General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

Sorry I meant to write "they" as in people in general keep dragging on with this series, I guess I just never really understand how this series is still popular, I tried to read the books and tried to watch the movies and I am a really big fan of pretty much anything fantasy and medieval related but this series just does not appeal to me at all and I dont really see how it has such longevity when it just does not really make any sense to me. This sets are all pretty boring to me, but again that is just my opinion, I am sure LOTR fans love all the sets they have, the only thing that looks even remotely interesting was that black castle set they have.

I won’t try to tell you how or why the LOTR series is so popular, you need to do some research on your own, but I’m sure you’ll eventually find some good reason why “some MILLIONS of people” bought millions of copies of the books, why the theatrical release attracted millions of viewers around the world and there is still big market for future bluray releases, and the most baffling question of all which is why the LEGO LOTR first wave sets sold better than the more recent Hobbit sets when the main targeted demographic are too young to have even watched the LOTR movies in theater.

Edited by Khaled Yousef

Sorry I meant to write "they" as in people in general keep dragging on with this series, I guess I just never really understand how this series is still popular, I tried to read the books and tried to watch the movies and I am a really big fan of pretty much anything fantasy and medieval related but this series just does not appeal to me at all and I dont really see how it has such longevity when it just does not really make any sense to me. This sets are all pretty boring to me, but again that is just my opinion, I am sure LOTR fans love all the sets they have, the only thing that looks even remotely interesting was that black castle set they have.

I have found that, when compared to any other set within the same price range of a different theme, LotR sets have been far more interesting. For example, the Council of Elrond set might not have been the best choice within the LotR line itself, but, compared to other $30 sets I have on my shelves, it is by far the most beautiful and interesting of the bunch (Uruk Hai Army to be excluded- it was just too awesome to rate like this). I think others would agree with me on this. This theme brought many people out of their Dark Ages and saved me from lapsing into one, so there is definitely appeal to it. Even one of the DK books (forget which one) said that LotR was one of the most anticipated themes of the year.

As Khaled pointed out, LotR is still around because many people still like it. LotR wouldn't have been listed as a core theme in Dimensions if it wasn't popular. I understand that this is your opinion, but LotR has appeal and still sells well, so it is still around while other licenses are long dead.

Edited by Master_Data

I finally supported that Rivendell project. It was always beautiful but the scaled down version looks a lot more practical.

Check out the official LEGO comments on this project, it was submitted on Feb 4th, and it says “we’ve done a preliminary check with licensing regarding your project and see no known conflicts or issues.” Which clearly means the license is still on not just for video game related stuff but also for normal sets. :thumbup:

Check out the official LEGO comments on this project, it was submitted on Feb 4th, and it says “we’ve done a preliminary check with licensing regarding your project and see no known conflicts or issues.” Which clearly means the license is still on not just for video game related stuff but also for normal sets. :thumbup:

The video game could be a wonderful way to "re-ignite" the interest in the theme and make new "normal" sets. Perhaps I'm too optimistic but I see there is still hope :classic:

That project has almost reached 5000 supporters, Edoras by Nuju is also approaching the 5000 mark and Lothlorien has already passed 8000, I’d say the interest is definitely high, and LEGO can see it clearly.

I had a dream the other night that I got my hands on a Lego retailer catalogue, and discovered an entire new wave of LotR sets. Minas Tirith, Lothlorien, Mumakil....it was all there.

....Then I woke up. *sigh* :cry_sad:

I had a dream the other night that I got my hands on a Lego retailer catalogue, and discovered an entire new wave of LotR sets. Minas Tirith, Lothlorien, Mumakil....it was all there.

....Then I woke up. *sigh* :cry_sad:

... and it would deserve front page! Like the 2012 summer catalog!

c12sah3.jpg?1

The LOTR is the third best selling book of all time at 150,000,000 copies... So, I think it's safe to say those few of us here that enjoy the source material are not off our rockers. Just sayin'.

I believe Lego understands the lasting appeal to young and old alike, and that's why they are willing to roll the dice, and give another go with the license.

Edited by MattedBricks

It doesn't clearly mean that the license is still in place for future sets. That wording has been used and discussed before. It means that their initial checks do not find other companies owning the IP or licenses that would conflict with lego doing anything with the set. They always use that wording when someone submits something for one of their current licenses.

Is that an official explanation to that particular wording or is it just a popular internet guess?

