CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

I'm betting the gatehouse has the connection points is for those who don't want their castle in a square configuration so each side connects. Then maybe the gatehouse can connect to one of the Castle sides.

I would LOVE it if that were the case.

It's interesting that the "dark faction waylaying the light faction's carriage" concept has been reversed this time around. Aside from that, very similar sets to the first year of Kingdoms. The castle is not bad, but I have no need to buy it since I'm very pleased with the Kingdoms castle and plan to buy almost all of the LOTR and Hobbit sets this year. I may buy the Dragon Mountain set and the treasure carriage, though. Dragon Mountain is very nicely done, features a wide variety of characters and, of course, a dragon. One can never have too many dragons.

I'm not crazy about either faction's color schemes, but the heraldry itself looks okay to me. Yes, it's cartoony. So what? For "realistic", I've got LOTR. That theme is so muted and realistic it's almost drab. I like that look, but I can totally see why TLG went with bright colors and exaggerated motifs for Castle's heraldry this year. For the same reason they didn't try to reinvent the wheel with the designs overall. There is only a finite amount of disposable income going around, and if they have too many amazing new themes coming out they WILL start to cannibalize their sales at some point. I, for one, never expected there would be any Castle this year for that exact reason, but I guess they feel there are enough children out there who are turned off by LOTR's dark colors and themes that they can afford to do Castle concurrently. Which is a net gain for all of us Castle AFOLs, so I see no reason to complain.

To whoever was asking if the Friends deer is really a deer, yes, it is. The Fawn was confirmed as one of the Friends collectable animals sets a while ago. I can't wait to find it "in the wild", and I do think it will work with traditional historical/fantasy MOCs. Some of the Friends animals are too exaggeratedly cute for regular Lego layouts, but a few of them do work. This looks like it will be one of them.

The Dragon's humanoid stance looks really awesome on the box art. Oh, and I love the stylised dragon/wolf/dog dripping mud heraldry.

Edited by DraikNova

On the flame piece, on the torches I wonder why they went back to the older longer flame piece? instead of using the smaller one.

On the flame piece, on the torches I wonder why they went back to the older longer flame piece? instead of using the smaller one.

They probably had another one of those playtest groups full of those darn children who get to make all of the decisions on which direction LEGO goes with their future sets and pieces, and the kids decided they liked the look of the older fire better. :tongue:

On a more serious note, I like the shape of the new fire for plumes, but I prefer the older fire style for fire. A mix of both doesn't hurt, though.

I think it's good to keep it a mix of both fires, the smaller one is nice, but it does give something of a windy/drafty impression, whereas the larger one is more of a nice, steady flame (though too big for a candle, it's more what I would want for a torch). And just in general, I think it fits better with the way this theme is going.

Warming up to these sets more and more as I go. I am pretty sure that the princess (I assume that's what she is...) is indeed behind bars in the dragon fort, as we suspected.

Interesting to note that the carriage ambush & gate sets are both 1-ups & opposite teams from the Kingdoms sets.

Edited by Artanis I

I wonder what the impulse sets will be this time around? Last time for Kingdoms we got a jester and a wizard. Maybe another jester and a soldier ? Or a jester and a queen LOL

I wonder what the impulse sets will be this time around? Last time for Kingdoms we got a jester and a wizard. Maybe another jester and a soldier ? Or a jester and a queen LOL

You know what? I don't remember there being ANY impulse sets at all since CMF have been released, I think for that very reason.

You know what? I don't remember there being ANY impulse sets at all since CMF have been released, I think for that very reason.

We got the jester and the green dragon wizard for Kingdoms. Anyways I hope there's at least going to be at least a second wave of Castle though. Anyone know if scheduled August release sets are released a bit earlier?

What about polybag sets? Do these count as impulse?

I'd prefer battle packs over impulse sets anyway.

I'm warming up to these sets more and more. The only bad thing about the sets are the terrible siege machines. Way too blocky for my taste.

Yeah we got the Target Practice, and Weapon cart for Kingdoms poly-bags but I don't think those count as impulse, but who knows.

I actually think the Crown/Lion siege engine in the Dragon Mountain set looks pretty decent, and it looks like it has golden spears. I don't like the Dragon Knights one in the King's Castle and the Gatehouse raid though, looks weak LOL

Edited by AlphaQuad

We got the jester and the green dragon wizard for Kingdoms.

In 2010, I don't remember which month the collectable minifigs came out, but I believe it was after that last lot of impulse sets. I don't think there have been any since, in any theme.

