Sign in to follow this  
lotryay

Who buys whole sets for figs

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum- Who buys sets for parts, and not for the figs at all?

That's a lot more common, and it's me every time I buy a Friends set. Great parts, hate the minidolls!

EDIT: A bit of spelling and grammar.

I have definitely done both ends of the spectrums. everytime i look at a set, i always look out for parts that i can use or minifigs which are useful or i like/need.

in the end, the actual set never gets built as the parts are used elsewhere.

I buy sets for the figures quite often. That isn't my sole factor in purchasing, but it is a strong factor. Like others, I will look at the figure list and the piece list and see if it is worth it in the end. Big Cam had a great example for Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout. The exact same reason I purchased it was because Hulk was going for around $25, and Thor was around $12 (without shipping, mind you), so for not much more I could just get the complete set. Plus, at that time I wanted the mini-Hulk as well so it all worked out. Typically if you look at the figure prices and then the set prices, it isn't that much more to just get the set. I had no interest in the minifig line-up for the Quinjet and the set itself wouldn't be on display, so I passed. Black Widow isn't that impressive and Iron Man variant isn't that big of a deal for me. So, if I absolutely wanted/needed those two figures, that is one case where I would just bricklink the figures. The next example for me was The Batcave. I didn't particularly care for the set, even though I love Batman. I got Batman/Robin in the Funhouse set and did not care for the Bruce Wayne figure, so I need Poison Ivy and Bane, but I'm not going to spend money on the whole set for 2 repeats and 1 unneeded figure. But on the flipside, the new Palpatine's Arrest set will be great since I will need 5 of the 6 figures, so the overall cost won't be that much more than buying each one individually. Most of the time, figures end up being $6-10 (or more), so after adding it all up, it is worth it to me to just buy the set. But I do need a small push for the pieces as well. Extra pieces are always great and hopefully the set has some that I could use in a MOC.

Unless the individual figure prices ever plummeted, I highly doubt I will ever change my practice of getting the full set instead of just the figure. I'd rather pay for the extra pieces/figures in the set (and support TLG directly) than save a few dollars from Bricklink.

I admit that the figures help when choosing a set but if I am going to have to buy a set mainly for figs then I wont pay the full price. I will try to use VIP points or wait for a sale.

I dont get this "minifig trend" all of a sudden LEGO is more about tiny figures than it is to actually build stuff :sceptic:

I buy sets for parts, I could not care less about the minifigs...

I often buy sets for the figures.

I currently do not have much space to constuct / display the actual sets, so I primarily focus on the figures. Even though I find many of the sets over-priced I would rather buy the sets than to pay the prices on ebay for the individual figures (which often times can rival the cost of the actual sets). Maybe someday in my retirement I will be able to work on the constuction my collection. lol

I dont get this "minifig trend" all of a sudden LEGO is more about tiny figures than it is to actually build stuff :sceptic:

I buy sets for parts, I could not care less about the minifigs...

In my case, i'm finding a lot of individual minifigures(mainly ones i make from parts online and certain CMF) and individual lego parts to be way more interesting then the sets that have been coming out lately. Plus lego minifigures take up way less space then lego sets and can easily be stored in a drawer.

I usually don't buy sets just for the minifigures, but they do add a lot of value to sets for me. So much even that they can persuade me into buying a set that I think is mediocre if not for the minifigures.

Also if the minifigures are unusually cool or rare I will buy a set for the minifigures. Although the rest of the set has to appeal to me either in build or parts. I recently bought the PotC london escape mainly for the minifigures (wanted a jack sparrow with hat and more soldiers), but refrained from the harry potter battle for hogwarts set even though the minifigures are pretty cool/rare. My decision was based on the fact that the PotC set has some decent spare parts I can use while the HP set has lots of large pieces and won't add many spare parts I want.

I usually don't buy sets just for the minifigures, but they do add a lot of value to sets for me. So much even that they can persuade me into buying a set that I think is mediocre if not for the minifigures.

Also if the minifigures are unusually cool or rare I will buy a set for the minifigures. Although the rest of the set has to appeal to me either in build or parts. I recently bought the PotC london escape mainly for the minifigures (wanted a jack sparrow with hat and more soldiers), but refrained from the harry potter battle for hogwarts set even though the minifigures are pretty cool/rare. My decision was based on the fact that the PotC set has some decent spare parts I can use while the HP set has lots of large pieces and won't add many spare parts I want.

