XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

here we go again!

Just voicing an opinion - last you'll hear from me on the subject.

Kaitan

As you said, only The LEGO Group makes UCS sets, and they do vary in scale. At least, they do now.

This is one of my bugbears.

UCS isn't a scale at all. UCS stands for Ultimate Collectors Series, something that only TLG can produce and sell. Anything that proclaims to be UCS that isn't a set from TLG is just a well built,(in most cases) highly detailed, MOC.

MOC's are not rare collectable sets.

Kaitan

That is true, but what many people overlook is the fact that 7191 and 7181 (the original UCS sets) were both built to roughly 1:28 scale, causing many MOCers to refer to that as "UCS scale". Any TIE MOC using the windscreen piece from 7181 and 10175, such as Walter Kovacs' series, can be considered to be in "UCS scale". Anio is correct, however, in saying that "minifigure scale" usually just means that a minifigure can fit in the cockpit.

"UCS" is also loosely used among MOCers to label highly detailed MOCs that are either very large or significantly larger than 'minifigure scale'.

Hi, I'm venturing into a diorama Star Wars Lego, I would need some minifigures Jawa, at BL, but the costs are very high, as forecasts of set for release in June is also the "Jabba's palace," I wanted to know if ista has already some pictures or some rumors about possible new minifigures Jawa maybe would cost less than the old ones present at BL, so expect if it were June, you know something?

Hi, I'm venturing into a diorama Star Wars Lego, I would need some minifigures Jawa, at BL, but the costs are very high, as forecasts of set for release in June is also the "Jabba's palace," I wanted to know if ista has already some pictures or some rumors about possible new minifigures Jawa maybe would cost less than the old ones present at BL, so expect if it were June, you know something?

Check the 2012 Pictures and Rumors topic, but to answer your question, no, there aren't any pictures.

So I see lots of people saying that their models are either minifigure scale or UCS scale. I know what the former means, but I was under the impressions that only TLG makes UCS models and that they vary in scale. I mean... look at the MF compared to the recent SSD. So what does "UCS Scale" actually mean?

As you said, only The LEGO Group makes UCS sets, and they do vary in scale. At least, they do now.

That is true, but what many people overlook is the fact that 7191 and 7181 (the original UCS sets) were both built to roughly 1:28 scale, causing many MOCers to refer to that as "UCS scale". Any TIE MOC using the windscreen piece from 7181 and 10175, such as Walter Kovacs' series, can be considered to be in "UCS scale". Anio is correct, however, in saying that "minifigure scale" usually just means that a minifigure can fit in the cockpit.

I fully agree with the explanation given by fallenangel309. However, it might be worthy to note that some people also make a distinction between minifigure scale and system scale.

Though both scales are built to accommodate minifigures, with minifigure scale the model is built in a size and proportion that is appropriate for the size of a minifigure, whereas system scale tends to be smaller while still trying to portray the essence of the model.

To illustrate this point, just compare minifigure scale 10212 Imperial Shuttle with system scale 7166 Imperial Shuttle. Or minifigure scale 10179 Millennium Falcon with system scale 7965 Millennium Falcon. From these examples you can see that official releases in true minifigure scale usually are also part of the UCS range.

I fully agree with the explanation given by fallenangel309. However, it might be worthy to note that some people also make a distinction between minifigure scale and system scale.

Though both scales are built to accommodate minifigures, with minifigure scale the model is built in a size and proportion that is appropriate for the size of a minifigure, whereas system scale tends to be smaller while still trying to portray the essence of the model.

To illustrate this point, just compare minifigure scale 10212 Imperial Shuttle with system scale 7166 Imperial Shuttle. Or minifigure scale 10179 Millennium Falcon with system scale 7965 Millennium Falcon. From these examples you can see that official releases in true minifigure scale usually are also part of the UCS range.

From the definition you've provided, System seems to describe a 'size' rather than a 'scale', but I suppose this is still an important distinction to make.

While the topic is on scale - how many Lego SW sets are minifig scale? I've got the 6208 B-Wing which I feel is just the right size, and obviously 10179 Millenium Falcon and 10212 Shuttle. I'd love a good X-Wing, Y-Wing and snowspeeder to go with the other minifig scale ships, but there are so many now its hard to tell by pictures what would work best.

(And an A-Wing, but the MOC creations are much better than any of the sets IMO)

Edited by Ewok85

as much as i want any release of jawas highly unlikely, jabba appeared ep VI, jawas ep IV :sceptic:

as much as i want any release of jawas highly unlikely, jabba appeared ep VI, jawas ep IV :sceptic:

That's a great shout- might be lucky and get two of them.....

I reckon it's mainly going to be Jabbas guards and droids though, there is scope for a jawa and tusken raider bp though.

FYI Jawas and Jabba have history behind the scenes

Can anyone please tell me how big the current falcon is when assembled?

Thank you :)

Just watched ROTJ the other night, and there are a couple of Jawas in Jabba's palace. For all we know, Lego might decide to drive the up even higher than it's going to be already by including a couple of them.

