Sign in to follow this  
datune

[10218] Why is there a 1x4 tile...

Hello,

I just opened my 10218 set and started to build the town house first. In step 3 of the instructions there is a black 1x4 tile along with a 1x1 plate placed between a grey 2 x 4 brick. What completely baffles me is that in step 12 three 8 x 8 plates are used to completely cover up what I think is supposed to represent a basement. Which basically means, there is no way anybody will ever get to see that tile and plate, so why put it there in the first place? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for enlightning me ;-)

005.jpg

014.jpg

They put it in as a spacer to ensure you placed that 2x4 brick in the right place. I immediately put it in my pile of spares.

This has started in City sets too over the last few years. I think it's a method to help people put correct spacing between important elements, but seems pointless in a modular set!

Thanks eurotrash, your explanation makes perfect sense, although I am suprised to see that they employ such simplification techniques in a set ment to be for 16+...it does seem completely pointless...

I was wondering about this as well, and thought that it somehow stabilized the baseplate (and thereby the structure as well)? That was just a wild guess on my part as I'm no structural engineer.

Joe

I built that not too long ago but I don't even remember that part. I guess I didn't question it. I should take it apart and put it in my spares in case I need it down the road.

Thanks for sharing.

I remember that when I built it I didn't put that plate, I rather kept it to put it with the spare parts

I had originally thought what Hey Joe said. I had assumed that they put it in there to stabilize the brick. Whenever I place a Brick on a baseplate like that it doesn't hold well because its in the centre with no support. I think the other reason is to act as a guide piece to its location on the baseplate as was mentioned. Lego rarely puts something in a set that doesn't have a purpose.

Edited by Wodanis

II think the other reason is to act as a guide piece to its location on the baseplate as was mentioned.

But did they really need to put it there as a spacer? As seen in step 3, the baseplate is still empty enough so the 2x4 brick could be placed into right position by counting the studs, and nothing is obstructing the view around it either.

True Kivi but to the inexperienced builder perhaps it is necessary. There is also another possibility, that using the set to build something else in the design phase they needed that extra part? Should we all ask TLG why it is there? :wink: