Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#66: WANTED! Steerpike the Poisoner

"I haven't ever actually quested alongside Thothwick," Boomingham says to Nyx, who, as always, is within earshot. "He has always treated me with great kindness and respect, but I don't know how he holds up on the battle field. What do you think of the chap? You don't look too keen on the young mage chap either."

"Thothy? Oh he's a sweetie; the strong, sensitive type and his fur is so soft I swear he goes to the same bath house as me." Nyx's face darkens slightly "I've fought side by side with him through some of the toughest battles, and he is valiant; willing to step forward and protect others. He does have a mildly annoying habit of disappearing sometimes during a battle, but he's dependable and honourable, and... he's kind, and that matters. A lot."

Nyx's gaze shifts to Arthur.

"As for him, I find it difficult to talk about him. I'll just get angry all over again. He's selfish." Nyx purses her lips, containing her emotions "He completely ignored all the torment most of us went through on our last quest, and Larry it really was unbelievably tough," the deep wounds are reflected in Nyx's eyes "for all of us, and instead he ranted and raved about himself, and his beliefs, and how he was the victim and... all sorts." she shakes her head "He cannot see past himself, and yet he still wishes to call himself a hero. It seems he's trying, now, but I'm still not convinced." she sighs "Nobody needs a martyr, we just need people we can depend upon in our hour of need."

Nyx smiles wistfully at Boomingham. "It's good to be spending some time with you again Larry. I've missed you."

I pass my Helmet to Grimwald. "You may as well use this, I can't."

I turn to Patricia and ask, "I'm guessing the leaders of the houses are going to be here?"

Grimwald accepts the helmet.

"Thank ye, Mr. Yeti. I'd shake yer hand, but I'd be afraid of mine coming off! Hahaha, only joking."

Grimmy then equips the helmet loaned to him.

Kiray listens intensely to the other conversations, trying to make sense. She wants to converse and help this man, but she is not sure if it is her place.

QM Note: Zepher, I copied your statistics from the respective topic. How can you have a wrong level listed there? Anyway, I hope I got all the item swaps written down correctly. Some of you also had miscalculations in your stats, so I corrected them.

Patricia raises her hands as the bombardment of questions begins.

heroicanpc-patriciacousland.jpg

"One at a time, please! First of all, here is a poster of Nikolaus Steerpike. He was originally a member of the Guild of Alchemists until his attraction to poisons led to the death of a fellow alchemist. He escaped before he was caught, and sought refuge among the Wolfgang. He was behind the poisoning of Mercutio's High Priest Ulander, among others. My theory is that the banker-priest got himself involved with Wolfgang's shady deals and paid a heavy price for it. Poison is one of the least gentle ways to depart from this world, after all. We are dealing with a cruel man devoid of emotions here. I have always said that poison is the weapon of sadists and cowards."

The captain gives a meaningful leer at the rogues in the party as she passes on the poster.

heroicaquest66-steerpikeposter.jpg

"The list of guests invited to this event is extensive. Mr. Wigglepike, would you care to inform these people about the guests."

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"Uh, certainly! All the major houses have been invited, naturally, and they have all answered to the invitation. Admiral Bonaparte and his wife are coming, as is Grand Wizardine Ziegfried with select members of her clan. The Guild of Invision has sent their most prominent alchemists, and Ambassador Shanxian Ji Pei will be attending. The Hinckwells and the Shadeaux will be here as well, and I hope their guards won't cause any trouble - gods know we have enough as it is! As usual, wherever there is a social gathering, Master Guffington is there. The Academy of Enlightenment has sent their representatives, as have the nearby cities. And of course there's the main performer of the night, the lovely Barbariccia Dellamore who will no doubt enthrall everyone with her singing voice. How lucky we are that such an amazing talent was discovered only weeks ago! Adding the lesser nobility and high-ranking merchants, we are expecting up to 150 guests. You can probably understand why I am so fidgety now."

As Bilbert Wigglepike speaks, the captain turns to Boomingham.

"We do not discuss Strivvi here or now."

As Thothwick addresses her, Captain Patricia raises an eyebrow.

"Your assurance mean little to me until this night is over and done with, Black Knight. But I would not have asked your help if I did not need it desperately."

Patricia nods to Arthur.

"Private Regulus, I believe Lieutenant Serevan over there is expecting you to report in. You better explain him your peculiar situation."

