WesternOutlaw

Fright Knights Theme

Great question. I always wonder this myself. I think it's a combination of very bad designers and cost avoidance.

An answer could : someone entered TLC HQ and said "hey did you see the money some companies get out of fantasy based themes ! Look at the games workshop warhammer dudes !". And they wanted to do the same. Sadly they couldn't.

I think cost avoidance is obvious, the massive use of burps is bad on small models (while they do look great for massive dioramas)., but it fills 3X8 studs easely.

Bad design is a generic statement for all the sets deisgned those years. It do looks like if they hired someone from ikea who forced them to do squared stuff.

For me, 1997 is when LEGO changed its entire style. In 1997, it was the last of the cool displays Lego used to have in Catalogs (where they would show all the sets in a lego/paper mache world), the quality in sets declined (as seen by the terrifying town, pirate, and castle sets released (Although the Imperial Armada sets, some of which released in 1996 I believe, were showing decline.) For example

Old Style

New Style

I understand what you're saying and agree with the decline in quality, but I don't think this a is a fair comparison. Fright Knights isn't City and displays will be much different than classic City.

I understand what you're saying and agree with the decline in quality, but I don't think this a is a fair comparison. Fright Knights isn't City and displays will be much different than classic City.

Yes. Fair enough. I will edit it now to compare 2 castle displays then.

This year also coincided with the first line produced entirely by the new generation of the Lego family (from memory).
hmmm... this is very interesting to me Norro. i am very interested in who the designers are/were (and for what themes they designed for). as there are obvious themes that have great years... i wonder if the "best" designers rotated themes. and likewise, if some designers/designing teams just dropped.

for example, i wonder if the designers of the wild west 96 line went on to develop other well designed themes... ninja, adventurers 98, etc. or if they were the same team that designed earlier pirates...

also, very curious to me... were the developers of the wild west 96 line the same designers the 97 line. as the styles and quality of the two years are drastically different.

--------------------------------------------------

is there somewhere this information is available ??? you seem to hint at its existence 8-

Yes. Fair enough. I will edit it now to compare 2 castle displays then.

The first image is awesome! I don't remember seeing images like this in catalogues. Must have been during my dark ages. I'm having a problem viewing the 2nd image, however.

For me, 1997 is when LEGO changed its entire style. In 1997, it was the last of the cool displays Lego used to have in Catalogs (where they would show all the sets in a lego/paper mache world...
ah, i didn't have time to comprehend your post the first time i read it, sting... but now that i have more time, i know exactly what you are talking about.... and yes, i couldn't agree more...

those set collage images were so cool, and each theme had one !!! i remember flipping through the catalogs and doing a "where's waldo" kind of thing with the detailed imagery. i even enjoyed the catalog images to themes i didn't collect, like town. some of those racer displays were really involved.

then in 97 we got individual set photos and no kind of massive awe-inspiring collage... really a let down. those pirate and castle displays were really inspiring... at least i got a couple WW collage image from 96 (two that i know of).

wild west catalog collage image

- BrickMiner

The Wild West one was one of the best! And I agree, that all the displays were cool. Although back in the days of those displays I collected almost every theme (surprisingly, Pirates, my current favourite, I had the LEAST sets of). I wish Lego could start doing this again but it is probably much easier to put the sets onto a computerized background. Fright Knights was one of the first themes to do this.

The Fright Knights overall were not nearly as bad as the Knights Kingdom Themes, and they had lots of potential (I loved the French/Gothic influence in the Torsos and this COULD have been extended into the Architechture but they obviously decided to make it more just ridiculous (as seen in the jambling tower of the 6097).

Even that wild west collage hardly measures up to some of the castle/space/town/pirate ones. I'd love to have some poster size copies of those to frame and hang up in my Lego room for inspiration.

Steve

Even that wild west collage hardly measures up to some of the castle/space/town/pirate ones. I'd love to have some poster size copies of those to frame and hang up in my Lego room for inspiration.
there is a better collage, i just couldn't find it on peeron, it might be there... im just not familar with the site too much... nonetheless, i agree... pirates and castle had some just-plain-awesome scenes !!!

i think the imperials vs. the pirates were the best collages ever (1992 version). islanders in 94 was good too, and i remember a wolfpack one that was just outragous !!!

--------------------------------------------------

sorry, im so off-topic with this... i've just not seen a discussion on the catalog change before ;-) and im excited to get this off my chest !!! ;-)

- BrickMiner

sorry, im so off-topic with this... i've just not seen a discussion on the catalog change before ;-) and im excited to get this off my chest !!! ;-)

- BrickMiner

I think that a collage of a theme in the catalog makes the children wanted all the sets to recreate this collage at home. It worked on me, even if I never bought all the sets of a line. But those collages give me some ideas and put me in a track on how to make my town (I know, it's off-topic too) to have the lego spirit... And this fealling could be applying in all theme I think.

I agree. I purchased many City sets over the years because of awesome catalogue images of combined sets and Lego additions to themes. This should almost be another discussion as the subject at hand is more related to how you feel about the Fright Knight Theme.

The old magazines, definately attracted me towards one of each set (and across theme boundaries). When I looked at the 97 catalogue I also knew something was gone... As to set designers, I can't think of an example off hand but I have often felt that during the early 90s you could pick up a set in one theme and be reminded so strongly of another set in another theme, that they were done by the same person, just a personal thought...

