Sign in to follow this  
LukefromNJ

Review: 60020 Cargo Truck

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Released as part of Lego's "Cargo" subtheme, this set is intended as a companion set for the 60021 Heliplane and 60022 Cargo Terminal.

9687559595_4dce1cc994_c.jpg

9687558501_91fb35c124_c.jpg

3 bags, 2 booklets, 1 sticker sheet. In bag 1 came the parts for one of the minifigs, the handtruck, pallets and loads, and forklift. Bag 2 had another minifig and parts for the truck cab and frame. Bag 3 held parts for the truck's cargo carrying space.

9690799218_3802a293ab_c.jpg

Contents of bag 1:

9687557263_f372340386_c.jpg

To be honest, I found the choices of cargo to be a bit odd. The motor seems much larger than the kind of motor that would be found on the logger's ATV, and I'm pretty sure the fuel cans are NOT the kind of cargo that would be loaded onto a plane!

9687555249_39d7747e64_c.jpg

That said, I really like the build and detailing of the engine itself; I see this as having plenty of potential for either an MOC vehicle of some sort, or for those building a diorama of a garage or maintenance depot or similar facility.

Also included in bag 1 is a forklift, an orange (and somewhat diminutive by comparison) version of the forklift in the cargo terminal set:

9687554587_8cd3b29706_c.jpg

9687543543_b6fc12f614_c.jpg

As usual, I replaced the offset rooftop beacon with a central cone:

9687554115_c1b4b188d6_c.jpg

Just like the forklift in the terminal, this forklift uses a rubber band to keep the fork in a raised position.

Bags 2 and 3 contain the truck itself, and I must admit it is quite a good-looking vehicle (I especially like the streamlined section on top of the cab!):

9687552595_5564bd370f_c.jpg

In Lego, there's often a certain amount of balance between functionality and realism. In this set, it seems like realistic appearance was sacrificed somewhat for ease of loading and unloading (maybe they should have somehow made the truck look more like a "curtainside" design?):

9690793140_623bc82623_c.jpg

9690792670_ffe9c0ec36_c.jpg

One thing I really like with this truck is how the grille is mostly made of bricks:

9687549773_45ace0681f_c.jpg

Compared to many other recent city trucks ,which are much more likely to use just one row of bricks plus a large sticker. In this respect, the cab reminds me of the somewhat older 3180 tanker truck (cab pictured to the left) than its more contemporary companions (pictured on the right):

9687550335_73cdca9890_c.jpg

The entire set:

9687549251_cb1d9e4767_c.jpg

My thoughts: a pretty good set overall (I like the back-to-basics approach to the grille), let down somewhat by its odd choice of cargo and high price (40USD compared to 20-30USD for most of the other vehicles, although admittedly the forklift is much more substantial an accessory than what you usually receive with a vehicle set consisting of a single truck). Works much better as a component of the cargo terminal series than on its own:

9687547959_bdef9e58cd_c.jpg

On the balance, I would give it a 7/10 on its own, and an 8/10 in conjunction with the other cargo sets.

Hey! Thanks for the review. This is a cool set, albeit slightly pricey. Hope I can find it on discount somewhere.

What kind of trains are you running, HO?

Joe

Thnax for the review :thumbup:

Quite good looking set. I would like to see something else than the Scania type of truck TLG have done over and over though

Also somewhat pricey

What is more impressive is that this truck can carry exactly the same number of pallets as that massive cargo plane!

Then you must be really impressed with the 7733. Four pallets for 15USD less .. and that was only 5 years ago

7733-1.jpg

Actually, the cargo plane can carry at least 4 pallets.

Empty pallets, yes you could get 4 in there. Full pallets as supplied by Lego with the set, without modification to the height of the plane or the pallets, The door won't shut with more than 1 in each cargo section of the plane, but that's a discussion for the other topic, back to the trucks, both the truck from this year plus the one from 5 years ago are great sets, I think this years is slightly over priced, I would have put it at £17.99 rather than £24.99 in the UK but I notice Argos since launch have already been selling it at £20, so there is hope.

The price really does this set in. I want and would gladly buy 2 or 3 of them if this was a $30 set. $40 is too much, especially when 60025-Grand Prix Truck is $30 and only has 6 fewer pieces.

I have 7733, but I kind of like more compact nature of this set. Lego seems to be trying to do more with less, probably due to rising costs of materials and import/export. Thanks for the review!

When I got the 60020, preferred it over the 7733.

I didn't especially wanted to keep the trailer of the old one, but I already applied stickers to that set.

So I didn't apply stickers to the new one and recycled the trailer of the old one into cargo part of the new one:

HE57mWo.jpg

It also has the advantage of having two matching trucks.

Does the cargo area of the 7733 open sideways as well? Also, is the 7733's forklift operated the same way as the one in this set?

Does the cargo area of the 7733 open sideways as well? Also, is the 7733's forklift operated the same way as the one in this set?

Yes, it opens from the side also. The forklift has a different design though.

You can load at least 5 pallets on the plane if you fit them sideways-2 in front, at least 3 in back.

i modified my plane and now it can fit 8 pallets and 12 boxes by opening up the middle