As Arthur approaches the elven officer, he gets poked by a fleuret. Lieutenant Serevan starts screaming at Arthur, with his face turning as red as his hair.

heroicanpc-serevan.jpg

"Private Regulus! What is the meaning of this? Every single watchman was summoned here, yet you neglected your duty to get in the line, and appeared here with your drinking buddies instead! I don't want your excuses, I know that Heroica Hall is nothing but a glorified pub! If you think I tolerate this kind of disobedience, you are sorely mistaken!!!"

Captain Patricia has no choice but to intervene.

"Serevan, Private Regulus is here on special duty. He stays with his companions from Heroica. You can take your men to check the nearby alleyways now."

The officer opens his mouth to object, but the captain's icy stare shuts him up. He turns to the watchmen standing in a haphazard row, and starts barking orders at them to let out his fumes. The captain walks back to the waiting champions.

"Everyone, listen up! I have enlisted every single man and woman under my force to keep watch of this theater. The main houses in power will surely bring their own guards, but due to political reasons we cannot permit them to enter inside the building. As for you nine, I need your special expertise in three critical locations. First of all, the kitchen is naturally under a threat because we are dealing with a poisoner here. The three least experienced of you will stay there for the entire night. That is Miss Nastayo, Mr. Grimwald and Mr. Bishop, who will be in charge."

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"But pay in mind that Master Chef Yasmar is a very sensitive case. He does not tolerate any kind of tomfoolery in his kitchen. And I can only imagine his reaction if his world-famous gourmet dishes are accused to be poisoned... The worst case scenario is that Yasmar marches right out of the kitchen, so you three must prevent that from happening at any cost!"

"Great, one more thing to worry about then... The back door is the second location I need help with. I will guard the main entrance with the best of my men. I want you, Private Regulus, to take the yeti and whatever the hell that ghostly person is to the rear entrance and secure it. You must not let a single person in or out through that way. And the most critical place tonight is of course the ballroom where the guests will be dining and watching the performances. Lord Boomingham, I am putting you in charge of the order in there, along with Miss Nyx and Sir Thothwick. You must prevent all disturbance caused to the guests, and keep a watch over the servants. We have done our best to ensure that none of the hired help has any connections to the Wolfgang, but of course some spy might have slipped our radar."

The heroes split up to their given groups.

heroicaquest66-entrance3.jpg

"For the last time, have I made myself absolutely clear? Does any of you have any doubts about your mission tonight? Speak up now."

Kitchen Party:

ava-arnulf.jpg

Arnulf Bishop
(Shoker86) ***Party Leader***

30 yrs old male human Rogue

Level 6

Power:
(6+8)

Defense:

Health:
12/12
(7+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Cheesy Dagger (WP:8, Double damage to vermin),
Tricorn(SP:3)

Inventory:
Leather Armor(SP:1),
4 Potions, 3 Venoms,
Remedy,
Bedroll

kiray_cu.jpg

Kiray Nastay
(KingoftheZempk)

24 year old female human Knight

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Defense:

Health:
10/10
(10+0)

Gold:

Equipment:
Sword of the Kin (WP: 3), Scutum (SP: 2),
Ancient Crown (
Headwear, First successful strike of battle deals
Cursed
-effect
)

Inventory:
Potion, Bedroll

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

Grimwald Gjinko
(LordoftheNoobs)

69 year old male gnome Cleric

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Defense:

Health:
9/9
(9+0)

Ether:
5/5
(5+0)

Gold:
0 (Owes Arthur 50 gold)

Equipment:
Broomstick (WP: 3),
Helmet
(SP:1)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5;
heals instead of damaging
),
Scroll of Weakening,
Scroll of Frailty,
Remedy, 2 Potion, Bedroll

Backdoor Party:

Arthur_TownGuard_Salute_ava_border.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII
(Flipz) ***Party Leader***

21-year-old male human Sorcerer

Level 21 1/3
*Immune to
Sealed

Power:
(21+12)

Health:
33/33
(5+20+4+4)

Ether:
31/31
(5+20+1+5)

Defense:

Gold:
(Owed 128 gold by Boomingham; owed 50 gold by Grimwald Gjinko; owed 70 gold by En Sabah Nur, oved 200 gold by Nagure)

Equipment:
Hollow Blade Dagger (WP:6, dagger, hollow-blade [Elixir]), Robe of the Archmagi (Bodywear, SP:3, Max Ether +5, Immune to
Sealed
), Jester's Hat (
Headwear, Wearer may choose to gain one immunity from targeted enemy
), Lens of Speed Reading (Accessory, Allows a scroll to be read in addition to a normal action. Suitable for scroll users.)

