Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I am new to the lego world at least since I was much younger. The last set I built was the Arkham Asylum. With the new DC Superheroes I have found my way back to lego's. I honestly blame a friend who bought the Catwoman chase then had me put it together for him (he has big hands and little patients with tiny objects.) So since building that innocent little set I have found the collectable minifigure series, the city sets and of course more DC sets. The modular sets have interested me now. I love the intricate details. I do not plan to get the more expensive sets Green Grocer, City Cafe. But I do want the new Town Hall, Grand Emporium, Pet shop, and I am starting to want the Fire Brigade. I have give it lots of thought and weighed options to find the best prices.

With Lego S@H free shipping over lapping double vip I plan to buy all 4 modular buildings. I realize that's 649.96 but I have ran the numbers and figure I can get it for 594.96...55.00 off. I currently have 149 vip points. If I make 2 purchases first Town Hall, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium that will net me 997 vip points combined with my 149 is 1146 which is 55.00s to put on Fire Brigade since its out of stock currently. I realize this is not more a which should I buy its more of a can anyone see a better way of getting them for less?

I realize a a TRU BOGO would be cheaper however last TRU BOGO they only had the Grand Emporium in stock for most of it and I missed out on that. TRU is also more of an anomaly with how it will be shipped. UPS cause me problems with delivery, but postal would be fine. They do not indicate either. TRU will also charge me tax.

So without buying more to get more vip points can anyone see a combination to get the sets cheaper?

Sorry for the length of the post.

First off, welcome back!

Your plan for buying the Modulars sounds like a good game plan. You worn regret buying them, they're awesome.

I am new to the lego world at least since I was much younger. The last set I built was the Arkham Asylum. With the new DC Superheroes I have found my way back to lego's. I honestly blame a friend who bought the Catwoman chase then had me put it together for him (he has big hands and little patients with tiny objects.) So since building that innocent little set I have found the collectable minifigure series, the city sets and of course more DC sets. The modular sets have interested me now. I love the intricate details. I do not plan to get the more expensive sets Green Grocer, City Cafe. But I do want the new Town Hall, Grand Emporium, Pet shop, and I am starting to want the Fire Brigade. I have give it lots of thought and weighed options to find the best prices.

With Lego S@H free shipping over lapping double vip I plan to buy all 4 modular buildings. I realize that's 649.96 but I have ran the numbers and figure I can get it for 594.96...55.00 off. I currently have 149 vip points. If I make 2 purchases first Town Hall, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium that will net me 997 vip points combined with my 149 is 1146 which is 55.00s to put on Fire Brigade since its out of stock currently. I realize this is not more a which should I buy its more of a can anyone see a better way of getting them for less?

I realize a a TRU BOGO would be cheaper however last TRU BOGO they only had the Grand Emporium in stock for most of it and I missed out on that. TRU is also more of an anomaly with how it will be shipped. UPS cause me problems with delivery, but postal would be fine. They do not indicate either. TRU will also charge me tax.

So without buying more to get more vip points can anyone see a combination to get the sets cheaper?

Sorry for the length of the post.

I don't think the VIP points are added immediately. I think there is a delay and you wouldn't immediately be able to use them on your second purchase. Anybody out there who knows for sure want to chime in on this?

I don't think the VIP points are added immediately. I think there is a delay and you wouldn't immediately be able to use them on your second purchase. Anybody out there who knows for sure want to chime in on this?

You are correct. My experience has been that if I have 100 points, I can use them to get $5 off for the current purchase. If not, and say the purchase is for $100, my NEXT purchase gives me the option to use 200 points worth of credit. So you could buy all but one modular and use the points accumulated to purchase the last (and still get some points for the next purchase).

Your right in the vip faq it suggest up to a 24 hour delay. But the vip overlaps from the 12th to the 15th so I actually have a small room for delay.

I thought points could not be used on the purchase they are earned on...

So if I had 0 points I bought 100.00 worth of stuff the next purchase I would have a 5.00 discount available. Thats how it worked with my purchases to earn the 149 I currently have.

I initially thought about making 4 purchases and using vip points on each provided I receive the points quickly. But that way only seems to net 50.00 worth of discount including the 5.00 I am starting with. By purchasing 3 sets at once combined with my 149 vip I currently have nets 55.00 worth in discount. Plus points for later.

Which set out of these would be the most logical to get first?

10230 Mini Modulars (£60)

7633 Construction Site (£50-£80?)

10184 Town Plan (£140?)

Obviously this!!!

Without a doubt. The Mini Modulars just came out last month, so you should have plenty of time there. The Town plan is much better than the construction site as well.

I need help choosing between the Harry Potter Dragon Ally, UCS Imperial Shuttle, Shuttle Expedition, The new Joust set, The Bat cave, Death Star, or the Tower Bridge.

Any Suggestions? Im looking for either a really fun build, rare pieces a plus, or a good collectors set that you think will go up in value in the close or near future.

I need help choosing between the Harry Potter Dragon Ally, UCS Imperial Shuttle, Shuttle Expedition, The new Joust set, The Bat cave, Death Star, or the Tower Bridge.

Any Suggestions? Im looking for either a really fun build, rare pieces a plus, or a good collectors set that you think will go up in value in the close or near future.

