I own 7 (though 2 are NIB) and I have never actually built either model. I have frequently told myself that I need to build it but for whatever reason I just can't find the time. I spend more time collecting and less time building. I figure by the time I am 60 and arthritic, I'll suddenly have the urge to build (and it will be too late).

Wat

Give me one, just so i can build it. I don't even have to own it. (maybe i will after building, but hey...)

Wat

Give me one, just so i can build it. I don't even have to own it. (maybe i will after building, but hey...)

same here please :cry_sad:

:laugh:

Edited by bb15080

tn_imag0221.jpg

This power cord goes on top of the "Light Gray Electric, Fiber Optics Element" in the back.

tn_imag0224.jpg

tn_imag0222.jpg

You can see where the 2x1 bricks with 16-tooth gears are placed in this picture. Two white inverted slopes are also added further to left.

tn_imag0223.jpg

Now the opening roof, or bay doors for the shuttle's storage compartment is made. It consists of liftarms and 12 "White Technic, Axle 8"s. This is the only set it was used for, if you count out the R2-D2 from 2002.

tn_imag0226.jpg

tn_imag0227.jpg

These are symmetric, with color separated instructions spanning two sides in the manual. The building process is fairly repetitive and basic.

tn_imag0228.jpg

Here they are in place, along with some gears and frictionless pins:

tn_imag0229.jpg

tn_imag0230.jpg

I thought i had made a mistake when the 16T gears didn't align, but then I examined the next step:

This is divided into two parts, first we create an appropriate "spaced" battery box:

tn_imag0231.jpg

tn_imag0233.jpg

Then we use these parts to create this;

tn_imag0234.jpg

Now the gears align properly, allowing the bay doors to be raised simultaneously on both sides of the cargo area. If both doors are resting on the wings when you place this gear rack, you won't have to synchronize them like the flaps.

Here the battery box is in place:

tn_imag0236.jpg

6x 2 stud beams are used to hold the "axle and pin connector perpendiculars" on the cargo doors in place:

tn_imag0235.jpg

Next the knobs for controlling the PF unit is created. The white round 2x2 tiles were stickered by previous owner.

tn_imag0238.jpg

Here they are along with some rubber bands and a basic frame to the left:

tn_imag0239.jpg

Placed on the shuttle it looks like this:

tn_imag0240.jpg

The ON/OFF stickered one goes on the STARBOARD (right) side.

Next up is the engine transmission and changeplate. Again, rubber bands are used instead of clutch gears.

tn_imag0241.jpg

tn_imag0242.jpg

tn_imag0243.jpg

tn_imag0244.jpg

tn_imag0245.jpg

tn_imag0246.jpg

tn_imag0247.jpg

tn_imag0248.jpg

tn_imag0249.jpg

tn_imag0250.jpg

tn_imag0251.jpg

tn_imag0252.jpg

tn_imag0253.jpg

tn_imag0255.jpg

tn_imag0256.jpg

tn_imag0257.jpg

Now to build the changeplate:

tn_imag0258.jpg

tn_imag0259.jpg

tn_imag0260.jpg

Very nice. Here it is on top. These stickers are the ones applied in the next step.

tn_imag0261.jpg

The gearbox is installed, note that the third rubber band is fetched from an axle below.

tn_imag0262.jpg

Four vertical beams are added in the back. These will be used to carry the tailfin and some thrusters.

tn_imag0263.jpg

We've now reached step 30/40 for this set.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Now the cockpit seats are added. The piece on the right is a "Pole Reverser / Polarity Switch with Center Part", which allows you to operate the battery box attachments remotely, or from a different place. An "Black Electric, Plate 2 x 4 with Contacts" is placed across both switches, allowing them to be run by a single power cord.

tn_imag0264.jpg

You've better not sit here if you've got long hair. It might get caught in the rubber banded engine.

You can see the engine polarity switches in the back between the 4 beams.

tn_imag0265.jpg

Further forming of the nose reveals where the front windows are going to be.

tn_imag0266.jpg

tn_imag0268.jpg

tn_imag0269.jpg

Here you can see how high the actual nose gets, before the windows and roof are added.

tn_imag0270.jpg

These rubber bands are used later on to prevent the engine to continue running after you've let go of the knob.

