Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Lord Of The Rings Discussions

With the Lord Of The Rings theme being officially confirmed, the Eurobricks staff has decided to put this new theme in the "LEGO Historic Themes" forum. This means that it will not go to the "LEGO Licensed" forum and the ongoing discussion thread about Lord Of The Rings is now moved to "LEGO Historic Themes".

"LEGO Historic Themes" will get a sub-forum for our very successful community castle build "Guilds of Historica".

For those interested, here's our reasoning:

- LotR is probably replacing most normal Historic themes, so the Historic forum would be left without a new theme for most of LotR's run if it doesn't get LotR.

- We're all fans of LotR, but the Historic Themes frequenters probably have most of the largest fans, so there would be less point in redirecting them to the Licensed forum when we could put LotR where the biggest fans already are.

- LotR fits in well with the existing "Historic" LEGO themes because most of them involve non-factual aspects such as dragons and magicians.

- Our "LEGO Licensed" forum will be just mighty fine with its own spankin' brand new Super Heroes (Marvel/DC) products of its own for next year, so both forums will be filled with exciting news, discussions, set reviews, and MOCs based on their respective product lines.

The Eurobricks Staff

Fair enough... I really can't wait for these sets, I wonder what a Gollum minifig would look like? And I wonder if the orcs would have custom made faces?

I think, moving the stuff around was a very good idea. I like the new arrangement! :thumbup:

Those of you who have been following my LEGO career know that I build a ton in LOTR. I have had series of hints recently that this was coming, so for the CCC I started to build Hobbit creations instead of the typical castle(this is proof that LOTR can replace history/castle). The timing was absolutely perfect on my part.

PROS:

For me, I am totally excited about this prospect. I have waited over 10 years of my life for this time, and the availability of LEGO LOTR sets is just making me dizzy. The new sets and pieces that will be coming are just unimaginable. Totally stoked for this.

CONS:

I can't help but have a certain reluctance about the licensing as well. The fact that I will now be building in a licensed theme kinda makes me sad. That is a major reason I have stayed out of StarWars, if only for the fact that it is way too popular(debatable). However, I think that because people know that I have been building LOTR long before LEGO announced this, I feel that I can still have some credit left as being a creative thinker(not saying you SW guys aren't). My second nitpick with the license is that it will be replacing the history sets. For how often I get the history sets, I probably won't notice a change. But for the periodic few that I get, I will be missing them. This also depends on how good the LOTR sets will be. In my eyes, I can see them being exactly the same as the POTC sets-- which I am not a fan of.

I don't know what to make of this boyos. The entire community is getting pretty excited about this, while I have some qualms. Time will tell, and I suppose the ultimate satisfaction will be in actual seeing the sets.

Just my 2 cents as a loyal LOTR/castle builder

-Blake

When I first heard news that Lotr was confirmed, I was sure that it should be put in the history forum. So I thought that maybe a lotr subforum would do. But moving the guilds of historica is a lot better! Good idea staff. :thumbup:

I still don't see how Lotr is a historic theme and Pirate of the Carribean isn't?

They are both Licenced and based on movies that were/are due to come out... and both themes die just after the movies are released. The people who view the historic themes are different from those who view the franchised forums.

Can we put Lotr in a sub forum inside historic so that the forum viewers who are actually interested in Lego's own historic creations don't get flooded with the franchise of the month sets.

I still don't see how Lotr is a historic theme and Pirate of the Carribean isn't?

They are both Licenced and based on movies that were/are due to come out... and both themes die just after the movies are released. The people who view the historic themes are different from those who view the franchised forums.

Can we put Lotr in a sub forum inside historic so that the forum viewers who are actually interested in Lego's own historic creations don't get flooded with the franchise of the month sets.

I don't understand how you CAN'T see that the Pirates of the Carribean should be in the Pirate forum.

How much clearer can it get? They are Pirates :wacko:

I have my reasons why the LOTR stuff should be in licensed and why it should be in the History forum, but it's not my decision and at the end of the day, we all have access to all these forums, so lets not complain about it.

Well, PotC could very well be located in Historic forum if the Pirates didn't have it's own one. Besides, there has always been different interest groups in all the subforums. Historic includes such diverse themes as Ninja, Fantasy Era, Kingdoms and Western, for example. Fantasy Era has even less to do with history of the real world than the Lord of the Rings.

Why don't we just call the Licensed forum the Superhero forum? :wacko: Prince of Persia is as 'Historic' as Lord of the Rings. (Not being sarcastic there.) The only licensed theme I can think of besides superheroes/Batman/Spiderman is Harry Potter.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand why this had been done - but it's really making the licensed forum redundant, isn't it? :sceptic:

Thanks for moving Guilds of Historica to a specific sub-forum. Because it was kinda invading the whole Historic Theme forum, couldn't see anything else than guild MOC topics. :)

I think this and the guild subforum are good ideas. I would like to put forward that we get a locked no-nonsense news topic like the Star Wars forum's "All the news with no fuzz" as the LOTR 2012 topic is already over 60 pages before we really have any info...

All:

I removed some posts from this topic that were about discussing the upcoming LoTR line. For that purpose we have a topic in the History forum

I someone else's post about the Licensed forum description and realized that there's something "vexing" me about the new Historic Themes forum. You have "Lord Of The Rings" (capital of/the), but under other themes, the 'of' and 'the' are not capitalized ("Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Age of Sail" under Pirates). So I suggest making 'of' and 'the' in the Historic Themes description all lowercase (I'm pretty sure that's proper English to not capitalize them).

Edited by Erynion

I someone else's post about the Licensed forum description and realized that there's something "vexing" me about the new Historic Themes forum. You have "Lord Of The Rings" (capital of/the), but under other themes, the 'of' and 'the' are not capitalized ("Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Age of Sail" under Pirates). So I suggest making 'of' and 'the' in the Historic Themes description all lowercase (I'm pretty sure that's proper English to not capitalize them).

Good suggestion, a bit of consistency can never hurt.

I assume this applies to "The hobbit" theme aswell, as it is NOT the same as lotr, I would like it to be added to the text description of the forum.

I assume this applies to "The hobbit" theme aswell, as it is NOT the same as lotr, I would like it to be added to the text description of the forum.

Indeed, though both are part of the same overall mythos / universe / franchise / license / whatever. :thumbup:

I personally would recommend using "Middle-earth" in the forum description to refer to everything based on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (as well as anything else derived from the rest of Tolkien's literary world). "Middle-earth" is both more comprehensive and more concise than "The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings." Even if Peter Jackson and the other powers-that-be never elect to adapt further Middle-earth books to the screen (which we might reasonably expect to continue to provide inspiration for official LEGO sets, should those movies happen), surely some of the more devoted Tolkien fans here will eventually create MOCs based on the greater Middle-earth world anyway, and surely those should go into the same place as discussions of MOCs and official sets based on the movies we already have or are getting this year and next.