CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

The reason why we have The Hobbit sets is to promote the upcoming movies, if they were made after the release, it would defeat the whole point of them. Also the line will probably end a year or so after the movies have been released.

The reason why we have The Hobbit sets is to promote the upcoming movies, if they were made after the release, it would defeat the whole point of them. Also the line will probably end a year or so after the movies have been released.

I know,but have You seen what mistakes are happening,Yazneg on the White warg?? Only Azog can ride him,and we get Yazneg except Azog in Attack of the wargs set,so big mistake

Some mistakes aren't always on purpose. They had certain source material to follow (from my understanding) and that material changed but TLG was too far into production. Makes perfect sense. It is very possible they will release an Azog figure next year meaning we get Azog and Yazneg instead of just Azog. Either way, I welcome new orcs into my collection. I'm quite pleased with the minifigures so far from LOTR and Hobbit, although I do wish to have fewer multiples of main characters, which won't ever change since each set needs to be a play set for the children.

I know,but have You seen what mistakes are happening,Yazneg on the White warg?? Only Azog can ride him,and we get Yazneg except Azog in Attack of the wargs set,so big mistake

Look at the bright side: LEGO will fix the mistake for the next wave, so in the end we'll have both Yazneg and Azog.

Edited by Darth Lurtz

The German market is traditionally very important but its always been known that the typical German child does not buy fantasy toys in general. This is not new and TLG like all toy manufacturers are well aware of this.

I think you will find that TLG's licensed themes do better in North America and they would've planned for this

Thank you.

The determinate for LotR probably is not going to be Germany. While Germany is one if the more important core backbones of Lego sales, they tend to be more traditionalists. Germany more than any other area is what drives the popularity of the City line. The Licensed lines such as LotR's and Superheroes represent more of a stronger push into the North American market. Just as Friends is a push into a new customer base. LotR's success or failure will be determined mainly on North American retail shelves. And mainly with an older target audience then their traditional 6 to 12. Lego pretty well owns the German toy market. The licensed lines more represent their dominance fight against Hasbro and Mattel in North America.

But anyways someone from the movie production had to approve it.

Wow, those figures look great. Never thought I'd see the King of the Dead in Lego form, let alone the Peter Jackson pirate, so the selection looks great to me.

I would hardly call it a 'big' mistake. Yeah, it's an error, but whatever. We got a Yazneg figure out of it, a character we would never of got otherwise, and will likely get an Azog figure in the next wave. Hardly cause to say that the Hobbit sets should be released several months after the film was released (which would be a terrible marketing decision).

But anyways someone from the movie production had to approve it.

Yes,but Lego shuldn't ask for it,it is better to wait half year more to make perfect set,than before release date of the movie to screw up

Yes,but Lego shuldn't ask for it,it is better to wait half year more to make perfect set,than before release date of the movie to screw up

Probably by the time Jackson decided to make 3 movies out of 2 the sets were already in production, so there was no point keeping them in the werehouses, or correct the figure.

I know you guys are complaining about getting the same figures that you already have, and I feel your pain. But for me its kind of a good thing, seeing that i just returned from my dark ages I wasn't able to get some of these minifigures. So I'm happy to be able to get these figures in this awesome looking set.

No. TLC releases liscene-theme sets in time with their release to maximise the amount of sets sold. Holding back on the sets until the excitement of the film has died down and the kids have less interest than they would have, just so they can make sure the correct Orc is on the correct Warg is not a viable business strategy.

No. TLC releases liscene-theme sets in time with their release to maximise the amount of sets sold. Holding back on the sets until the excitement of the film has died down and the kids have less interest than they would have, just so they can make sure the correct Orc is on the correct Warg is not a viable business strategy.

Well,that's really big mistake,that's like they put Gandalf the White on regullar black or brown horse except Shadowfax

If it would set whole production back half a year or more and thus probably lose millions of profits for Lego, I would take a regular brown horse instead of Shadowfax any day. I would lament it, yes, but compared to the alternative it would be easily the better option. We live in an imperfect world.