Inventory:

Weapons:
Sir Roderick's Sword (WP:12, Longsword), Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7,
50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics
), Staff of Ennon - (WP: 5,
Light
-Elemental, Restores 2 ether on a roll of 2, 3, or 4), Healing Staff (WP:5;
)

Artifacts:
Scarf of Misfortune (
Accessory, Wearer deals the
Jinxed
effect on every third round
), Cloak of Deception (
Backwear, Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent
),
Shackles of War (Accessory, Prevents anyone from fleeing battles), Sterile Gloves (handwear, immunity to
Poisoned
and
Badly Poisoned
)

Gems:
Opal (
Ice
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Diamond (
Light
), Garnet (
Earth
),

Tools:
Bedroll, Telescope, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Pickaxe, Magic Compass

Scrolls:
Scroll of
Blindness
Scroll of
Sealing
(
Lent to De'kra
), Scroll of
Confusion
, Scroll of
Sleep
, Scroll of
Frailty
, Scroll of Armor Sundering (
Reduces target’s SP by 5 and has a 50/50 chance of success
), Scroll of
Poisoning
(
Grants target’s weapon the
Badly Poisoned
effect for one battle at the cost of 5 ether
), Scroll of
Luck
(
Grants target the
Lucky
-effect for one battle. Costs 10 ether.
), Scroll of
Weakening

Consumables:
2x Potion, Grand Potion x10, Remedy, Smelling Salts x5, Nostrum x5, Mulled Wine, Jinxy Juice x4, Ether Core x2, Noxious Venom (
When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the
Badly Poisoned
effect for the duration of the battle and the
Confused
effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.
), Zoot's Plaything

nagure_berserker.jpg

Nagure
(Costy)

34 year old Male Yeti Berserker.

Level 15 1/2
*Immune to
Fragile, Blindness,
Ice
&
Fire
*Counterstriking*

Power:
(15+
14)

Defense:
(12+9)

Health:
32/32
(8+14+10)

Gold:
(200 owed to Arthur)

Equipment:
Stone Hammer (WP: 14,
Earth
&
Darknes
s-elemental, suitable for barbarians, clerics and alchemists)
Shield
(SP:9),
Yeti Fur Coat
(Artefact,
bodywear,
SP:12, immunity to
Ice,
Fire,
Fragile and Blindness
; suitable for yetis only),
C
ounterstrike Gloves
(Artefact,
handwear;
After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, he counters with strength equal to his Level)

Inventory:
Axe of the Croise (WP: 10,
Light
-elemental),
Spider Leg (WP:8, doubled against flying enemies; spear),
Potion x2,
Grand Potion x3,
Remedy,
Tiger Balm,
Phoenix Essence, Mead x2,
Deadly Venom x2,
Smoke Bomb x2
Pickaxe

V916GDK.jpg

Sorrow
(Endgame)

428 years old undead
Assassin

Level 19 1/2

Power:
(19+22+2)

Defense:

Health:
30/30
(7+18+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 22
Ice
and
Darkness
Elemental), Sticky Gloves (
Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear)
, Armor of the Croise (
SP: 1, +2 power;
bodywear)

Inventory:
Longsword (WP: 5),
Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians),
Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes),
Grand Potion x5,
Health Core,
Tonic,
Ether Core x1,
Remedy x5,
Phoenix Essence x5,
Venom,
Deadly Venom,
Mead x10, Smelling Salts x10, Nostrum x8, Dragon Scales x2,
Bedroll

Ballroom Party:

BoominghamMock2.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
(Zepher) ***Party Leader***

45 Years old male human Paladin

Level 22 1/2
*Immune to
Fragile

Power
: 36
(22+10+4*)

Defense
: 12
(7+5)

Health
: 44/44
(10+21+11+2*)

Ether
: 22/22
(1+21)

Gold
: 63
(Owe 50 to Docken, 79 to Arthur, 110 to Sorrow)

Equipment
:
Scupperer
(Great Sword, WP: 10,
Darkness
Fire
, causes
Bleeding
Effect for 5 Damage until remedied or healed to full health)
Round Metal Shield
(SP: 7),
Counterstrike Gloves
(On Free Hits, Deals damage to enemy equal to Boomingham's level),
Heavy Armor
(SP: 5, Immunity to
Fragile
),
Tome of Affluence
(
Generates 10 Gold if equipped for the entirety of a battle, accessory
)
*Pseudo's Blessing's Blessing (Not an Artifact, +4 Power)

