Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

Well, I'm following quite a few forums on Lego SW in different languages and have yet to discover one in which people are "voicing plenty of calls for another Sandcrawler" as opposed to for example an AT-AT... :sceptic:

But on a softer note, it's true that minifig-wise (and sadly exclusively minifig-wise) it could be an interesting set.

well, 10,000 votes for the CUUSOO of Marshall Banana's incredible UCS version (which I think was even motorised and lit, but I might be confusing two different ones) suggests there is a strong demand for one, and as this has had only one incarnation, unlike the 3 AT-ATs, that would be something else in its favour... and, as you say, it would also be an excuse to get some more minifigs which haven't already been done to death.

If it is a sandcrawler I'd be happy with that, I missed out on the first one so this would be a great chance to fill in that hole from my collection. Would be nice to see a few more jawa's floating around. All we need is some tuskens to come out as well, I cannot remember the last time they were released in a set.

I think the only set Tuskens came with was Anakin's Ambuh in 2002, a set witch I hade and the only things I can find of that set is the minifigs!

well, 10,000 votes for the CUUSOO of Marshall Banana's incredible UCS version (which I think was even motorised and lit, but I might be confusing two different ones) suggests there is a strong demand for one, and as this has had only one incarnation, unlike the 3 AT-ATs, that would be something else in its favour... and, as you say, it would also be an excuse to get some more minifigs which haven't already been done to death.

Yes, but what you don't take into account is that even I clicked 'support' on that thing, and it's not that I'd like one on my shelf done in UCS scale (the cuusoo model has nothing to do with what we call UCS); it's a mere recognition of a masterpiece reproduction that count way over 10.000 pieces. You do a 1m tall AT-AT with that level of detail, then we'll talk figures and "calls for" the "UCS". But under no circumstances would the majority of AFOL community prefer Sandcrawler UCS over AT-AT on equal footing.

Edited by Spyderlord

They could do with an update, maybe we will get some with the rumoured Sandcrawler,

Since when has there been a rumour about a Sandcrawler?!

Since when has there been a rumour about a Sandcrawler?!

An initiated person gave a lead on brickset forum leaving 3 possibilities for a May UCS: an AT-AT, Cloud City and Sandcrwaler. Cavegod eliminitated AT-AT as UCS, but confirmed it in other scale which leaves the other two. Some simple logic ruled out the Cloud City and voila :classic:

You can find that discussion here. Start from page 14 approx.

An initiated person gave a lead on brickset forum leaving 3 possibilities for a May UCS: an AT-AT, Cloud City and Sandcrwaler. Cavegod eliminitated AT-AT as UCS, but confirmed it in other scale which leaves the other two. Some simple logic ruled out the Cloud City and voila :classic:

You can find that discussion here. Start from page 14 approx.

Thanks for that. :classic: I don't know how I could of missed that information. Why was Cloud City ruled out though?

Thanks for that. :classic: I don't know how I could of missed that information. Why was Cloud City ruled out though?

Well, first and foremost because it's a Cloud City, the most expected set of the universe that would set a landmark for generations of sets to come, send the Death Star to retirement and create a sense of emptiness in a year to follow :sweet:

But more seriously, because that kind of set you market differently (you start dropping small hints like 2,3 years in advance like they do for Ep. VII now :tongue: ). They need a mid-popular set that will find its market but not overshadow Slave I that will be 'the' hit of the year (comparaison of popularity - Sandcrawler : Slave1 = Coruscant Police Gunship: X-Wing :classic: )

Just common sense actually, can you actually picture Cloud City coming out just like that?

Well, first and foremost because it's a Cloud City, the most expected set of the universe that would set a landmark for generations of sets to come, send the Death Star to retirement and create a sense of emptiness in a year to follow :sweet:

But more seriously, because that kind of set you market differently (you start dropping small hints like 2,3 years in advance like they do for Ep. VII now :tongue: ). They need a mid-popular set that will find its market but not overshadow Slave I that will be 'the' hit of the year (comparaison of popularity - Sandcrawler : Slave1 = Coruscant Police Gunship: X-Wing :classic: )

Just common sense actually, can you actually picture Cloud City coming out just like that?

Oh right, well I'm still very happy with a Sandcrawler. :grin: Do you think it will have an interior like the old one, and minifigures like the old one to?

Edited by Legoman123

Doesn't matter because I would take any of them.

"Some simple logic ruled out the Cloud City and voila "

I'm not seeing the simple logic.

1. The DS has been rumored to be retired for years now.

2. The Slave I will probably be in the $200 range and the Executor will be departing, leaving a $400 hole on the shelves to fill.

