Sign in to follow this  
gundamz

Medieval Market Village

If you think parents rage is bad, just wait until you have a wife.

"How much do you think you've spent on Lego this year?"

Pretend you can't hear and run!

I guess I'm lucky, because my wife helps me carry my boxes to the register for check-out. The only thing she questions, and it is mostly a joke is the pile of yet to be built sets I have.

Lucky, lucky me!

Andy D

Allow me to share a quiet conversation I had with my wife the other day:

Wife: "I feel like I didn't get you enough stuff for Christmas..."

Me: "Did you get me the new Lego UCS B-Wing Fighter?"

Wife: "No."

Me: "Did you get me the Technic 4x4 Truck?"

Me: "How about the King's Joust and the new Winter Village set?"

Wife: "Sorry. Would you like me to get you one of those?"

Me: "Actually, they're in my closet, you just have to wrap them up and put them where I won't find them for a week - don't worry, I'll act surprised."

Me: "Actually, they're in my closet, you just have to wrap them up and put them where I won't find them for a week - don't worry, I'll act surprised."

LOL!

ShaydDeGrai, you found yourself a special wife. My wife and I have an unspoken understanding. I do not mention how much I spend and she does not ask. Still I wish she would show interest in my MOCs.

Sigolf Brimabane, I recommend that you build it. I build all of my sets once. Then I decide whether to scrap them for parts. Once you built it, you can decide if you want to change the color. Then it is just a trip to Bricklink to order the same size bricks in whatever color you want. But you might find that the model grows on you.

I have never been to Europe but I have been to Solvang, CA where they have a recreation of a Danish village. This set is a perfect representation of that era.

My wife and I have two kids. Our son is three, and our daughter 21 months.

I am quickly assimilating both kids. Our son already wakes up at 5:30 every morning to play with his Duplo trains, and our daughter is putting Duplo together too. They are both helping open the Lego advent calendar.

Soon we will outnumber and overpower mommy. We will replace her shoe rack with Lego houses and cars. Every flat surface in the house will have some sort of model displayed.

Actually, she is already being converted. She builds Duplo houses and grocery stores for the kids to play with then dismantle. :)

She is very supportive of my Lego addiction, and only occasionally questions the annual quantity required. :)

Fantastic conversation.

I think the solution here is to make sure that your wife/spouse has their own hobby that is similar in cost. My wife is into scrapbooking in a big way. We have a tacit understanding -- I don't mention the cost of all the scrapbooking materials and expos, and she doesn't gripe about the cost of LEGO. Since I handle the finances, I know that most years the LEGO expenses are less than hers, so I've always got ammo reserve in case we get into an argument (which hasn't happened yet).

Haha xD Thanks for the tip! I have to find a woman who also likes lego :) But they seem to be pretty rare :/

Probably more common than you think. Just have to find one who's self-confidant enough to admit it, or geeky enough to not care. Or you could train one. My wife wasn't into LEGO at all, but now she loves building things with my son. I wouldn't say she's a real AFOL yet, but she's on her way! And she's willing to support the pretense that I'm just doing this for the kids. :look:

Ha! :laugh: My situation is a bit easier -- I just buy all the sets for the kids, and then I get to use them. Occasionally, however, I will run into problems when I want to take one of my son's favorite models apart for parts...

Sounds surprisingly similar to a conversation I've had this week. "Do you want the Pet Shop for Christmas?" "Ummm" "how about Bag End?" "Errrrm" " how about the Town Hall?" "Look how about you just wrap up all three of those I have hidden in the closet and we never speak of this again..."

Haha, this thread went all funny <3 I just decided to buy one MMV after Yule, and maybe my brother will get himself a Kingdom's Joust so we can start building a little hamlet or a village or so :) Today I got my/our second Helm's Deep and made a pretty nice MOC of them. Maybe I'll make a thread with some pictures :)

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

Set arrived today. What are some sets that go well with MMV? This could include Castle-related sets and others (I might just include the MMV buildings in a more general town setting, haven't decided yet.)

Set arrived today. What are some sets that go well with MMV? This could include Castle-related sets and others (I might just include the MMV buildings in a more general town setting, haven't decided yet.)

Probably the best matches are

10223 Kingdoms Joust

7189 Mill Village Raid

These two are almost perfect blends with MMV. Although pretty much any of the Kingdoms Line or the Fantasy Era Castle line can be used to make some interesting scenes with it.

