Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

@ZC I was thinking about making the same exact gates and walls!? Your whole build is very similar to what I have been thinking about doing but on a smaller scale. Nice build!

@ZC I was thinking about making the same exact gates and walls!? Your whole build is very similar to what I have been thinking about doing but on a smaller scale. Nice build!

As in you were planning on doing something similar, but smaller, or you were planning something more grand?

Those gates are made mostly out of technic liftarms. It is a cool technique, but you need like 200 zillion of them to make a structure... and then if you are megablock like me, you cover half the walls up with a wooden fence!

As in you were planning on doing something similar, but smaller, or you were planning something more grand?

Those gates are made mostly out of technic liftarms. It is a cool technique, but you need like 200 zillion of them to make a structure... and then if you are megablock like me, you cover half the walls up with a wooden fence!

Similar but smaller and minus the technics parts.

Amazing build again Cereberus. I love it. I too will comment fully once it has it's own page.

Minnesota you say...

Thank you Mikey and dG.

That stone technique was borrowed from Tiberium Blue. You can look him up on Flickr.

I recognized Tiberium Blue technique. His T'Met Monestary is one of my favorite MOC of all time.

Looking forward to seeing more photos of this build. Again Nice one Guildsman!

Lego just announced that there opening a new store IN MY TOWN! It will be less than 5 miles away! I will be making so many excuses to visit that mall, and probably blowing my paychecks on the PAB wall. So Excited! :wub:

Lego just announced that there opening a new store IN MY TOWN! It will be less than 5 miles away! I will be making so many excuses to visit that mall, and probably blowing my paychecks on the PAB wall. So Excited! :wub:

Oh- yeah? We only have one in the entire state as far as I know.

I am guessing you are a cheesehead :laugh:

Oh- yeah? We only have one in the entire state as far as I know.

I am guessing you are a cheesehead :laugh:

Indeed. I have friend's that live close to yours, but it's a 5-6 hour drive, and a good 2.5 - 3 hours to the Chicago suburb location - although there is a Lego store and a non-lego store within half a mile of each other, and they each have PAB walls, with different pieces, so it is usually worth a visit.

your a lucky man! Still nothing closer than 3 plus hours for me. And I just found out that my trip to Legoland and Orlando in April might not happen. sigh...at least I have bricklink

I've decided not to enter in round 2. I don't have enough parts to enter.(Captain BeerBeard feel's very poor) This hobby costs more than mtg. I'm going to have to order from LEGO's PAB if I want to continue. I can't keep up with any of the awesome builders here. I'm going to have to take a break from building for Avalonia. I just can't afford my idea's or LEGO's PAB right now.

I've decided not to enter in round 2. I don't have enough parts to enter.(Captain BeerBeard feel's very poor) This hobby costs more than mtg. I'm going to have to order from LEGO's PAB if I want to continue. I can't keep up with any of the awesome builders here. I'm going to have to take a break from building for Avalonia. I just can't afford my idea's or LEGO's PAB right now.

Do you have to keep your mocs assembled? My collection isn´t that big either so I tear down my moc after I photgraphed them!

Do you have to keep your mocs assembled? My collection isn´t that big either so I tear down my moc after I photgraphed them!

There will come a moment where I will have to do the same :(

But I hope that moment will wait a bit before hitting me!

Lego's PAB is way more expensive than Bricklink if you are ordering online. Go the bricklink route.

For those who feel you are struggling to keep up with other builders in terms of parts, don't feel you have to! There are plenty of interesting designs im sure you could come up with using your exsisting parts. I have a few ideas that I want to try using dark red, but dark red is not a color that I ever really stocked up on. To build what I have in mind, I will probably need another additional 400 dark red tiles and plates, but I really can't afford to be buying them right now. So instead I have been looking at what exsisting colors I have got that I don't use. Through all the sets I've bought I have discovered I've got quite a bit of Lime green, sand blue and turquiose. I never use these colors, but you would be surprised how well they actually work. Using a lime green roof with a white and dark brown building just shouldn't work, but it does :laugh:, and can give a moc a whole different look. The Mystic Isles is a place that I figure 'anything goes' so I'm working on a few builds for that area using odd colorschemes. Its always a good idea to have a look through you collections and see what you have that you don't usually use and give it a try. There will always be a chance to buy the special parts you want in the future when you have the means. I'm just gonna have to wait for a while till I can get the dark red parts I need, but thats cool, theres always something I can build in the meantime. Its great that you are all getting ideas of things you want to build, but Lego is an expensive hobby unfortunatly :hmpf_bad: I feel somewhat responsible for my OTT parts-extensive ideas I have posted :laugh: I am really impressed with the quality of builds you have all produced, there is a lot of talented builders in this guild and I look to seeing your future mocs. Its just annoying that it always seems to be the way that when you get a new idea for a moc it always requires pieces that we havn't got, so we end up having to spend!!!