What about polybag sets? Do these count as impulse?

I refer to small boxed sets. Polybags are very limited in availability, and we pretty much never get them here, but those small boxed sets often turned up.

Polybags are very limited in availability, and we pretty much never get them here, but those small boxed sets often turned up.

Even here in the USA, we never got the polybag featuring the dragon knight with his cart, not in wide release anyway. I remember because I went looking for it as a new FOL, trying to get all Kingdoms sets. I think that one only showed up in Germany, and resellers wanted like $15+ USD for it, even when it was "current". (Not worth it!)

And +1 about no more impulse sets. Nowadays they just do polybags and then the next size up is the small or army builder sort of sets with at least 2 minifigs and more than 40 bricks or so. Well there's also small promo polybags. But gone are the days of the tiny boxed impulse set with just one fig and a weapon rack.

Lego is getting stingy with the horses again. The Crown/Lions only get one white horse with barding, and the Dragons get two black horses one with barding and the other without. An additional white horse for the Crown/Lions in the Dragon Mountain or the gatehouse Raid set would have been nice. Oh and another note is this is the first time since the Crown King of Castle 2007 and the Lion King of Kingdoms that the king doesn't have euro armor?

Edited by AlphaQuad

I don't like the Dragon Knights one in the King's Castle and the Gatehouse raid though, looks weak LOL

Seriously! The one in the gatehouse is pathetic. It shoots those small stones. Really dragon knights? You seriously pushed that thing all the way to the gatehouse so it could lob those pebbles? They might as well use their hands.

But obviously logic has taken a backseat. I mean, how do the good knights operate the catapult in the tower the gatehouse? The arm that you lower to launch the rock is sticking forward outside. How do they use it!?

But I have to disagree with you on the catapult the good knights get to attack the dragon mountain. It just looks so unnecesarily big to me. Also, that one soldier pushed it all the way there himself?? And a King's castle with only a knight a two foot soldiers??

We are a long ways away from the days where a castle would come with four knights and like six soldiers.

I still like the sets though, it just means I'll have to buy a bunch of the army builders. :grin:

I agree with most that this series is a little childish, but I missed all the kingdoms sets due to my dark ages. And the only real castle I have is the royal knights castle, (which i just love) but i could use another castle. So I'll most likely get it and the other sets in this series. Plus, I don't think they're all that bad.

I wish the Kingdoms barding could fit on the new horses so they can be in the rearing position. I want to update all my horses lol I also noticed the new head piece for the horses has the slot for the unicorn horn. Hopefully they will release more colors of the headgear.

Seriously! The one in the gatehouse is pathetic. It shoots those small stones. Really dragon knights? You seriously pushed that thing all the way to the gatehouse so it could lob those pebbles? They might as well use their hands.

But obviously logic has taken a backseat. I mean, how do the good knights operate the catapult in the tower the gatehouse? The arm that you lower to launch the rock is sticking forward outside. How do they use it!?

But I have to disagree with you on the catapult the good knights get to attack the dragon mountain. It just looks so unnecesarily big to me. Also, that one soldier pushed it all the way there himself?? And a King's castle with only a knight a two foot soldiers??

We are a long ways away from the days where a castle would come with four knights and like six soldiers.

I still like the sets though, it just means I'll have to buy a bunch of the army builders. :grin:

Do I have the permission to point out that in the beloved black falcon theme, the soldiers were completely unable to use the catapults?

It is still Lego, so still made for children. And I don't think they care if a catapult is realistic or not. All they want to do is slam on it so it fires bricks...

Do I have the permission to point out that in the beloved black falcon theme, the soldiers were completely unable to use the catapults?

It is still Lego, so still made for children. And I don't think they care if a catapult is realistic or not. All they want to do is slam on it so it fires bricks...

We're just having a good time poking fun at the silly designs. I'm sure we're all perfectly aware that children are the focus.

That said...every Black Falcon siege engine was perfectly usable and miles more logical than the catapult in the gatehouse. :grin:

We're just having a good time poking fun at the silly designs. I'm sure we're all perfectly aware that children are the focus.

That said...every Black Falcon siege engine was perfectly usable and miles more logical than the catapult in the gatehouse. :grin:

I have used the siege engine in my Battle of Mpya Stedor (flickr - eb post) and I really wondered how the minifigs could handle that giant thing :laugh:

8414693800_b1df86f9fc_c.jpg