kyphur

Building Instructions by Me (Kyphur)

I know none of my designs aren't complex or anything but I like them and have received positive feedback here regarding them so I want to share them with everyone.

Edited by kyphur

Do you think Active End Of Line Buffer (on Flex Track) with the LDD file we can order it directly from Lego...? lol

I'm kind of lazy...

and does the buffer actually move with the spring when train hit on it? :thumbup:

Do you think Active End Of Line Buffer (on Flex Track) with the LDD file we can order it directly from Lego...? lol

I'm kind of lazy...

Well I don't use LDD, I'm a LDraw/MLCad guy. If you like LDD then there's nothing stopping you from going that route though I'd recommend you check BrickLink for the parts and compare cost before buying direct from TLG.

and does the buffer actually move with the spring when train hit on it?

Yes, the "Active" part of the EOL Buffer actually works and it takes quite a hit without derailing the train!

Well I don't use LDD, I'm a LDraw/MLCad guy. If you like LDD then there's nothing stopping you from going that route though I'd recommend you check BrickLink for the parts and compare cost before buying direct from TLG.

Yes, the "Active" part of the EOL Buffer actually works and it takes quite a hit without derailing the train!

LOL...let me try to find...but need to find out some of the parts number

Thanks for your great design!

n...I guess everyone would like to watch a movie? =]

At least I hope to see one...haha...see if you can make one plz

LOL...let me try to find...but need to find out some of the parts number

Thanks for your great design!

Here's your parts list:

..Qty Color......Part no..... Part name

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....1 Black......2436........ Bracket 1 x 2 - 1 x 4

....1 White......4070........ Brick 1 x 1 with Headlight

....2 Black......3004........ Brick 1 x 2

....4 Black......3024........ Plate 1 x 1

....1 Trans_Red..4073........ Plate 1 x 1 Round

....1 Black......3023........ Plate 1 x 2

....2 Black......3623........ Plate 1 x 3

....5 Black......3666........ Plate 1 x 6

....1 Black......3022........ Plate 2 x 2

....4 Black......3021........ Plate 2 x 3

....1 Black......3020........ Plate 2 x 4

....1 Black......3034........ Plate 2 x 8

....2 Black......85984........Slope Brick 31..1 x 2 x 0.667

....2 Black......3660........ Slope Brick 45..2 x 2 Inverted

....2 Black......32316........Technic Beam..5

....2 Black......6541........ Technic Brick 1 x 1 with Hole

....2 Black......3700........ Technic Brick 1 x 2 with Hole

....1 Dark_Gray..32002........Technic Pin..3/4

....4 Black......4459........ Technic Pin with Friction

....1 Light_Gray 731c01...... Technic Shock Absorber..6.5L (Complete)

....2 Black......2412b........Tile 1 x 2 Grille with Groove

....2 Red........2412b........Tile..1 x 2 Grille with Groove

....1 White......2412b........Tile 1 x 2 Grille with Groove

....2 Black......6636........ Tile 1 x 6

....1 Black......3068b........Tile 2 x 2 with Groove

....1 Black......87580........Tile 2 x 2 with Groove and 1 Stud

....1 Black......2460........ Tile 2 x 2 with Pin

....1 Black......4022........ Train Buffer Beam

....2 Dark_Gray..64022........Train Track Flexible Segment (Complete, Straight)

n...I guess everyone would like to watch a movie? =]

At least I hope to see one...haha...see if you can make one plz

I might get around to shooting a little video this weekend, if I do I'll post the link here.

I'm kind of lazy...

and does the buffer actually move with the spring when train hit on it? :thumbup:

If you use LDD, and are thinking of ordering direct from LEGO, here is some advice:

The Design By Me function (where you by your design straight from LEGO) usually runs about twice as much compared to buying the parts straight from LEGO using Pick A Brick. Here is the one catch....LDD will not give you a parts list. To bypass this, I use an Access DB called LDD Manager, where you upload your LDD file into it, and it provides you with a parts list. The parts list even tells you if Pick A Brick sells that part (if you are not using LDD Extended, then all the parts should be on PAB). It will also create a file that can be uploaded straight into BrickLink as a wanted list. The program is free online, and even has available a version of Access that is shareware (if you don't have MS Office).

The standard mode of LDD only allows you to use bricks that are currently available through Pick A Brick. LDD does have an extended mode, which allows you to use virtually any part LEGO has ever made (and make it in any color regardless of if it was ever made in that color). Using this mode prevents you from using Design By Me pricing and ordering, but allows you to do just about anything. There are directions somewhere on here on how to activate LDD Extended mode...it takes adding a line of code to the start up script. So if you are looking for something beyond LEGO's inventory, and are comfortable using BrickLink, this option (combined with LDD Manager) is great.

I have found that some parts (on the part list) from LDD Manager says LEGO does not sell it currently, but in reality it does. The PAB prices are not that bad (compared to BrickLink)...you don't have to worry about the quality of the part, and they are always new....and you don't have to worry about dealing with the few sellers on BrickLink that are slow shippers, or provide misleading part descriptions (rare occurances, but still possible).

For the EOL buffer, can you recommend which shock absorber to use? On Bricklink some appear as hard, soft and normal varieties?

Is there one more suitable than the others for an impact by a train?

For the EOL buffer, can you recommend which shock absorber to use? On Bricklink some appear as hard, soft and normal varieties?

Is there one more suitable than the others for an impact by a train?

I use normal but soft works ok. I think hard are too stiff.

The buffer is really cool, thanks for sharing. I've been wanting a buffer for my train for quite a while now, but didn't have the time to design one.

Thanks for the instructions. In a time when people are selling other peoples instructions it's refreshing to see someone willing to share their own for free.

I use normal but soft works ok. I think hard are too stiff.

I ordered "soft", so hopefully it should be OK.

I also copied your instructions into LDD, then modified them slightly to incorporate a Mindstorms touch sensor (long story behind this - a WIP experiment actually).

Can't wait to build these for real. They are such a cool, small, realistic looking design!!!

I also really appreciate your posting the instructions and parts list for the EOL Buffer. Very neat. I happened to get a shock absorber in (old) dark gray from a ebay pieces lot, so I'm on my way to building one. Yay!

Edited by domboy

Good stuff.. Thanks for sharing.. I could've have used the level crossing over flex track the other day when we were re-building our city layout. Bookmarked for later :-)

-Mike