wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

It's just something that I have noticed over the years is that the quality of products at Walmart is almost always less than getting the same brand products from elsewhere. Also I was unaware that Lego had a manufacturing facility in the US still. I thought that they had moved all of that to Mexico?

I really have to question this. Honestly I notice nothing different from products I buy from Walmart and anywhere else. I'm pretty sure this is just a psychological issue for yourself. You see things from Walmart as "cheap and low quality" so when you go to buy something from there you already have that mind set when observing the item. It's really probably just your own bias affecting your judgement.

Well, despite my decision to try not to buy these sets, I'm going to have to get them! The figs are great, easily the best fleshies ever made. The sets are pretty awesome too. I was going to avoid these sets because I knew I'd spend too much, but as a big LOTR fan I have to buy them.

I know this is better suited for the "What should I buy?" topic, but I'd like the opinion of bigger LOTR fans instead, so: What should I buy first? Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks, or Uruk-Hai Army? Thanks!

Well, despite my decision to try not to buy these sets, I'm going to have to get them! The figs are great,

Edited by Fives

There's no difference in sets bought from one store to the next. It would be a logistical nightmare if Lego had to keep track of varing qualities of product going to different stores. Now the box gloss could be just an error, but not large enough to represent a trend or confirmed issue (unless other people from other locations also confirm the gloss).

As for what's coming up next, is it possible Lego is just holding more news till SDCC? It's that time of year for alot of companies where news is spotty till SDCC and then we get flooded.

Well, despite my decision to try not to buy these sets, I'm going to have to get them! The figs are great, easily the best fleshies ever made. The sets are pretty awesome too. I was going to avoid these sets because I knew I'd spend too much, but as a big LOTR fan I have to buy them.

I know this is better suited for the "What should I buy?" topic, but I'd like the opinion of bigger LOTR fans instead, so: What should I buy first? Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks, or Uruk-Hai Army? Thanks!

Sorry, for some reason my last reply got messed up. I think you should go for Gandalf Arrives and Shelob Attacks. With these two sets, ou get four of the most important LOTR characters, and Shelob is awesome. The Uruk set is cool, but it looks kinda wierd without Helm's Deep. Unless you want to start army building right away, go for Gandalf and Shelob.

Shelob Attacks is probably the most accurate, and it comes with two exclusive characters, three rings, and two stings. Gandalf Arrives is very iconic, but is a very plain set, just the wagon, the new horse, Gandalf and "carefree" Frodo. As for Uruk-Hai Army, I haven't picked that up yet, but other than the exclusive Eomer fig, it seems like an expensive battle pack. Anyway, I think it all comes down to personal preference, if love the battle of Helm's Deep in the movies and books, then get Uruk-Hai Army, if you love Gandalf get Gandalf Arrives, if you love Smeagol and Sam, get Shelob Attacks. Hope this helps.

I know that this probably doesn't belong here, but after watching Return of the King last night, the Shelob scene has me wondering: How does Shelob's stinger break through Frodo's mithril, while leaving it unscathed in appearance?

I know that this probably doesn't belong here, but after watching Return of the King last night, the Shelob scene has me wondering: How does Shelob's stinger break through Frodo's mithril, while leaving it unscathed in appearance?

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that Shelob is a descendant of Ungoliant, the first giant spider who served Morgoth and was a demon, much like the Balrogs. Unless this has been disproven, that's my best guess.

Just saw some lotr at target! They had weathertop, and shelob out with tags for all the rest. Was unopened cases still sitting out too. Also had monster fighters.

For Canadian residents:

I'm not sure if Toys R Us Canada (online) will honor this, but they got the price of Helm's Deep and Weathertop switched up (Helm's Deep listed at $79.99 and Weathertop at $179.99). I was able to place an order for Helm's Deep even though it's in Backorder. Whether this gets shipped to me or not is anybody's guess.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12833061

I don't even know if I should be posting this in the deals forum instead, because I don't really know if the deal is good or not. Just a heads up.

An update to this:

Those who placed an order probably got your cancellation emails already. They did offer a code for $45 off Helm's Deep, which will end up $5 more than the US MSRP for the set. The code expires 9/1, so I still have time to decide whether I really still want to get the set or just hit up Bricklink to get Theoden and Haldir (+ their accessories).

An update to this:

Those who placed an order probably got your cancellation emails already. They did offer a code for $45 off Helm's Deep, which will end up $5 more than the US MSRP for the set. The code expires 9/1, so I still have time to decide whether I really still want to get the set or just hit up Bricklink to get Theoden and Haldir (+ their accessories).

Good Grief. That is one crazy mark up. 130 USD to 180 USD? Toys R us does do some ridiculous mark ups but...

Good Grief. That is one crazy mark up. 130 USD to 180 USD? Toys R us does do some ridiculous mark ups but...

Sorry, not TRU in the States. I'm in Canada. The MSRP for Helm's Deep here is 170 CAD (which is around 40 USD over the US MSRP since the dollar is near par right now), and it's selling for 180 CAD at TRU.

Edited by pong0814

An update to this:

They didn't send me any emails yet. Went to Toysrus.ca with both my order numbers, and they are still active, in pre-order status.

