Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2013 Pictures and Rumors

I CAN HAZ GREEN PIG MAN

That is a truly horrible picture of the rancor.

Besides that actual picture, I really like the Rancor maybe because rancors have been one of my favorite creatures in all of Star Wars. I don't know. default_laugh_new.gif

Let me just say that for the people that don't like the Rancor figure because of its comical design: It's Lego. It's not to be taken so seriously. While watching Return of the Jedi, one can see that the menacing malicious monstrous rancor is just a awkwardly moving, rubbery puppet and all of that shows in the figure. I feel that the use of a figure instead of something brick built is a better way to go for Lego. If brick built, the Rancor itself would have been the set with maybe a few pieces thrown together to be called the pit. Come on people, this would not have cost more than Jabba's Palace.

I know this could start a whole new topic in of itself (and not really trying to start one here) but I feel this relates: Would the Cave Troll and the Hulk have been better if THEY were brick built?

That is a truly horrible picture of the rancor.

What's wrong with the picture? The picture looks fantastic to me. Perhaps you're saying something more about the angle by which the Rancor is shown, but I see nothing wrong with the picture.

I really like the Rancor as a proper figure, and not a brick-built figure; it looks much better this way. I'm not so sure I like the set it comes in though. I know it's meant to be playable and all, but it seems a bit bare to me. I'll still buy it though. default_tong.gif

As with the Wampa, I wish that some of the rounder edges of the Rancor were more blocky, sculpted the way the old horse was, but I think that it fits in with today's minifigs just fine.

What's wrong with the picture? The picture looks fantastic to me. Perhaps you're saying something more about the angle by which the Rancor is shown, but I see nothing wrong with the picture.

I meant it makes the Rancor look ridiculous, that's I made a reference to those awful cat internet meme's.

I meant it makes the Rancor look ridiculous, that's I made a reference to those awful cat internet meme's.

I have no idea what that is, so perhaps if I'd got the reference I would've understand what you meant. I don't even think it's a horrible angle; it's nice to see the thing from all angles.

I love the 'can not unsee' look on his face. :laugh: I still love the Rancor, beady eyes and all! :tongue:

The set looks even better in the new photos, and it's very tempting! The rancor strikes a nice balance between detail and still looking like it has Lego 'roots'. I just hope it's not going to be more than £65, othewise it's going to be a rather pricey when combined with Jabba's Palace. Hopefully, both sets will be discounted quickly!

Though I have yet to get Jabbas palace, I'm still looking forward to the Rancor. It was one of my favourite scenes growing up and I feel they've done a good job with the mould. I'm quite happy they didn't go the brickbuilt route after seeing what they've been capable of with the Dino line. Anywho, that latest picture makes the Rancor look both sinister and cute! :grin:

I believe the set is really similar to 8089 Hoth Wamp Cave in terms of pieces and minifigures therefore they will have a similar price :wink:

I believe the set is really similar to 8089 Hoth Wamp Cave in terms of pieces and minifigures therefore they will have a similar price :wink:

Well im afraid i must disagree. The wampa cave was a £35 little set with a tiny cave and a small ship. While this is considerably larger with certanlty a few hundred more peices so i am expecting for £50? (hopefully)

Comparison pics :wink:

7669305778_93d28e68b9.jpg

e by Joker 789, on Flickr

7669305484_eba3daa173.jpg

t by Joker 789, on Flickr

Edited by The Joker1

I believe Lego said at their Comic-Con panel that Rancor Pit would be $59.99, so yeah, I think the UK price would be around £50.

Well im afraid i must disagree. The wampa cave was a £35 little set with a tiny cave and a small ship. While this is considerably larger with certanlty a few hundred more peices so i am expecting for £50? (hopefully)

Comparison pics :wink:

[snip]

Rancor vs. Wampa ! Who would win?

Edited by Brickdoctor
Please don't quote images from recent posts.

Rancor vs. Wampa ! Who would win?

Haha sounds brilliant. Remind me of that when the rancor pit is released and i will make a video to find out. :laugh:

Edited by The Joker1

I believe the Rancor is just way bigger for the Wampa, I wonder if the minifigures will show the same size difference. The Rancor seems awefully of-scale. :hmpf_bad:

The Rancor seems awefully of-scale. :hmpf_bad:

True, but if they made it too big it wouldn't be able to fit in the pit which would mean they'd have to make the pit bigger and then the pit wouldn't fit under jabbas palace.

Someone (and there are too many pages to find out who) mentioned that it's a disappointment to see a moulded Rancor after so many brick-built incarnations of the creature. I agree with them. There was a reason LEGO hed back from releasing this set for so long, and that was because a) a moulded Rancor is such a ridiculous concept, why doesn't LEGO just mould everything if they're going to do that, and b) designing a rancor pit set where both the pit and rancor are composed of bricks would be far to pricey for hardly anyone to be willing to pay. Although I love seeing sets from the original Star Wars saga, this was a dodgey move.

Someone (and there are too many pages to find out who) mentioned that it's a disappointment to see a moulded Rancor after so many brick-built incarnations of the creature. I agree with them. There was a reason LEGO hed back from releasing this set for so long, and that was because a) a moulded Rancor is such a ridiculous concept, why doesn't LEGO just mould everything if they're going to do that, and b) designing a rancor pit set where both the pit and rancor are composed of bricks would be far to pricey for hardly anyone to be willing to pay. Although I love seeing sets from the original Star Wars saga, this was a dodgey move.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. While a brick built Rancor could have the potential to look really cool or also have the potential to be sturdy enough to play with, I don't think it could do both and still be a cost effective solution. Lego is looking for play value, what with the target market being kids (something we tend to forget around here). I don't see how they could accomplish all their goals (cheap, sturdy, mostly accurate) using a brick built Rancor.

Clanure

Oh yeah. And the eyes aren't right anyway. They should be beady. No white showing. Just saying.

There aren't any whites showing. The white part of the print is just a little "sparkle" like on all minifigure eyes. You're not alone in misunderstanding this, though-- I still think it's absurd how so many sites including the venerable Bricklink refer to these sparkles as "pupils" for no conceivable reason.

Good question. If TLG is willing to mold Rancors, they could mold any animal! What's to stop them from molding bears? Or Dewbacks? Or Dragons? Or-- heaven forbid-- horses? We had better hope that TLG doesn't continue down this slippery slope or they might run the risk of being consistent about which animals are pre-molded!

I exaggerate, of course. Truth be told I'm fine with some "semi-brick-built" animals like the Ninjago dragons as long as they have relatively organic-looking shapes (i.e. avoiding too many right angles and rigid-looking surfaces), printed eyes, and the same level of detail we come to expect of other human and animal minifigures. But there's a limit to how well this can work for licensed themes where TLG has to be very specific about the appearance.

With the Rancor, an accurate brick-built version could end up brittle, prohibitively expensive, complicated to build, and not enough like its intended subject for kids to identify with it as a living creature. I've seen some gorgeous brick-built Rancors over the years, and they all tend to be huge and use several very advanced building techniques. Neither would have worked very well for a set like this which is aimed at TLG's core audience of children who lack any exceptional amount of building experience. We mustn't forget that to many young builders, even the most basic SNOT techniques aren't all that intuitive and they expect their models to use primarily studs-up building. TLG designs many of their sets, especially licensed sets, to provide a moderate degree of building challenge, but with a successful theme like LEGO Star Wars they can't afford to give the sets the same complexity as AFOL MOCs. To do so would require a higher median age range, to say nothing of price.

Edited by Aanchir