SkaForHire

Book II - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Tudor walls aren't really standard, so they're ok. The wiki doesn't actually specify what the possible wall techniques are; it just lists a few possibilities. If anyone has a few more examples, I'm happy to add them to the list.

So if a student has another non-standard wall technique they can use that? I was under the impression that it had to be one of the five (?) listed there. If not, we should probably mention that somewhere.

Got any ideas?

Err... not really! Three directions was about all I could come up with before. A bit of an expanded definition would admittedly be nice. Let's see... Multiple direction SNOT using small pieces to achieve a stunning effect, preferable if smooth and rounded? :tongue: (That's about as vague as anything else, I guess!)

What do you all think of 52 subjects, with four subjects max per build, and four possible advanced placement credits. That means someone would have a minimum of 12 builds to complete the entire program. Does that sound about right? ...

• Add two more subjects if we want to have 52 of them

Yes, that sounds good. Do we have anything to do with Astronomy yet? Or maybe something underwater?

• Name the program. Should we stick with "Master of Historica"? Or "Kaliphlin Building Academy"? "Historica Building Curriculum"? "Building Mastery Program"? "Building Proficiency Program"? Other ideas?
  • Produce a small build to go with the announcement? Perhaps a professor lecturing? Would be cool, but unfortunately this would slow down the launch, especially if I had to do it, as work is really busy now.

I might be able to produce a small build, say in two or three days. Is that soon enough?

As far as the name, I like Master of Historica, but since that is one of the titles achieved it might not be a good name. Technically I suppose this is the Petraea University course, so maybe that could be reflected in the title? Maybe something like "Petraea Masters Academy"? Kaliphlin Building Academy is pretty good too.

The way I understand this, each discipline is analogous to a degree? And each subject is a module you would complete and once you've completed/passed enough modules you would be awarded the degree in the discipline. Seeing as how you cover most subjects that would be studied at UoP anyway, in the MOCs students will produce, I'd lean towards having the University of Petrea in the title- separate it a bit from the awarded title, as that's an academic qualification. Maybe "University of Petrea Masters Degree Course". That might be a bit long. Although grandiose titles go quite well with academia. I'd lean away from building, if you're looking for an in-universe name, as although everything will be built, not all the subjects relate to technique- there's content there as well. Anyway, just a couple of mostly incomprehensible ramblings (with interspersed long words).

Changes made to the wiki to reflect the above discussion.

It is very well written! (one notices that a lot of thought went into the program)

Although - for Abu Ali it will be a bit hard to become an Apprentice or a Bachelor again...

Anyway, the lessons he is looking for are not taught in a lecture room...

Produce a small build to go with the announcement? Perhaps a professor lecturing? Would be cool, but unfortunately this would slow down the launch, especially if I had to do it, as work is really busy now.

I might be able to produce a small build, say in two or three days. Is that soon enough?

Maybe you could use a picture of Gabes truly wonderful lecture hall? (if he agrees?)

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=87781

I think this would represent the dignity of our grand university very well.

By the way, fellow Kaliphlins...

road_into_darkness_3.jpg

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88244

Do not loose trust in Abu Ali

He has to follow his heart...

Edited by Christoph

Maybe you could use a picture of Gabes truly wonderful lecture hall? (if he agrees?)

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=87781

I think this would represent the dignity of our grand university very well.

What build could better represent the program? If Gabe doesn't protest, that's the build!

Ok, i'm going to have a stab a couple of definitions:

Advanced SNOT - A build where any (1 or 2? depends on how hard we want to make it) of the following conditions is met: a) studs in 3 or more directions, b) studs on angles other than 90 or 180 degrees to the perpendicular, c) the majority of studs in the build in a non-vertical direction (eg. sideways or upside down building) or d) the use of anti-studs as texture in signifigent sections of the build. (Ref. here)

Brick built animals - Show competence in realistically rendering animals made out of greater than 10 elements each. Scale can be whatever the builder desires.

note: number of elements was taken from the rooster in set 10193+1, as a guide to the complexity of the build required. Should we make it more complex than this do you think, or is this a good benchmark?

Reviewing guidelines - Moc must not only show competence in the subjects being assessed, but consistent effort and attention (although not neccacerily competence) must be displayed in all other areas of the Moc as well. (eg. a well constructed house on a baseplate with no surroundings would be invited to re-submit for architectural subjects) In addition, Mocs which bring the good name of Petraea University into disrepute will also be invited to re-submit. (for instance, i can imagine someone cheekily making a moc that shows university staff in compromising situations etc. :wink: Just a clause to protect the reputation of the uni.)

Just a thought: should we institute a "board of appeals" if the builder feels that they have been unfairly assessed on a subject or subjects? Sort of like a tribunal of a few (3 to 5 maybe?) Kali members who will rule on any disputes.

