Bonaparte

Press Release 10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Will the Wizard Battle set fit into the top of the Orthanc set? The top here seems a bit bland?

I doubt it, the top rooms of the tower are all too small to fit the 79005: The Wizard Battle.

I'm very excited to start building this set :wink:

Will the Wizard Battle set fit into the top of the Orthanc set? The top here seems a bit bland?

No, it won't fit on the top, it's too big. The top of Orthanc is meant to be bland (just the roof for minifigs to stand on and for Saruman to curse the weather :grin: ).

One of the rooms features almost a direct copy of the Wizard Battle set, minus the Eye of Sauron in the Palantir.

You know, I just came up with a horrible pun: I'm sure the people who get this set will be very "Orthanc-ful" to LEGO!

This set is so awesome, I am definitely going to buy at least one.

The Ent is not that good, but the exclusive figs are a must have !

I actually don't care that much about the minifigures. Gríma is okay, and Saruman with robe is excellent, but, again, the minifigures aren't driving me toward buying Orthanc. The Ent and the tower, and maybe robed Saruman are why I will buy it.

EDIT: Every time I go to look at this magnificent beauty (and what will be my "precious") the duplicate photos of the Ent, and Gríma/Saruman inside the tower bug me. There should only be one of each photo. Could that be fixed?

Edited by 8BrickMario

The Ent is not that good

I actually love the Ent. His face is amazing adorable, and he incorporates a cool play function while looking great. He's much better than most of the Ent MOCs I've seen. I'm sure he's much more stable too. Just my personal opinion. :wink:

I think that when I get the Ent I will change the building procedure slightly to make his eyes even, i.e., taking out or adding a 1x1 brown plate. I think I'd like a serious Ent, not a stupid/drunk/both one!

I hope he comes with more ratchet joints than ball joints, because ball joints are as annoying as #%@& to pose so that the figure has both feet firmly on the ground. I do bemoan the gray parts on the Ent, though. Why couldn't it be brown, at that price? I do have high hopes for the throwing arm, as it looks like it could chuck an orc over its shoulder OR hurl an Uruk-Hai to the ground. It's gotta be better than the Power Miners throwing monsters!

Edited by 8BrickMario

I think the Ent looks fine. Sure he looks a little dopey, but considering all the Lego minifigures are ridiculously cute (even the ones who have grotesque film counter parts), I'm fine with that. Plus not all the Ents exactly looks serious. Case in point:

Screen_shot_2010-12-10_at_8.02.11_PM.png

The set really shines the msot from this angle in my opinion, shame they didnt put out any images of it like that.

54sjft.png

In for at least one. Maybe two. Grima is alittle weak, but the build makes up for that easily.

After seeing some of the blurry pre-release pics, I was anticipating being let down, but this blows away my expectations.

I love how it has a solid enough build that viewed from the right angle, it looks like a complete building, but at the same time has a full interior in the back. I wasn't expecting there to be such more detail in the interior, such as the inclusion of the alchemy room and study. The relics in the attic aren't accurate to the films or books (I'm fairly sure Saruman was being sarcastic when he mentioned the keys to the Two Towers and the rods of five wizards) but they're still a very cool detail.

This is the kind of big set I hoped TLC would release when I heard they had the LOTR license. Hopefully there will be more like it.

My girlfriend, who's not into Lego, just said, that she can't wait to build this with me, because it looks so amazing. Lego truly did a great job here :D

After seeing some of the blurry pre-release pics, I was anticipating being let down, but this blows away my expectations.

I love how it has a solid enough build that viewed from the right angle, it looks like a complete building, but at the same time has a full interior in the back. I wasn't expecting there to be such more detail in the interior, such as the inclusion of the alchemy room and study. The relics in the attic aren't accurate to the films or books (I'm fairly sure Saruman was being sarcastic when he mentioned the keys to the Two Towers and the rods of five wizards) but they're still a very cool detail.

This is the kind of big set I hoped TLC would release when I heard they had the LOTR license. Hopefully there will be more like it.

Yes you are correct... Saruman does not hold keys of the TWO towers nor does he keep possession of the Rods of the 5 Wizards (because 1 rod is from Gandalf afterall) he reffers to both towers of Bara-Dur and Orthanc and 5 rods of all wizards(Istari) that came (2 are unnamed in the tales went far to the east)

Yes you are correct... Saruman does not hold keys of the TWO towers nor does he keep possession of the Rods of the 5 Wizards (because 1 rod is from Gandalf afterall) he reffers to both towers of Bara-Dur and Orthanc and 5 rods of all wizards(Istari) that came (2 are unnamed in the tales went far to the east)

From what I remember blue wizards names were Alatar and Pallando. So they aren't unnamed. :wink:

From what I remember blue wizards names were Alatar and Pallando. So they aren't unnamed. :wink:

They are in Hobbit/Silmarillion and LOTR

I dont read other stuff especially those tales and so on...

in books they are unnamed and i read books multiple times.

Do you remember what chapter in what book that section was in? Seeing the images of Orthanc makes me want to re-read the sections of the books that featured it.

Do you remember what chapter in what book that section was in? Seeing the images of Orthanc makes me want to re-read the sections of the books that featured it.

That should be in Book 2 The Two Towers ''third book'' and should be Sarumans voice (Chapter 10 i guess)

Edited by Alcarin

Regarding the wizard's names, he had given them names at one point in his notes but eventually decided not to use them in his books. I forget what book their names are published in but Alcarin is right in saying it's not the Silmarillion, the Trilogy, or the Hobbit. Gandalf makes a poke at this in last year's Hobbit movie when he says that he has quite forgotten their names.

When the release video got to the tapestries of the five wizards in the tower, I got all kinds of giddy. I'm still all kinds of giddy. And 26 of the new arch piece. 26!

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Pallando

This site names "Unfinished Tales: The Istari pgs. 394-95" as reference for Pallando and

(Source: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Alatar)

for Alatar.

The names are in the Unfinished Tales, but they are not in the Hobbit, LotR, or Silmarillion. As far as I know, the Unfinished Tales are considered non-canon, as they are mostly cobbled together from Tolkien's notes. It is for this reason, and licensing, that in the Hobbit movie Gandalf claims not to remember the names of the Blue Wizards.