Not exactly the first Technic Excavator MOC, but it is one of the few Orange Excavators in Lego Technic land. The orange parts from the 8110 Unimog were a great help in designing this model. The experience I got while creating the Ultimate 8043-MOD was also very usefull. This MOC features:

• Full remote controll with dual-joystick controll
  • All functions can work simultaiously
  • Full 360+ rotation, no wires going through the turntable
  • Realistic range for boom, dipper and bucket
  • Pendular suspension
  • Easy access to batterybox for switching on/off and recharging
  • PF-lights

Obviously this model is similar to the famous Lego® 8043 Motorized excavator. There are quite some differences though. In this MOC, all 6 motorized functions can work simultaniously, just like in the Ultimate 8043. Pendular suspension was added as well.

Boom

The motors for operating the dipper and bucket were placed inside the digging arm. This has 2 advantages: it keeps all the drivetrains really short, making them more efficient. And placing the bucket-motor inside the dipper made it possible to give the dipper a large operating range. There are no gears or u-joints going through the rotation point.

And much attention was oaid to the working-ranges of the boom, dipper and bucket, resulting in a more realistic performance and a more capable digging machine.

Wedge-plates were used to cover the boom, giving it that “closed”-look. But I noticed that those plates give the boom extra stiffness

Chassis

Like the 8043, this model uses the “2 drivetrains through 1 turntable” principle. The chassis has all the gear-reduction (1:15 total gearing) reducing the side-effects during upperstructure rotation.

The chassis has a simple pendular suspension system without shock-absorbers.

Upperstructure

Here are the motors for driving (M), rotating (M) and boom-lifting (XL). It also has the battery-box. I use the 8878 rechargeable battery, but the model can be easily modified to use the standard batterybox. There’s also a batterybox which uses AAA-batteries, which is exactly as big as the 8878 making it a good and cheap alternative to the 8878.

And it’s ORANGE !!! I love the model in this colour. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough orange bricks to make the boom in orange as well.

Insructions

Detailed building instructions are available, the best instructions I’ve made so far. But in contrast to my previous instructions, I’m not providing the instructions for free. They are for sale for € 10 (or $ 12 for people in the States). Making the instructions takes so much time (I spent 100+ hours making them), time I can’t use for building models. Besides that, I feel that the instructions I make are of high quality, which is worth something.

If you’re interested in buying the instructions, please send an email to info@jurgenstechniccorner.com

m5110153_800x600.jpg

m5110166_800x600.jpg

m5110168_800x600.jpg

m5110162_800x600.jpg

revolve.gif

Wow, this is very nice! :cry_happy: I'm sending you my e-mail for the Building Instructions now!

Blakbird has done excellent renderings of the Zorex 220, and posted them on his Brickshelf gallery.

zorex-220-1.jpg

I think i will buy the instrutions as well,If its alright with you i might use this model as my second model to display at the afol event in Manchester,as i will not have time to build my roto.Of course you will see a few mods done to it.

@ Alasdair Ryan:

Thats fine with me. I'm curious to see what MOD's you will give it. Will you show them when they're ready ?

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

It is saying that the parts file is corrupt (bsx file) Could you send me a new copy of the file?

Just to check i can use this as a xml file?:classic:

Another great MOC by you. I really love the high range movement of the arm.

I have got the file to open but when i past it into bricklink is says that it was the wrong file format,any ideas?:sceptic:

I just checked the bsx-file and ther were 2 parts that weren't recognized by Bricklink, being:

2 x Axle 8 withy stop (DBG) http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3707

3 x Pin double with axlehole (black) http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=32138

I've removed those 2 parts from the bsx-file and attached the corrected file to this post. If it still doesn't work, just let me know.

I hope to have the parts list on Rebrickable soon, I've already sent the request.

I have removed those parts above but it is still saying 'invalid file format'.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I liked this so much that I changed my desktop background from the 8275 Motorized Bulldozer to this!

I just checked the bsx-file and ther were 2 parts that weren't recognized by Bricklink, being:

2 x Axle 8 withy stop (DBG) http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=3707

3 x Pin double with axlehole (black) http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=32138

I've removed those 2 parts from the bsx-file and attached the corrected file to this post. If it still doesn't work, just let me know.

I hope to have the parts list on Rebrickable soon, I've already sent the request.

I noticed the same thing. That just happened because you did not have the current version of the Bricklink database in Brickstore. There were a couple of other small errors (colors or part variations that did not exist) in the Brickstore parts list file which I've corrected. Jurgen, I will send you the corrected file and you can use it as you see fit.

By the way, I'd like to add to the chorus of appreciation for this excellent model. Very well done indeed.

I have removed those parts above but it is still saying 'invalid file format'.

Sounds like you are trying to just open the file. You need to have the Brickstore application installed and use that. It will show you the whole parts list. You can export from Brickstore to make a Bricklink wanted list. The BSX file itself is useless with Bricklink.

Thanks, Blakbird !

To open the Brickstore XML-files, Brickstore-software is required. This can be downloaded at www.brickforge.de . This program makes it easy to find the required parts at Bricklink.

http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/

In Brickstore, there is an option “Export List XML to clipboard”. Use it after loading the parts-list file and press OK. Then the Bricklink site opens on the "Wanted list Mass Upload page". Paste the wanted list to the entry field (Ctrl + V) and press "verify items". Scroll down and press "Upload file" and then "view your updated wanted list"

If you go to the (next) tab "By shop" you can see which shop have how many of the parts you need.

i was super impressed when i saw the renders on Brickshelf. i love the orange colors! overall i am really impressed. Are you going to make a video?

tim

Good te read that it works now. I've created a new zip file with the corrected parts-list file and uploaded it.

@ timr: Did you miss the video at the beginning of the first post ?

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

@ timr: Did you miss the video at the beginning of the first post ?

Wow this is really embarrassing :blush::look: .

Anyway, i love the functions of the excavator, they all work so well! Are you planning any attachments?

tim

Wow this is really embarrassing :blush::look: .

:laugh: :laugh:

Are you planning any attachments?

He is going to leave that for me.:devil:

Jurgen Krooshoop's Lego Zorex 220 Motorized Excavator has been uploaded to TechnicMad's Rebrickable website. One can see the various parts needed; it joins his fantastic "Ultimate 8043" (one of the most popular MOCs on Rebrickable). I bought his Building Instructions, and they are very well done! :thumbup:

MOC-0168.jpgMOC-0080.jpg