I try to buy the sets just for the whole package. I want it all. Its hard for me to part with any minifigs.. though i've been thinking about selling my Doc Oc, Batman and twoface.

If the price is too good to pass up, I'd get the set plus the minifigures. But likely I will only purchase the minifigures.

A little-bit off topic, but it gets difficult to buy minifigures which have plenty of accessories (LOTR) through Bricklink. The accessories are at times separate from the minifigs, and the Wanted List option is an effort to use when combining minifigs+accessories. Any tips from BL users on how to purchase figures with complete accessories?

I never buy a set to get a minifig and then toss out the rest of the set (or sell or whatever). However, I will buy a set specifcally because it has figures (well torsos) I want/like and then put all the rest of the parts in my collection. I know everything is useful eventually anyway and would rather not pay 50% or more the cost of the set just for the minifig on Bricklink.

If the price is too good to pass up, I'd get the set plus the minifigures. But likely I will only purchase the minifigures.

A little-bit off topic, but it gets difficult to buy minifigures which have plenty of accessories (LOTR) through Bricklink. The accessories are at times separate from the minifigs, and the Wanted List option is an effort to use when combining minifigs+accessories. Any tips from BL users on how to purchase figures with complete accessories?

I usually just get emailed (ie, I sell the figs, but don't list the accessories, but people will email me requesting the accessories). So, I would email the seller. S/He might give you a deal.

Of coarse I got sets when I was a kid. But, when I became a young AFOL about three or two years ago I did buy sets for mini-figures. Examples of sets I got: Lego Knights Kingdom 2 Vladek's Dark Fortress ( got it for all the knights), Lego Castle King's Castle Siege (for all the king and soldiers), 6x Lego Pirates Cannon Battle( for the redcoats), and Lego Pirates Soldier's Fort (for the admiral and soldier) . However, I stopped that unhealthy practice about a year ago. :wink:

I mostly buy the sets for the pieces and sell off the minifigs on ebay to help defray the cost of the sets. If I really like both the sets and minifigs such as the LotR sets, I will buy two sets and sell off the duplicate minifigs. Most of the time if someone would email and ask about the accessories I would sell those too. With the HP sets, I kept all the dementors but I didn't need duplicates of most of the minifigs. I sell off all the Star War minifigs. I often like buying 2 of the same set (when I can afford it). I build the first one using the instructions and the second one using the first set as a model. Or I use the extra pieces to expand the first set. I'm trying to learn to be more creative. I would much rather buy an entire second set and sell the minifigs than to just buy the set minus the minifigs because - yes - it is much cheaper for me that way.

I, as a HUGE Lego fan have always( mostly ) bought Lego for figs or rare parts. Then that changed when they made the prices of Lego more expensive.

I have almost no interest in lotr, but I bought 3 helm's deep because i love the build techniques and parts. This is my first time ever buying a set and not wanting the figs and i guess its due to no castle line-up this year so lotr and monsters castles will have to do. I will just trade all the lotr figs away for castle knights.

Uh...what about 10188 Death Star? I don't believe that anyone bought that for the pieces, (although they are great) but for the 24 minifigs! At least, I did. I usually buy the sets for the figs, but Lego is getting so much better at their sets that I'm enjoying the content of the set almost as much as the minifigs.

Would reselling the pieces equal, closely equal, the amount of buying just the figures? I just started buying sets for the minis and am going to open shop on BL. I thought about getting a Death Star but most of the figs don't look to be too expensive.

I have always found it complimentary and that is probably because Star Wars is the only licensed theme I like and I don't even buy much (or any anymore) of that.

Normally the reason I am interested in the figures is similar to why I would like the set as a whole. I like the Soldiers from the pirate theme and so I I am interested in any set where they appear and so like the idea of Forts, Docks etc....

I'm not usually that into the mini-figure scene but I _did_ pick up a spare copy of MMV mostly for the cows.

The medieval market village is a great set in general, but the cows were really the tipping point (no cow tipping puns intended) for me.