The rocket engine is tilted into place, and locked by two long friction pins. The wires barely fits in there, so you've got to apply some pressure to insert the pins.

tn_imag0272.jpg

Creating the "Canadian arm" and a tailwing fundament next, using these pieces:

tn_imag0273.jpg

This technique was new to me: First, two beams are attached by a "Plate 1 x 5 with Toothed Ends, 2 Studs and Center Axle Hole". Then two 3 lenght axles are passed through to lock them into place. Nice and sturdy.

tn_imag0274.jpg

tn_imag0275.jpg

This is the roof of the engine compartment, with a tail wing to be added later:

tn_imag0276.jpg

tn_imag0278.jpg

Now the crane arm is in place. You can see the added roof in the back.

Some nice stickers for the minifigs to study:

tn_imag0279.jpg

The rear wing is built using the same technique as the crane arm:

tn_imag0284.jpg

Two axles locks it in position:

tn_imag0285.jpg

Here is the cockpit roof(without top plate), and the back rear wing piece.

tn_imag0287.jpg

In place:

tn_imag0290.jpg

tn_imag0291.jpg

Below the rear wing we can see the two rubber bands caught on two bushes on both sides. They cause the switches for the motor to realign in neutral position once the knob on either side has been released.

tn_imag0289.jpg

Next is adding boosters at both sides of the rear wing.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Ok, it´s a bit offtopic, but could you please explain the function of the Fiber Optics Element?

Is it just a chaser effect of one lighting source?

Ok, it´s a bit offtopic, but could you please explain the function of the Fiber Optics Element?

Is it just a chaser effect of one lighting source?

I think so. The unit is just one brick with an axle hole in the center. When the axle turns, it moves a thin plate covering 9 of the 10 holes in the brick. These holes are connected to the IR tubes(clear flex plastic ones).

Looks like this:

optics_element.gif

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Okay, booster racks next.

tn_imag0293.jpg

This form the booster racks, and the cocpit roof:

tn_imag0294.jpg

In place:

tn_imag0295.jpg

Now for the actual boosters:

tn_imag0297.jpg

tn_imag0298.jpg

tn_imag0299.jpg

tn_imag0300.jpg

tn_imag0301.jpg

Both:

tn_imag0302.jpg

tn_image302-2.jpg

Here they are in place. The light line connects, so they light up every once in a while.

The cocpit roof is also added:

tn_imag0296.jpg

Next is adding a satellite, and test if everything works.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Now the satellite is being build. The center rack first, then the wings.

tn_imag0303.jpg

tn_imag0305.jpg

tn_imag0307.jpg

tn_imag0308.jpg

tn_imag0309.jpg

The satellite arms:

tn_imag0310.jpg

tn_imag0311.jpg

tn_imag0312.jpg

The micro motor is placed:

tn_imag0313.jpg

tn_imag0314.jpg

Finished! Now the crew can finally watch those soap operas without any intereference.

tn_imag0315.jpg

tn_imag0316.jpg

Satellite attached with just a single 3/4 pin. Too bad if the satellite would crash before getting airtime.

Here is the whole thing with extended satellite arm:

tn_imag0317.jpg

Engine lights up if you use the motor. You can turn both knobs at the back simultaneously, since they run different motors and electric plates. You can also shift gears when the engine(s) running, because the initial rubber band clutch clutch will prevent any damage to the gears. I would love to implement this feature in my 8043 Motorized Excavator.

tn_imag0318.jpg

Bay doors closed. The shuttle looks very smooth.

tn_imag0319.jpg

Some landing gears are required to... you know... land.

tn_imag0320.jpg

tn_imag0321.jpg

tn_imag0322.jpg

Model with the landing gear raised. The front wing beams looks like a curve in the shadow.

tn_imag0323.jpg

These 3 axles with stud are here to prevent the landing gear from bottoming out. SO you could in theory drive with them retracted.

tn_imag0324.jpg

Leftovers. A changeover catch, two crankshafts, submarine claws. Added to inventory.

tn_imag0326.jpg

Finished!

tn_imag0327.jpg

Bay opened.

tn_imag0328.jpg

Raising satellite takes only a few seconds. You can see in the picture where the stick shift is.

tn_imag0329.jpg

Satellite fully raised. Sadly it only turns 180 degrees total, but this is 1996.

tn_imag0330.jpg

Satellite arms expanded.

tn_imag0332.jpg

The jet engine in action:

tn_imag0333.jpg

tn_imag0334.jpg

tn_imag0335.jpg

tn_imag0336.jpg

Here it is next to a 8258 Crane Truck, a pulley wheel and a standard minifig. It measures 64x48 studs.

tn_minifig_and_8258_comp.jpg

Thanks for watching. For more pics, check my brickshelf. LostInNoise (114973).