There is no doubt that the license is still on, there are small construction sets that carries the trade mark coming up this year, the details of the license are completely unknown to us, but IT IS still on. And if the license was off for bigger system sets then wouldn’t that be an “issue”? Why would they say there are no issues if they can’t release normal sets anymore? And hey, you said it yourself: “current licenses.”

I should’ve said: that clearly means the license “might” still be on not just for video game related stuff but also for normal sets. (you know, or else there’d be an issue)

Edited by Khaled Yousef

There is no official explanation of the wording. I think MAB is right that does not specifically mean that LEGO has the license, but that a competitor does not. But we know that LEGO does have the license via Dimensions. The real question is whether they are willing to produce sets for a license that does not media support (active TV or movie).

Prior to Dimensions, I would have said No. Pirates of the Caribbean was mentioned in the LEGO Shareholders report as exceeding expectations, but the line ended with the movie. Harry Potter ended with those films too.

Now, I think there is a slim possibility that Lord of the Rings could continue. I doubt it would be a robust as the first wave. But even if we got one major set a year similar to The Simpsons, I think most here would be pleased.

LEGO could have put something else in Dimensions instead of Lord of the Rings. I cannot think of another reason.

You say MAB is right that the official comment doesn’t mean LEGO have the license, but then you say we know LEGO does have the license (since we already got new LOTR Dimensions sets this year)? Which one is your opinion now, does or doesn’t have the license? :wacko:

MAB is right that IDEAS used a generic statement that used many times. That statement does not mean LEGO has the license anymore. But that fact that LEGO is using the characters in new sets in September does.

How come the statement doesn’t mean they have the license when we already know for fact they do since we’re getting LOTR themed sets?

So they used a generic statement that doesn’t mean they have the license, but at the same time we know for fact they still do?

Are you saying LEGO official responses are just generic statements that don’t mean anything; even when those statements are sustained by facts we already know to be true?

There is no official explanation of the wording. I think MAB is right that does not specifically mean that LEGO has the license, but that a competitor does not. But we know that LEGO does have the license via Dimensions. The real question is whether they are willing to produce sets for a license that does not media support (active TV or movie).

Prior to Dimensions, I would have said No. Pirates of the Caribbean was mentioned in the LEGO Shareholders report as exceeding expectations, but the line ended with the movie. Harry Potter ended with those films too.

Now, I think there is a slim possibility that Lord of the Rings could continue. I doubt it would be a robust as the first wave. But even if we got one major set a year similar to The Simpsons, I think most here would be pleased.

LEGO could have put something else in Dimensions instead of Lord of the Rings. I cannot think of another reason.

LotR is a WB property. Much the same as Batman. LegoDimensions is being developed in partnership with WB as a vehicle for their characters to go up against Skylanders and Disney Unlimited. So Gandalf Gollum etc is in Lego Dimensions because WB wishes it so. Much the same as how it worked with The Lego Movie. if anything the use of LotR characters in Lego Dmensions may reduce the chances of us seeing any nice large LotR sets.

Does anyone know around which month the Lego Ideas review will be done ?

You say MAB is right that the official comment doesn’t mean LEGO have the license, but then you say we know LEGO does have the license (since we already got new LOTR Dimensions sets this year)? Which one is your opinion now, does or doesn’t have the license? :wacko:

A seperate licensing agreement would have been created for dimensions which involves a variety of parties. A license dealing directly a video game and the time period in which such a game could possibly exist. And just as skylander and infinity one buys an expansion pack and gets a figure (in this case what amounts to a polybag) and the ability to use said figure and the related world. There is nothing in there that implies other products would be produced not explicitly related to the game and it's play.

The ideas clearing the license is a legal matter of ensuring that the license is not now nor will be owned by another party when the set would be created. The Dr. who license is an example of said review triggering the removed of dr. Who sets from ideas until at which point the license was freed for future use. At which point ideas made a statement allowing dr. Who related material to be included for inclusion. All the ideas licensing review means is there is not another entity owning said license that would create a licensing conflict.

The licensing parties for Lego Dimension is shown on its front page:

© 2015 The LEGO Group. ™ & © DC Comics. THE LEGO MOVIE © The LEGO Group & WBEI. © New Line. ™ & © SZC lic. to WBIE. ™ & © Universal Studios and U-Drive Joint Venture. ™ & © WBEI.

Edited by Darth Punk

There we go again, with all the theories about what’s happening inside the LEGO office and the legal and marketing details of things we’ve never been officially informed about.

