Janglais

Reminiscing About 1990s Pirates

Hi All,

Just been going through Brickipedia, reminiscing about what I had as a kid...

6235 - Buried Treasure

6245 - Harbor Sentry

6255 - Pirate Comic

6257 - Castaway's Raft

6265 - Sabre Island

6270 - Forbidden Island

6274 - Caribbean Clipper

6276 - El Dorado Fortress

I'm sure most of it would still exist in boxes back home. I'll have to try and root it all out next time I'm back. I guess 'missing' pieces could be found on Bricklink or some other website.

Oh, the memories...

Daniel

Good luck getting it back! :classic:

It can be quite a good feeling coming back together with things from your childhood.

Good luck getting it back! :classic:

Cheers for that. I've already made a few calls, and things are looking good ;) Will probably be back there over the Easter weekend, so will keep you all posted.

It can be quite a good feeling coming back together with things from your childhood.

Agreed. Yesterday while going through some of the photos, I remembered shooting an uncle in the eye with one of the cannons while we were on holiday - lucky he was wearing his glasses.

I'm in the process of parting back together my childhood sets. I even plan on doing reviews of them at some point. One of them apparently doesn't have a review here yet, so that should be fun. :classic: So you should be in for some fun times ahead. My advice to you is to make sure to wash all the pieces (pick out cloth/string, printed, and lacquered bricks first) and then sorting and Bricklink inventories will be your friend.

Bricklink inventories will be your friend.

I just signed up - a great little way to show what's in each set. Cheers for putting me on to that.

I just signed up - a great little way to show what's in each set. Cheers for putting me on to that.

Peeron is another great site for instructions and inventory as well.

Edited by Grimmbeard

Glad to hear that you got reacquainted with your old sets. I'm currently in the process of rescuing mine from my parent's basement. The pirate sets were among my favorites as a kid, so I rescued them first. I have:

6235 - Buried Treasure

6245 - Harbor Sentry

6270 - Forbidden Island

6274 - Caribbean Clipper (technically my bro's, so it's "on loan")

6285 - Black Seas Barracuda

I always wanted 6276 - El Dorado Fortress, it is such a cool fortress. I managed to find a very "well loved" but complete set on ebay for a pretty reasonable price. After much cleaning and a retr0bright session (works like a charm, no more yellowed pieces!) it looks as pretty close to new for such an old set. It looks awesome next to my other sets.

I had basically every Pirates and Castle (and most of Space/City, etc) when I was a kid in the early 90s. My parents had them in a tote (still put together) after I quit doing stuff with them. That was mid-90s. I got them back summer of 2011 and pieced together a few sets. But mostly I haven't done anything with them. All of the pieces are still in the totes sorted when I put them in there 20 years ago..

I only use new pieces for everything I've done since then. But it was nice seeing the instruction manuals. It does bring back a flood of memories. As great as the new sets are, I always have that nostalgic feeling for early 90s/late 80s LEGO. Nothing will top that because that was my "golden age" of LEGO.

I didn't have very many sets when I was a kid (just small ones), but it was still a lot of fun putting them back together. Good luck!

Glad to hear that you got reacquainted with your old sets. I'm currently in the process of rescuing mine from my parent's basement. The pirate sets were among my favorites as a kid, so I rescued them first. I have:

6235 - Buried Treasure

6245 - Harbor Sentry

6270 - Forbidden Island

6274 - Caribbean Clipper (technically my bro's, so it's "on loan")

6285 - Black Seas Barracuda

I always wanted 6276 - El Dorado Fortress, it is such a cool fortress. I managed to find a very "well loved" but complete set on ebay for a pretty reasonable price. After much cleaning and a retr0bright session (works like a charm, no more yellowed pieces!) it looks as pretty close to new for such an old set. It looks awesome next to my other sets.

Retrobright what is that exactly ?

Retrobright what is that exactly ?

Older Lego has a tendency to turn a yellowish color due to a chemical reaction with oxygen and certain chemicals in the plastic, mostly noticeable in white, gray, and blue bricks. Retr0bright is a solution of hydrogen peroxide and oxyclean. Put your bricks in the solution, expose it to UV light, leave for 24 hours, and the yellow disappears leaving you with bricks looking like new.

I bought Eldorado very cheap because the white bricks were yellowed, and I figured I would try this trick in order to restore it. Worked great!

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

I'm in the process of parting back together my childhood sets. I even plan on doing reviews of them at some point. One of them apparently doesn't have a review here yet, so that should be fun. :classic: So you should be in for some fun times ahead. My advice to you is to make sure to wash all the pieces (pick out cloth/string, printed, and lacquered bricks first) and then sorting and Bricklink inventories will be your friend.

