Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

Thestral

I say go for it. I would love to have all 4 of the SDCC exclusives, but I'm not dying to have them necessarily. Not for those prices. But you have a lot of back story and a connection to that specific character. I just want them for a collection. So I would say you "deserve" the figure more than I would. If you can spend that money without any repercussions elsewhere in your daily life, then I say go for it. If it is going to make a bill late or you want other things too that cost the same amount, you might want to rethink it a little. I can all but guarantee they will release Jean Grey in the future, but more than likely not the green phoenix variant. She may be one of the other phoenix versions though. Or they could just change the printing color a little and it will still not be like the exclusive. There are ways around it for TLG to still release these figures in the future. It all depends on if you want to part with that much money on one figure. I'm hesitant to do that even though I could technically afford it.

SpiralSJ

That was the only Avengers set I passed on because you get so many repeat figures it didn't justify the cost for me. I've heard the build/end product is really nice, so I guess it depends on if you want figures more or a swooshable vehicle. Thor is coming in a polybag so you will be able to get him really cheap. Iron Man is in a really cheap set (just a slightly different armor variant) if you wanted Iron man and didn't care about which armor it was. The only real exclusive figure is Black Widow which isn't anyone's favorite as far as I can tell. If you can afford it and don't mind these other things, then go for it.

ryanoliono

Well, that depends on what themes you like the most. I really like Shelob Attacks from Lord of the Rings. It looks like it is around 20. Otherwise, I would recommend Wolverine's Chopper Showdown because of the nice characters there. Plus the motorcycle is really neat compared to the classic Lego version and the chopper is pretty decent in a beautiful dark red.

I am split between getting the Sith Interceptor or another set from the Star Wars line, but I only have $75. Can someone help me?

Edited by THENOOB

Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

purpleparadox- I really appreciate your comparison to your own Samwise. It's great to know that there are other people as attached to literary heroes as I am.

Spider-Man- Thanks, you're right; I just needed a little push.

sologuy369- I like that plan. I intentionally left out Black Widow. I didn't know anything about her, and I had thought she was just a SHIELD Agent (I never really ventured from X Men). From looking her up on Wikipedia, I now know that she is indeed "super". Though if I was going to spend $70, I'd do it on Jean instead of the Quinjet set.

Hive & The Lego Dr.- You are definitely correct in saying that I would be regretful of my purchase if Jean was later released. I do think though that we will not see her again, however. There was no X Men related reveals for 2013 at SDCC among the numerous unveiled. There isn't anything really going on for the X Men right now that I think could bring Jean in. She's dead for one thing. I do know that a new Wolverine is coming out soon, but Jean isn't slated to appear. I think it would take a full X Men line to bring Jean out, and I don't foresee that happening.

------

Unfortunately, LEGO has taken on a new theme in which they only produce one female character per line (see DINO, Alien Conquest, Marvel Superheroes, NINJAGO first and second wave, Kingdoms second wave, Atlantis second wave) whom is only released in the largest set. That doesn't include any of the themes with currently no female characters or themes with a single female character that is reused or sold in a lower to mid range set. I don't want to rant about gender equality, but Jean probably won't happen unless a BIG X Men set (think the Mansion) is released in a full-fledged line the way things are currently. Unfortunately, LEGO sees Superheroes as a theme for boys. Thankfully, the X Team has always been gender and racially diverse, so there is hope for a more friendly line. I would love to see that happen. I'm fairly certain the Chopper set did well, so X Men sets will surely sell.

If Jean is released, I don't see the Phoenix happening but instead a more modern all black or black and yellow suit. The Phoenix is MY Jean Grey. Hell, I wear a silver necklace everyday of the Phoenix Force insignia.

I have decided I need this in my life. I'm a student, but I actually got a part time job two weeks ago that works around my Summer classes. I think this extra cash will help cover this. I have hardly spent on Lego this year, so I'll buy this and quit while I'm ahead. I may have to wait for the hype to die down a little on Ebay, but I will have my Child Of Light And Darkness. I might dip my toe a little into customization and make her a Dark Phoenix or White Phoenix of the Crown costume as well.