Wow, a mixed bag there.....I would suggest either the Death Star or Diagon Ally first, the Batcave and joust should be around awhile. :wink:

Without a doubt. The Mini Modulars just came out last month, so you should have plenty of time there. The Town plan is much better than the construction site as well.

The Town Plan may have some cheap prices at times on eBay but they're all auctions.

Funny thing, what might be the main reason of getting this was the Cinema, and on Bricklink, they had just the cinema, full parts, no auction for £60 which I may of been able to get. Except it only shipped to the US!!! :hmpf_bad:

Now the cheapest set there is $360...

Edited by TomRoid

The Tower Bridge is my favorite set to date. I missed out on Taj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, etc...And I swore to NOT miss out on the Tower Bridge. :) Incredible set.

If you're a Star Wars fan, the Imperial Shuttle and Death Star are apparently great models (but I have heard SSD > Death Star from a few friends who have both). Diagon Alley is great simply because of how intricate the buildings are - a lot of amazing MOC pieces there!

Tough decision though...Your funds will be the master control here, haha.

A year ago, I would have said the Death Star if you're looking for a good collectors set that will go up in value. I still believe that the Death Star will go up in value but not to the same extent as the UCS Falcon. Also, plenty of Collectors have been investing in the Death Star and I'm not sure how that'll affect the aftermarket.

Today, I would say Tower Bridge since due to its price, it seems that only hard-core collectors are purchasing it. I would love to purchase it but it really doesn't fit into my LEGO collection and if I did, it would be strictly as an investment.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

The Death Star costs twice the price of Diagon Alley, so I would recommend getting Diagon Alley and one of the other sets on your list.

Superman! Waaay better if you ask me.

Thanks. I think that's what I'll go with. All the characters in the Superheroes set are important, main characters, VS most of the characters in the SW set being fairly generic and uninteresting characters. Maybe I'll get on Bricklink someday if I feel the need for a Commander Gree.

I'm still having a hard time getting past seeing Lex Luther riding inside of somekind of giant robot-armour thingy. I couldn't buy it for that reason alone.

I'm still having a hard time getting past seeing Lex Luther riding inside of somekind of giant robot-armour thingy. I couldn't buy it for that reason alone.

The main selling point for ME was the minifigs.

Thanks for the replys! I think Im gonna narrow it down to the Batcave and Dragon Alley, 2 VW Camper Vans(for collecting, I have one built already), The Death Star, or the Tower bridge. Which do you think would be the best choice. I would prob only build the 1st choice....

Hey guys,

I'm another noob getting into Lego again. I love small, complex pieces and sets, so the Mini Modulars are next for me. I'm just wondering if there were any other sets like that, or if there was a good resource for LDD/LDR creations for builds with small bits and 1x1s.

Also wanted to know what you guys think the timeframe is to buy a Death Star, Super Star Destroyer or Tower Bridge before they become prohibitively expensive.

Hey guys,

I'm another noob getting into Lego again. I love small, complex pieces and sets, so the Mini Modulars are next for me. I'm just wondering if there were any other sets like that, or if there was a good resource for LDD/LDR creations for builds with small bits and 1x1s.

Also wanted to know what you guys think the timeframe is to buy a Death Star, Super Star Destroyer or Tower Bridge before they become prohibitively expensive.

As far as small and complex, I was and am very impressed with the robie house, I have two, the falling water is pretty good too.

Hey guys,

The Architecture series is a good place to look. The SSD came our recently, so you have awhile there. The other two, I'm guessing, aren't going to be around much longer. I'm surprised the Death Star is still available, to be honest. The Tower Bridge should be around a bit longer.

I've got a "15% Off" coupon for Toys R Us, and I'm not sure which set to use it on. The high prices at TRU drive me crazy, but I want to get one of the larger Star Wars sets, in order to maximize the saving.

Which set should I get?

7962 Podracers set

7964 Republic Frigate

7965 Millenium Falcon

I already have the 4504 MF from 2004. I already have 7665 Republic Cruiser. And I'm pretty "meh" about the podracers, but want the minifigs. Or should I just forget all of those and get the 7961 Sith Infiltrator, even though it's already overpriced before I even have to pay the TRU mark-up?

Edited by bamaker

I've got a "15% Off" coupon for Toys R Us, and I'm not sure which set to use it on. The high prices at TRU drive me crazy, but I want to get one of the larger Star Wars sets, in order to maximize the saving.

Which set should I get?

7962 Podracers set

7964 Republic Frigate

7965 Millenium Falcon

I already have the 4504 MF from 2004. I already have 7665 Republic Cruiser. And I'm pretty "meh" about the podracers, but want the minifigs. Or should I just forget all of those and get the 7961 Sith Infiltrator, even though it's already overpriced before I even have to pay the TRU mark-up?

millenium falcon all the way! Great set, fun build, good figs, solid swooshing, and great features. Tough I dont have any of the other ones yous mention

Which set should I get?

7962 Podracers set

7964 Republic Frigate

7965 Millenium Falcon

You don't have too many options. With TRU's markup, 15% off a set isn't that great. I wouldn't even bother trying to pick a set up. But if I had to absolutely choose, I would get the Millenium Falcon. It's just too awesome to pass up. I have 4504 also but I have 7965 also.