just2good

Super Heroes 2014 Rumors & Discussion

Just a thought, TMNT has that giant croc bigfig, any chance of a Killer Croc? :wink:

I really do want to see a redesigned Killer Croc. He is the only villain we are missing that hasn't been redesigned since the original Batman license.

I really do want to see a redesigned Killer Croc. He is the only villain we are missing that hasn't been redesigned since the original Batman license.

But can they use parts from other licenced themes for other licenced themes? :classic:

What about when Wally replaced Barry? Wally is undeniably the superior Flash.

Or when Hal replaced Alan Scott?

A: you're right and Wally flash will be special to me because of the DCAU, and Hal replacing Alan was needed. But I personally don't see the fuss over teen super hero successors. Especially since I'm now lost in the void that is this topic.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a redesigned Killer Croc is in the pipeline. Whether it would be like Leatherhead from TMNT or a different approach is hard to say. I guess it depends where LEGO get the character design from how he would turn out.

*EDIT* I find it weird how I'm not overly concerned about DC yet find myself posting more about it in here than I do about Marvel. Strange...

Edited by Star Wars NutJob 69

Right now all the fad is marvel, all I see is iron man figures everywhere, spider man toys and hype of the captain america the winter soldier movie, everywhere, you can go to any store and find that the sets gone are marvel. It's killing me right now, Batman is not that popular, they canceled BtB, the next batman movie is with ben affleck, although I have hopes, I don't think the sets will be awesome, I mean they will repaint the batman suits dark blue and grey, and which other batman suits we and give superman a new costume and get an alternate version of wonder woman... The closest thing we got coming is 1966 batman figures on 1/6 scale, but all I see is marvel figures left and right, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

DC isn't giving LEGO any source material. Their next movie is in 2016 and Beware the Batman is seemingly cancelled. There has been a resurgence of Batman '66 due to the shuffling around of rights. Marvel, on the other hand, is chugging out two movies a year and has two successful animated shows. Plenty of material! DC needs to stop canceling and delaying, it's just not good business for them.

I think the Marvel sets need stronger marketing.

I understand that Lego's main audience is children, however children still have opinions on these sets- a 10-year-old won't suddenly think the Spider-Trike is cool 'just because it has Spider-Man in it'.

And instead of making loads of vehicles, why not make the X-Mansion? Loads of fans have been demanding an X-Mansion, and I guess it would sell extremely well.

And I too dislike the Comic-Con exclusives. And I can't really see how they're good for marketing either.

My guess is that they're waiting until after this DoFP movie is released to possibly do an x-mansion. Xmen obviously aren't as popular as the avengers and there hasn't been an xmen movie since like 2011 so I think we'll see it next year after xmen come back into the game and kids hopefully like DoFP. Of course I think it would've been best just to release the x-mansion alongside the movie but maybe lego is testing the waters with this blackbird set before they go all out with the mansion. Hopefully it sells really well so we get more xmen!

DC isn't giving LEGO any source material. Their next movie is in 2016 and Beware the Batman is seemingly cancelled. There has been a resurgence of Batman '66 due to the shuffling around of rights. Marvel, on the other hand, is chugging out two movies a year and has two successful animated shows. Plenty of material! DC needs to stop canceling and delaying, it's just not good business for them.

I agree with you 100%. That's why we're getting New 52 minifigs. DC Comics appears to only be working on comics right now, as well as the Batman/Superman Movie, and the animated movies. Obviously we're not going to see any Batman/Superman movie sets for a long time and although I'd love to see sets from the Dark Knight Returns and the New Frontier movies, I couldn't see LEGO making any because the animated movies are quite violent for children. The Flashpoint Paradox movie shows Thomas Wayne Batman shooting and killing people while Wonder Woman is lobbing off dudes' heads in her own animated movie.

However, I think a smart way for TLG to appeal to both the children and AFOL audiences would be to make sets based on the these animated movies even though they are violent. A lot of adults are into those movies, including myself, and we'd love to see a Dark Knight Returns set or an Emerald Knights set. Kids won't know the sets are based on the violent animated movies unless they've seen them. They'll still see them as Batman sets and will still have the desire to want them, while adults will want them because they're big fans of the movies and the comics. My 5-year-old nephew has a Dark Knight Rises Batman action figure that he loves but he's never seen the movie because he's obviously too young for such a dark and violent but yet remarkable film.

