Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

A character that is known for losing his arm might not be great for a Lego set where removing arms off mini-figs too many times usually results in breaking the arm piece completely.

It's not as if he's the only character lose an arm. Luke and Anakin both lose arms in the second movie of their respective trilogies. Plus replacement parts can be bought from Lego, so it's really not a big deal.

Edited by strangely

I think it is an awful shame that the back of the bar is open, It really doesn't make much sense to me at all.

I was just at my TRU here in southern CA(USA) and there was no new sets at all to be seen...

Can't wait to finally find them though!

I think it is an awful shame that the back of the bar is open, It really doesn't make much sense to me at all.

I had said that since the image from the bar was released,I think that makes awful thegeneral structure

It's not as if he's the only character lose an arm. Luke and Anakin both lose arms in the second movie of their respective trilogies. Plus replacement parts can be bought from Lego, so it's really not a big deal.

The point was that Ponda exists to have his arm cut off, vs. main characters who are bigger than that. All I'm saying is there will be many broken Ponda arms.

The point was that Ponda exists to have his arm cut off, vs. main characters who are bigger than that. All I'm saying is there will be many broken Ponda arms.

Regardless there are plenty of other figures that have their arms broken. My brother destroyed most of his Star Wars figures as a child,not to mention all the gi joes who suffered much the same fate. Most likely ponda baba would not be the first to have a missing arm. Plus what others do with their toys is up to them, one can just pretend without breaking anything.

Edited by Darth Punk

So what? Half the minifigures anymore seem to break just standing on a shelf (At least three minifigures a year arrive messed up for me, printing, cracks and otherwise). And Ponda was used in the expanded universe too, so his purpose eventually grew beyond the arm cutting. The fact of the matter is you can't stop kids from pulling apart minifigures, so it's unfair to say it shouldn't exist just because kids might be more prone to break it.

So what? Half the minifigures anymore seem to break just standing on a shelf (At least three minifigures a year arrive messed up for me, printing, cracks and otherwise). And Ponda was used in the expanded universe too, so his purpose eventually grew beyond the arm cutting. The fact of the matter is you can't stop kids from pulling apart minifigures, so it's unfair to say it shouldn't exist just because kids might be more prone to break it.

I'm not saying he shouldn't exist; preferably there'd only be one Bith to include more new characters. I'm just thinking about what TLG will do and things they probably consider. While I think this set calls for Ponda, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not there.

Well if the +2 new minifigs doesn't apply to the cantina that means the squidwards could be,three separate figs.

I find this response interesting because I had the opposite response :/

I think I follow your logic Darth Punk: you assumed the +2 meant there would only be two "new" figs. Instead now you think there may be three?

Whereas I believed there were three, but now seeing only six figs listed I conclude that the squid ward must represent three of the same, otherwise they would list the three separately.

Do you really think that they would just not list some characters Darth Punk?? I'm inclined to want to believe you as, although I'm excited for a Bith, any argument for less than three of them will be latched upon at this point :)

Thanks Darth Punk!!

And Ponda was used in the expanded universe too, so his purpose eventually grew beyond the arm cutting.

Really? Someone actually bothered to write a backstory for that.... "character"? :hmpf:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't know if we need this Ponda Baba guy as a minifig, whoever he is.... But I sure hope that this time around the Cantina comes with a WALRUS MAN!!

(Aaaaand relax. I KNOW. It's a joke.)

A character that is known for losing his arm might not be great for a Lego set where removing arms off mini-figs too many times usually results in breaking the arm piece completely.

The point was that Ponda exists to have his arm cut off, vs. main characters who are bigger than that.

:thumbup:

TLG considers hands+arms+torso to be one entire piece, because of the frail connections. Removal of an arm (which would be a compulsory play feature included in any playset featuring this scene. Apart from Han shoots Greedo, it's the only thing that happens) is considered "illegal" to TLG. So it makes no sense to include this obscure guy, who I never knew had a name up until debate over who would be included in this set.

There are 2 things of note regarding this guy. 1, he is really badly dubbed. 2, his arm comes off and bleeds everywhere (something that Lucas didn't think to "fix" in later editions for some reason).

Unless TLG decides to give us an extra torso with the arm not attached, but then you'd have to take off the legs and head and put them on the other torso - not a very fun play feature.

I don't know if we need this Ponda Baba guy as a minifig, whoever he is.... But I sure hope that this time around the Cantina comes with a WALRUS MAN!!

LOL - well, I think you're funny Elijah ;)

:laugh: I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that.

Edited by Darth Punk

We have now gotten Ree Yees, Max Rebo, Barada and Teebo, none of whom have lines. Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan DO have lines (even though Ponda's lines are in Aqualish) and they directly interact with Luke. Even though you may not be familiar with them, they have a relatively large part in Star Wars (as side characters go) and they do have a history in the EU.

I was happier when the 2 "new" figs were attached to the Cantina. If the 3 squidwards are walking together, they may not be Bith at all, which would be very disappointing.

I'd rather just have some Jawas. Those d00ds who briefly scuffle with Obiwan just kind of die/get defeated.

Edited by BrickG

Neither of them die. I could see a Jawa, but then maybe we would get Garindan as well.

Hey guys this isn't 100% credible but from what I saw and was told a portion of the isd has a sort of conference room and there's not going to be a escape pod I belive

Hey guys this isn't 100% credible but from what I saw and was told a portion of the isd has a sort of conference room and there's not going to be a escape pod I belive

Have you seen the catalogue?

:laugh: Thank you!!

Walrus man is how my original Kenner action figure package read when I was a kid (back in ~80-82, whenever I got that particular figure).

And then of course my buddies and I had our own non-family friendly nickname for him around the playground of course. :wink:

Walrus man is how my original Kenner action figure package read when I was a kid (back in ~80-82, whenever I got that particular figure).

Anyone old enough to remember the original kenner figures will recall walrus man, hammerhead and snaggletooth. I think this is part of the reason why people want these characters in Lego form, because in addition to Greedo these three came out very early on in the Kenner line and many people had them as kids.

You know, the creator of the Cantina set is probably reading these pages and p**sing himself laughing at the huge speculation that it has generated. And Lego on the other side is rubbing their hands in anticipation of all the fat profits they will make selling this set (even though it is a pathetic half finished attempt).

Anyone old enough to remember the original kenner figures will recall walrus man, hammerhead and snaggletooth. I think this is part of the reason why people want these characters in Lego form, because in addition to Greedo these three came out very early on in the Kenner line and many people had them as kids.

Indeed. As children the cantina was a very cool place and it was fun to have anything,connected to it.

I know some could care less about ponda baba, but you have to remember its the vast array of characters that has been a part of why Star Wars is still big today.