Oh and i am totes fine with pics of my lecture theatre being used for the launch. :thumbup::classic: (I can take more pics if ppl would like different close-ups? Maybe a generic member of each guild being welcomed to the uni by the dean etc?) Saves ppl having to build something from scratch!

ps. I reckon we should go with "Doctorate of Historica" degree program, as it seems more accurate given the title one ends up achieving when they complete the course.

pps. Can we add "movement and lighting" to the General building (other techniques) section? Stuff like light bricks and LED's, PF's, even brickfilms if anyone wants to go down that road! :excited:

So if a student has another non-standard wall technique they can use that? I was under the impression that it had to be one of the five (?) listed there. If not, we should probably mention that somewhere.

The wiki now (hopefully) makes it clear that the list is just examples, and non-exhaustive at that.

Yes, that sounds good. Do we have anything to do with Astronomy yet? Or maybe something underwater?

There is an underwater subject under Hydrology. I think we can skip Astronomy for now.

Thanks for the offer, but let's go with Gabe's offer of his lecture hall. Saves you the trouble.

The way I understand this, each discipline is analogous to a degree? And each subject is a module you would complete and once you've completed/passed enough modules you would be awarded the degree in the discipline.

Yes, each discipline gets you a Bachelors or Tradesmans degree.

Seeing as how you cover most subjects that would be studied at UoP anyway, in the MOCs students will produce, I'd lean towards having the University of Petrea in the title- separate it a bit from the awarded title, as that's an academic qualification. Maybe "University of Petrea Masters Degree Course". That might be a bit long. Although grandiose titles go quite well with academia. I'd lean away from building, if you're looking for an in-universe name, as although everything will be built, not all the subjects relate to technique- there's content there as well. Anyway, just a couple of mostly incomprehensible ramblings (with interspersed long words).

Good points. I'm leaning towards Gabe's "Doctorate of Historica" suggestion.

It is very well written! (one notices that a lot of thought went into the program)

Although - for Abu Ali it will be a bit hard to become an Apprentice or a Bachelor again...

Anyway, the lessons he is looking for are not taught in a lecture room...

Ah, but the beauty of the program is that you can rack up certifications as you continue your normal building schedule, as the program is non-exclusive -- builds that are submitted to the program can be used in other challenges and so on. The goal of the program is really to get you to build in a wide variety of styles, techniques, and subjects, perhaps out of your comfort zone.

What build could better represent the program? If Gabe doesn't protest, that's the build!

Oh and i am totes fine with pics of my lecture theatre being used for the launch. :thumbup::classic: (I can take more pics if ppl would like different close-ups? Maybe a generic member of each guild being welcomed to the uni by the dean etc?) Saves ppl having to build something from scratch!

Good suggestions, and thanks Gabe for letting us use it! We probably really only need one good pic. I like your idea of the uni dean welcoming guildmembers.

Ok, i'm going to have a stab a couple of definitions:

Advanced SNOT - A build where any (1 or 2? depends on how hard we want to make it) of the following conditions is met: a) studs in 3 or more directions, b) studs on angles other than 90 or 180 degrees to the perpendicular, c) the majority of studs in the build in a non-vertical direction (eg. sideways or upside down building) or d) the use of anti-studs as texture in signifigent sections of the build. (Ref. here)

I like it. Will maybe wordsmith a bit and update the wiki.

Brick built animals - Show competence in realistically rendering animals made out of greater than 10 elements each. Scale can be whatever the builder desires.

note: number of elements was taken from the rooster in set 10193+1, as a guide to the complexity of the build required. Should we make it more complex than this do you think, or is this a good benchmark?

That's good; I'll combine with what's already there.

Reviewing guidelines - Moc must not only show competence in the subjects being assessed, but consistent effort and attention (although not neccacerily competence) must be displayed in all other areas of the Moc as well. (eg. a well constructed house on a baseplate with no surroundings would be invited to re-submit for architectural subjects) In addition, Mocs which bring the good name of Petraea University into disrepute will also be invited to re-submit. (for instance, i can imagine someone cheekily making a moc that shows university staff in compromising situations etc. :wink: Just a clause to protect the reputation of the uni.)

Yes! And yes.

Just a thought: should we institute a "board of appeals" if the builder feels that they have been unfairly assessed on a subject or subjects? Sort of like a tribunal of a few (3 to 5 maybe?) Kali members who will rule on any disputes.

Good idea.

ps. I reckon we should go with "Doctorate of Historica" degree program, as it seems more accurate given the title one ends up achieving when they complete the course.

I like it. My favorite name so far.

pps. Can we add "movement and lighting" to the General building (other techniques) section? Stuff like light bricks and LED's, PF's, even brickfilms if anyone wants to go down that road! :excited:

Yes, I'll have to figure out how to add it. It should probably be an optional subject, as not everyone has those bricks. Maybe under General ,as a "one of: lighted builds, movement, brick films..." subject. Probably need to throw something else in that's not brick-constrained; except then everyone will choose that subject.

I don't have time to update the wiki right now, but will do that later tonight, and will post back here to let you all know when that's done. Thanks for the feedback you all! I think we're getting a lot closer.