Inventory
: Frozen Saber (Great Sword, WP: 9,
Light
Ice
, stunned effect),
Hood of Belthazar Bluehood (+4 to Power, -6 to Ether), Hamantasch (consumable, lucky + blessed effects upon consumption for the length of one battle),
Marksman's Monocle (
rolls of 4 are rerolled, headwear)
, Scroll of Recklessness (
Encouraged and Fragile for rest of battle, 5 ether, 50/50 chance
), Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sealing, Garnet, Sapphire,
5 Meads, Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Fire Brandy (Encouraged, Immunity to Ice),
Military Grade Fire Bomb,
Emerald Lamp of Summoning,
Bedroll,
Adamantite Shard

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx
(Pandora)

19 years old female human Battle Mage

Level 25 2/3
*Natural Respite*
*Immune to Sealing*

Power:
(25+14+1)

Defense:

Health:
36/36
(5+24+5+2)

Ether:
35/35
(5+24+1+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zee Standard (WP:14;
Ice-
and
Darkness
-elemental; Necromancer raise enemies with 2 extra levels; staff)
, Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), High Heels (+1 Power).

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero)
Explosive Staff (WP: 12, does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Healing Staff (WP: 5).
Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects), Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened),
Ruby (
Fire
), Diamond (
Light
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Emerald (
Wood
), Garnet (
Earth
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Opal (
Ice
),
Scroll of Sleep,
Scroll of
Frailty
Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core,
3 Meads,
Fire Bomb, Smoke Bomb, Bomb '
X2' (May be combined with a bomb to get it to ignore SP),
Bedroll, 5 Bones

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick
(Professor Flitwick)

44 year old Metasimian

Level
: 23 Black Knight
*Damage Undead*
*Immune to Stunned*

Power
: 37
(23+12+2)

Defence
: 10
(6+4)

Health
: 38
(7+22+9)

Gold
: 409

Equipment
: Banana Sabre (WP:12, Heals Metasimians when used on them),
Skull Shield (SP:6; immunity to darkness-elemental damage; suitable to Black Knights only)
, Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do Damage to Undead)

Inventory
: Shuriken (WP 8), Sabre (WP 10),
Sapphire (
Wind
),
Potion,
2 Health Cores,
Dragon Scale,
Venom,
Grand Zoot Cookie,
Bedroll, Telescope,
Bone

"Crystal, cpatain."

I turn to the two familiar companions, and give a nod.

"I suppose we have a door to guard, then."

Nyx, slightly affronted at being ignored by Patricia, mutters a little under her breath before addressing Boomingham "Geez, she's only met me like a bazillion times before, stuck up cow. So Larry.." and she curtseys deeply and gracefully ".. it's to the ballroom with us. Will you dance with me? :grin: I reckon we could cut a dash across the floor and make a few monocles pop! :wink:"

"My apologies for not explaining this to you earlier, Lieutenant. I will not be negligent in such regard again." Arthur salutes respectfully, before turning to Captain Patricia.

"Understood, Captain. Sorrow and I have made our preparations, so with your leave we will set off as soon as Nagure is ready."

"Understood, Captain." Kiray glances at Mr. Wigglepike. "Mr. Wigglepike, what exactly do you mean by this chef is sensitive? I understand he does not want anything going wrong in the kitchen, but is he known to give guards leeway? Taste-testing? Rummaging through cabinets?"

"Practically every member of the great and good will be here! Perfect! I can just hear the sound of them etching their names onto the members list!"

"Shall we make haste to the ballroom? I'm sure you're both eager to start dancing!"

"Understood captain, take care of the kitchen, do not anger the chef" Arnulf noded to the captain. "Miss Kiray, mister Grimwald tell me when you are ready to go." Arnulf is ready to go as soon his teammates confirm

Edited by Shoker86

"Understood, Captain." Kiray glances at Mr. Wigglepike. "Mr. Wigglepike, what exactly do you mean by this chef is sensitive? I understand he does not want anything going wrong in the kitchen, but is he known to give guards leeway? Taste-testing? Rummaging through cabinets?"

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"Oh no no no, you must not disturb Master Chef Yasmar! He's a gastronomical genius - one taste of his cuisine will make your taste buds explode! He is very particular about the way his food is prepared and served. If you get in his way, you might upset him and he might storm out of the theater and never grace us with his presence in this city again! So no tomfoolery whatsoever, am I understood?!"

"How many people are circulating through the kitchen Mr. Wigglepike? How many waiters, cooks, beside Master Chef Yasmar?"

"Understood captain, take care of the kitchen, do not anger the chef" Arnulf noded to the captain. "Miss Kiray, mister Grimwald tell me when you are ready to go." Arnulf is ready to go as soon his teammates confirm

Kiray is ready to go as soon as Grimwald is.