All I know for fact is that the LEGO and LOTR partnership is alive one way or another since we’re getting more construction sets with LOTR logo on them. Elaborating on the details of such partnership, making up explanations about official responses and uninformed discussion of legal matters would lead to nothing.

As a fan, I prefer to discuss things related to the theme I like from a positive perspective. Not the trend here I see. I see people trying so hard to see the case from the worst angle possible to the extent of creating entire theories out of nothing, and I don’t understand why. Why can’t you guys just be happy we’re getting LOTR related stuff from LEGO and hope for more?

As a fan, I prefer to discuss things related to the theme I like from a positive perspective. Not the trend here I see. I see people trying so hard to see the case from the worst angle possible to the extent of creating entire theories out of nothing, and I don’t understand why. Why can’t you guys just be happy we’re getting LOTR related stuff from LEGO and hope for more?

I don't think that's the case. I think people are just trying to be realist and not get their hopes up. You have to realize a lot of us were here when the LotR license was first announced. We had such high hopes. We saw the line going for three, four, or even more waves. We thought for sure we would get some Gondor related sets and definitely would get main characters like Eowyn and the Witch King. People wanted to see army builders, the Balrog, Oliphants, Fel Beasts, Treebeard, etc. Just look at all the wish lists early on.

Then reality hit. We are still missing a good amount of content. Some of it's pretty major stuff. As much fun as it is to hope the Minas Tirith Ideas project will get made, you also have to look at it from a realistic perspective. So far no Ideas or Cussoo project has been made that cost more than $100. Usually they are around $30-50. Why would Lego suddenly go from that to a $250 set? As for the license, it's probably not the same as the original license Lego had with WB. It doesn't appear the Hobbit is included with it at all. The original license was to create sets based on the LotR and Hobbit movies. The current license has most likely been revamped so Lego can only create LotR sets based on stuff seen in the Dimensions game. That means we MIGHT see a Balrog, but it will probably come with the Riddler or something and be in a wave with BttF, Wizard of Oz, Ninjago, and Lego Movie sets. The chances of us seeing a normal LotR wave are slim to none.

Now is this speculation? Sure, but it's like with the sales debate we had awhile back.. it's educated speculation. It's not unfounded. It's how Lego operates and has handled other licenses. I would absolutely love to be wrong and see a Minas Tirith Ideas set get made and a whole nother 4 or 5 set LotR wave. Do I think it will actually happen though? No, and that's based on everything I have seen and heard.

There we go again, with all the theories about what’s happening inside the LEGO office and the legal and marketing details of things we’ve never been officially informed about.

Everything on this topic are theories. We all have our own theory on LEGO LotR, which we are all entitled to. For every argument for, there is an argument against. LEGO has not announced anything official about LEGO LotR but they have made an official announcement about LEGO Dimensions. I love LEGO LotR and own most of the sets but I personally will not get excited about a line that is driven by a video game.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

Is that an official explanation to that particular wording or is it just a popular internet guess?

There is no doubt that the license is still on, there are small construction sets that carries the trade mark coming up this year, the details of the license are completely unknown to us, but IT IS still on. And if the license was off for bigger system sets then wouldn’t that be an “issue”? Why would they say there are no issues if they can’t release normal sets anymore? And hey, you said it yourself: “current licenses.”

I should’ve said: that clearly means the license “might” still be on not just for video game related stuff but also for normal sets. (you know, or else there’d be an issue)

Of course they still have a (current) license for sets. They (and other retailers) are selling The Hobbit sets, and I believe they have a single license for both LOTR and The Hobbit.

The phrasing is a standard and has been used on other projects:

Ones without licensing issues ...

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/93900/official_comments

Ones where licensing was already known to lego ...

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/83161/official_comments

How come the statement doesn’t mean they have the license when we already know for fact they do since we’re getting LOTR themed sets?

I don't believe we are getting sets. We are getting video games with small builds. To me, these are not sets. The primary item is the video game, with a small toy to add value so they can sell for an increased price.

The current license has most likely been revamped so Lego can only create LotR sets based on stuff seen in the Dimensions game. That means we MIGHT see a Balrog, but it will probably come with the Riddler or something and be in a wave with BttF, Wizard of Oz, Ninjago, and Lego Movie sets. The chances of us seeing a normal LotR wave are slim to none.

Indeed, we might see a Balrog, but I bet it will be a fairly insignificant small build with a part count like Marty McFly's skateboard. I'd love them to prove that wrong and do a 500-600 piece or bigger "set" with the video game, but I doubt they will.