A few of the Hobbit and LotR sets can be used, provided you work around or are not picky about pink skinned figs.

9469 Gandalf Arrives a good little cart, horse and some details

9472 Attack on Weathertop a good little scenery piece. The crumbling ruin. plus more horses and detail pieces. May be a stretch but not bad.

9474 Helm's Deep, it's a castle.

30210 Frodo cooking corner lots of useful details and a good torso. Keg and stove.

30212 Mirkwood Elf guard. Nice details and some tree parts. Wine glass and barrel.

79003 An Unexpected Party (Bag End). How well it blends will be a matter of opinion. But the shear level of detail parts in it rivals the MMV.

From non Castle themes,

10217 Diagon Alley can be blended in if you are going for a slightly more modern period or a more fantasy approach

4738 Hagrids Hut makes a really nice Witches or Woodsmans Hut or similar.

4193 The London Escape can be used, although it doesn't blend as well as you might like. It's not a full building and seems shorter than the others.

9468 Vampyre Castle This one can be really cool if you want to go for a more classic Universal Horror type setting. The MMV makes a great village below the creepy castle type setting.

Edited by Faefrost

I have MMV, Kingdoms Joust and bought Mill Village Raid to add it to the display.

While the Minifigs and Animals in Mill Village Raid are great and the barn is kind of nice, the small Mill doesn't do anything for me.

It's a nice set, but when put next to MMV and KJ, it looks out of place.

So yeah, in my opinion displaying MMV + Kingdoms Joust together is awesome, but Mill Village Raid was more like a 65€ Battle Pack "Medieval Civilians vs. Farm Animals" :laugh:

Glad you decided to pick it up. I have 6 of these and do not regret buying a single one. I agree it is the best set for the money LEGO has ever produced. All of the new figures, cows, etc. have lost a little luster since they can be found in other sets now, but at the time of release this set was just flat out awesome!

Bought this set yesterday :) It is great. But I almost start to regret Kingdom's Joust IF the now rumoured Orthanc set will come true. But so far they are both great to have :)

Went to buy another MMV today and noticed it was sold out. I know it's supposed to be retired soon, was hoping it would last until then end of the month. Is there any chance of them finding more in stock or is it gone for good?

It's retiring soon, so we'll probably be seeing it for a couple more months. Have you tried online, Evil Porkchop? S@H, maybe?

I think the MMV is one of those must have sets. I'll miss it dearly when it's gone. I hope Lego releases a set just as detailed and quintessential as the MMV.

I'm so glad I scored this set when I did. I was trying to hold out for a good deal but started getting scared and pulled the trigger at $85.00 on Amazon. I'm glad I didn't wait though. S@H, Walmart, and Target are all out now. Amazon has them listed for $150.00 & the price is inflated on eBay as well. The days of getting this set at retail or under are probably coming close to an end.

Edited by CircleK

This was my first Lego set in 20 years which is almost a bad thing. I've since picked up 2 Helm's Deep, The Goblin King Battle, Mines of Moria, Troll Assault Wagon, and Attack on Weathertop. For me non of them compare to the joy I felt building MMV. I must be strange but I prefer the non numbered bags, and spending hours sorting and building. I say it's bad because now my brain is telling me I need to buy more sets preferably big sets to feed my addiction.

Edited by Rick
Please use the default font size. Thanks.

I got the MMV for Christmas and it's simply fantastic. Ridiculous piece value (1600 pieces for $90 (was what I paid for it)) and really great design.

This was my first Lego set in 20 years which is almost a bad thing. I've since picked up 2 Helm's Deep, The Goblin King Battle, Mines of Moria, Troll Assault Wagon, and Attack on Weathertop. For me non of them compare to the joy I felt building MMV. I must be strange but I prefer the non numbered bags, and spending hours sorting and building. I say it's bad because now my brain is telling me I need to buy more sets preferably big sets to feed my addiction.

For the type of build you like, I would also recommend the Modular Buildings. Grand Emporium, Fire Brigade, Town Hall, Pet Shop etc. While they are sort of numbered. The numbering is low, with 8-10 bags per number. With each numbered step building an entire floor of the buildings.

For the Castle type stuff, don't skip The Kingdoms Joust set either. Just a phenomenal build, and one that nicely compliments MMV.

Edited by Faefrost

I'm glad I snagged this set a couple weeks ago at $85 on eBay, since now all I see is $140 and up. I'm thinking about getting a second one.