I think that's the way to go. We need to see sets from the animated movies. I also recall that LEGO made sets based on the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises movies so there's really no excuse why they couldn't give us these sets.

Right now all the fad is marvel, all I see is iron man figures everywhere, spider man toys and hype of the captain america the winter soldier movie, everywhere, you can go to any store and find that the sets gone are marvel. It's killing me right now, Batman is not that popular, they canceled BtB, the next batman movie is with ben affleck, although I have hopes, I don't think the sets will be awesome, I mean they will repaint the batman suits dark blue and grey, and which other batman suits we and give superman a new costume and get an alternate version of wonder woman. I collect Hot Toys, and I bought the 1:6 batmobile six months ago, but I have been waiting for the batman returns line since 2012 when it was announced and still nothing. The closest thing we got coming is 1966 batman figures on 1/6 scale, but all I see is marvel figures left and right, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

DC just doesn't have anything in the media right now. They have a movie every like 2-3 years? That's not enough to sell a line. Sure, batman and superman will always be popular, but that can't sell an entire lego line forever especially when you get the same thing over and over and over again. I know DC has animated shows on tv, though I'm not sure which ones because they keep canceling them and then adding new ones, but tv shows aren't seen by the amount of people that movies are. Marvel has up to 5 movies a year plus all the crummy tv shows. That can sell a line. DC needs to step up their marketing and have confidence in their own characters. They have some pretty cool ones if they would put them out there somehow.

My guess is that they're waiting until after this DoFP movie is released to possibly do an x-mansion. Xmen obviously aren't as popular as the avengers and there hasn't been an xmen movie since like 2011 so I think we'll see it next year after xmen come back into the game and kids hopefully like DoFP. Of course I think it would've been best just to release the x-mansion alongside the movie but maybe lego is testing the waters with this blackbird set before they go all out with the mansion. Hopefully it sells really well so we get more xmen!

That would make a lot of sense if Lego did make an X-Mansion for after the release of DoFP. But even if Lego don't, they can still see how much fans want it from the Cuusoo set.

That would make a lot of sense if Lego did make an X-Mansion for after the release of DoFP. But even if Lego don't, they can still see how much fans want it from the Cuusoo set.

I mean clearly there is a demand for it so as long as it has a nice design and unique and new figs, I'm sold.

Not to be nit picky or annoying, but technically marvel has 5 movies coming out this year if you include Fox and Sony.

I mean clearly there is a demand for it so as long as it has a nice design and unique and new figs, I'm sold.

Not to be nit picky or annoying, but technically marvel has 5 movies coming out this year if you include Fox and Sony.

Yea. I mean it does need to cost over £100 for it to be any good, so I think it should be a D2C set. Edited by Legoman123

Yea. I mean it does need to cost over £100 for it to be any good, so I think it should be a D2C set.

I would expect nothing less! No, I demand nothing less!

I don't understand why DC sets won't exist without Batman. How many DC sets have been made without Batman already to prove it otherwise? The Superman/Wonder Woman set is the only one I can recall. There may have been others. My point is this: how do we know that DC sets won't move without him? Batman is a fantastic character, and easily one of my favourites. Doesn't mean I want 50 variants and the same 5 vehicles rehashed ad nauseum. I think it all stems from DC's business philosophy. They don't take many risks, and when they do, less than 100% effort is put into it. Nolan's Bat-movies were incredible. Great stories and topnotch acting. They worked well for the Batman character. That same formula didn't work so well for Superman because he is such a different character. Not to mention that the story wasn't as strong. When I finished seeing Batman Begins, I knew who Bruce Wayne was and his motivation. Seeing Man of Steel, I had no idea who Superman was and even less about Clark Kent. And what I did see of the Superman character went against everything I know Superman to be. Then there's GL. The movie was OK, but way too rushed. I mean, Sinestro's corruption and his taking the yellow power ring is summed up in a stinger after the credits? Lame. DC flounders because they feel the audience can't suspend belief and accept the comic book character for what it is. DC won't develop a Wonder Woman flick because they don't know to approach the character? Tell that to Marvel. Thor has already had a sequel, Cap has a sequel next month, and Tony Stark is a household name. Their summer blockbuster features a talking, rifle toting raccoon. I wish that DC would wake up. Their fans and their characters deserve better.

