GRogall

Winter Village 10235 Winter Village Market

Man, these winter sets are getting expensive. At least last year we had more pieces this year too and a big building to compensate for the higher price. At €99,99, this set is a bit disappointing, really.

I'll probably end up getting it to satisfy my completist needs anyway, but with little room in my current home to display LEGO sets, I might hold off on buying this one until a later point (say, next year). If I do end up getting this one, I'll likely create a scene featuring just this and the Winter Cottage (which is great, btw). I think those two alone would make a nice combination.

Hmm, i seem to have found an issue (or made a mistake) so that i can't fit a piece properly.

In book 2, on page 17 you should place a technic plate over a pin on an axle. This however does not fit on my build:

mgaRyrd.jpg

I removed some of the build to be able to take pictures. On the image below you see that i can't click the plate down (it bends when i do this, and naturally it springs back up).

cWY8pI4.jpg

The cause is that the axle is to long, so that the pin does not have enough room (i lightened up the spot as it was a bit dark).

oFG7kXl.jpg

I removed the coupling bit so you can really see that it's not a problem of pushing the axles far enough into the coupling.

Q7f4gSj.jpg

So the only solution for now, is to remove the pin and replace it with an 2L axle (i just used the pin temporarily).

nkokbYb.jpg

Did i do something wrong, or is this a real issue (or should i force the plate on, bending it)?

Edited by Tentacle1

If the axle is really 5.5 long as Bricklink says, then that will never fit. The height of the build below the roof is 16 plates, which translates into 6.4 bricks wide (16*2/5). The length of the pin, because of the ridge below the Technic plate, is more than 1 wide.. It seems like you have more space available than necessary for the large Technic gear though. Shouldn't a 5 long axle be used in that place instead?

Yeah, there is more than enough space for the large gear, that's fine.. it's just that the plate doesn't fit if you use the pin.

There are no 5L axles in this set and the manual (B2,P10) is quite clear about this:

THpc8po.jpg

Like i said, it was easy to fix using a 2L axle (from my own collection, there are no spare 2L axles in the set itself) in stead of the pin.

CJRTod0.jpg

Edit: Solution image added and I've sent an email to Lego about this. I'm curious what their opinion is :-)

Edited by Tentacle1

Hi, infrequent poster/lurker Spiralpad here!

Just looking at your issue - is the problem that you've put a technic pin underneath the axle? The inset in step 8 shows the cog being threaded onto the axle, then upwards through a technic plate (you can see the little cog peeking out from underneath), with a small bush pushed on afterwards. Your photo shows an additional dark bley technic pin at the bottom which I don't think should be there.

This would allow the axle to sit lower and give you the room you need...

Maybe?

Edited by Spiralpad

Hi Spiralpad (from a lurker as well) :wink: Nope, there are no hidden pins here, the bottom of the 5.5L axle just looks a bit like a pin i quess :classic:.

Rick has done the math on this one and there is simply no room for the ridge on the pin. I'll let you guys know what the response from LEGO will be.

Fair do's! I though it might have been one of those 'I'll use that there to prop it up' type things.

Really curious about this, given the amount of testing and rebuilding that's done to create the instructions. Looking forward to the answer....

I've received a reply from LEGO:

• They have already noticed the mistake and changed the sets and part list.
  • They have used the same solution as i did and therefore could consider myself an LEGO expert :grin:
  • They have sent me the 2L axle replacement.

I'm curious if they will place a notice on the LEGO website for the few people that have already received this 'special edition' :laugh:, but we'll see. You could always contact LEGO to get the 2L axle replacement if you dont have spares :wink:

Good to know it has been fixed. I wonder if they recalled any of the sets to make them correct, or if they will just make them correct from here onward. It's similar to the missing bag in the Fire Brigade set. Although I was missing a lot more than just a bag.

I plan on buying this next month, so I guess I will wait and see if I have a fixed copy or not.

Thanks for sharing.

Got it... Love it! :wub:

I think, as others have already pointed out, that it fits nicely with the ice rink, tree seller and bandstand perfectly. I'm also incorporating the Autumn (Fall) scene and the Hotdog stand polybags into it

I'm already hooking it up to the motor and thinking of modding the central 'spindle' so that I can light it up from inside (not sure how i will do that yet, but looking into it). It'd be nice if the Power Functions had a 'flashing' unit which could be used in this.

I think it was worth every penny. This series brought me out of the Dark Ages and I will continue to buy them each year. In the meantime, I'll be adding some MOC's... The only problem I have is where to display!!!

That is a nice idea using the fall scene and hot dog cart as well. It can be a miniture city fair. I might get two one for the winter village and the other for my zoo. I cant wait to see it hooked up to a motor.

I built my Market during the weekend, and I had no problem with fitting the technic plate over a pin. I was expecting it, but it fitted really smoothly, no pressure needed.

Hmm, i seem to have found an issue (or made a mistake) so that i can't fit a piece properly.

In book 2, on page 17 you should place a technic plate over a pin on an axle. This however does not fit on my build:

I took a picture of the extra parts, but it needs some editing first, so I can post it tonight, if still interested.

Does anyone have a picture of the spare parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

This set has been giving me fits ever since I first saw it-- to buy, or not to buy? I've bought and have been a huge fan of all the previous sets in this series, but I'm struggling with the cost of this set, especially since I don't get any "buildings". I do like the mechanical features, though. Hmm, hmm, hmm. We'll see how good Santa thinks I've been this year! :laugh:

Here's the extra parts from the Market.

Does anyone have a picture of the spare parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

extra.jpg

Man, these winter sets are getting expensive. At least last year we had more pieces this year too and a big building to compensate for the higher price. At €99,99, this set is a bit disappointing, really.

I'll probably end up getting it to satisfy my completist needs anyway, but with little room in my current home to display LEGO sets, I might hold off on buying this one until a later point (say, next year). If I do end up getting this one, I'll likely create a scene featuring just this and the Winter Cottage (which is great, btw). I think those two alone would make a nice combination.

Totally agree with Rapseflaps! I have all the winter village sets except the most recent two, the cottage and the market. I was planning to collect them all but this new market set is really disappointing. I wouldn't pay 100 dollars for a set like this. Anybody else in the same situation with me? I don't know how many more sets there will be of the winter village theme and whether if it is worth collecting them all.

I can understand your point of view, and initially, I was a bit reserved about the Market set. However, with time and specially now that it's built, I enjoy(ed) it very much. Money is an issue, and strictly speaking, is it worth collecting it? I don't know, but it's worth building it, playing with it, and using some parts for MOCing. It's a sweet set, despite not being a specific building. On the other hand, I got another copy of the first three sets on sales just for some extra parts, yet I'm pretty sure the Market set doesn't offer so much as a part out only. I'm not sure this helps, but all in all, if you consider a set just for collecting, what's its value then. If you buy it, build it, display it, and some time later recycle it, it has a better value, and for me, that does the trick.

... I was planning to collect them all but this new market set is really disappointing. I wouldn't pay 100 dollars for a set like this. Anybody else in the same situation with me? I don't know how many more sets there will be of the winter village theme and whether if it is worth collecting them all.

The Winter Village Cottage was definitely worth the €99,99 I spent on it. It's a great big building with wonderful interior and some really nice side buildings. With this one... I'm just not so sure. It seems cobbled together. I would have expected a set like this to be in the Winter Village's old price range (i.e. about €79,99). I'll still likely end up buying this, but it's no longer a no-brainer like the previous sets were.