CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Even the blurry pictures of it look great. Yet another set to add to my list to get. Nobody has an idea for a release date do they?

Which picture are you refferring to? The Orthanc one?

Even the blurry pictures of it look great. Yet another set to add to my list to get. Nobody has an idea for a release date do they?

The Blurry catalog pics we saw seemed to imply June for the retail sets. (So figure May - July depending on where you are). Absolutely no word on the Orthanc set which is a D2C.

Will we see the new LOTR sets on sunday?

There is a picture/video embargo on some Lego stuff. For LotR, it's until Easter 2013 so we may not be seeing any pics for awhile. This is why we didn't see any pictures for certain themes from the German toy fair, but were able to seet hem for other themes like Castle and Chima. This is what Joe had to say regarding the issuie (he is the photogopher of many of the pictures we saw):

Dear community. We were not allowed to show you the videos of LOTR and Star Wars. We have some embargo dates for these videos. These are:

LOTR / Star Wars (Yoda's Chronicals): Easter 2013

Marvel / DC Universe: April/May

Friends Dolphin Yacht: May (as far as it seems to us we may publish the vid earlier - we are already discussing that with lego.

Best wishes from the spieletest team.

Edited by Deathleech

There is a picture/video embargo on some Lego stuff. For LotR, it's until Easter 2013 ...

Strange... Why put an embargo on LOTR, everyone knows the story. I understand their policy concerning the Superheroes sets.

Strange... Why put an embargo on LOTR, everyone knows the story. I understand their policy concerning the Superheroes sets.

Stranger still, because we'll see almost all of those at the NY toy fai this sunday.

I don't get why the embargo would be later this year than last. I still chouse to believe NY toy fair will give us pictures of the LOTR stuff.

LEGO representatives working at toy fair arn't always the most reliable sources. LOTR wasnt allowed to be photographed as last years german toy fair either, so this person is proapbly just mixing up dates.

(at london toy fair one said the bttf set wasnt a real thing, this was months after it was announced online.)

I don't believe this picture embargo stuff for a second. There is no need to not show off pictures of these sets until April; the movies have been out for years so pretty much everyone knows the story. The same applies to Star Wars, except for that Yoda Chronicles set which is still fairly shrouded in mystery. I can, however, understand the Super Heroes embargo as the Summer sets are all based off upcoming movies. But then, by that logic, wouldn't the Lone Ranger sets also have a picture embargo on them?

Either way, hopefully we get pictures of these LOTR sets from the New York Toy Fair when that comes around. I'm still hoping for better views of the actual sets and some of the minifigures.

Assuming we do see the sets sunday/monday, does anyone think they will still be preliminary? I'm guessing not but im curious...

Assuming we do see the sets sunday/monday, does anyone think they will still be preliminary? I'm guessing not but im curious...

The figures will be less preliminary (molds will be 3D printed, if I recall correctly from all ToyFairs),

some prints may be stickers, etc., but other than that, the concepts of the figures will most likely be final (if there won't be any kind of last-minute chance).

Which picture are you refferring to? The Orthanc one?

Yes thats the one I was referring to.

The Blurry catalog pics we saw seemed to imply June for the retail sets. (So figure May - July depending on where you are). Absolutely no word on the Orthanc set which is a D2C.

Thanks, I'm in the USA.

Looking at the pictures of the offices at LEGO. I think that most of the Lord of the Rings sets that are featured on the back wall will become sets. You can already see Helms Deep and what looks like Shelob. You can also see the set Rivendell. There is also a set in the first column, third grid down that looks like the one featured in the bonus level in Lego Lord of the Rings. Knowing that some of the buildings in the Lego Lord of the Rings Video Game bonus level are actually real sets there is a slight possibility that those sets that are featured on that back wall are going to be real sets. I see a Balrog (first column, 4 grids down), the Lorien set featured in the game, Orthanc. I can't make out the other sets but it looks as if we are getting another Isengard/Orc forge.

The figures will be less preliminary (molds will be 3D printed, if I recall correctly from all ToyFairs),

some prints may be stickers, etc., but other than that, the concepts of the figures will most likely be final (if there won't be any kind of last-minute chance).

Last year only the orc forge set was 3d printed and used stickers and preliminary box art, everything else from lotr was final in every way.

I'm getting tired of people keep bringing up the picture from the lego offices :wall:

Looking at the pictures of the offices at LEGO. I think that most of the Lord of the Rings sets that are featured on the back wall will become sets. You can already see Helms Deep and what looks like Shelob. You can also see the set Rivendell. There is also a set in the first column, third grid down that looks like the one featured in the bonus level in Lego Lord of the Rings. Knowing that some of the buildings in the Lego Lord of the Rings Video Game bonus level are actually real sets there is a slight possibility that those sets that are featured on that back wall are going to be real sets. I see a Balrog (first column, 4 grids down), the Lorien set featured in the game, Orthanc. I can't make out the other sets but it looks as if we are getting another Isengard/Orc forge.