TL;DR: I'm going to make this fig mine. I'll make a post here when I have my hands on her.

Good for you! I think you absolutely made the right decision.

I'm looking forward to your post when you do get her. Hopefully we'll see her featured in lots of amazing MOCs. (Hint, hint. :tongue:) And custom costumes sound interesting, too. I love a good custom minifig.

anyone want to suggest a nice cheapo set to last me till payday? as im getting itchy fingers! a nice £10-£20 one would be best

Maybe a Creator set or the new Skiff if the Summer Star Wars sets are out where you're at.

Thestral

I say go for it. I would love to have all 4 of the SDCC exclusives, but I'm not dying to have them necessarily. Not for those prices. But you have a lot of back story and a connection to that specific character. I just want them for a collection. So I would say you "deserve" the figure more than I would. If you can spend that money without any repercussions elsewhere in your daily life, then I say go for it. If it is going to make a bill late or you want other things too that cost the same amount, you might want to rethink it a little. I can all but guarantee they will release Jean Grey in the future, but more than likely not the green phoenix variant. She may be one of the other phoenix versions though. Or they could just change the printing color a little and it will still not be like the exclusive. There are ways around it for TLG to still release these figures in the future. It all depends on if you want to part with that much money on one figure. I'm hesitant to do that even though I could technically afford it.

SpiralSJ

That was the only Avengers set I passed on because you get so many repeat figures it didn't justify the cost for me. I've heard the build/end product is really nice, so I guess it depends on if you want figures more or a swooshable vehicle. Thor is coming in a polybag so you will be able to get him really cheap. Iron Man is in a really cheap set (just a slightly different armor variant) if you wanted Iron man and didn't care about which armor it was. The only real exclusive figure is Black Widow which isn't anyone's favorite as far as I can tell. If you can afford it and don't mind these other things, then go for it.

ryanoliono

Well, that depends on what themes you like the most. I really like Shelob Attacks from Lord of the Rings. It looks like it is around 20. Otherwise, I would recommend Wolverine's Chopper Showdown because of the nice characters there. Plus the motorcycle is really neat compared to the classic Lego version and the chopper is pretty decent in a beautiful dark red.

hey. thanks! actually i've skipped every set except for wolverine's chopper showdown because I adore the X-men. Haha. This also means that I don't have any Avengers minifigures. I was actually thinking of buying a larger set which contains more minifigs so i won't get repeats, and i was tied between the helicarrier and quinjet. but i guess i'll go for the quinjet because i don't really like the hulk and i think the quinjet is built cooler. haha. and also because i'm in singapore, the polybags that are shipped from the US really cost a bomb here. Yep, that's why :)

Hive & The Lego Dr.- You are definitely correct in saying that I would be regretful of my purchase if Jean was later released. I do think though that we will not see her again, however. There was no X Men related reveals for 2013 at SDCC among the numerous unveiled. There isn't anything really going on for the X Men right now that I think could bring Jean in. She's dead for one thing. I do know that a new Wolverine is coming out soon, but Jean isn't slated to appear. I think it would take a full X Men line to bring Jean out, and I don't foresee that happening.

You've made up your mind and I'm sure it's the right decision for you, so that's cool. :classic:

I do however think that they'll do more X-Men sets to coincide with X-Men: First Class 2, which I believe they're filming right now. Also, aren't they bringing back Jean Grey in the comics now...? I saw a pic of her last week in some newly released teaser material...

But anyway, like you say, it could be unlikely that they'll release her in the green 80's costume of hers - which is certainly the most iconic and aesthetically pleasing Phoenix outfit of them all. :classic:

After seeing the awesome review on 6399, I have decided that I want a monorail for my city. Should I splurge on the Airport Shuttle, or go for one of the cheaper Space ones and use it as a parts pack?

I am split between getting the Sith Interceptor or another set from the Star Wars line, but I only have $75. Can someone help me?

I say yes. I hope to get this myself. But, I have so much I want to buy first that I might miss it. The ship design is pretty cool and the figs are excellent! It's a bit pricey, but that's LSW for ya.