You are right that there is no way of knowing that other DC characters won't sell sets, but I still think that is more of LEGO's problem than DC's (at least here). If Imaginext can release someone as obscure as Red Tornado or give Green Lantern multiple playsets, why can't LEGO? But I think that you are comparing DC to Marvel a bit much. What Marvel has done transforming Iron Man, Thor, and the rest of the Avengers into pop culture icons is an amazing feat, and they more or less did it on their first try too. DC did wake up late, so now they are walking into the room slowly rather than trying to steal all of Marvel's attention overnight. They did try that with Green Lantern, and...yeah. Besides, unlike Marvel, they don't have their own studio pouring out live-action two movies a year. Everything has to go through WB, and yeah, like you said, they are more wary of taking risks, especially after GL. Before that flopped, they were talking about making Wonder Woman, Flash, and even Hawkman films and hoping to get two out a year.

Marvel's popularity was rising astronomically when LEGO's line started, but DC/WB were within a few months of GL's failure and just getting back to the drawing board a fourth time (after Superman Returns wasn't what they were looking for and the fast-tracked Justice League fell through). I don't think that it results so much from a lack of faith in their characters, but more they don't have faith in the public accepting them as well as they have Iron Man and Captain America. Just imagine, "From the makers of Green Lantern comes Aquaman! He's kind of like Thor, but instead of controlling lightning and exploring celestial realms, he lives underwater and talks to fish!" And then there is Wonder Woman who would be under a lot of scrutiny from feminists and be trying to become a success despite women having a bad track record in action movies, especially superhero ones. (Not that Supergirl, Elektra, and Catwoman should decide that. :hmpf:). Green Lantern is taboo already, and then that leaves Flash who I'd say actually is a difficult character to get right. But hey, they actually are trying by giving him a pilot and then hopefully a TV show and movie.

Stan Lee was a very good businessman and back in the 60's he saw potential in the genre that DC wasn't catering to, and created characters like Iron Man and Hulk who, frankly, with their flaws are more interesting and relevant than a guy who is super strong, super fast, and super kind. Superman has grown to become more than that since, as all DC heroes have, because Marvel and DC feed off of each other (competition is a good thing) but he has had to undergo changes, most of which have been divisive (case in point, Man of Steel) whereas Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were smart enough to design characters who could stay relevant with little tweaking because they have very real problems at their cores. So yes, I do think that DC/WB is insecure about bringing their characters to the silver screen, aside from Batman, and they are scared of taking risks because every time they have it has blown up in their face (mostly because, like you said, they do it halfheartedly or just stupidly). DC knows that they want to get back in the game, but what they need to accomplish for that to happen is debatable and I have a feeling we will disagree based on taste as most do: You didn't like Man of Steel, but I did....

And besides, Marvel may be bringing a talking raccoon to the big screen, and I wish all the success for GotG and Ant-Man, but I will not buy that argument until Black Widow, Miss Marvel, Wasp, Squirrel Girl, or whoever gets her own movie. They built up brand recognition and confidence first, and then decided to introduce us to the quirky stuff. But still, they deserve a whole lot of credit for even trying....

From what I understand, it's more Cartoon Network's behavior than DC's. DC has had great cartoons the last few years which focussed on characters other than Batman, namely Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Young Justice, and even TB&TB and BtB tried something different. Again, I recommend reading this article. I think fans who miss Earth's Mightiest Heroes and The Spectacular Spider-Man should give it a look too.

I just wanna ask, because I loved it... is Young Justice still going? I only ever saw a couple of episodes, and I seem to recall having heard at different times that it was and wasn't cancelled. I'm assuming it was, if only because Lego would have no good reason to not make at least one set from it if it were still going.

I was mainly talking about movies that LEGO directly has rights to. But I see your point, together, there are five movies... Which further proves my point anyways. :tongue: LEGO is capitalizing off of X-Men being in the public eye with the Blackbird set. DC meanwhile has... Teen Titans Go? That's why we're beginning to see some uninspired vehicle choices (Batplane anyone?).

I count 4,

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Please enlighten me if I have missed one

EDIT: I may be mistaken, were you counting Big Hero 6?

Edited by Rinzler

I count 4,

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

X-Men: Days Of Future Past

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Please enlighten me if I have missed one

EDIT: I may be mistaken, were you counting Big Hero 6?

You are correct.