Lordof theBricks, you are being a bit childish in your demands of the Lego corp. Releasing Yazneg on a White Warg is hardly a giant "mistake" that needs to be fixed posthaste - The shift to 3 movies happened in Aug/Sept 2013, well after Lego's production cycle had been underway for the sets for An Unexpected Journey. There's a grey warg you can put Yazneg on in the same set, in any case. Criticisms of Lego continually putting out fellowship characters in the same forms and without capes are fine, but calling the developers "screw ups" is unfair - we've all watched the developer videos and seen the care and attention these designers put into the sets and minifigs. They handled the shift from 2 to 3 movies as best they could, and ultimately it's for the best - we'll get an Azog in either The Desolation of Smaug wave or the There And Back Again wave, so as was said earlier, we'll have *both* Yazneg and Azog *and* his white warg. As TFOLs and AFOLs, we share your enthusiasm for Lego LOTR and The Hobbit - there's no need for undue criticism of circumstances that are out of Lego's control. Better to direct constructive criticism towards future waves.

And speaking of the future, please, nobody take into account the rumormongering about "lego LOTR doing terrible because my totally reliable buddy told me at some convention." All that does is waste posts and time on useless worrying. We've been through this before time and again. Sketchy, unconfirmed statements are really not worth fretting about.

Oh, and Basteq was correct. It's technically *3* sets that were from the next movie - Barrel Escape, Mirkwood Spiders, and the Mirkwood Elf Guard polybag.

Edited by Darth Caedus

Hmm, interesting. While I personally would have liked a ridiculous neon green colour like in the video game for the dead soldiers, this dull/pale/sand/whatever it is green works too. Neon green would probably be too bright for the theme. :tongue:

It's unfortunate that we don't see that Orc Commander guy who has the small skull on his head in the set, though. I don't mind that we're getting more reused Mordor Orcs, but it's a real lost opportunity there.

I can't help but think that if there were more sets in which to get the main characters in, they could possibly exclude Legolas and Gimli and throw in another Orc or Corsair. Gimli already appears in the Council of Elrond, so if Legolas had his own set somewhere they might have been able to do that. Depending on how long Lord of the Rings runs for, we're probably going to see those three over and over, so the least they could do is give them new capes or something, too.

And speaking of the future, please, nobody take into account the rumormongering about "lego LOTR doing terrible because my totally reliable buddy told me at some convention." All that does is waste posts and time on useless worrying.

Well, let me waste 1 more post. He is a corporate Lego employee for North America. There is not that many positions here... He is not my "buddy". I even asked how it was doing compared to POTC, and the look on his face was enough.

On a lighter note. I used to be upset about the not getting azog thing, but not when were lucky to have any LOTR sets at all

Well, let me waste 1 more post. He is a corporate Lego employee for North America. There is not that many positions here... He is not my "buddy". I even asked how it was doing compared to POTC, and the look on his face was enough.

I highly doubt that. I can tell just from the stocks that LotR is doing much better than PotC - LotR is selling very well, whereas PotC sets can still be found in a few stores.

I would buy the ship 3x times when it doesn't include main characters. -Sorry LEGO! Therefore I will buy that ship only 1x time. I don't need so many Aragorns...

(LOL, that is crazy! I would really buy that ship 3x times. But the main characters stops me. :laugh: )

LotR is an army building theme! How can LEGO assumes that LotR will become successful when they doesn't provide any army building sets??

Customers, which are willing to buy LEGO LotR sets are be compelled to buy those sets for only one time. Because in each set is at least one main character included. :laugh:

LEGO offers no opportunities for army building.

That isn't profitable. If LEGO is willing to survive then they have to become innovative! They must create real (3 in 1) creator sets. LEGO must give us a reason to buy those sets several times!

LotR is really an amazing theme. IF that theme don't become profitable then only because of LEGO self. Because LEGO isn't able to become innovative!

Just imagination: LEGO provides with the bricks an innovative toy with endless possibilities for several combinations of structures and buildings. AND LEGO's managers aren't clever enough to receive clever license contracts for clever innovative creator sets and army building sets... :laugh:

No offense but your opinion ( saying lego isn't clever and doesn't know how to be profitable) is hilarious. What do you do? Besides thinking that lego makes sets for you. Do you really think that TLG which has been around for 50-60++ years doesn't know how to be profitable? Your crazy. The reason thier profitable is because they don't listen to people like you. How can you call TLG unINNOVATIVE? HA HA HA HA HA HA. Wooooowwww. Judging by the way your talking your an adult which means your not even in legos number one target demographic. Let me know when your multi billion/million(??) Company is around for long and has as big of a following as TLG does. Who says LOTR is for army building? I have all the sets released and some in multiples and don't use it for army building. Your posting extremely loud accusatory statements from your opinion, which is fine because you have that right, but don't act like you speak for anyone but yourself. And don't think your opinion (from an anonymous sn with no credentials that justify your statements ) is anything but something for me to laugh at. You wont but multiples because of a minifigs that comes in the box? Ha ha were you trying to sound cool or like you have alot of money or something? Come on bro

I highly doubt that. I can tell just from the stocks that LotR is doing much better than PotC - LotR is selling very well, whereas PotC sets can still be found in a few stores.

