just2good

Disney Princess 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Today at Walmart I found the polybag Rapunzel's market visit for $3.97. Also available were new polybags from Lego friends such as Stephanie's bakery stand and Emma's flower stand. All three of these were for the same price and are heavily in stock.

If somebody can show me how to make up review on EB I would be happy to review the sets (as long as I am allowed to make reviews).

As it has been stated before, Disney Princesses is a separate brand, and as a result requires a separate license. There are certain requirements set by Disney that a character has to meet to be included in the Disney Princesses line. Also any toys based on this line have to meet certain criteria.

Now if Maleficent becomes a major hit, it is possible we will see a Disney Villains line some time in the future. This possibility is slim, but there.

As it has been stated before, the licensed themes more focus on a scenario of a story. If the "Princess" line does mean it restricts the story, this line wouldn't succeed. The current problem is not whether more princesses would appear, but many existed princesses haven't appeared in this line.

But then again judging from the longterm cooperation between Disney and Lego we can still see that more non-princess Disney themes can be made in the future, as least hope the return of PotC5 :grin:.

Well I agree that that topic belongs to the general discussion. It better suspends now.

No it doesn't depend. Market sales are data. They sold a lot, and more girls are now into Lego due to this gender-oriented toys.

Gender-oriented toys have an advantage that those who weren't interested in Lego (whose themes were neutral or boys-oriented) be interested in this line. But then again, the choice belongs to the consumers whether they just stay in a certain theme they're interested in or is willing to meet more different themes and the toy stores. The other problem is so far the amount of "girls-oriented themes" are still few, compared with the core boys-oriented part. We don't know if there can be more licensed/nonlicensed themes for girls such as Disney Channel commedies.

Maybe I missed it but is there a review of the Cinderella's castle set? I recently was able to buy 2 of these for the price of 1, damaged boxes from a dealer on CL. Anyway, after putting one of the sets together I was a bit disappointed. The castle is pretty but is much smaller than expected. Not to mention it has only 1 play feature really, the spinning disc for making the mini dolls dance. That is another gripe of mine that there were only 2 mini dolls. The set has some nice pieces, nothing too special though. To be honest I doubt I would have ever bought one at full price.

What is really missing from this whole disney princess line are the iconic Disney villians. What about Ursula the Sea Witch? Maleficent the evil queen? How about a Cruella DeVille set with her white limo? And how about few more mini dolls in the bigger sets? I like the concept and the sets are pretty, but I feel there is something missing.

Edited by B.C.

What is really missing from this whole disney princess line are the iconic Disney villians. What about Ursula the Sea Witch? Maleficent the evil queen? How about a Cruella DeVille set with her white limo? And how about few more mini dolls in the bigger sets? I like the concept and the sets are pretty, but I feel there is something missing.

A lot of people feel the same. No villains is kind of boring. I mean based on the minidolls included this theme would be better off being called "Princess date night." But for now it doesn't look like things will change. Disney controls their franchises pretty tightly, and it's been pointed out that the princess franchise has a strict list of guidelines for what characters are involved, usually only the princesses and possibly their love interests, so I wouldn't expect the inclusion of villains as of now.

However I do think if movies like Maleficent take off than eventually Disney might be inclined to rethink their strategy. And it is possible that Disney in the future might opt to have a separate theme for upcoming movies (Like the Cinderella remake), so hypothetically there's no reason villains couldn't be included in that scenario. Next year could bring a lot of surprises.

I also want villains but let's be honest. Based on the fact there are not too many sets, large scenes and stories in the first wave, it's hard to discuss. Only a sceond wave can bring more comparisons. It's like complaining no Green Latern in any Superhero set. For now the problem you talked about might only happen in the two largest ones since both only have two figures despite their product size.

The only villian that was really missing from the scenes seems to be Gothel. The castle one doesn't really need villians (Cinderella's family), but Godmother and her animal friends are nice additions to this. The Friends animals are just totally confusing additions.

Edited by Dorayaki

The villians are the counterpart for the heros. What if there was no joker, or the riddler, and such. It would be just a bunch of ambiguous guys wearing spandex.

You are right that we need to wait for the second wave to be sure, so for now i will hold off buying any more princess sets.

Maybe the issue is with the disney themed sets overall. They seem like they aren't very well thought out or maybe tthey just put forth as little effort as possible in the design. Maybe the designers have a strict set of guidelines handed down by the corporate side when it comes to disney. The line has potential, but is it directed at little girls only so much so that it loses its appeal to the afol types?