Sigh!. Look more broadly at that picture. Yes there are a lot of LoTR sets shown, most of which we have gotten as retail sets. But there is a lot in that picture that has not seen production and probably never will. Watto head? Huge scale Probe Droid? Wookie set? Plus more definite there is a gorgeous Pirate ship that was never made, and two Alien Conquest sets not only designed, but actually with the retail boxes on display, that were never made. It is a picture of the design room at a moment in time. Not a checklist of what they will make, or a visual promise or guarantee.

Sigh!. Look more broadly at that picture. Yes there are a lot of LoTR sets shown, most of which we have gotten as retail sets. But there is a lot in that picture that has not seen production and probably never will. Watto head? Huge scale Probe Droid? Wookie set? Plus more definite there is a gorgeous Pirate ship that was never made, and two Alien Conquest sets not only designed, but actually with the retail boxes on display, that were never made. It is a picture of the design room at a moment in time. Not a checklist of what they will make, or a visual promise or guarantee.

He did say "there is a slight possibility that those sets that are featured on that back wall are going to be real sets"

But I can understand people getting annoyed at all the other posters adamant that we will definitely be getting an ewok village (cough cough Kashyyyk) set etc because it's in the photo. :hmpf: I read the LOTR & SW topics and this keeps coming up again & again in both.

Guess what?!!11!!? I just found a photo that confirms we will be getting the brick separator in a NEW COLOUR!1! OMGFL!

Edited by Artanis I

Yes, I did see the Watto and the other sets, they're at the front of the photograph.

I do agree with you on that we will not see many sets in this picture, particularly the ones that you suggested. It's already been confirmed that we are not seeing that Yavin set at the bottom.

If you have played the game would would of noticed in the bonus level that several of the buildings were taken directly from sets. Weathertop, Rivendell, Helms Deep, The Black Gate etc. I could go one. What I'm saying that because I saw

in the game and now again in the lego office photo. There could be a possbility that it could become a set.

I'm just speculating, not confirming. I have 2 sources which correlate and backup my point. Neither definitely confirm that we are getting a particular set, but seeing it in both the office picture and the game, we could see the Lorien set.

But I can understand people getting annoyed at all the other posters adamant that we will definitely be getting an ewok village (cough cough Kashyyyk) set etc because it's in the photo. :hmpf: I read the LOTR & SW topics and this keeps coming up again & again in both.

People just really want that set. If they see hope they'll cling to it hahahah

Edited by Tauntaunwampa

I don't believe this picture embargo stuff for a second. There is no need to not show off pictures of these sets until April; the movies have been out for years so pretty much everyone knows the story. The same applies to Star Wars, except for that Yoda Chronicles set which is still fairly shrouded in mystery. I can, however, understand the Super Heroes embargo as the Summer sets are all based off upcoming movies. But then, by that logic, wouldn't the Lone Ranger sets also have a picture embargo on them?

Either way, hopefully we get pictures of these LOTR sets from the New York Toy Fair when that comes around. I'm still hoping for better views of the actual sets and some of the minifigures.

the Embargo's are mainly a factor of the licenses. Lego cannot release pics or info of the sets until the agreed upon dates. whether there is a movie out or not doesn't matter. It is simply a factor of the contracts. Often the IP holder will have some marketing campaign or promo or something that they wish a release to tie into in some way. In the case of the LotR sets, WB/New Line wants them timed to feed a certain amount of interest into the second Hobbit film. Sort of as a teaser. They want them placed where they will do the most good for that.

The only hard embargo that seems weird is the one Friends set, because Lego owns that IP. The only thing I can think of is it may be part of the marketing agreements for the Friends show?

Hopefully some unscrupulous photographer leaks a few snaps anonymously. But honestly, I'm fine with any description and confirmation of Orthanc for the time being. Most of us are going to buy all the sets, so what's the point in waiting with bated breath?

Not sure if this belongs here, but i whipped up an idea of how an old Bilbo Baggins minifigure could look in physical form by swapping a few of the colors on his younger fig.

http://www.brickshel...ff/oldbilbo.png

What do you think?

Eh, I think the young Bilbo looks too old anyway...

Not sure if this belongs here, but i whipped up an idea of how an old Bilbo Baggins minifigure could look in physical form by swapping a few of the colors on his younger fig.

http://www.brickshel...ff/oldbilbo.png

What do you think?

Not bad; at least the wrinkles on his face actually fits in now in contrast to the actual Hobbit version.

Bilbo is 50 years old in the hobbit, so it makes sense to have some wrinkles.

Yes, but that's a young age for a hobbit. Frodo was older than that when he went on his journey.

Oh stop it you guys. In the movies they do not work with the same ages specified in the books.

Oh stop it you guys. In the movies they do not work with the same ages specified in the books.

I'm just saying that it makes sense for Bilbo (50 years old) to have wrinkles and Frodo (33 years old) not to.