"Oh no no no, you must not disturb Master Chef Yasmar! He's a gastronomical genius - one taste of his cuisine will make your taste buds explode! He is very particular about the way his food is prepared and served. If you get in his way, you might upset him and he might storm out of the theater and never grace us with his presence in this city again! So no tomfoolery whatsoever, am I understood?!"

"I wouldn't dare disturb him, sir. And he may never come back? Well, We won't let that happen."

"Actually, I do have one final preparation, now that I think of it. Lord Boomingham, I'd like you to pass these Sterile Gloves to Ambassador Shanxian Ji Pei, with my complements. Just an extra degree of insurance."

EDIT: In case that's not clear, Arthur hands Boomingham his Sterile Gloves.

Edited by Flipz

"Understood, Captain. Sorrow and I have made our preparations, so with your leave we will set off as soon as Nagure is ready."

"There's no point wasting time, I'm ready to go."

Lots of useful explaining.

Bomingham nods at the end of Arthur's tale. He had heard bits and pieces from Hoke, Thothwick, Nyx, Skrall - many heroes before, but he had never actually listened to much of it.

"Thank, boy-o. I'll see you on the other side. Stay safe, don't die."

Boomingham accepts the gloves from Arthur before wandering back over towards Nyx, but stops first to pat both Sorrow and Nagure on the backs.

"Stay safe, chaps. Keep the boy Arthur alive, keep him in your sights too."

Boomingham returns to Nyx's side as Patricia assigns groups.

Nyx smiles wistfully at Boomingham. "It's good to be spending some time with you again Larry. I've missed you."

Boomingham looks long and hard at both Thothwick and Arthur as Nyx speaks of them both.

"I am glad that Thothwick is dependable. He looks able to take care of himself, and, as you said, kindness counts. He has shown me nothing but respect. I trust I will enjoy leading him more than I did leading our dear Atramor." Boomingham chuckles. "As for Arthur, well, we will hope that he lives and protects the guests. Luckily, if anyone makes it past him or the young recruits... they'll have us to deal with."

"Shall we make haste to the ballroom? I'm sure you're both eager to start dancing!"

So Larry.." and she curtseys deeply and gracefully ".. it's to the ballroom with us. Will you dance with me? :grin: I reckon we could cut a dash across the floor and make a few monocles pop! :wink:"

Boomingham offers his arm to Nyx. "Let us go mingle with the best that Eubric has to offer. Thothwick, I'm afraid you'll have to find your own date." Boomingham leans in and whispers in Nyx's ear. "If there is any trouble, I would like you at arms length. You may need to distract any assailants with fire while I draw my sword. And you'll also have to forgive my dancing, I'm out of practice, but quite good if I get into the swing of things."

Boomingham finally turns to Patricia.

"Captain, I will say no more to you until the night is through, but I appreciate your attitude. Our words mean nothing until we bring results, and so I take my silence until results I offer. And I will offer results."

Boomingham leads his party to the ballroom.

"Let us go mingle with the best that Eubric has to offer. Thothwick, I'm afraid you'll have to find your own date."

"Hohoho, best for me not to be dancing, my Lord. My two left feet might injure more guests then we'd save! Hohoho!"

"He's right. Should've brought him. Could've given him a taste of the finer things of home. It's a shame he has to stay at the... No, he's safe there, away from Steerpike."

"There's no point wasting time, I'm ready to go."

"Then off we go."

As Arthur walks, he sees that De'kra has written a response in his Journal. Pleased, he begins to pen a reply as they walk.

OOC: Spoilered so as not to disrupt the flow. :wink:

Greetings, Brother. How fares Dastan? Have Emperor Phil and Vipera returned yet?

...That is an incredibly appropriate allusion, Brother. What are...what are your people's beliefs on reincarnation? I have told few of this, but...I have had visions of the future. I did not get to speak with the Dragon Vipera as much as I would have liked, but I suspect I have a connection to the Spirit Pools. I do not know how--none in my family, or even in my homeland, have ever shown signs of such connection, but my symptoms are clear...

It was my intention to leave, you are right. But through a strange turn of events, I find myself working for the Town Watch instead--and in cooperation with Heroica, no less. It is good, really. I broke my Unity with my fellow Heroes, and so lost my Destiny...in the Watch, I may cling to all that I have left: my Duty. It is enough that I may sacrifice again and again, until at last I can make the ultimate sacrifice. I can never escape the specter of Chaos, and the destruction that it brings. It is part of me, and so all I am good for is destruction. This is my life now: to destroy that which deserves to be utterly annihilated, until I myself am destroyed...

