Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

I don't see why electronics should be banned. If anything, a shrunk model containing electronics is even more impressive because of the space constraints.

37 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I don't see why electronics should be banned. If anything, a shrunk model containing electronics is even more impressive because of the space constraints.

I worried it because we already banned electronic when doing studless contest.

Edited by msk6003

If shrinking will happen, then electronics question will be significant - do we need to keep the same electronics functions or not :) This is also issue for me, as chosen set has electronics, and I'm thinking, if it will be possible to fit them. I would like to, as it should really add to "value". But I think that keeping electronics  should not be a must, but motorising set, which wasn't motorised - not sure. I think, it shouldn't.

Anyway, if there won't be this type of contest, I will build what I have planned, that could be main reason, I already ordered some few parts in needed color.

I don't really get why we would need electronics for a shrinking contest. But if it makes more people happy, I am okay to allow it.

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

I don't really get why we would need electronics for a shrinking contest. But if it makes more people happy, I am okay to allow it.

I think it's okay to allow it if the original set already had the electronics included.

Part of the fun of shrinking a set is deciding which functions to keep and how to change them so they fit in the smaller space. A rule expecting to keep the same functionality would ruin this fun.

Edited by Erik Leppen

1 minute ago, Jim said:

@Ngoc Nguyen and @msk6003 have you voted for the current contest?

:D

I think electronics should be allowed as in most recent contests. Maybe even third party components?

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Can I just not? I'm not interested in the current contest or the entries.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

For the model I'm working on, the original model has motorized functions. If the shrinking involves only to reduce all the motorized functions into manual functions with direct drivetrain, it's not much of a challenge. Shrinking and keeping the same functions and keeping them motorized within smaller constraints is the fun part for me.

11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Can I just not? I'm not interested in the current contest or the entries.

I am not always interested in hosting a contest either, yet I still do it to let you guys have some fun. In return it would be great if people actively casted their votes, regardless of the subject of the contest. Just sayin'

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I didn't vote because there was only 1 interesting model, so I couldn't decide on the other 5.

Unlike @Ngoc Nguyen, the model I am considering has electronic functions as a core function, and there are even parts that cannot be used as a poweredup app, so I am thinking of using an RI hub.

Edited by msk6003

2 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I didn't vote because there was only 1 interesting model, so I couldn't decide on the other 5.

That sounds a bit condescending if you ask me. It's not very nice to the participants and in my opinion it's not something I would post in public.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

That sounds a bit condescending if you ask me. It's not very nice to the participants and in my opinion it's not something I would post in public.

It did not mean other entry is bad. It just means it's not my taste.

4 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So is mine.

I don't know what you're building, but unlike most motorized models that can work function even manually turning the motor shaft, mine is just a pile of bulk without the motor.

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am not always interested in hosting a contest either, yet I still do it to let you guys have some fun. In return it would be great if people actively casted their votes, regardless of the subject of the contest. Just sayin'

I voted. When the captain calls for it, I'd oblige!

I think the next competition shouldn’t be a shrinking one if we’re got people already having a go at it … just let the last competition finish first everyone.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I think the next competition shouldn’t be a shrinking one if we’re got people already having a go at it … just let the last competition finish first everyone.

Hmm is this such an advantage in a TC about shrinking? Most models will be rather small anyway...? When somebody makes a TC suggestion, they may already have a certain fitting model in mind :wink:

23 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Hmm is this such an advantage in a TC about shrinking? Most models will be rather small anyway...? When somebody makes a TC suggestion, they may already have a certain fitting model in mind :wink:

I’ve got no idea as yet but fancy doing something random

On 4/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Jundis said:

Actually, that is something I'm having a bit of problems with. I know its inevitable, but it seems people are already lining up multiple potential entries to the shrinking contest.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:52 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I voted. When the captain calls for it, I'd oblige!

Thanks!! :wub:

27 minutes ago, Jim said:

Actually, that is something I'm having a bit of problems with. I know its inevitable, but it seems people are already lining up multiple potential entries to the shrinking contest.

Why is this a problem though? And even if it is, there is no guarantee that this didnt happen in past contests. People might just happen to have WIP projects that fit with the contest theme.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

And even if it is, there is no guarantee that this didnt happen in past contests.

Absolutely. That's why I said it's inevitable.

1 minute ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

People might just happen to have WIP projects that fit with the contest theme.

Happening to have a WIP is different than suggesting a contest for something you have been working on already.

I don’t ever start a build until I know what the full set of rules are going to be. For the shrinking one I’m still also looking through sets and thinking what would I like to shrink and I’m thinking possibly an older model rather than a recent one but apart from that I’ve drawn a blank

5 hours ago, Seasider said:

I don’t ever start a build until I know what the full set of rules are going to be.

Exactly. Also before nearly every TC we had posts here stating "I already have a cool idea".

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Happening to have a WIP is different than suggesting a contest for something you have been working on already.

I know what you mean, still it's just an idea (or in my case four ideas :D), the rules define how a model should be built.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

If you're talking bout me, I just suggested the topic. I know nothing of the rules, and there's a chance that what I have is ineligible for the contest after the rules are out anyway. And what I have is not a complete model.

Even if it happens to be eligible, how might it affect the fairness of the contest or give me an unfair advantage, assuming that's what you're concerned about? I can see that it might allow me to finish my entry earlier, but that can hardly be considered unfair.