Sounds like we are close to opening the university! All we have left to do, it seems, is to get the picture of Gabe's lecture hall for the announcement, update the wiki one last time with the recent suggestions,, and decide how to run a board of appeals.

Wow, you guys have been very busy sense I was gone. I do have one question : Is The University of Kaliphlin open to all guilds or just Kaliphlin? If it is open to all guilds, why? To me it seams like this is Kaliphlin's (better) version of Age of Mitgarda, which is only open to Mitgardans. But I guess it is really up to you higher ups.

Edited by LegoDrake

I would be keen on giving Kaliphlinites a more prestigious title, or have a few exclusive degrees, but I am also OK with opening it up to others. Besides, that just means that those outside Kaliphlin who enroll are getting a good Kaliphlin education, its a bit of charity from the greatest guild in Historica to those less fortunate.

uniintro2rs3eb.jpg

Ok, how is this for an intro photo? Dean and Assistant Dean welcoming students from all the 5 guilds. (yes i know that we won't attract too any Valyrian students to begin with, but who knows? The guild might get opened up for members some day and we should be inclusive from the get-go, right? :wink: )

note: Not bright enough perhaps? Should i brighten it up some more do you think??

Wow, you guys have been very busy sense I was gone. I do have one question : Is The University of Kaliphlin open to all guilds or just Kaliphlin? If it is open to all guilds, why? To me it seams like this is Kaliphlin's (better) version of Age of Mitgarda, which is only open to Mitgardans. But I guess it is really up to you higher ups.

Ah, but when it comes to higher learning, there is no place for petty inter-guild rivalrys! What are we all here for, if not to improve ourselves as builders? :thumbup:

The photo looks fine Gabe, but I'm no photography expert. And I guess you are both right, the only rivalry at the University should be between the Sand-Worms and Qarkyr Tech. :classic:

Edited by LegoDrake

That looks perfect Gabe!

I'm inclined to agree that it's a bit counterproductive that the free-building project we run will also drive competing free-building in the other guilds. But for GoH as a whole this project is of course awesome! So some extra perk for Kaliphlin members (maybe that only Kaliphlin members can earn the tag) would probably be in order.

I agree that it is a bit of a shame that we encourage free-building in other guilds almost as much as Kaliphlin, but we've always been the most inclusive guild, so I think we should open it up that way. If only Kaliphlins were able to get the tag, that would be a good extra motivator.

Excellent! No more work on the photo front for me then. :classic:

<snip> And I guess you are both right, the only rivalry at the University should be between the Sand-Worms and Qarkyr Tech. :classic:

Haha, too true! Now i want to see someone make a moc of a match between the two sides! :laugh:

In the "in game" context, I don't see any problem at all to include characters from other guilds as students...on the contrary I think it fits Kaliphlin very well to have an academic tradition of students from all over Historica!

Its the competitive edge in the scoring system we erode when we open up to other members. But I don't think it's a big problem, since they would of course have been able to build those free-builds anyway :wink:

Anyway, seeing how successful AoM has been in producing free-builds I am really keen on getting this going!

Great opening photo! I think opening this to everyone will be all right, because it will still be largely Kaliphinites who participate.

I agree, but I don't see any reason Ska needs to try to persuade the powers that be to give out a tag to anyone else than Kaliphlins :wink:

My latest free-build, and probably my last one for a while:

10707167015_6c35d72c49.jpg

My latest free-build, and probably my last one for a while:

[...]

Sorry to hear that, are you going to be away from your bricks? (Or just focusing on he challenge...? :wink:)

Edited by Gideon

Sorry to hear that, are you going to be away from your bricks? (Or just focusing on he challenge...? :wink:)

Away from (the majority of) my bricks... :cry2:

Actually, just to let you all know, I'm going to be disappearing anytime now...

Away from (the majority of) my bricks... :cry2:

Actually, just to let you all know, I'm going to be disappearing anytime now...

That's never fun...hope you get back to your bricks in due time!

That's never fun...hope you get back to your bricks in due time!

Actually it will be quite a while. But I'll be taking the more important pieces and will probably get time both to build and get some more! :excited:

Actually it will be quite a while. But I'll be taking the more important pieces and will probably get time both to build and get some more! :excited:

Good to hear that at least, I guess that means you will be around in the community still as well?

This thread is to be used for tracking your builds for the University of Petraea's Doctorate of Historica program. You are responsible for tracking your own progress through the program in this thread.

[...]

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Post them in the main Doctorate of Historica thread, so we don't clutter this thread up.

Good tracking thread NM! I already started a post there, how do we handle when participants like me are claiming credits for recent builds? For example when I decide what to claim in my builds, will people head over to their respective threads and approve or disapprove those claims? (in my case since they already are dismantled, disapproving will result in me retracting the claim since I obviously cannot improve those points and reshoot)

I would btw advice you to put a link to the discussion thread in the tracking thread first post (I did for example not find that very easily when I wanted to write this so I wrote here instead because I'm lazy :wink:)