Maybe the issue is with the disney themed sets overall. They seem like they aren't very well thought out or maybe tthey just put forth as little effort as possible in the design. Maybe the designers have a strict set of guidelines handed down by the corporate side when it comes to disney. The line has potential, but is it directed at little girls only so much so that it loses its appeal to the afol types?

Judging from the fact Frozen, the most recent Disney animated theatrical film, wasn't promoted by TLC like what they did with previous Lone Ranger, it does look like that TLC haven't determined to make the whoe thing. The recent Simpsons theme is a similar case. It might not be due to a gender-oriented marketing strategy (I personally despise that). Most likely, TLC is waiting for a seasonal financial statement before they can design another wave.

Regardless of that, the subcharacter issue and some other details mean that these sets could have been better. I believe Disney is powerful enough to be sold to the general markets that include adults and families.

I just really wish we could see villians. They make the whole thing exciting. Come on LEGO! The Disney sets are finally here! Don't miss the boat! You know... I'm okay if they don't put villians in these sets, but then they SHOULD create a line with more accurate colors and with the villians too! These sets are already too "cute" :hmpf_bad::sadnew:

Personally, I have given up hope that this line is ever going to be what we want it to be. It's close and yet so far. :sadnew: I think they should just create a separate Disney line with minifigs and movie-accurate colors which is geared more towards boys. That way they wouldn't be so limited to girly sets that only include princesses and princes and could include villains and other characters as well. They could have it co-exist with the Disney Princess line, much like how Friends co-exists with Lego City. That way they could make everyone happy and it would make a lot more sense than putting their money and effort into one-off themes based on Disney's unpopular live-action films.

I think that having a separate Disney Animated canon line that coexists alongside the Princess line would be ideal: I like the currend Disney Princess line is fine the way it is, but that just might be me....

Personally I'd like to see more pricesses, particularly Mulan, Jasmine & Belle.

Personally, I have given up hope that this line is ever going to be what we want it to be. It's close and yet so far. :sadnew: I think they should just create a separate Disney line with minifigs and movie-accurate colors which is geared more towards boys.

Pretty much agree. Even though honestly the Disney princess-related stories do mostly target at girls, most Disney classics are able to target at a wider range of customers such as AFOLs and parents who have been in that era.

As others said, the current problem is more like that this themes doesn't expand as quickly as Superheroes, which is an worthy opponent. TLC doesn't look very sure of what to do next. Before another wave of minidolls we can't even discuss the "villian issue".

Edited by Dorayaki

I'd love to see Maleficent, Jafar and probably Medusa :wub:

I was thinking... maybe LEGO can make a line based on the videogame "Kingdom hearts"? I think it's a good excuse to make the whole thing boy-oriented this time. :sweet:

I was thinking... maybe LEGO can make a line based on the videogame "Kingdom hearts"? I think it's a good excuse to make the whole thing boy-oriented this time. :sweet:

Nah, don't think about it. Sorry I'm not meant to be mean.

First, the achievement of video game licenses in TLC is usually difficult (eg, SW game characters from LucasArts), Second, products or crossover adaptions need to majorly focus on original characters so you can't expect them to do the whole thing, just think about how many licensed and existed characters appear in TLM physical sets? This is why toy companies aren't active in getting this license. Third, this video game series doesn't have too much progress recently, which is a pity, or not to me :tongue: .

Especially in point 2, the over-focus on original story part is somewhat the major problem of KH series. Sofia and other Junior shows could be better choices in your suggestion, but they mostly end up as Duplo versions :sceptic: .

Edited by Dorayaki

You're so right.

Well, purist Disney sets are of course even better :sweet: If this ever happens (in minifig form), I just hope they stick to the original versions of the characters, because LEGO used the newer and cloying versions of the princesses for their minidolls. Glad they didn't mess with the boys.

Edited by Otherworld

I'm honestly surprised they didn't jump on the Frozen bandwagon. That might have had some potential. But half of us would be complaining due to the overload of that movie. But classic movie sets would be nice, too, although many of the characters (especially the villains) would be restricted by the mini-doll shape.

Edited by 8BrickMario

There can never be too much Frozen full stop.

I can't see them not making at least one set, heck, a subtheme could work out considering in the UK everything is sold out related to that film.

(Shut up I love it).

It seems an oversight to not include frozen when the launch of the theme and the movie happened in the same year.

Perhaps the choice of movie titles to be released as sets was decided before Frozen hit the cinemas or even if it was only in post-production or even while still in production ?

