Well, Well. This is interesting. Brickshelf member tkel recently built a fully waterproof ROV.

allinthebag.jpg

It's fairly large, but it has a very interesting method of keeping everything dry. :cry_happy:

allinthebag3.jpg

This is the power module. It contains both motors, the battery box, and the reciever, all in a bag. (hence the name. :tongue: )

For more pictures, visit the gallery.

You just gotta love magnetic propulsion.

Very very creative design. I wonder what spacing he has between the two sets of magnets -one stud? two? and how well does it perform?

If I had more magnets I would definitely build one of these. Hopefully tekl will make a video of it running underwater.

The next problem with underwater lego RC's is that of range.. don't want to lose your submersible default_tong.gif

I really want to see a video of this in action. I know that a lot of technic propellers aren't so useful for underwater operation as they aren't very efficient. I would be interested to see how the drivetrain works.

How does this magnetic propulsion work?

Very good ways of solving problems.

Clever solution to a wet problem. :thumbup:

I believe the magnets in the bag move the magnets outside of the bag using a magnetic field.

Clever solution to a wet problem. :thumbup:

I believe the magnets in the bag move the magnets outside of the bag using a magnetic field.

Looks like that form the pics, I wonder how often, if at all the bag gets tangled in the spinning magnetic drive

Now I understand how the magnetic drive works. That is one ingenious solution! I wish I had some of that creativity :wink: .

tim

I wish I had some of that creativity :wink: .

tim

You would still be a rubbish alright builder.:laugh:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

You would still be a rubbish builder.:laugh:

Now that's not nice. :tongue:

Video:

Let's hope xe posts the water test soon, that should be pretty cool.

Thank´s to all,

Here is my first test in water, it wasn´t what i expected but i´m learning with my mistakes.

Sorry it´s a little blury in the beginning.

Biggest problem i have it´s: the bag make it float to much and the propeller aren´t the best ones.

I already tried to get out all the air, but the power module air volume it´s still to big.

I have to find a new and more compact solution for the power module.

Not sure how much power you'll get out of it.. but just thinking that this old power pack:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4760

might be the one with the 'least amount of air volume inside'... since it's a square battery in a square box

other ideas, might be to fill the gaps around the battery cells in the PF packs, with plasticine, or something? Might add a bit of weight, as well as decreasing the volume of non-suckable air! :D

RB

would it be possible to add those lego ballast bricks to the model? to get it to be neutral boyant?

for a quick test you could add more weight, this will counter the buoyancy provided by the bag for now, until you are able to reduce the volume of air it holds.