:laugh: at Wonder Woman being set up as a damsel in distress for Superman to save, is that really true?

It should be the opposite, seeing as how the Robot's primary weapon uses Kryptonite.

Hopefully we'll see her featured in lots of amazing MOCs. (Hint, hint. :tongue:) And custom costumes sound interesting, too. I love a good custom minifig.

I think her Dark Phoenix suit is right up my alley! I'm also looking at maybe making a purist Shadowcat using Black Widow's dark blue and black leather catsuit. I'm thinking of maybe making a Phoenix display, like a stand with a big, fiery Phoenix Force made out of the old flame pieces that link together.

I do however think that they'll do more X-Men sets to coincide with X-Men: First Class 2, which I believe they're filming right now. Also, aren't they bringing back Jean Grey in the comics now...? I saw a pic of her last week in some newly released teaser material...

I sure hope they do! Maybe Lego will release classic X Men sets around that time to feed into the hype (like they did with Spiderman :tongue:). XM:FC2 starts filming early 2013 and will be released 2014. I'm excited. I hope Jean is in this one.

I hadn't seen that teaser, but now I have. I think that is for the Avengers vs. X-Men universe and the Jean Grey part is for a flashforward into the future

I know I said that Jean Grey isn't in Lego's future, but who knows? Maybe I'll be eating my words once 2013 rolls out. Actually, I'd probably prefer to be wrong.

:laugh: at Wonder Woman being set up as a damsel in distress for Superman to save, is that really true?

Yep, Diana is being help captive in the robot's metal claw and is unable to free herself despite her super strength. Superman comes to fight the kryptonite-powered mech. So in an animal analogy: a cat captures a dog and mouse goes to save it. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Thestral

i ended up getting jokers helicopter/batwing set, its pretty good, just wish the batwing was bigger!

okay i want a modular, question is pet shop,grand emporium,fire station or town hall, which is the best build/most interesting to put together?

okay i want a modular, question is pet shop,grand emporium,fire station or town hall, which is the best build/most interesting to put together?

According to your profile, you're from the UK, and in that case I'd definitely pick the Fire Brigade - it's only £100 from S@H at the moment, compared to the Pet Shop at £120, and the other two, I believe, at £150. On top of all that, it's the next modular to be taken off the shelves.

i ended up getting jokers helicopter/batwing set, its pretty good, just wish the batwing was bigger!

I'd definitely get 10197. As mentioned, it will be the first to go. If you plan on getting the others, then stick with 10197. If not, any of them will do the trick.

I say yes. I hope to get this myself. But, I have so much I want to buy first that I might miss it. The ship design is pretty cool and the figs are excellent! It's a bit pricey, but that's LSW for ya.

Thank you for your opinion. :sweet:

well if the consensus is the fire station, and its the cheapest thats they way i'll go! thanks a lot guys,hopefully it will be there on payday next week!

So, Helm's Deep or Mines of Moria? I've been saving for Helm's Deep for over a month now, but I also really want Legolas. I'll get both eventually. And should I try to get them on sale?

So, Helm's Deep or Mines of Moria? I've been saving for Helm's Deep for over a month now, but I also really want Legolas. I'll get both eventually. And should I try to get them on sale?

Wait for a sale, but definately Helm's Deep. Best set of 2012.

The higher priced sets don't usually run out too quickly (I say this as my local Lego store is out of both), so I would pace myself. I already have Moria (amazing set) and plan on getting Helm's Deep next month, hopefully when another good promo might be running (I don't need another Sopwith Camel).

I recently got both myself. I haven't built 9474 yet, but I'd go with that one first. It's just so impressive looking. 9473 Mines...is a neat build, but there's A LOT of stickers, the most I've seen in a set in years. I don't mind stickers, but they are a pain.

Helm's Deep first, without question. Wait for a sale if you can, at least for Moria.

Hey guys, when I paid on Friday, I have decided to invest to £50 on a new LEGO set ever since 2008.

I'm getting back into it and I want a set with a lot of pieces and a fun build. It can be from any theme at all.

I'll be ordering from Amazon or LEGO. Any ideas guys?