While the topic is on scale - how many Lego SW sets are minifig scale? I've got the 6208 B-Wing which I feel is just the right size, and obviously 10179 Millenium Falcon and 10212 Shuttle. I'd love a good X-Wing, Y-Wing and snowspeeder to go with the other minifig scale ships, but there are so many now its hard to tell by pictures what would work best.

(And an A-Wing, but the MOC creations are much better than any of the sets IMO)

First of all, going off the size of the pilot in the cockpit of the studio model, I would have to disagree with that initial statement; 6208 seems too small. :wink:

'Minifigure scale' is very broad and based more off of how the set 'looks' next to a minifigure, so it's probably easier to tell when a set isn't in 'minifigure scale'. It would be quite time-consuming to eyeball and compare references to every single set, so I'll just address your issue of an X-wing, Y-wing, and snowspeeder in minifigure scale...

Among LEGO snowspeeders, 7130 is probably the size most appropriate for a minifigure; the 4500 clones all feel too big. Again looking at the cockpit, I think either 7658 or the upcoming 9495 could work for the Y-wing. For the X-wing, try this one. :classic:

Edited by fallenangel309

Now there's something I always wanted to know: is a "minifig scale set" a set or model where you can fit a minifig inside the cockpit/cabin/whatever or is it made truly to minifig size :look:?

Now there's something I always wanted to know: is a "minifig scale set" a set or model where you can fit a minifig inside the cockpit/cabin/whatever or is it made truly to minifig size :look:?

In my mind minifigure scale is if the ship is in proportion with minifigures. If you can fit a minifigure in it is system scale. E.g. Plo Koon's Jedi starfighter is minifigure scale and The home one is system scale

Your question was already answered on the last page:

You just do not care of the scale. You build a model. If you can put a minifig in it, then the model is minifig scaled.

It's that simple.

Just to be certain, so then if a minifig fits in the model, it's "minifig scale" independent if the model is actually out of scale in relation to the real thing?

Just to be certain, so then if a minifig fits in the model, it's "minifig scale" independent if the model is actually out of scale in relation to the real thing?

No. If you can fit a minifig into it and it does not have the correct scale and/or proportions compared to minifigs, that's System-scale. If you build it with correct scale and proportions, it's minifig-scale regardless of whether you can fit a minifig into it. Scale is just building a model to the correct size; being able to fit a minifig into it would fall under playability, functionality, or accuracy, depending on the type of builder you are.

What Anio is saying is that it's better to start building at a scale where 'everything clicks', and all the pieces can make the shapes you want. If you can fit a minifig into it when you're done and if it turns out to be reasonably close to the correct scale for a minifig (somewhere between 1:30 and 1:40, usually), great for you, dub it minifig-scale. That's a great strategy when you're building UCS-'scale', which, like System-scale, doesn't really have any set scale, just a definition of overall impressiveness and accuracy, but if you're purposely trying to build minifig-scale, you're going to need to be shooting for that before you even put any bricks together. I usually like to start with wherever the pilot is going to sit (or stand), and build outwards from there.

The UCS- and System-scale circles need to overlap, too. Technically, 10221 is System-scale.

The UCS- and System-scale circles need to overlap, too. Technically, 10221 is System-scale.

Ah, forgot about that game changer.

System isn't really a scale...

VERY interesting :thumbup:.

So basically most SW models are really system scale? At least I have the impression that most models should be bigger if they should be in-scale with minifigs.

And one last thing, why is it called system scale?

I have some question!

I bought it on Ebay, the seller said that it is one of two gold chrome lego Boba... But I don't believe it! Friends, could you help me - is it fake or not? It also came with plated silver. You could read about them there. My friends from our russian forum say that it is fake... What do you think about it?

0_6120d_22cce7ab_XL.jpg

0_61218_bf9e2eaa_XL.jpg

0_61216_27e36f47_XL.jpg

Thank you. :sweet:

I have some question!

I bought it on Ebay, the seller said that it is one of two gold chrome lego Boba... But I don't believe it! Friends, could you help me - is it fake or not? It also came with plated silver. You could read about them there. My friends from our russian forum say that it is fake... What do you think about it?

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

Thank you. :sweet:

Fake. TLG never made a Chrome Gold Boba, only a pure bronze one and the promotional white one. Thus, you have here a genuine fake. :tongue:

Fake. TLG never made a Chrome Gold Boba, only a pure bronze one and the promotional white one. Thus, you have here a genuine fake. :tongue:

Did you read brickpedia? There are such words:

Comic-Con in 2010, a competition was held, where the winner would receive a one promotional white Boba Fett, along with one of two 14 karat gold minifigures, and one of two sterling silver minifigures. The three minifigures were presented in a frame with a certificate of authenticity. These gold and silver variants were in the mould of the Boba Fett released prior to 2010. The other gold and silver Boba Fett minifigures were given away during Star Wars Celebration V.

VERY interesting :thumbup:.

So basically most SW models are really system scale? At least I have the impression that most models should be bigger if they should be in-scale with minifigs.

And one last thing, why is it called system scale?

Most sets are System, and most of those are within the acceptable range for minifigure scale. MOCs are all over the place.

System comes from what The LEGO Group used to label sets that were designed to be compatible with minifigures:

dsc09689.jpg

I'm not sure why everyone keeps adding '-scale' to the end of it, though.