But that is irrelevant to the mission at hand. We are hunting down a dangerous poisoner by the name of Steerpike, a member of the Wolfgang, no less. But with a nigh-impenetrable hulk of a Yeti and an undead Assassin at my side, we will guard the back entrance flawlessly. Nothing will escape our vigilance. That is our duty, and we will do it well.

--Arthur

Edited by Flipz

Boomingham offers his arm to Nyx. "Let us go mingle with the best that Eubric has to offer. Thothwick, I'm afraid you'll have to find your own date." Boomingham leans in and whispers in Nyx's ear. "If there is any trouble, I would like you at arms length. You may need to distract any assailants with fire while I draw my sword. And you'll also have to forgive my dancing, I'm out of practice, but quite good if I get into the swing of things."

"Don't worry, just twirl me away at the first sign of trouble and I'll slink off to conjure some incendiaries. And I'm sure your dancing will be fine Larry dear, apparently it's just like riding a horse, you never truly forget. :wink:"

Nyx turns to Thothwick, seeing his expression.

"Hey, you know Larry will soon find some floozy to catch his eye, and when he does you and I will do some damage to the canapés, eh Thothy?" and she smiles encouragingly at him.

"Hey, you know Larry will soon find some floozy to catch his eye, and when he does you and I will do some damage to the canapés, eh Thothy?" and she smiles encouragingly at him.

Thothwick looks up from his feet, and returns the warm smile, once more bowing slightly.

"I eagerly await your arrival, come the Hors d'oeuvres, Ms. Nyx."

"All right group, let's go then" Arnulf said aproaching his group, "That crown could be usefull milady, if we have to fool the master chef." Then he spoke to other party leaders "Is there any ways of communication during mission, some messenger? We should be in touch during mission"

Edited by Shoker86

Mr. Wigglepike turns to Arnulf.

heroicanpc-bilbert.jpg

"We have three other chefs in the kitchen, as well as a service staff of ten. Keep an eye on all of them, please."

"You seem to be exhausted of all questions, so assume your positions now. I don't want to see your faces until the guests have left alive and happy."

Arnulf nods, and leads the beginning champions into the kitchen. Nothing prepares them for the sight waiting for them...

Kitchen Party:

ava-arnulf.jpg

Arnulf Bishop
(Shoker86) ***Party Leader***

30 yrs old male human Rogue

Level 6

Power:
(6+8)

Defense:

Health:
12/12
(7+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Cheesy Dagger (WP:8, Double damage to vermin),
Tricorn(SP:3)

Inventory:
Leather Armor(SP:1),
4 Potions, 3 Venoms,
Remedy,
Bedroll

kiray_cu.jpg

Kiray Nastay
(KingoftheZempk)

24 year old female human Knight

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Defense:

Health:
10/10
(10+0)

Gold:

Equipment:
Sword of the Kin (WP: 3), Scutum (SP: 2),
Ancient Crown (
Headwear, First successful strike of battle deals
Cursed
-effect
)

Inventory:
Potion, Bedroll

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

Grimwald Gjinko
(LordoftheNoobs)

69 year old male gnome Cleric

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Defense:

Health:
9/9
(9+0)

Ether:
5/5
(5+0)

Gold:
0 (Owes Arthur 50 gold)

Equipment:
Broomstick (WP: 3),
Helmet
(SP:1)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5;
),
Scroll of Weakening,
Scroll of Frailty,
Remedy, 2 Potion, Bedroll

heroicaquest66-kitchen1.jpg

The mountain of flesh can be nobody else but Master Chef Yasmar. The other chefs are moving faster than aepyornises while trying to dodge Yasmar's gigantic ladle. The Master Chef eyes at the heroes suspiciously.

heroicanpc-yasmar.jpg

"Who the megabluck are you and what the megabluck are you doing in my kitchen?"

As the rookie heroes fervently think of a proper way to answer, Arthur with his two companions arrive at the back door...

Backdoor Party:

Arthur_TownGuard_Salute_ava_border.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII
(Flipz) ***Party Leader***

21-year-old male human Sorcerer

Level 21 1/3
*Immune to
Sealed

Power:
(21+12)

Health:
33/33
(5+20+4+4)

Ether:
31/31
(5+20+1+5)

Defense:

Gold:
(Owed 128 gold by Boomingham; owed 50 gold by Grimwald Gjinko; owed 70 gold by En Sabah Nur, oved 200 gold by Nagure)

Equipment:
Hollow Blade Dagger (WP:6, dagger, hollow-blade [Elixir]), Robe of the Archmagi (Bodywear, SP:3, Max Ether +5, Immune to
Sealed
), Jester's Hat (
Headwear, Wearer may choose to gain one immunity from targeted enemy
), Lens of Speed Reading (Accessory, Allows a scroll to be read in addition to a normal action. Suitable for scroll users.)

