Banjo

Death Star - is it worth it?

If you are not in hurry, everything will be re-release in the future.

Maybe in 10years? Ha.

If you are not in hurry, everything will be re-release in the future.

Maybe in 10years? Ha.

I won't wait 10 years.

The Death Star is a set of unique but costs a lot .

I know.

Well, quite honestly, people have been talking about the "discontinuation" of this set for almost 4 years now... I don't believe they'll retire it before they have the newer version of the same or something similarly iconic... It's just an incredibly incredibly well-executed set and TLG is veeeery much aware of the hook it presents for the future AFOLs (heck they pulled me out of the dark ages with this thing, and who knows how many others...).

I'd say forget about ISD, AT-AT (they both look rubish, small and out of scale and are executed for the mass-market, not enthusiasts). Call it or not so, DS is an UCS, a beautiful display piece (although not as beautiful as the Executor) and an UNBELIEVABLY fun build. True AFOL delight.

I think im the only one who dont like the DS. As a playset, It just look like a toy, imo, i cant display something like that.

I primarily collect UCS models and replicate display mocs, but even I bought the DS. It's just too much fun to build.

On a separate note, I wonder if they'll be substituting the newest version of the stormtrooper into it? That would up its value further.

Edited by Schneeds

Well, quite honestly, people have been talking about the "discontinuation" of this set for almost 4 years now... I don't believe they'll retire it before they have the newer version of the same or something similarly iconic... It's just an incredibly incredibly well-executed set and TLG is veeeery much aware of the hook it presents for the future AFOLs (heck they pulled me out of the dark ages with this thing, and who knows how many others...).

I'd say forget about ISD, AT-AT (they both look rubish, small and out of scale and are executed for the mass-market, not enthusiasts). Call it or not so, DS is an UCS, a beautiful display piece (although not as beautiful as the Executor) and an UNBELIEVABLY fun build. True AFOL delight.

Well...I can't forget these 2: they have sentimental value; with these 2 I have almost every SW toy I first got 30 years ago. Back then it was Kenner, now in Lego. (Still missing are the ITT (which I’ll get in a few months) Dagobah (still waiting for a good release), Cloud Car (same as Dagobah), Ewok Village, Shuttle and the mini-rigs and the Rebel Transport (which aren’t officially released by Lego). Besides getting the Lego versions of the

Kenner toys I also want the minifig versions of the Kenner action figures (which is hard since 20-25 don't have a Lego incarnation).

Back to the DS: I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal as I've decided I'm not gonna spend € 400. (and I've also heard FFG's Imperial Assault game is released before the end of the year.....instead of Q1 2015. If there's one thing that has top priority it's that.....along with all the upcoming expensive expansions).

Thanks for the advice tho! :thumbup:

Edited by Jedi-Bendu

As Christmas is approaching with large steps my wife decided to buy 10188 as a gift.

What you have to keep in mind if you decide to build that little set ... this thing is huge. 50 studs in diameter to be exactly. I do not know where to place it when it is ready.

Usually I build all bags which got the same number on one evening. Here all the bags of one number fill a large box.

For those who are interested in the manual: It is 260 pages thick and of A3 size.

Any questions?

@irispen: Nop, it is A3 format.

For all non-european reader: 29,7 cm high and 59,4 cm wide.

And ringbinder

And heavy ...

I will post a picture for all those who do not believe it. :classic:

I dont think so. First place would have to be chosen between UCS falcon, Cloud City,and SDCC exclusives.

I have both Death Star and SSD, but the problem is the same as it was with falcon: where to put it. Its not just the size: problem is also that DS dont have this "sculpture like" quality of some other UCS sets, which would earn it its place in the living room.

@Jedi-Bendu

The Death Star is a great set. Out of all the sets I have (the majority of which are not SW), it is undoubtedly my favourite. It is a proud display piece in my home, and everyone is always very impressed when they see it. It also has great playability, and is a fun (and long) build.

There'll always be more AT-ATs and Star Destroyers. There may not be another Death Star for a long time.

As for Cloud City, it is a bit of a risk, since it seems more likely that a Cloud City remake will be made before a Death Star one. Ideally, get both, but that's obviously not always possible... :grin:

As for the minifigures, yes, most of them are outdated. But since you have the new versions of most of them, that doesn't matter too much, for display purposes. You could always sell the older versions online as well, make some money back.

It's a great set. If it's some solace, a Cloud City set would be out for a couple of years, giving you time in between two large purchases. Death Star is more iconic, and probably more impressive (people hear you have a LEGO Death Star and go "woah!", Cloud City, maybe not so much.)

@Jedi-Bendu

The Death Star is a great set. Out of all the sets I have (the majority of which are not SW), it is undoubtedly my favourite. It is a proud display piece in my home, and everyone is always very impressed when they see it. It also has great playability, and is a fun (and long) build.

There'll always be more AT-ATs and Star Destroyers. There may not be another Death Star for a long time.

