CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Well, since it's 49.99 USD....my guess 69 bucks and up from there.......good question is general release or a retailer exclusive ?

General.

That set just doesn't seem like it is worth $50? I admit I have never read the Hobbit and don't know much about this set and characters, but to me the characters just seem pretty boring and build is just really small for a $50 set. I don't think there is another element to this set that will make seem like a better value, but I really hope the other ones are more interesting than this.

That set just doesn't seem like it is worth $50? I admit I have never read the Hobbit and don't know much about this set and characters, but to me the characters just seem pretty boring and build is just really small for a $50 set. I don't think there is another element to this set that will make seem like a better value, but I really hope the other ones are more interesting than this.

I'm guessing they're going to pin the price on the intricacy of the minifigures; the same sort of thing's happened with 70402.

(Tags for big picture)

15i7q11.jpg

nosnep.png

Thanks for posting that Deskp, the white Azog looks a lot better! Much more pale and creepy.

Sure hope Lego makes the normal one white. The head piece is still awful, but I can always change that out.

Laketown looks nice, but over-priced. At least that'll mean that it'll go on sale all that much quicker.

EDIT: My bad. Skipping 3 pages and even the last post is never a good idea.Azog looks much better in white to me.

Also, the Laketown figures look great. Good to finally have a black Qui-Gon hairpiece.

Does anybody have a picture of the real Laketown Master?

Edited by General Magma

Absolute beautiful lake town guard

Really? With this helmet I find it silly...

Like some Japan warrior .... the torso is good though.

I took at look at the better quality pics FBTB have. It really is quite a bland build, but I think the figs more than make up for it. And so what if you're unsatisfied with what LEGO gives you, build upon it yourself! Makes the interiors less boring!

Also, deskp, you're white Azog look AMAZING! White (or even light bley) is far more suited for Azog. And I think that from the sounds of the email, Azog will be recoloured in the new sets. Just the way he says it makes it seem like he's saying yes, but without explicitly saying yes, much like the woman in the MTV vid when asked about Smaug.

After seeing those FBTB pictures, I'll be waiting for this set to see a sale before purchasing. I'm guessing the wood grain on those reddish brown tiles are stickers, like in the An Unexpected Gathering set?

After seeing those FBTB pictures, I'll be waiting for this set to see a sale before purchasing. I'm guessing the wood grain on those reddish brown tiles are stickers, like in the An Unexpected Gathering set?

the 6 x 1 tiles are stickers ye the 4 x 1 are probably printed like before.

the 6 x 1 tiles are stickers ye the 4 x 1 are probably printed like before.

But, AFAIK, the 1 x 4 tiles are using this sticker unless TLG is either planning to make that sticker into a print or switch it out for the nailed wooden plank print, as shown here.

Does anybody have a picture of the real Laketown Master?

This page has lots of images from the special online event from March. Has some good pics of the Master, Thranduil and some other stuff.

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/2013/03/24/a-look-at-peter-jacksons-online-sneak-peek-of-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/

I like that Laketown fellow a lot. For $50, it really ought to have come with 2 of them at the very least, though. This is a pretty painful stretch PTP-wise, especially since there's only two new minifig headpiece molds in the set.

so everyone is meant to fit in the boat they give us?

Come on, that's not how lego works. I think they should have given us the rowbaots in a new more fitting color though! o ratleast hinted at the color it has in the movie with the bricks used in their construction on the boat.

Really? With this helmet I find it silly...

Like some Japan warrior .... the torso is good though.

Well in the Laketown context I believe you'd be better suited looking at old russian helmets, The whole laketown has an eastern european flavour to me. (the dale context is perhaps a whole other matter)

russian helmets: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/kirpichnikov_helmets/helmets.htm

Polish helmet:

166px-Polish_helmet_from_X_century.PNG

I think the complete Laketown guard is FANTASTIC. Now that we are filling in the various middle earth cultures in lego we need some gondor soldiers already!

Come on, that's not how lego works. I think they should have given us the rowbaots in a new more fitting color though! o ratleast hinted at the color it has in the movie with the bricks used in their construction on the boat.

could have just made a brick built boat, and it would not need to be that big to fit them all in but I get your point, brick built would mean that we could have made it bigger if we wanted to and might have made it better if you wanted to buy more than one set.

Edited by SMC

Honestly, this set is a bit disappointing to me. :sceptic: I have the same problem with the style of this set that I have with the trailer for "The Desolation of Smaug" - it just doesn't feel like "The Hobbit". While I really enjoyed the first movie (sans the Pale Orc stuff), the trilogy seems to continue in a way that runs in a copletely different way than I expected it to. The new minifigs look way too colourful for my taste and while the buildings look fine, the set in it's entirety looks pretty bland. I hope I enjoy the rest of this wave more.

Ok everybody here is some news for you. everyone's been complaing about the price per piece in the laketown chase. lego told is theres 339(?) pieces in the set. THIS IS WRONG I buildt the set in LDD and am currently at 461 pieces. Now My build might not be 100% accurate, BUT there is now way i used 120 pieces too many.

Conclution: The Laketown chase set has more than 450 pieces

Edited by deskp

could have just made a brick built boat, and it would not need to be that big to fit them all in but I get your point, brick built would mean that we could have made it bigger if we wanted to and might have made it better if you wanted to buy more than one set.

Sure, but I think it's fine as an addition to the laketown set, you wouldn't want the boat to look too big compared to the rest. If they wanted a more major boat, it'd be it's own set, cause apparently "ship" sets sells well.

You can however put 12 figures in the boat, Thats just 3 spots too few. (without the barrel and catapult obviously).

^ agree with all of that, I like the set and it having more pieces adds up, I will get it but I hope they have not shown off the best set, hope there is more to come

I need boats for my castle army so I may just get this set for the boat and use the brown later(if I can get cheap on amazon that is :grin: )and what are the people(forgot the names) been chased by? if there been chased by the laketown guard there going the wrong way! :laugh: or there trapped by the laketown guards

Edited by homemade sciencefiction

I don't mind the set, I generally try to judge it on source material, will be interesting to compare it with scenes from DOS.

Gosh that laketown guard figure looks amazing, Im loving the helmet, sadly the set is too expensive but I have to own a few of them figures in that set, Im going to have to pick up that awesome but expensive set when its on offer :classic: