CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I wonder if we'll get expansions to Rivendell, the Council of Elrond set has technic pins- perhaps a modular style construction?

Its to connect those 2 pieces we get in that one set together.

Seeing the new Hobbit DoS mini-poster at the Toy Fair, there are seven figures: Oin, Gloin, Fili, Kili, Thorin, Dwalin, Balin (all off of memory, lol)... Maybe I'm overanalyzing this (like I usually do with posters), but I think these are the only Dwarves we'll get in the sets later this year: Gloin/Oin in a Barrel Escape re-release, Fili/Kili in a Mirkwood Spider re-release, and then Balin/Dwalin/Thorin in the rest of the sets. So, we have the two re-releases in the whole wave. I'm guessing there will be four sets, like LOTR this year: Balin/Dwalin in one set, and Thorin and Bilbo in another set.

Guys if you watch these videos of the new sets on YouTube there are some really good close ups, also the guy who does the filming takes the helmet of the mouth of sauron and he has a weird face

(The black gate set looks the best and it seems to have a locking mechanism) :classic:

I RECOMMEND WATCHING THEM!!

Seeing the new Hobbit DoS mini-poster at the Toy Fair, there are seven figures: Oin, Gloin, Fili, Kili, Thorin, Dwalin, Balin (all off of memory, lol)... Maybe I'm overanalyzing this (like I usually do with posters), but I think these are the only Dwarves we'll get in the sets later this year: Gloin/Oin in a Barrel Escape re-release, Fili/Kili in a Mirkwood Spider re-release, and then Balin/Dwalin/Thorin in the rest of the sets. So, we have the two re-releases in the whole wave. I'm guessing there will be four sets, like LOTR this year: Balin/Dwalin in one set, and Thorin and Bilbo in another set.

That poster is part of AUJ promotion. Its been around for months. I assume lego used it casue it was a nice poster and featured Thorin.

the guy who does the filming takes the helmet of the mouth of sauron and he has a weird face

Same he's got in the video game.

Edited by deskp

I doubt they're going to re-release those sets as part of the wave, but you never know - I hope it wouldn't mean the sacrifice of 2 other Hobbit sets.

It only takes the removal of those red stickers on the boxes to have them as actual re-releases, but it does fill up the set space.

Edited by General Magma

That poster is part of AUJ promotion. Its been around for months. I assume lego used it casue it was a nice poster and featured Thorin.

Ah, I never noticed it before.

Same he's got in the video game.

No it can't be it says desolation of smaug at the top and thorin is not wearing his grey armour you can clearly see he has flesh arms.

No it can't be it says desolation of smaug at the top and thorin is not wearing his grey armour you can clearly see he has flesh arms.

His arms are grey and his torso i jsut the same as before.

The poster was obviously not released with the same text on it before.

______

Its ncie that both Elrond and Aragorn comes with 2 colored capes! Even tho I think Elrond shouldnt need a cape.

Edited by deskp

Ok, these sets looks fantastic.

The Wizard Battle looks nice, but it really is just a cheap way of getting Saruman. Amazing fig.

Rivendell looks beautiful! Elrond looks great, but to me Arwen is the star of the set. Gorgeous hairpiece, can't wait to see the printing up close.

Black Gate looks amazing. The gate itself is good, could be done better as a bigger set. But Gandalf, Aragorn and the Mouth look absolutely stunning. The Mouth is the best evil fig they've done yet.

The Corsair ship looks good. Again, its a set for the figs, to me at least. They've done a great job with the ship, it looks great, but the Dead Men of Dunharrow are the stars here. Great colours. I ain't quite tell what colour their skin is. It looks like its a greenish yellow, either a rarely used colour or completely new.

My only real gripe is the lack of Anduril (which is kind of a big deal) and the lackluster look of the orcs. If they had done printed armour, it would have been better. Also, a new helmet rather than using the Uruk one.

Still, I'm gonna get them all!

The sets themselves look great but I'm really disappointed with the lack of any new prints for Orc bodies or heads! Come one , lego, you can do better

His arms are grey and his torso i jsut the same as before.

The poster was obviously not released with the same text on it before.

______

Its ncie that both Elrond and Aragorn comes with 2 colored capes! Even tho I think Elrond shouldnt need a cape.

They are definitley flesh not grey they look same as his hands take a look at the image again. This other poster you speak of i cannot seem to find!! The only posters i remember were the one released with lego club magazine with all the characters and gollum and the one of gandalf and bilbo at bag end. The shadow at the side makes one of the arms seem grey but the arm in the light is definitley the same colour as the hand holding the axe and same flesh colour as the head.. It is flesh clear as day.

Edited by legofreak86

There's 2 switches at the back of the wizards duel, looks like one is to make Suruman fly out of his chair but the other looks like it could be a light up feature for the eye of Sauron!!! :wub:

When should we expect FBTB's pictures to be up? They always seem to take the most in depth photos of the sets, so I can't wait to see their coverage.

I love all these sets and the prices are fantastic. They are much better than the Hobbit sets per the build IMO. For some reason I thought the eagle would be larger. Still, the eagle looks fantastic especially with the printing. I don't even mind the feet molded together.

They are definitley flesh not grey they look same as his hands take a look at the image again. This other poster you speak of i cannot seem to find!! The only posters i remember were the one released with lego club magazine with all the characters and gollum and the one of gandalf and bilbo at bag end. The shadow at the side makes one of the arms seem grey but the arm in the light is definitley the same colour as the hand holding the axe and same flesh colour as the head.. It is flesh clear as day.

Its the light making it seem like flesh, even Filis sword looks like flesh where its in light.

you can see the 2 accompanying poster images here

The 2 dwarf posters excists as PDF somewhere online

http://www.toyark.com/news/toy-fair-59/toy-fair-2013-lego-lord-of-the-rings-images-7233/

Toyark put up a TON of good pictures of all the forthcoming LotR sets.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that some obvious Terry Pratchet fan in the Lego booth set up the Pirate Ship with Gimli using a loaf of "battle bread" as his weapon?

I'm impressed.

Wizard Duel looks astounding for such a small set. Saruman is amazing, and the Palantir is actually really cool.

The Black Gate is beautiful. It has a really imposing feel to it, which is perfect. And that Eagle is astounding! Gandalf the White, Aragorn, and the Mouth of Sauron are all amazing, though the lack of Anduril is disappointing.

The Council of Elrond is so perfectly Rivendell-esque! Elrond and Arwen are beautiful!

The Corsair ship is great as well! The Oathbreakers are amazingly detailed. Again, the lack of Anduril is disappointing more so here considering how important it is in recruiting the Oathbreakers. They've had far less molds in this wave than they have in others, and so there's really no reason to not have it. The lack of Orcist and Glamdring I could live with, due to all the other molds in the wave at that point and their lack of any serious importance, but this is less forgivable.

All those new Lotr sets are beautiful. But my mouth felt open saying "Holy shit" out loud when I spotted the new arches in The council of Elrond set. I can't wait to see more sets in the future with different colours of this arch brick. Gothic themed building will be much more fun and cool with those parts.