Great advice. When I reclaimed my childhood LEGO I had a few sets still built and on display at my parents house, including a BSB.

Washing them each individually with soap is a tedious task but you only need to do it once and it's totally worth it.

Big fan of Classic Pirates here. I remember seeing the BSB on the cover of the 1989 product booklet and asking myself if that was really LEGO! It looked so advanced- almost like a real model ship. Absolutely amazing. And this was a time when new themes didn't pop up every six months. The last new theme before Pirates was the Castle relaunch in 1984, so seeing those images was kind of shocking to me. I picked up all four original sets at once, something I had never done before. What an amazing array of new parts and SHARKS- I couldn't have been more pleased. And the new minifigs were revolutionary, IMO.

I collected almost everything from 1989 to 1997, missing just a few small sets and minifig packs, and regrettably the 1788 Treasure Chest. I might be able to pull a copy out of my spare parts- that will make a nice little project for later. My absolute favorites from that time were the Skull's Eye Schooner and Imperial Trading Post. El Dorado Fortress and Rock Island Refuge were awesome as well. I guess my least favorites would be the stuff from '96-'97, although I have them, so they're not bad by any means.

I was sad to see the theme end, but very happy with what had been produced. Since then, I really haven't collected any pirate themes. For some reason I just couldn't get into the 2009 theme or POTC. Maybe because neither of them lasted long, or something- I really don't know. But I'm glad I got to experience Classic Pirates first hand- it's LEGO history!

I used to make the pirates fight the Ninjas....differences were never resolved.

Any chance we might see that in a stop-motion? :grin:

Older Lego has a tendency to turn a yellowish color due to a chemical reaction with oxygen and certain chemicals in the plastic, mostly noticeable in white, gray, and blue bricks. Retr0bright is a solution of hydrogen peroxide and oxyclean. Put your bricks in the solution, expose it to UV light, leave for 24 hours, and the yellow disappears leaving you with bricks looking like new.

I bought Eldorado very cheap because the white bricks were yellowed, and I figured I would try this trick in order to restore it. Worked great!

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

This seems totally interesting. Does this need specific knowledge? Or is this possible to anyone?

This seems totally interesting. Does this need specific knowledge? Or is this possible to anyone?

All you need is the recipe from the website I linked to, and also be sure to read the pitfalls. Don't use this technique on any parts that contain metal, as the oxyclean will rust them. I've also read that the solution will eat away at the gold portions of the classic space logo, so I left those alone. However, I've retr0brighted other printed parts (like the walls of Eldorado Fortress) and it hasn't taken any of the printing off.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6277_Imperial_Trading_Post

Now there's a set. Never had it, mind you, but I do believe it represents a paragon of design, theme, and play value. And look at that exclusive merchant ship - a new civilian faction for the line, never seen before or heard from since!

And our very own funkybrick wrote a beautiful review of that set which you can find here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37588

Some of the image alias' go to different images now that it's so old, but that only makes it funnier if you ask me.

http://lego.wikia.co...al_Trading_Post

Now there's a set. Never had it, mind you, but I do believe it represents a paragon of design, theme, and play value. And look at that exclusive merchant ship - a new civilian faction for the line, never seen before or heard from since!

That is a great set on it's own. Lot's of great features, and the merchant ship is nice. However, IMO, it doesn't work very well when you add in other ships like the Black Seas Barracuda, or even the (original) Imperial Flagship. The ships dwarf the port and make it seem very tiny. Also, the merchant ship looks very small in comparison. I know it's a cost issue, but I wish they would have made the harbor bigger so these ships could dock. I also wish they would have made the merchant ship out of the regular Lego ship hulls so it isn't so small compared to the rest of the Lego fleet.

If Lego ever decides to bring back Pirates, I hope they do more civilian oriented sets like the trading post. Having a stand alone, large merchantman ship would be awesome.

I feel the same. I only have 2 from pirates that I remember, the Brig and 1 more with the red boat and monkey. Maybe they are two separate and I had 3 sets. I can't remember as I was 3-4 back then. I'll try to find the parts so I can post a thread and get some opinions.

Hi All,

Just been going through Brickipedia, reminiscing about what I had as a kid...

6235 - Buried Treasure

6245 - Harbor Sentry

6255 - Pirate Comic

6257 - Castaway's Raft

6265 - Sabre Island

6270 - Forbidden Island

6274 - Caribbean Clipper

6276 - El Dorado Fortress

I'm sure most of it would still exist in boxes back home. I'll have to try and root it all out next time I'm back. I guess 'missing' pieces could be found on Bricklink or some other website.

Oh, the memories...

Daniel

Couldn't agree more, but this is going back a few years earlier. Black seas barracuda is a classic and favorite set of mine.