stebai

Polar Express MOC

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Thought I'd share my latest build. I really only usually work on designs for my Winter Village but i always pined for the Emerald Night train but the ridiculous cost held me back. When I saw the Lone Ranger Train set on special I bought it and set my mind to building a train that would fit my needs, the Polar Express. In all honesty much of the design is a complete lift of the EMERALD NIGHT but I had to rework the entire front end of the engine and I wanted to create a Mail Carriage on the back to accommodate the "Hobo" and letters to Santa etc.

It is motorized and I think looks a treat, the only problem is the dust that the black bricks tend to show. I honestly dusted them all prior to the photo's. I wish i could have taken a nice long photo of the whole train but it is nearly a meter long and my poor white box just couldn't accommodate the full article.

I hope you enjoy the photo's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/103845615@N04/sets/72157636072660493/with/10031708705/

The train itself looks great ,but im not totally sold on the colour of the train car though.

hi kermit - the train car is really difficult to ascertain the colour of. I have watched the movie several times and once whilst i was making the train. I googled images and the best lego likeness to the light blue with a hint of grey was the medium blue brick ( i tried with light bluish grey but it looked dull and even more wrong.) Happy to bow to someone with a better image and always happy to improve my model accordingly. I've seen green used but it absolutely is not green in the movie or the stills. The windows would have ideally been dark red but alas lego do not make them in that colour.

2362_385.jpg

Edited by stebai

You are right a darker red would of looked better, but you did an excellent job with the pieces you have and the research photos.

Very nice. I like what you have done with the modifications to the EN. The black engine and tender look great, but you are right, the dust really shows in the photos and would probably not be visible at normal viewing distance. The Mail car is very nice, I believe a word that sums up the short Mail car is "cute".

Overall... Great job!

Andy D

Is it just my computer or does the album say (No such photos found)

I don't see the train pics either. I see a big black square on my iPad.

I don't see the train pics either. I see a big black square on my iPad.

Me neither. How curious.

Hey stebai could you post a direct link to the source pictures so that we can check it out?

...and by the way totally digging the Sweep icon - he rocks!

Thanks for the link! I like the color scheme you've chosen - it works really well. And those Letraset letters with the many coats of lacquer are well done.

Looks good and I some of the changes you made to the EN is a nice improvement, e.g., using the grilled cheese as steps. The cars seem like a good hybrid between the EN coach and the PE. I've not seen the movie, but I would think the observation car should be full length and perhaps make the mail car the first car behind the engine (but I am thinking like a real train, not necessarily true to the story).