Inventory:

Weapons:
Sir Roderick's Sword (WP:12, Longsword), Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7,
50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics
), Staff of Ennon - (WP: 5,
Light
-Elemental, Restores 2 ether on a roll of 2, 3, or 4), Healing Staff (WP:5;
)

Artifacts:
Scarf of Misfortune (
Accessory, Wearer deals the
Jinxed
effect on every third round
), Cloak of Deception (
Backwear, Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent
),
Shackles of War (Accessory, Prevents anyone from fleeing battles)

Gems:
Opal (
Ice
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Diamond (
Light
), Garnet (
Earth
),

Tools:
Bedroll, Telescope, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Pickaxe, Magic Compass

Scrolls:
Scroll of
Blindness
Scroll of
Sealing
(
Lent to De'kra
), Scroll of
Confusion
, Scroll of
Sleep
, Scroll of
Frailty
, Scroll of Armor Sundering (
Reduces target’s SP by 5 and has a 50/50 chance of success
), Scroll of
Poisoning
(
Grants target’s weapon the
Badly Poisoned
effect for one battle at the cost of 5 ether
), Scroll of
Luck
(
Grants target the
Lucky
-effect for one battle. Costs 10 ether.
), Scroll of
Weakening

Consumables:
2x Potion, Grand Potion x10, Remedy, Smelling Salts x5, Nostrum x5, Mulled Wine, Jinxy Juice x4, Ether Core x2, Noxious Venom (
When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the
Badly Poisoned
effect for the duration of the battle and the
Confused
effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.
), Zoot's Plaything

nagure_berserker.jpg

Nagure
(Costy)

34 year old Male Yeti Berserker.

Level 15 1/2
*Immune to
Fragile, Blindness,
Ice
&
Fire
*Counterstriking*

Power:
(15+
14)

Defense:
(12+9)

Health:
32/32
(8+14+10)

Gold:
(200 owed to Arthur)

Equipment:
Stone Hammer (WP: 14,
Earth
&
Darknes
s-elemental, suitable for barbarians, clerics and alchemists)
Shield
(SP:9),
Yeti Fur Coat
(Artefact,
bodywear,
SP:12, immunity to
Ice,
Fire,
Fragile and Blindness
; suitable for yetis only),
C
ounterstrike Gloves
(Artefact,
handwear;
After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, he counters with strength equal to his Level)

Inventory:
Axe of the Croise (WP: 10,
Light
-elemental),
Spider Leg (WP:8, doubled against flying enemies; spear),
Potion x2,
Grand Potion x3,
Remedy,
Tiger Balm,
Phoenix Essence, Mead x2,
Deadly Venom x2,
Smoke Bomb x2
Pickaxe

V916GDK.jpg

Sorrow
(Endgame)

428 years old undead
Assassin

Level 19 1/2

Power:
(19+22+2)

Defense:

Health:
30/30
(7+18+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 22
Ice
and
Darkness
Elemental), Sticky Gloves (
Increases the amount of gold stolen by 50% (rounded up), suitable for rogues and beast warriors; handwear)
, Armor of the Croise (
SP: 1, +2 power;
bodywear)

Inventory:
Longsword (WP: 5),
Dark Cloak (Backwear, SP:1, Max Health +1, Power +1, suitable for rogues and barbarians),
Archer's Hat (Artifact, headwear, Power +1, suitable for Rangers and their Advanced Classes),
Grand Potion x5,
Health Core,
Tonic,
Ether Core x1,
Remedy x5,
Phoenix Essence x5,
Venom,
Deadly Venom,
Mead x10, Smelling Salts x10, Nostrum x8, Dragon Scales x2,
Bedroll

heroicaquest66-backdoor1.jpg

Aside from a black cat rustling around in the abandoned boxes, the back alley is devoid of life. The backdoor has a small window on it, through which a corridor can be seen.

The heroes roll their thumbs for a time, before they hear a steady drum of footsteps. But it only turns out to be Lieutenant Serevan with his patrol.

heroicaquest66-backdoor2.jpg

heroicanpc-serevan.jpg

"It figures that you sellswords get to slack off while we are ordered to walk along these streets throughout the night. Just wait for your next rounds, Private Regulus, I'm going to make you sweat!"

Arthur glances at Sorrow and Nagure, feeling uncomfortable being stuck in the middle of his two duties. Meanwhile, three black-caped figures stand in the middle of the ballroom, where most of the action would take place that night.