I too am to the point where I can't afford to Bricklink for a little while. I dropped at least $100 on each on the first two contests, and I've been buying parts for miscellaneous builds to come as well. I am loathe to tear down my Embassy, but it has some key parts that I will need to build my next big MOCs. I'm trying to come up with small MOCs, but I can only think of big ways to do them. I think I am going to try a few indoor - interior only builds, which theoretically would be much simpler to build... we'll see about that.

I have been trying to focus my BL orders on universal pieces though - I figured the tree parts for my Embassy would be useful for tons of things, and I went from having 10 1x1 modified bricks with 1 stud to about 400 now in assorted colors, which I hope to start using in traditional Avalonian buildings.

I can relate to the budget tightening on Bricklink! I look at all the orders I have placed since November the total of how much I spent! It's kind of scary! I figure though if I have keep my Bricklink budget down to about $50 a month, keep looking for deals on craigslist, ebay and yardsales and recycle my builds I should have a nice collection of parts. Then perhaps I can tackle a large project like Mayday Artist or DC's village.

now off to put the finishing details on my embassy!

I can relate to the budget tightening on Bricklink! I look at all the orders I have placed since November the total of how much I spent! It's kind of scary! I figure though if I have keep my Bricklink budget down to about $50 a month, keep looking for deals on craigslist, ebay and yardsales and recycle my builds I should have a nice collection of parts. Then perhaps I can tackle a large project like Mayday Artist or DC's village.

now off to put the finishing details on my embassy!

I know what you mean... to build my "kaliphlin" collection of white and tan, it has cost way too much. Even getting lucky at some PAB walls. When I chose Kaliphlin, I figured I would just stock up on PQ and PoP sets at cheap discounted prices. Well I missed the period where target discounted them, and TRU still hasn't bothered to discount them even know they still have a ton around here. So I spent most of my money on Bricklink. Funny enough, the whole reason I didn't originally join Avalonia was because I thought it would be too expensive to buy trees!

Also, on the subject of buying Lego second hand - I never have any luck at garage sales! No one ever has Lego it seems. Also, it seems like the bulk lots on ebay are getting more and more expensive (There are probably too many of us here bidding against one another!)

I know what you mean... to build my "kaliphlin" collection of white and tan, it has cost way too much. Even getting lucky at some PAB walls. When I chose Kaliphlin, I figured I would just stock up on PQ and PoP sets at cheap discounted prices. Well I missed the period where target discounted them, and TRU still hasn't bothered to discount them even know they still have a ton around here. So I spent most of my money on Bricklink. Funny enough, the whole reason I didn't originally join Avalonia was because I thought it would be too expensive to buy trees!

Also, on the subject of buying Lego second hand - I never have any luck at garage sales! No one ever has Lego it seems. Also, it seems like the bulk lots on ebay are getting more and more expensive (There are probably too many of us here bidding against one another!)

You've gotta visit a ton of garage sales to find Legos, they can be found but they are rare. The best thing to do is visit Craigslist constantly. That is where I've had the best luck.

You've gotta visit a ton of garage sales to find Legos, they can be found but they are rare. The best thing to do is visit Craigslist constantly. That is where I've had the best luck.

same here. got 75 lego trees including (7 cypress trees, and two palms along with dozens of pine and fruit trees) for $20 bucks, my best find so far. there is a guy selling his entire collection (he has an entire set up: storage bins, three 6 foot tables and what he claims is lego worth more than $6000) near here for $3,000 bucks but doesn't seem to want to part it out.

@ kerntechniker, nice embassy starting to really like wood and stone look. Ill post more it your thread in a bit.

I buy LEGO sets all the time but it just seems that nothing good comes in any set. I bought the crap out of Kingdoms. I have a ton of crap parts from it. I hate how all you really get from buying sets is figures. LEGO needs to release a castle part pack or something.The LOTR theme dosen't look like it will be offering much in the way of the brick. Just figs and horse. I don't know. I'm just going to have to simplify my idea's for now. I got a moc coming soon with a more simple look. I'm not going to care anymore. I'll get what I need eventually. I'm too competitive. I think that's my main problem.

@ de Gothia Yes, I do. I throw'em at th wall as hard as I can! :laugh:

I hear what you mean about the parts from Lego sets. There are good pieces in there, but in such limited quality that you need to buy many to get the few pieces you want. I would love a castle parts pack. In the past they had done that with arches and the like, but I haven't seen that in 20 years(when I was 2?? I wish) As far as the LOTR sets go, I am actually pretty excited at the pieces coming in there in addition to the figs of course. Helm's Deep and Uruk-hai Army each have quite a bit of bley parts, plus they have the 1x2 brick with the masonry(brick texture) front to them. It even has them in Light Bley that wasn't available before. And the amount of Olive cheese slopes and great rock making pieces in the Orc Forge looks very tempting.

I just dropped another $200 on BL this week and will have to slow down as well, so back to the garage saling for me. I have had a little luck with that, mostly because I put my wife on the lookout. She actually has bought all of the mixed boxes at cheap prices that I've been able to find. One of them had a Darth Vader fig in it. It was all disassembled and I think the seller didn't even know it was in there, but I was pretty happy!