JSN

40078 Hot Dog Cart Review

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello,

Welcome to my first review, July's free set for orders of £50 or more, 40078 Hot Dog Cart! As this is my first review I welcome any comments and criticism to improve any future reviews I do.

Name: Hot Dog Cart

Number: 40078

Year: 2013

Theme: Creator (but I am reviewing here as it fits nicely into a city IMHO)

Parts: 31

Minifigs: 2

Price: Free with purchases over £50 from S@H UK

First a look at the polybag, nothing much to report, just a lady buying a hotdog!

9476200315_10ffa5c7ff_c.jpg

Next up the parts: two figs, a bike and all you need for a hot dog cart

9476174343_c4b5dc5f3e_c.jpg

As you would expect from a free set there are no special or unique pieces here. The only one that really stands out for me is the bike in a colour Bricklink calls "medium azure" (I call it sky blue :classic: ). I have never seen this colour before but BL says it is in Town Square and some Friends sets which makes sense since they wouldn't put a unique colour in a freebie :grin:

9478943594_f2295ce5cb_c.jpg

Now for the instructions. The first page shows the early steps while the second completes the build and takes up the remaining space with pics of Town Hall and Palace Cimema

9476191011_9622429243_c.jpg

9476182695_e006b27683_c.jpg

The set comes with two minifigs, the hot dog seller and a customer. The seller is nothing special but I do like the lady customer, its always good to have more ladies in town!

9478953052_565a17ddd7_c.jpg

Now for the final build.

9476146779_0e0369b839_c.jpg

Overall this is a great little freebie set. The cart design is really nice, the female fig is excellent and I love the new bike colour. This would fit in nicely with my Lego town if it was built just now!

9476209269_fede09a7ae_c.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed my first review and I welcome your comments.

Thanks for the review 'JSN', the head on the hot dog vendor looks new....he has a goatie beard on his chin. :wink:

It's far better design than the old BBQ stand impulse set from from a few years back. :wink:

Handy to score another light blue bicycle.....I might have to try and buy one of these sets. :blush:

Brick On Review On 'JSN' ! :grin:

Thanks for sharing! I never had a sky blue bicycle, only red ones. :tongue: Maybe this would be a good set to get one of those, with a couple of minifigures! :wink:

Edited by Esurient

the only real criticism of this "set" is the lack of a black hotdog piece.....

:sweet:

Good review of a nice little set...

..though I could do without Maradona's Hand of God as your profile picture :classic:

A neat little impulse set. I've seen this all the time on eBay recently and I may just have to get this one. One question: Does the male minifig have a double-sided face? I seem to remember seeing that head having a scared face on the other side, but then again maybe this one has a single side done (Much like the orange sunglasses-wearing Alien Conquest face used in some 2012 police sets which have a single face as opposed to AC's double sided head)

Thanks for all the comments guys.

A neat little impulse set. I've seen this all the time on eBay recently and I may just have to get this one. One question: Does the male minifig have a double-sided face? I seem to remember seeing that head having a scared face on the other side, but then again maybe this one has a single side done (Much like the orange sunglasses-wearing Alien Conquest face used in some 2012 police sets which have a single face as opposed to AC's double sided head)

Yes, the male's head is double sided.

The hot dog vendor has this head here, it's not new but it hasn't been used in a City set before.

I do like that even though this set is very small, it has two hinge parts and a few accessories including tomato sauce and mayonnaise. I think the bicycle should have had a headlight, but it's easy enough to get a spare one of those.

Can't wait to get my hands on this set! When I made a big purchase last month the store ran out. I called Lego, they checked my VIP and saw I made the purchase, checked if they had any and luckily they did. Sent one to me free of charge!

Edited by legomaniac83

The hot dog vendor has this head here, it's not new but it hasn't been used in a City set before.

I do like that even though this set is very small, it has two hinge parts and a few accessories including tomato sauce and mayonnaise. I think the bicycle should have had a headlight, but it's easy enough to get a spare one of those.

Isn't this a Creator Set, not a City set? Or does it matter because it can be used in City stuff?

On the picture, of the polybag, it says 39 pieces, but you said it only had 31. It's not a problem, just thought I should point it out. Sorry if it's any trouble. :sceptic:

Isn't this a Creator Set, not a City set? Or does it matter because it can be used in City stuff?

Well it's being reviewed in the City forum, but it's a head that hasn't been in Creator sets either. I think technically the review should be in the Special Themes forum, being a Creator set, except that having minifigs and no alternative builds, it fits in better with the City theme anyway.