General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

He made a typo dude, you don't have to be so condescending.

typo 3/3 times?

I dont think so :D

Just as there is zero reason why TLG cannot wait until 2015 to finish up TLoR. I believe TLG has already shown their schedule may be a bit off track due to their lego movie push. Not to mention the hobbit schedule was upended. A winter release would still be helped by the final hobbit movie.

He isn't wrong. TLoR is the series name The Lord of the Rings. LoTR, TLoR, or even TLoTR are all technically correct

I dont understand why the usage TLoR ... its LOTR - Lord of The Rings

As for the rest... its possible but unlikely.

Because its called THE Lord of the Rings. Pretty simple. :laugh:

There is a reason: TLG never released licensed sets without any supporting media in the background, nor they had ever released a licensed wave AFTER a movie came out.

Back To The Future. And Star Wars.

Man, it is so ridiculous how all the armchair experts claim this, that, and the other based on what Lego has or hasn't done in the past. You do realize Lego evolves and adapts as a company, right? Who ever thought we'd get modulars, video games, fleshies, cmfs, cmf based on a licensed property, AFOL aimed sets, a theatrical movie release, or Lego pieces based on non-block shapes??

Unless LEGO themselves say they will never do something, I think everyone here needs to stop saying what Lego will and won't do.

Back to the future was just one single set an based on a cuuso, so not comparable to standard licensed theme. And for star wars: come on, are you serious? We both know that star wars is always a special thing.

We are in a forum here, a forum is there to speculate and for discussion. Nobody who is no lego insider knows something for sure, but then every armchair expert (how you call it) could go back to his armchair and stop talking here, because we don't know aything. And then we could also close this thread.

Because its called THE Lord of the Rings. Pretty simple. :laugh:

Still missing the in the 2nd part... TLotR if anything.

Well, there certainly is some kind of a masterplan buried behind the schedule we have gotten to know of. However this may look like - i for my part won't change preference towards the Hobbit sets. I only got two different of them (Bag End and the Mirkwood Elves) and only because those sets do fit into the LOTR setting. The rest of the Hobbit line doesn't - no reason to buy them for me... Sometimes it is that easy.

I won't leave hope yet but if we don't get any serious news/leaked pics by mid 2014 at the latest - then i would guess that the line has been left ultimately.

Still missing the in the 2nd part... TLotR if anything.

That's the last thing said about the abbreviation of The Lord of the Rings. Now back to discussing future sets! :thumbup:

Look at the picture with the boxes for the next "The Hobbit" sets:

What does it say near the bottom right corner?

"Tie in to the video games and dvds."

In other words, there's still a chance we may see more LOTR with a franchise box set, which is likely to happen.

Not sure how long that may take, though, but there's still hope, even if just a tiny bit.

It also mentions it's an Evergreen IP, but we know that this year will be the last Hobbit film release and nothing else is planned beyond that. It is kind of curious they only mention the video game and DVD though, and not the theatrical release...

Thats just stuff they push to get retailers to buy, doesent relalay mean they live by it themselves.

The tragic line of action figures for the hobbit uses alot of the same things in their retailer marketing.

It is kind of curious they only mention the video game and DVD though, and not the theatrical release...

The first line beneath the "Success Factors" says "Support from Warner Bros new thea..." I guess the rest would be "theatrical release" :sweet:

It also mentions it's an Evergreen IP, but we know that this year will be the last Hobbit film release and nothing else is planned beyond that. It is kind of curious they only mention the video game and DVD though, and not the theatrical release...

The DVD and video game are just additional reminders of additional and continual support for the line. These of course will be the same reasons they will give when selling the third wave of TLoR. Along with specific tie in scenes from TABA to TLoR. I imagine the final hobbit will generate new interest in TLoR especially for those who did not see the trilogy initially.

Oh, I know it's just fluff to help sell sets. I was pointing out that they didn't mention the theatrical release, yet they mentioned the IP being an evergreen product when it is obviously going to be ending soon. Why not mention the theatrical release to help sell more sets too? New movie releases seems to be the big time to get sales and what Lego bases their licenses off primarily (they keep the license until the final movie is out in theaters, not on DVD in many cases). I guess they did the theatrical release in another line as Lego-Freak points out though.

Edited by Deathleech

I think it was off some retail magazine thing. I followed a link off Brick Heroes I think (one of those ones) and it took me to some unintelligible website with blurry pictures of some future sets.

I've just found the link from my history, here it is- http://www.pockyland...hread&tid=59473

EDIT- It doesn't work anymore. It gives me an error message. Sorry!

What did you see in the beloved land :O

but we know that this year will be the last Hobbit film release and nothing else is planned beyond that.

Incorrect. We will have the Blu-ray/DVD release of the theatrical edition. Then, we will have the Blu-ray/DVD release of the Extended Edition and probably an ultimate collection, and lastly, we will have a 2ND game release, as the upcoming Lego Hobbit game only covers the first 2 films.

Unless LEGO themselves say they will never do something, I think everyone here needs to stop saying what Lego will and won't do.

The voice of reason here. Anything ANYONE else says is pure SPECULATION. It blows my mind how sure some of you are about what might or might not happen. Just because in the past there might have been a set formula for releases doesn't mean that formula applies to Lego's Middle Earth theme/license!

I believe we will get another LotR themed wave. I'm just hoping that it will cover all basses and get us all the sets we really want.

