recently the bluetooth compatibility on my mindstorms NXT 2.0 has stopped working, the mindstorms porgram now does not recognise it as a bluetooth device, it says "unavailable". I run mindstorms v2.0f5 on a 2009 macbook (wich I recieved in 2011) the computer runs on 10.8.3 mountain lion and the NXT runs on firmware 1.31. I have established that the bluetooth connection on both machines (laptop and NXT) as I can in fact pair the two devices. the problem is the NXT Retail program itself, it just does not connect making it useless, so there must be some patch to the program. I have attached a picture of the window in question, when I hit "scan" essentially nothing happens, it appears to be searching but within a millisecond the screen returns to its previous state (the state the picture shows). I watched it in activity monitor when I hit scan and the program did nothing, nothing new came up. Please respond with any ideas, questions or even possible fixes, I really need help here!

none of them worked for me, those seem to be the basic patches, lego reffered me to one I'd never heard of that fixed loop block issues, thanks for your help though!

I'm sort of confused now, are you trying to connect nxt-g to the brick using bluetooth? If that is the case it will not work (stupid mindstorms), as you will require a connector cable.

It is wired how you can send a program from nxt to nxt, but not from computer to nxt...

Edited by Someonenamedjon

Oh... Nw i understand, i'm really not sure why, i never did send programs from a computor to a brick.

Off topic: you should check out the vex iq stuff. I have been looking at it, as they have 12 ports!!!! The wires are all the same, and you should be able to connect the sensors, motors, and nxt to vex brain too, as they are all the "10101010" stuff.

I want to send programs wirelessly from my laptop to my nxt, it worked before, why not now? that's what i'm asking

Hi,

I have the same issue on an iMac, running Windows 7. I have found a workaround. When I start working I make sure I reset everything (sometimes I also need to clear my BT devices). Then I can make a connection once. When I have a connection, I make sure the connection is never disconnected. Not really sure, but this is a setting on the brick or on the computer.

It's really annoying, but I am glad this works for me. Not sure if this will help you however. Hope, this will work better on the EV3.

I have had the same issue with a few different brisk on different firmware and different PCs with various bluethooth dongles. what Gekke Ted says always seems to work but from there it is very hit and miss.

I have had the same issue with a few different brisk on different firmware and different PCs with various bluethooth dongles. what Gekke Ted says always seems to work but from there it is very hit and miss.

True that! Very frustrating.

I am happy with my workaround, since it is better than not working at all. It keeps me going for a night or day, but let's be honest.....it sucks!

I might have found the solution (the solution that is not too satisfying but the solution) anyway here it is, mac runs on a broadcom bluetooth connection, welp the 1.31 firmware update creates a massive incompatibility issue with the nxt and the programing system, the macbook itself might pick up the mindstorms but the program just doesnt recognise it, so it turns out I may have to buy the bluetooth dongle lego sells unless they come out for a new firmware update (those guys at labview I mean) but the most likley thing is that ill wait for ev3 and use one of those confounded cords. Here's the message I got from lego:

"http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/bluetooth/default.aspx

Mac Users

In most cases, your built in Bluetooth radio or Bluetooth dongle will work without any issues with the NXT 1.1 and above software. Newer Macbooks use a Broadcom® Bluetooth chip, this combination is known to cause issues between the NXT and the Mac. For instructions on how to see what Bluetooth hardware you have, click here. Our developers are working on a solution; in the meantime we suggest you use a dongle, preferably the supported Bluetooth dongle sold via our distributors on our website."

I know the link doesnt work so to fill in what they would have said go to the mac symbol in the top left of the toolbar and click on "about this mac" then in this window that comes up click "more info..." then in the bottom right of that screen click "system report" in the toolbar in the left of this new window click on "bluetooth" then the second down on the list under "manufacturer" it will tell you what device you have in my case sadly it says broadcom. I put a picture of this sad news below, if this helps anyone please let me know (so I dont have to drop 40 bucks) thanks for everyone's help

From my own experience, BT's performance is 'flaky/temperamental' at best. I'm using a PC with Windows 8, NXT 2.0. Had to buy 3 BT dongles before I found one that worked. Initially, I was able to download programs directly from the computer to the NXT brick. Lately however, that can't be done. There are many sites out there that list BT dongles that would (or not) work with NXT. IMHO, this BT technology is still very immature, and TLG should look into alternates. Wonder if one can download via wi-fi on EV3 ...

You mean download programs? This works with the right WiFi dongle :thumbup:

I have the same experience with BT. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.