DC just doesn't have anything in the media right now. They have a movie every like 2-3 years? That's not enough to sell a line. Sure, batman and superman will always be popular, but that can't sell an entire lego line forever especially when you get the same thing over and over and over again. I know DC has animated shows on tv, though I'm not sure which ones because they keep canceling them and then adding new ones, but tv shows aren't seen by the amount of people that movies are. Marvel has up to 5 movies a year plus all the crummy tv shows. That can sell a line. DC needs to step up their marketing and have confidence in their own characters. They have some pretty cool ones if they would put them out there somehow.

Well they have Arrow, which would open up possibilities for green Arrow, arsenal, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Black Canary, Shado, Flash, Suicide Squad, Huntress, Birds of Prey, Amanda Waller, Ras Al Ghul, Nyissa Al Ghul, League of Assassins, Dr. Ivo, Merlyn, China White, Clock King, Shrapnel, Bronze Tiger, Royal Flush Gang, possibly Hive Queen, Brother Blood, Blackhawk, Firefly, Count Vertigo, Constantine Drakon, Dollmaker, KGBeast, Jean Loring (which opens the door both for Atom, and for Eclipso), Cyrus Gold (aka Solomon Grundy), with Harley Quinn looming in the next few episodes.

did I miss any? Just think how many of those you would love in Lego form? Add to that rumors that next season we will probably see Jericho and Ravager, plus we have seen some teasing of Ted Kord. If nothing else the show is slowly building up a Live Action Teen Titans. Sadly it is mostly ignored by Lego. Probably too dark and adult for the kiddies. (Plus it's like the top rated show on a channel that nobody even realizes they have.)

Plus they are spinning off a Flash show next year. Not to mention two of the last batch of season 2 episodes are literally titled "Suicide Squad" and "Birds of Prey". So figure somebody is exploring new show ideas.

But anyway, my point is DC does have a stronger media presence with a deeper pool of characters out there than most realize. If only TLG and WB would dip into it. (No really go back and look at that list of comic characters that have appeared in the show. The vast majority of them either dead on perfect for how we would want them, or reasonable live action real world interpretations of same. )

Edited by Faefrost

Lego needs a wheelchair accessory. It'd be useful for Superhero characters like Professor Xavier, Oracle, and if there is a God, Niles Caulder. But it would also add diversity to City sets.

Lego needs a wheelchair accessory. It'd be useful for Superhero characters like Professor Xavier, Oracle, and if there is a God, Niles Caulder. But it would also add diversity to City sets.

True Dat.

Well they have Arrow, which would open up possibilities for green Arrow, arsenal, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Black Canary, Shado, Flash, Suicide Squad, Huntress, Birds of Prey, Amanda Waller, Ras Al Ghul, Nyissa Al Ghul, League of Assassins, Dr. Ivo, Merlyn, China White, Clock King, Shrapnel, Bronze Tiger, Royal Flush Gang, possibly Hive Queen, Brother Blood, Blackhawk, Firefly, Count Vertigo, Constantine Drakon, Dollmaker, KGBeast, Jean Loring (which opens the door both for Atom, and for Eclipso), Cyrus Gold (aka Solomon Grundy), with Harley Quinn looming in the next few episodes.

did I miss any? Just think how many of those you would love in Lego form? Add to that rumors that next season we will probably see Jericho and Ravager, plus we have seen some teasing of Ted Kord. If nothing else the show is slowly building up a Live Action Teen Titans. Sadly it is mostly ignored by Lego. Probably too dark and adult for the kiddies. (Plus it's like the top rated show on a channel that nobody even realizes they have.)

Plus they are spinning off a Flash show next year. Not to mention two of the last batch of season 2 episodes are literally titled "Suicide Squad" and "Birds of Prey". So figure somebody is exploring new show ideas.

But anyway, my point is DC does have a stronger media presence with a deeper pool of characters out there than most realize. If only TLG and WB would dip into it. (No really go back and look at that list of comic characters that have appeared in the show. The vast majority of them either dead on perfect for how we would want them, or reasonable live action real world interpretations of same. )

Good point. But do kids watch arrow? It's an older demographic so I'm not too sure if many 7-14 year olds or whatever the age range on these sets are, watch it. I mean kids aren't the only ones who buy the sets but they are Lego's main concern. It'd be great if we got some green arrow sets but would they sell?