Ballroom Party:

BoominghamMock2.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham
(Zepher) ***Party Leader***

45 Years old male human Paladin

Level 22 1/2
*Immune to
Fragile

Power
: 36
(22+10+4*)

Defense
: 12
(7+5)

Health
: 44/44
(10+21+11+2*)

Ether
: 22/22
(1+21)

Gold
: 63
(Owe 50 to Docken, 79 to Arthur, 110 to Sorrow)

Equipment
:
Scupperer
(Great Sword, WP: 10,
Darkness
Fire
, causes
Bleeding
Effect for 5 Damage until remedied or healed to full health)
Round Metal Shield
(SP: 7),
Counterstrike Gloves
(On Free Hits, Deals damage to enemy equal to Boomingham's level),
Heavy Armor
(SP: 5, Immunity to
Fragile
),
Tome of Affluence
(
Generates 10 Gold if equipped for the entirety of a battle, accessory
)
*Pseudo's Blessing's Blessing (Not an Artifact, +4 Power)

Inventory
: Frozen Saber (Great Sword, WP: 9,
Light
Ice
, stunned effect),
Hood of Belthazar Bluehood (+4 to Power, -6 to Ether), Hamantasch (consumable, lucky + blessed effects upon consumption for the length of one battle),
Marksman's Monocle (
rolls of 4 are rerolled, headwear)
Sterile Gloves (handwear, immunity to
Poisoned
and
Badly Poisoned
),
Scroll of Recklessness (
Encouraged and Fragile for rest of battle, 5 ether, 50/50 chance
), Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sealing, Garnet, Sapphire,
5 Meads, Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Fire Brandy (Encouraged, Immunity to Ice),
Military Grade Fire Bomb,
Emerald Lamp of Summoning,
Bedroll,
Adamantite Shard

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg

Nyx
(Pandora)

19 years old female human Battle Mage

Level 25 2/3
*Natural Respite*
*Immune to Sealing*

Power:
(25+14+1)

Defense:

Health:
36/36
(5+24+5+2)

Ether:
35/35
(5+24+1+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zee Standard (WP:14;
Ice-
and
Darkness
-elemental; Necromancer raise enemies with 2 extra levels; staff)
, Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), High Heels (+1 Power).

Inventory:
Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero)
Explosive Staff (WP: 12, does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Healing Staff (WP: 5).
Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects), Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened),
Ruby (
Fire
), Diamond (
Light
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Emerald (
Wood
), Garnet (
Earth
), Aquamarine (
Water
), Opal (
Ice
),
Scroll of Sleep,
Scroll of
Frailty
Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core,
3 Meads,
Fire Bomb, Smoke Bomb, Bomb '
X2' (May be combined with a bomb to get it to ignore SP),
Bedroll, 5 Bones

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick
(Professor Flitwick)

44 year old Metasimian

Level
: 23 Black Knight
*Damage Undead*
*Immune to Stunned*

Power
: 37
(23+12+2)

Defence
: 10
(6+4)

Health
: 38
(7+22+9)

Gold
: 409

Equipment
: Banana Sabre (WP:12, Heals Metasimians when used on them),
Skull Shield (SP:6; immunity to darkness-elemental damage; suitable to Black Knights only)
, Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do Damage to Undead)

Inventory
: Shuriken (WP 8), Sabre (WP 10),
Sapphire (
Wind
),
Potion,
2 Health Cores,
Dragon Scale,
Venom,
Grand Zoot Cookie,
Bedroll, Telescope,
Bone

heroicaquest66-ballroom1.jpg

All around them the servants were busy setting tables and arranging flowers, while a band of four wereturtles were tuning their instruments on the stage. A golem was giving the waitresses monotonous orders, apparently being the maitre d' of the staff.

heroicaquest66-maitred.jpg

"Wipe that goblet once more, it has stains in it. Move that fork an inch to the left. Careful with those vases. Can I help you?"

The maitre d' had said this in such a one-note voice that it took the heroes a while to realize they had been addressed. They walked up to the golem.

heroicaquest66-ballroom2.jpg

heroicaquest66-maitred.jpg

"I assume you are here to keep guard of the ball? How considerate of you."

At that moment, something crashed and one of the waitresses let out a scream.

heroicaquest66-maid.jpg

"Gosh, I'm so sorry! I'm such a fumblethumb!"

The clumsy maid had just dropped a plate, but it had stopped all action in the whole room. It was obvious that the service staff were on the edge as well. It was imperative that everything went perfectly tonight, or their jobs would be at stake.