There actually is room to split the difference there. Assuming DB's conversation in honestly and accurately relayed to us, which we really have no reason to question. One key question to ask is how Lego treats LotR abd The Hobbit. Do they view them as the same line, or as two different properties, in terms of judging results? Just from eyeballing things, the initial Lord of the Rings waves were probably quite disappointing in North America. Especially the higher end sets. A lot of sets blown out cheaply at discount before the holidays. A good amount still on shelves. Now the Hobbit seems to have sold substantially better. At least some sets such as Unexpected Gathering.

Lordof theBricks, you are being a bit childish

Oh, and Basteq was correct. It's technically *3* sets that were from the next movie - Barrel Escape, Mirkwood Spiders, and the Mirkwood Elf Guard polybag.

4 if you count gandalf in dol guldar

I have a source* as well that has told me LOTR/HOBBIT have sold very well. (*hint that source is my wallet) :wink:

Can't we just appreciate that we are NOW getting LOTR/HOBBIT sets, and not worry about the possibility of future waves.

I think alot of people are still slightly confused about a couple topics here. And whereas I'm no special authority, I am a huge fan of LOTR/Hobbit and track a number of other products being offered at this time. I make it my job to be well-informed.

Lego received early information on the movies awhile back in order to be able to plan sets and execute them in time for the movie's release. Many companies did this, as well, including Bridge Direct, Gentle Giant, Noble Collection, United Cutlery - all had to prep product for their own big launches. Now given that the Hobbit only changed to three movies a week after SDCC and a number of Hobbit products were released in the US around Oct, there was simply no time to make the adjustment. The most that Lego could have done is exactly what they did - create a small packaging label that indicates some sets are "Previews". With all the other annomolies, Lego simply had no time. That means no time to draw-up a new Azog and swap him with Yazneg. Meanwhile the same issues happened with Bridge Direct - they released action figures of Legolas and Tauriel even though neither appear in AUJ. So, did they mess up, as well? No, they were going off of alot of the same material that everyone was given before the movies split.

As for the line failing, that is not the case. Lego's website, Lego's stores, and retail stores still devote alot of shelf space for LOTR/Hobbit and all have just gone through new planogram resets for the year. If they thought it was doing poorly, they would have cut back the space - as it is, they have alot of space for it. All this "I talked to somebody once who said he was..." is just people being mislead or people trying to mislead others. If you want to believe something on the internet, you need alittle bit more proof than you know somebody, that knows somebody, that knows somebody else that said something. Really, next time a rep talks takes out a camera phone, make a video, and post it on Youtube. Otherwise, be prepared for the comment to be systematically dissected.

Anyway, Lego rocks. LOTR/Hobbit is awesome. There's no issue with the products - everyone did a great job with what they had to go on and even with errors, they're still selling like hotcakes. And lighten up - the sky ain't fallin'.

One key question to ask is how Lego treats LotR abd The Hobbit. Do they view them as the same line, or as two different properties, in terms of judging results?

I forgot to ask him that, but I did ask him if the hobbit boosted LOTR sales at all, he said barely...

I thought the reason for why barrel escape and mirkwood spider sets came out when they weren't in the movie was common knowledge but apparently not.

What I read was that originally they weren't going to follow Gandalfs side of the story where he deals with the Necromancer. That part is only briefly mentioned in the book and the story stays focused on the main group of Bilbo and the Dwarves when Gandalf leaves.

But they owned the rights to the appendix in the return of the king where more of the info on the necromancer is discussed. It was decided to tell more of the story than the Hobbit book actually covers as we all know and thus decided it had to be 3 movies to tell it all...and it makes more money that way as well...

That is also why we have Lego sets that are "Sneak Preview" sets. The spiders and the barrels were originally going to be in the first movie when the toys were planned. The way they added the necromancer content and broke up the movie into thirds was an after thought.

I read an interview with peter jackson where they actually called the actors back to film the necromancer parts after the original first 2 movies were completed.

That was rambling thoughts but hopefully it made some sense...