As for Cloud City, it is a bit of a risk, since it seems more likely that a Cloud City remake will be made before a Death Star one. Ideally, get both, but that's obviously not always possible... :grin:

As for the minifigures, yes, most of them are outdated. But since you have the new versions of most of them, that doesn't matter too much, for display purposes. You could always sell the older versions online as well, make some money back.

It's a great set. If it's some solace, a Cloud City set would be out for a couple of years, giving you time in between two large purchases. Death Star is more iconic, and probably more impressive (people hear you have a LEGO Death Star and go "woah!", Cloud City, maybe not so much.)

Thanks Albus......now I'm in doubt again :laugh:

Seriously; I'm gonna wait for a good deal on this set. A '20% off' deal (like last september when I got the Rancor Pit, Slave I, Sail Barge and Cantina) might do the trick.

I have a limit regarding the max price of a Lego set. I did the same regarding loose minifigs on Bricklink (€ 15 is the max). When the DS is +- € 300.......who knows!

PS: for me Cloud City is more iconic......still dreaming about a day where Lego announces a CC set......there wasn't a proper Kenner playset in the 80s (yeah, there was a cardboard 'set' but that wasn't CC to me) which always bugged me as a kid....and it still does :laugh:

The Death Star is truly unique. There is just nothing like it. I have it on display in my room next to the tower of orthanc and i play with it often. The design is incredibly intense and have spent many hours just admiring it. The real state in this thing is amazing, big enough for minifigs to actually live there, i modded mine and added bunks, also a bar in the lowest floor! I dont mind tha it does not have an outer shell, so its like a xray vision of the death star. I have quite a few of the star wars ships, but the death star trumps everything in my mind...then again Moff Tarking is my favorite star wars character, so to have him and HIS masive set is like a dream come true...

The Death Star was actually one of the sets I got first when I got back into Lego 5 years ago. So far no regrets at all. It's a nice impressive set with lots of minifigs and details. It's not a model like the UCS DS (which I also ended up getting from bricklink) but it has it's own charm. I like to pretend it's a exterior and interior display by having them sitting side by side.

Also it's easily recognizable by non SW fans. The only things that draw as much attention in my collection are the M.Falcon and the Star Destroyers. Anyone who has watched the movies will pretty much know what it is at sight, and they are always surprised that Lego makes such big and detailed sets. Overall, couldn't recommend it more.

Im in the middle of building the DS right now (finished the first of four boxes inside the huge package!) Everything about this set is spectacular - and its a family task! My Wife helps with sorting parts and our son (5) keeps playing with the figs in the already build rooms... He especially likes the trash compactor!

Got the set at 20% off from Toys'r'us... At 335€ still a lot of money, but overall a good deal and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

The DS is the set that i lusted after for ages and definitely was the lure out of my dark ages.

Its a very well designed set, placing those key scenes all in the one build while not appearing cluttered or overworked is great design. Its a fantastic build which uses loads of techniques.

I agree with the folk talking about it resembling a play set and yes my wife says the same. Although you can play with it the scenes it depicts are so iconic for the OT and pop culture that my friends are impressed with the thing itself before they even investigate the moving parts

I've built the DS twice. It was thrilling to build both times, but in between I cleaned the pieces because it had been out on display for so long the first time. It was worth it though.

Once it is built, yes it is a big honking toy. BUT - when viewed at certain angles, the swooping spherical shape made by the pieces really does work and makes it look like more of a sculpture. You will appreciate it even more as you use ~200 pieces just to builld the radar dish - one of the most impressive Lego flowers you will ever build.

And sure, space is a consideration, but you can set it on a table with a small top surface and still display it successfully.

As for Cloud City, I think in '03 or '04 the Could City set was released. It was long and kind of bulky, and the architecture in that set doesn't even compare to anything available today.

Just finished it yesterday... Great build with lots of fun. In fact extremely much fun as there is almost no repetitive building and the different levels and techniques are always keeping you on edge, what comes next. The building instructions are most impressive either!

Get it now! I mean right now! Order it, you know you want it...;-)

I love my Death Star, and when I got it, I had just started using LDD (and stumbled upon EB). The challenge was put to me to put the Death Star playset inside Death Star II, in digital before attempting the reality. Being that I am fairly new to EB, was not sure were to post this, I thought to start here. I have done a fairly good job I think and would like to share this with lego builders. Because I know this is one of the best sets. Its totally worth it. I just don't know how yet, I have thought to set it up on bricksafe, but what I really would like is to see it on the EB MOC custom set page. So for any one wondering if its a worth it set, yes it is.

I've just ordered this :tongue:

Been lusting after it for ages and holding off but given the stock shortages and rumours of it being discontinued, I've taken the plunge.

I've just ordered this :tongue:

Been lusting after it for ages and holding

off but given the stock shortages and rumours of it being discontinued, I've taken the plunge.

You will not regret it, I loved all the little details. Great long build. It costs a lot of money. But in my view worth every penny.