Echo

Review: 70403 Dragon Mountain

This is undoubtedly one of the better sets from the new Castle line, yet despite this I'm very lukewarm and unsure whether I will buy it. The major positives are the return of the fantasy era dragon and one of the better Lego catapults I've seen (siege engines were an obvious omission from the Kingdoms line, with the small Dragon Knights catapult in Outpost Raid the main exception).

Unfortunately the main part of the set, the Dragon Mountain, is woefully unsubstantial to be the largest fortress of the main adversaries. There are some nice touches, such as the staircase and the interior but overall it's just to small and the comparison with the Kingdoms Prison Tower really shows it up in this regard. I'd like to have seen Lego use the catapult in another set and maybe use the pieces from that to work the tower into something more substantial. A slightly higher price point would have allowed for a bigger and better set.

Excellent review, great pictures & comments! The set is nice, but I'm not quite sure what to call it. It's certainly not a mountain. A wall, Dragon Wall would've been better. It's like one part of a greater castle. I do like the looks of itamd the figs are all nice, nice new princess print.

Is it just me or dose the box show the lion knight having a silver visor?

No, it's not just you, Captain. If memory serves, BrickQueen said the same thing in her YouTube review.

I agree this is one of the weakest sets of the new Castle line, but conceptually it's brilliant (I love the ruins it's built on) and the furnished interior is a nice surprise. I wish it, like the Gatehouse Raid, it had a modular expansion system so it could be connected to a future bad guy castle, though admittedly it has a lot more character as a lonely tower atop a precipitous mountain. It's just a little disappointing that it's the closest thing to a castle that the villains get this wave.

The new wizard is lovely, as is the princess. Really this theme has had some stellar minifigure designs in general, and I hope this iteration of Castle continues that trend in future waves.

The dragon looks very nice. I can't say for sure whether I prefer Ninjago's brick-built dragons to this sort. Really I feel they're both very strong in that their angular, beveled corners and printed eyes make them feel like proper LEGO animals. Admittedly dragons like this avoid the bony-looking Technic joints that plague the Ninjago dragons, and the overall look is more unified at first glance than if they were brick-built, but I have a soft spot for the Ninjago dragons' impressive articulation and the clever part use that is used to give them that sleek, beveled-corner look. So I'd rate them as pretty much equal.

This review has changed my opinion of Dragon Mountain from Pass to a Buy. The dragon was always exciting but not worth the $50 US. However, once you add the portcullis piece and the printed padlock piece, I find it doable. The rest of the brick will get filed away into my collection too.

I am already plotting how to make a function portcullis move up and down for a real gate house.

You know, based on your pictures if you combine this with 7947 you actually end up with one nicely ruined evil tower complex. You would just have to swap out the heraldry.

So do we know retail price for this set in Germny/EU ?

Just built this last night-- the dragon is BIG, and has quite a bit of articulation for a molded "Lego animal." The wizard is also fantastic-- I think I've actually decided NOT to put the black Sensei Wu beard on him because his torso print is just too lovely to keep concealed. The expression of the black bearded head also works fairly well without it.

As for the tower, the scale is bad, laughably incorrect. This thing looks like it's designed to be played with the micro figs from the Games line, and even then it might still be too small.

What also really bothered me from the pics was the left turret, and specifically its open 'window' face and the fact that the treasure is left wide open right out in plain view. Well, upon building it, you find a fairly interesting facade with the spider and its web on the BACK of that same structure.... So, with a few small and easy modifications, I chose to have the spider web face the front of the mountain, and have the treasure chest safely tucked away in the rear. A much stronger display, if I do say so.

This set might actually finally make me buy Attack on Weathertop, as I think the two of them could be combined to form quite a nice and substantial build.

I'm still interested in the head of this dragon, I want to know if the head is the same size as the 2007 dragons. They appear to have the same body mold, but the head on the 2013 dragon seems larger. I have a small flight of dragons from 2007 and I would love to have a few more flying in formation.

Edited by Gatekeeper