I think the reason why there haven't been any Frozen sets yet is because Elsa and Anna aren't part of the Disney Princess brand yet. If they would have made Frozen sets, it probably would have required a separate license. I think TLG is waiting for Disney to officially announce Elsa and Anna to be the twelfth and thirteenth Disney princesses, which will probably happen sometime this year. Once that happens, there should be nothing standing in the way of Frozen sets.

Oh, I never said I hated it, but many people wish that everyone would just stop talking about it and let it go. :laugh:

I know Anna will probably be a Princess, but since Elsa was technically coronated but rejected her crown later, does that make her a queen or a princess? I feel like she was still treated as the official Queen of Arendelle, so maybe Disney will bend the rules for her, like they did with their temporary inclusion of characters like Esmeralda and Megara in their lineup. If they made an "Elsa's Ice Palace" set, I would be all over it. I wonder if her coronation outfit would ever be made, since the Queen hairpiece (the one with the tiara hole) is almost a perfect match for her hairdo there, but the ice dress would definitely be made, since that's her most iconic (or is it still to early to use that term here?) outfit.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I think the reason why there haven't been any Frozen sets yet is because Elsa and Anna aren't part of the Disney Princess brand yet. If they would have made Frozen sets, it probably would have required a separate license.

Uh, I don't think so. Only four of the currently titled princess's have appeared in Lego world, and Anna's case isn't based on the fact that all of them are in. I'm inclined to repeat that TLG didn't determine to make furthur waves, or they're waiting for something. Also the demand of Frozen is related to the movie hit factors, unless TLG decided to change there strategy this year (Galaxy Guardians, huh?).

Plus, again TLC doesn't really have to care that title if they're permitted, or maybe they're not going furthur with Disney, in the worst case? :cry_sad:

I know Anna will probably be a Princess, but since Elsa was technically coronated but rejected her crown later, does that make her a queen or a princess? I feel like she was still treated as the official Queen of Arendelle, so maybe Disney will bend the rules for her, like they did with their temporary inclusion of characters like Esmeralda and Megara in their lineup.

That's quite complex. There are enough issues with those princess's who are actual protagonists but didn't join the cast, not even to think about Madellaine, Penny, Lilo and tons of "ordinary" heroines, I personally don't think the heroines you referred need to get this title (that include Mulan), and this offtopic issue is only inside the Disney company.

Due to the restriction of time and memory, I guess current kids would ask for Elsa's LEGO products more than Madellaine or Megara. And unfortunately non-princess heroines are usually less remembered (not just because of Disney's Princess franchise marketing strategy, but also an original sin of "fairy tales"), It's like that only Superheroes are remembered in superheroes' stories.

Edited by Dorayaki

I know Anna will probably be a Princess, but since Elsa was technically coronated but rejected her crown later, does that make her a queen or a princess? I feel like she was still treated as the official Queen of Arendelle, so maybe Disney will bend the rules for her, like they did with their temporary inclusion of characters like Esmeralda and Megara in their lineup.

Yes, Elsa is a queen at the end of the film.

I don't think Meg and Esmeralda were ever part of the lineup. As far as I know, only Tinkerbell was ever a temporary member. However, they did bend the rules for Mulan quite a bit who isn't a princess in any way, so Elsa shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Uh, I don't think so. Only four of the currently titled princess's have appeared in Lego world, and Anna's case isn't based on the fact that all of them are in. I'm inclined to repeat that TLG didn't determine to make furthur waves, or they're waiting for something. Also the demand of Frozen is related to the movie hit factors, unless TLG decided to change there strategy this year (Galaxy Guardians, huh?).

I don't think there's any doubt at this point that Frozen is a hit. Don't you think TLG would have capitalized on that by now if there wasn't some kind of licensing issue? The license that TLG currently holds is for the Disney Princess brand, so I'm pretty sure they are limited to the eleven princesses that are currently within that brand (along with their respective princes and animal companions). So until Anna and Elsa join the lineup I don't think they can release sets based on Frozen within this theme.

I don't think there's any doubt at this point that Frozen is a hit. Don't you think TLG would have capitalized on that by now if there wasn't some kind of licensing issue? The license that TLG currently holds is for the Disney Princess brand, so I'm pretty sure they are limited to the eleven princesses that are currently within that brand (along with their respective princes and animal companions). So until Anna and Elsa join the lineup I don't think they can release sets based on Frozen within this theme.

Um, they wouldnt have had time yet, ......