God Bless,

Nathan

The Fright Knights arrived, perhaps appropriately, during my Dark Ages, so I have only the pictures in old catalogues to go on. But for what it's worth, I think the line is massively underrated. I can understand the frustration of those who would have preferred historically accurate sets to a line rooted in fantasy, but I enjoy both types of sets. It's also true that the line was let down by poor set designs. Had the Fright Knights arrived a decade earlier, there would surely be nothing to touch them. But all that apart, the line has much to recommend it. I love those bat helmets and the stylish coat of arms on the Fright Knights' shields, and if Lego hadn't introduced witches, we would surely be asking when the company would do so. Generally though, I like the idea of being able to build an army of darkness and creepy castles in Lego. The Fright Knights dovetail well with the horror sets from the Studios theme, another line whose set designs are hit and miss, but with fantastic minifigs and parts. When Lego makes generic evil minifigs, like Capn Redbeard or the witches, I love the way all the cliches get thrown into the pot. Pointy black hat? Check. Broomstick? Check. Spider patterned cape? Yep, got that. So next time I shop on Bricklink, I think I'll be looking for some Fright Knights!

I love those bat helmets and the stylish coat of arms on the Fright Knights' shields, and if Lego hadn't introduced witches, we would surely be asking when the company would do so. Generally though, I like the idea of being able to build an army of darkness and creepy castles in Lego.

I agree with you 100%. This theme did offer some very nice elements (some pictured on page one). I esp. like the shields and the witch. I really regret not picking up a set or two when the sets were on deep discount/clearance.

There aren't many people who like the bat helmates... especially in quantity X-D

God Bless,

Nathan

Yes thanks, they make me want all that pure grey...

God Bless,

Nathan

ah, i didn't have time to comprehend your post the first time i read it, sting... but now that i have more time, i know exactly what you are talking about.... and yes, i couldn't agree more...

those set collage images were so cool, and each theme had one !!! i remember flipping through the catalogs and doing a "where's waldo" kind of thing with the detailed imagery. i even enjoyed the catalog images to themes i didn't collect, like town. some of those racer displays were really involved.

then in 97 we got individual set photos and no kind of massive awe-inspiring collage... really a let down. those pirate and castle displays were really inspiring... at least i got a couple WW collage image from 96 (two that i know of).

wild west catalog collage image

- BrickMiner

I just wanted to say i totally had the same thing. I was really disapointed when the catalog of '97 came out. I really liked the pictures in the old catalogs. I could stare at these compositions for many hours (i still can).This was one of the reasons i quit playing/building lego....the years between '97 and 2005 i missed since i picked up lego again just last year.

I also want to say i would only buy sets like 6097 for the different bricks/pieces and minifigs. I totally dont like the castle designs. They are to simple and seem rushed in designing.

The thing I like in the 6097 castle design is that we have a peripheric wall and a platform on top of big arches (I don't know if the words are correct). It would be better with a more beautiful tower and a more finished design...

While I'm a big fan of Basil the Batlord (whom I have not seen in a long time. Please don't tell me I've lost him! :pir_bawling: ), the Fright Knights sub-theme didn't have the best of sets (though, I do recommend 6047 Traitor Transport as it is actually an amazing set).

Overall, it was a great concept, and it had the some of the best Castle minifigs ever, and not to mention the oh-so-awesome bat shield, but in the end, the sets failed in terms of design.

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard

I own most of the sets myself, but I dont find em interesting that much. I do look, the witch, the black dragon, and lord bat's hat. Thats about it. Therefore I use those pieces with Lord Bat being an evil army general.

I'm a big fan of the Fright Knights. I love the bat symbol shield. I love the witch. I love the winged helmets. I think these would be the perfect idea to bring back during these Castle years... Have them fight on the side of "evil". Alongside the skellies and trolls as hired killers.

That's a very interesting topic, TheBrichster! :thumbup:

Unlike the most of opinions shown here I really liked this theme. :wub:

Although I'm really not a very big fantasy fan (I didn't like KK 1, KK 2 was even worse and I really hate the new "Castle" theme since 2007 since it is :sick: ) the Fright Knights Theme was and still is one of my favourite Castle themes.

For me this theme offered that much fantasy which is agreeable for a castle theme - a witch, some dragons and some mysterious knights - since when there would be Castle completely without fantasy it would imo leave its charm. I luckily own some of these sets - but regrettably not the awesome Night Lord's Castle, the Witch's Balloon and all that nice little sets.

The Night Lord's Castle is (although I regrettably don't own it until now) one of my favourite castles. There are so many minifigs included in this set and in principle everything which is need for caslte of the bad guys is included: the prison, the throne room and the witch's laboratory. Of course these Fright Knights sets can't compete against sets like the awesome 10193 Medieval Market Village or the Lion King's Castle (from 1995). But that's imo even not the question.

I don't say that these theme only offered good sets. E. g. the Witch's Balloon (or how it is called) was :sceptic: . But all in all it was a great theme! :thumbup:

For me the source of all bad Castle or "Castle" sets (how your point of view is) began with KK 1.

Btw: Why didn't you add a poll about whether people liked this theme or not to your topic?! :wink:

Klaus-Dieter