Sign in to follow this  
ACPin

Roman Turtle

The Roman Centurions march into battle formation leading the charge amidst the unforgiving landscape.

6758536255_8ebbdb9b2d_z.jpg

Click the pic for more detailed shots and various angles...

AC

The Romans formed a phalanx as well right, the shield to shoulder defense?

Anyways, pretty friggin sweet, I imagine we will see someones horde of Minotaurs here soon

They are Legionaires, a centurion commanded 80 Legionaires.

Though moaning aside this is a good moc and I wish I had as many Legionaires.

A Centurian commanded 100 Legionaires. Hence the root "cent" as in "century"-100 years.

very nice, i was waiting for someone to this this. it is true that the root of cent is 100 however a centurion did only command 80 legionnaires like venios has said before

very nice, i was waiting for someone to this this. it is true that the root of cent is 100 however a centurion did only command 80 legionnaires like venios has said before

*huh* I didn't realize that.

Great little MOC. Although the commander on horseback wouldn't have carried a shield while mounted like that it still looks great.

No, the phalanx was a "trademark" Greek formation. It requires a spear to form and the "spear" that the Romans used was called a Pilum. It was designed to be thrown before advancing to within melee range for butcher's work with the gladius. The pilum was also quite intriguing in that it had a very narrow, elongated tip made of soft iron with a bulky, heavy handled shaft so that when it stuck in an enemy or the ground the handle would weigh down the tip causing it to bend. With the bent end it couldn't be picked by the enemy and thrown back at the advancing Legionaries.

Thanks for sharing another one of you dioramas. It's funny because whenever my son sees dioramas on my computer he asks me "Did the AC guy make that?" We're both fans of your work. Seeing your Romans in formation really leaves me wanting Lego to make some kind of "Civilizations" theme. That would be awesome.

:drool::moar::drool::moar::drool::moar::drool::moar:

:laugh:

Very nice! You want to lend me some of those centurions? :wink::blush:

Not anytime soon!

well, this was bound to happen :)

Beat them to it!

That looks really great. I need to take some time to set up a few big scnenes like this with my own Lego.

You should and be sure to post it here in EB.

Anyways, pretty friggin sweet, I imagine we will see someones horde of Minotaurs here soon

That's for Spartans not Romans.

Awesome it looks fantastic, I can't wait to get my hands on some of the Romans.

They're starting to show up in the stores so go get them!

Wow, so many soldiers! :drool: It does look fairly accurate though! :thumbup:

Tried to do it based from some pics on the web.

A Centurian commanded 100 Legionaires. Hence the root "cent" as in "century"-100 years.

*huh* I didn't realize that.

Me too and thanks for the history lesson! :blush:

Most impressive, AC. :thumbup:

Dagobah is a very unforgiving landscape. :tongue:

Shhhh! You're blowing my cover! *oh2*

Great little MOC. Although the commander on horseback wouldn't have carried a shield while mounted like that it still looks great.

No, the phalanx was a "trademark" Greek formation. It requires a spear to form and the "spear" that the Romans used was called a Pilum. It was designed to be thrown before advancing to within melee range for butcher's work with the gladius. The pilum was also quite intriguing in that it had a very narrow, elongated tip made of soft iron with a bulky, heavy handled shaft so that when it stuck in an enemy or the ground the handle would weigh down the tip causing it to bend. With the bent end it couldn't be picked by the enemy and thrown back at the advancing Legionaries.

I should've read more about them. :grin:

Thanks for sharing another one of you dioramas. It's funny because whenever my son sees dioramas on my computer he asks me "Did the AC guy make that?" We're both fans of your work. Seeing your Romans in formation really leaves me wanting Lego to make some kind of "Civilizations" theme. That would be awesome.

Have you shown your son the rest of the site? Though 75% of my works are SW themed,I do the other themes from time to time. I do appreciate you mentioning about your son liking my works as it brings back memories of the kids whom I've met and talked to when the Lego store had some of my works on display.

AC

Are the capes red or dark red or a mixture?

The commander and standard bearer look like dark-red, but the rest look like regular red. That's just how it looks to me though.

Very cool tortoise formation, I really want the Romans now, good job :thumbup:

Small army for starters and it will get bigger!

Are the capes red or dark red or a mixture?

Both.

The commander and standard bearer look like dark-red, but the rest look like regular red. That's just how it looks to me though.

You're right on!

AC

Have you shown your son the rest of the site? Though 75% of my works are SW themed,I do the other themes from time to time. I do appreciate you mentioning about your son liking my works as it brings back memories of the kids whom I've met and talked to when the Lego store had some of my works on display.

My son is very familiar with your site. We've been folowing your SW dioramas for about 2-yrs now. It's funny because one of the first times my son saw your work, he asked how much the set cost because he wanted it. In fact, he's about ready to start making dioramas of his own. The only problem he's coming across is the amount of bricks/elements/colors we have in our collection. We're slowly but surely getting more though.

My son is very familiar with your site. We've been folowing your SW dioramas for about 2-yrs now. It's funny because one of the first times my son saw your work, he asked how much the set cost because he wanted it. In fact, he's about ready to start making dioramas of his own. The only problem he's coming across is the amount of bricks/elements/colors we have in our collection. We're slowly but surely getting more though.

It's just been a couple of years that I've started posting my works as I went on a self-imposed hiatus in late 2008 thru 2009 for reasons I won't disclose. That's exactly the same response that the Lego store staff had to answer when my works were on display. At least he's got plenty of reference works to start with as the LSW forum got a lot from the various members as well if you check the MOC index. My advice is to start small and with a familiar scene so that it will be easier to compare it with the completed MOC.

AC

I think the centurions know something the rider doesn't...

these Romans were made to be put together, they look great