Incorrect. We will have the Blu-ray/DVD release of the theatrical edition. Then, we will have the Blu-ray/DVD release of the Extended Edition and probably an ultimate collection, and lastly, we will have a 2ND game release, as the upcoming Lego Hobbit game only covers the first 2 films.

The voice of reason here. Anything ANYONE else says is pure SPECULATION. It blows my mind how sure some of you are about what might or might not happen. Just because in the past there might have been a set formula for releases doesn't mean that formula applies to Lego's Middle Earth theme/license!

I believe we will get another LotR themed wave. I'm just hoping that it will cover all basses and get us all the sets we really want.

It's all fun and games. But I do say if you plan on making a speculation it be backed up some type of logical reason other because you say so. I just cannot wait until TLG puts an end to it all by giving us an answer one way or the other.

I meant there is no new material being released after this year. Sure we will get the DVD releases next year, but there is no Similarion or any other such film being released. To bring up the evergreen IP is just kind of silly when Lego said in the advertisement the Hobbit theme concludes this year and next year we won't get anything new. TABA is the last Middle-Eath/Tolkien inspired film we will probably see for a long while.

Ya sure, Lego MIGHT do something totally different, anything's porrible. But they very well could stick to the formula they know, which seems to be making them tons of money as they are the second largest toy maker in the world and right on Hasbro's heels.

I meant there is no new material being released after this year. Sure we will get the DVD releases next year, but there is no Similarion or any other such film being released. To bring up the evergreen IP is just kind of silly when Lego said in the advertisement the Hobbit theme concludes this year and next year we won't get anything new. TABA is the last Middle-Eath/Tolkien inspired film we will probably see for a long while.

Ya sure, Lego MIGHT do something totally different, anything's porrible. But they very well could stick to the formula they know, which seems to be making them tons of money as they are the second largest toy maker in the world and right on Hasbro's heels.

You do realize that the reason Lego has grown to become the second largest toymaker in the world is specifically because they have grown and adapted, right? You do realize that "sticking to the formula they know" hasn't been done in ages, hence all of the changes we've seen that I've pointed out, right? Yeah, sure, they MIGHT change from their tried and true formula of yellow minifigures and give us fleshies - oh wait, they DID deviate from the formula! That's my entire point - Lego has constantly been evolving and adapting since their near-bankruptcy a few short years ago. They did NOT come out of bankruptcy to become the 2nd largest toy maker by sticking to the formula they knew.

Back to the future was just one single set an based on a cuuso, so not comparable to standard licensed theme. And for star wars: come on, are you serious? We both know that star wars is always a special thing.

We are in a forum here, a forum is there to speculate and for discussion. Nobody who is no lego insider knows something for sure, but then every armchair expert (how you call it) could go back to his armchair and stop talking here, because we don't know aything. And then we could also close this thread.

Hey, Proximo, your EXACT words: "There is a reason: TLG never released licensed sets without any supporting media in the background, nor they had ever released a licensed wave AFTER a movie came out."

Never. I don't think you know what that word means. You can't throw around your opinions and pass them off as facts then make excuses when your claims are shown to be false.

Edited by MonkeyCrumb

Back to the Future was a CUUSOO project. Yes, it counts as a licensed them but CUUSOO projects cannot have any new molds and very unlikely to have any bricks in new colors. This is due to the initial low production run of 10,000 to 30,000 units. From what I see in this forum, most people are wanting new molds for Gondor soldiers, Witch King, fellbeast, and others.

Sure, LEGO could give as Frodo avoids a Ring Wraith using the Weathertop version but I expect everyone would scream about a wasted opportunity.

The Star Wars license saved LEGO but once there was no more movies or shows to generate interest the company was almost killed off again because they had a ton of sets they could not sell. I think the whole Yoda Chronicles was designed to keep Star Wars in the public eye so they could sell sets.

The Hobbit has continued that level of media exposure for the Lord of the Rings. Without it, I doubt will continue this line in 2015 especially as they are concluding The Hobbit line this year. LEGO has established this pattern, one that they did not even break for Pirates of the Carribean which we know exceeded expectations. True they can always do something different.

As a business, LEGO wants to maximize profits. In the end, it does not matter if that comes from Lord of the Rings theme or some new theme. They have the sells data for LotR though. They have a strong idea what the sells would be going forward. Sadly it seems they decided that they would make more money if they switched to another theme.

We really bugs me is that 2014 has a return of the Agents theme (which I totally don't get) but no Lord of the RIngs. I wish we got that shelf space instead.

The key question in all of this is would the big box retailers, TRU, Walmart, Target, etc, want a further LotR line without a clear movie tie in? Star Wars doesn't count for comparison. Star Wars has been selling merchandise stand alone since 1978. They have deep retailer history. The same with Superheroes. Batman and Spider-Man have sold well stand alone for decades. (Also why we get mostly Batman and Spider-man Superhero sets. ) remember Lego does not sell directly to the public for the most part. Their lines are heavily influenced by what the big retailers want.

Don't worry! New link to a different website with them (still there at this point)!!! Follow this- https://imageshack.com/a/srBq/1

Thanks my friend! i can see new Husky and Polar bear molds?

a big Mammoth and Phoenix but that's Chima i guess they look cool

A new Ninjago Temple, X-men and Guardians of the Galaxy

and Mos Esly (Or however you spell that) and a Phoenix Temple

There's something in those sets :P but not a lot on the Hobbit and LOTR

(snip)

Couldn't this be something like a Smaug head?

Edited by ZCerberus
Removed photo