3. The Slave I fits so very well with Cloud City.

4. TLG is in this business to make money. Why continue to hold off on something that will sell incredibly well?

Yes, but what you don't take into account is that even I clicked 'support' on that thing, and it's not that I'd like one on my shelf done in UCS scale (the cuusoo model has nothing to do with what we call UCS); it's a mere recognition of a masterpiece reproduction that count way over 10.000 pieces. You do a 1m tall AT-AT with that level of detail, then we'll talk figures and "calls for" the "UCS". But under no circumstances would the majority of AFOL community prefer Sandcrawler UCS over AT-AT on equal footing.

AT-AT 1m tall would not only be way bigger than minifig scale, there would be SERIOUS balance/stability issues, not to mention the fact you would still be looking at around 6000 pieces minimum. Not going to happen.

And I for one, would prefer a Sandcrawler UCS over an AT-AT.

(I already have a minifig scale AT-AT :P)

Oh right, well I'm still very happy with a Sandcrawler. :grin: Do you think it will have an interior like the old one, and minifigures like the old one to?

I seriously doubt that. UCS are more of a precision challenge, minifig scale (if possible), they are for display mostly. My guess is they might make an attempt at a "bridge" kind of detail like they did on SSD, but full interior, no way.

"Some simple logic ruled out the Cloud City and voila "

I'm not seeing the simple logic.

1. The DS has been rumored to be retired for years now.

2. The Slave I will probably be in the $200 range and the Executor will be departing, leaving a $400 hole on the shelves to fill.

3. The Slave I fits so very well with Cloud City.

4. TLG is in this business to make money. Why continue to hold off on something that will sell incredibly well?

First, there have been rumors about that for a long time, sadly, I never found out where they originated, coz every time TLG official spoke on the subject, he underlined of how strong the sales of that set still were. On the subject of retiring they were always like: 'Yeah, all sets retire eventually' without ever being more specific.

Second, I am not sure about 200 $€£ mark. My guess is they'll have to make a special cockpit piece in order to satisfy to the precision criteria, probably some more unique pieces, I believe it will fare more like IS around 260±20 $€£. As for the ~400 mark, they didn't hit it since SSD. This year UCS and 'UCS' were 209 and 249 respectively.

And lastly, as per the money making argument, in order to make serious money, you need serious marketing, and I totally see TLG pulling that move after Slave I, somewhere in 2015. Marketing-wise you go small thing than the star, not vice versa. And as mentioned before: Sandcrawler << Slave I << Cloud City.

But hey, this is all purely hypothetical ofc, it goes without saying I'd be delighted to see that set, it's just, I don't have a feeling for it right now.

AT-AT 1m tall would not only be way bigger than minifig scale, there would be SERIOUS balance/stability issues, not to mention the fact you would still be looking at around 6000 pieces minimum. Not going to happen.

And I for one, would prefer a Sandcrawler UCS over an AT-AT.

(I already have a minifig scale AT-AT :P)

Ok, lawyered by an expert MOCer :laugh: Very true, but also besides the point. Take cavegod's AT-AT if you wish, there are "calls" all over the net and it was still way less detailed than the humongous thing they did on cuusoo for Sandcrawler. And, well, if you went to all the trouble bricklinking cavegod's marvel, heck, I understand you, Sandcrawler all the way :tongue:

Edited by Spyderlord

I seriously doubt that. UCS are more of a precision challenge, minifig scale (if possible), they are for display mostly. My guess is they might make an attempt at a "bridge" kind of detail like they did on SSD, but full interior, no way.

First, there have been rumors about that for a long time, sadly, I never found out where they originated, coz every time TLG official spoke on the subject, he underlined of how strong the sales of that set still were. On the subject of retiring they were always like: 'Yeah, all sets retire eventually' without ever being more specific.

Second, I am not sure about 200 $€£ mark. My guess is they'll have to make a special cockpit piece in order to satisfy to the precision criteria, probably some more unique pieces, I believe it will fare more like IS around 260±20 $€£. As for the ~400 mark, they didn't hit it since SSD. This year UCS and 'UCS' were 209 and 249 respectively.

And lastly, as per the money making argument, in order to make serious money, you need serious marketing, and I totally see TLG pulling that move after Slave I, somewhere in 2015. Marketing-wise you go small thing than the star, not vice versa. And as mentioned before: Sandcrawler << Slave I << Cloud City.

But hey, this is all purely hypothetical ofc, it goes without saying I'd be delighted to see that set, it's just, I don't have a feeling for it right now.

Ok, lawyered by an expert MOCer :laugh: Very true, but also besides the point. Take cavegod's AT-AT if you wish, there are "calls" all over the net and it was still way less detailed than the humongous thing they did on cuusoo for Sandcrawler. And, well, if you went to all the trouble bricklinking cavegod's marvel, heck, I understand you, Sandcrawler all the way :tongue:

Agree. There's too much speculation.But your thoughts are more plausable. Edited by frank_day

And yet another Anakin, but I don't mind because he looks cool! I really like his face! His torso is not special, but it looks pretty good on him.

He looks so boyish. I think I prefer the '05 expression. Leg printing looks good here, though; it doesn't stand out too much.