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

This old set is amazing, I didn´t have any idea of it I thought that a lego set in that style was no good, big error... I like to have one of this...

I just finished this set last night.

It was one of those iconic sets that I have been after for a very long time.

What I really like about this one is you are generally building something mechanical though out the entire build. I get frustrated with building asthetic parts as I enjoy the "Technical" aspects. :classic:

I think this set would have to be one of my favorites.

Thanks for the photo review of your build.

What can I say this should be on everyones wish list and I believe now that the shuttle has been retired these sets will become harder to get.

Jamie :classic:

P.S I had to add two Classic white space men in the flight station of mine, could not help myself.

Edited by PlaneCrazy

Wow i would love to have this set. It has so many functions. I will have to keep an eye out for a cheap one.

tim

Wow i would love to have this set. It has so many functions. I will have to keep an eye out for a cheap one.

tim

Tim,

You will be very lucky to get a 'cheap' one of these.

I was able to get mine at a reasonable price but that was because most of the white bricks were going yellow. For me I was more interested in the functions rather than the looks.

You could get lucky, best of luck. You will not be disapointed if you get one.

Jamie :classic:

So, this is quite a bump, but I received this set for my birthday, used, nearly complete but in good shape.

And after building it, i'm really surprised. What an awesome set this is... The functions, the looks, the special parts.

I love the use of rubber bands, the micromotor and the way you control both motors.

Though they can be sometimes tricky, rubber bands are excellent for places with little space. A good example is the powering to the light-brick. only 8 tooth gears would have fitted there, but they still require stability, and would cause a lot of friction.

This whole set says "dedication" to its development. It is really well thought-out and uses nice techniques.

Must be nice to have a set in the future that uses rubber bands, it's a nice addition to gears.

The rubber bands in this model are actually rubber belts, and is a thicker and a lot more durable than rubber bands used in other models. They came is about 8 different sizes and were used in various sets spanning from 1975 to 2001, when the clutch wheel took over. This was the last Technic model to use the rubber belts as a clutch.

Lost, can you tell me that your picture with leftovers is correct?

I am missing a few parts and want to check whether I am missing even more.

I like to build the B-model in the future, and it seems i am down in 1 change-over catch, a 24 tooth gear, 2 8 tooth gears and some other small stuff.

For the A-model i am missing a white plate 1x8...

:sceptic:

I don't really know. I think the Bricklink index is correct, but I haven't dismantled this since I first built it. I'm working on indexing atm, taking each set I have, and comparing it to Bricklink's lists. Here is the inventory for this set. The most important parts are the pole reversers and the micromotor. Those are quite expensive.

Btw: sorry for the horrible pics. This was my first review, and they were shot with my phone with no editing. Consider this a test review from my side.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Nah, all important stuff is there. The model is build and works. I'm just missing some small bits...

Tip for your next review. Place pictures in a spoiler, so we can skip them if we already saw the review, and want to discuss things like we do now.

It's also faster loading that way i think...

[bUMP]

nicolas2k5 posted this

about his fully "Robotic Lego Space Shuttle" 8480 set. The landing gear, flaps, cargo doors, cargo arm and satellites are all deployed via remote-control:

He also posted this

about the "Making of the Robotic Lego Space Shuttle":

I got this off eBay few days back ... and just finished assembling it. The set is huge, though I'm not sure I like the studded lego technic anymore. The build was complicated and prone to errors / forgotten pieces. I have had easier builds, primarily with the new studless sets. Nice set though, should be displayed and not messed with.

The one I got was at a decent price ($150 shipped), no box and no manuals though, and 5-6 missing pieces. One word of caution, somehow the 1/2 toothed bushings from that era tend to break/crack easily. So, I replaced many of them with the new (smooth) 1/2 bushings, when possible of course.

Edited by DrJB