And if they do, whether or not they send me a rebate is irrelevant. I'll buy it from them, then sue them for the difference using a formal consumer protection office complaint form.

Did you bother to call your province's consumer protection office? Unless they genuinely run out of these sets, cancelling these perfectly valid orders is actually ILLEGAL! Them making a mistake DOES NOT give them the right to go back on their announced price.

Sorry if I seem grumpy. I'm very aggressive when it comes with big companies who take advantage of the little guy. Especially if my money is involved.

Edited by SheepEater

Also I was unaware that Lego had a manufacturing facility in the US still. I thought that they had moved all of that to Mexico?

They did, but the shipping was moved to Minnesota. Look at your shipping label next time you receive an order from the site. It will say MN. I miss the days when it said Enfield, CT. :(

-Omi

My Gandalf Arrives, Shelob Attacks and Uruk-Hai Army sets arrived from America today, and I can finally join in heaping on the praise for these sets! Of the three, build-wise my favourite is probably the Uruk-Hai Army set, but looks wise it's probably Shelob attacks, just because of the articulation of Shelob. She's currently positioned in my cabinet crawling down the wall with Sam and Frodo looking on in fear. I adore the new horses, too. I'm having to sit on my hands to stop myself ordering Weathertop and the Orc Forge now...

Helm's deep and Shelob both have animations on the website! I have to say, Gollum's animation is pretty cool. Very film-like.

Helm's Deep animation is HILARIOUS!

One lone Uruk Hai knocks on the gate with his sword and has to take on Aragorn, Gimli and Theoden all on his own. That's one courageous orc. :tongue:

The wall explodes in an avalanche of bricks, and the berserker uruk hai doesn't die, he's just slightly knocked back from the explosion and ready to go again. :laugh:

Lego have a way to transform very serious and intense scenes into adorable cartoon violence. :laugh:

I just noticed that when you click on Shelob's designer video it shows Weathertop's video :thumbdown:

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

I know, but there is still a way to see Shelob's designer video, Click on Products, click on Shelob Attacks, the video on the bottom of the screen will be the correct one.

Week ago I bought "Gandalf arrives". This set is great, minifigures of Frodo and Gandalf are cool! Everybody must buy it! :thumbup:

Everybody must buy it! :thumbup:

winning attitude :laugh::thumbup:

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Folks, Barnes & Noble is running a great deal on three of the LOTR sets right now. I scored Weathertop for $41 shipped including taxes. I found the deal on a great Lego website called Toys N Bricks (not to take anything away from our beloved Eurobricks) which does an excellent job of highlighting Lego deals. Here is their breakdown of the sales.

Basically, Barnes & Nobles (a US retailer that ships worldwide at very reasonable rates) has 10% off three of the Lord of the Rings sets. Weathertop is the best deal at the moment as that set has been reduced by $10 to begin with already.

While the prices are nice with the small discount, it gets even better once you add coupon codes in. The only con is that you will need to place separate orders if ordering multiple sets as the codes only work on 1 item. Below are 8 coupon codes by forum members.

15% off Non-Member Codes: T4T8J4A, X4P8A3B, T4T8J4A, D7L8F8R (VISA)

20% off Member Codes L4L8R9C, B7D9E9W, V9N8W8R, H4V4K8D

Here’s the math and the price breakdown for members and non-members just so you can get an idea of how good of a deal your getting. Membership can be signed up for $25 a year. All prices are in USD.

Non-Member Prices After Coupon Applied

36.3% off – Attack on Weathertop $38.21 (reg.$59.99)

23.6% off – Battle of Helm’s Deep $99.41 (reg.$129.99)

23.56% off – Mines of Moria $61.16 (reg.$79.99)

Member Price After Coupon Applied

40% off – Attack on Weathertop $35.96 (reg.$59.99)

28% off – Battle of Helm’s Deep $93.56 (reg.$129.99)

28.05% off – Mines of Moria $57.56 (reg.$79.99)

BN Shipping Charges

United States (Non-Members): FREE Shipping on orders above $25

United States (Members): Free Express Shipping with no minimum

Canada: First Item $6.48, Additional Items $2.49 each

International: First Item $12.98, Additional Items $5.49 each

They also have great stuff that are discounted already like Superheroes The Batcave for $62.95 (reg.$69.99) and Batwing over Gotham City for $26.95 (reg.$34.99). More can be found on their LEGO Bestsellers List. Now do the math for yourself after applying the extra 15-20% off coupons!

Hit em up quick folks! Deals this good can't last. And of course all credit goes to Toys N Bricks! http://toysnbricks.com/

P.S. It would be great if folks could give us the heads-up on any LOTR sales they find here in this thread! I know we have a sales thread, but sometimes it is lacking a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up! I just ordered them and will take back my Wal-Mart purchases today. I will save over $70! Thanks to toysnbricks and djmangunz and barnes and noble for this great deal! :thumbup:

I think I'll actually be able to get Weathertop with that deal. :wub: Thanks!

Wow! Thanks for that! I just ordered Helm's Deep for that great price! Hopefully it works. Weren't there some SW sets discounted from BN awhile ago that folks had trouble with getting the orders filled?

I just finished building Moria and now have a complete Fellowship! I think I'm going to put the Moria pieces on a grey baseplate, like someone else mentioned.