CopMike

LEGO® CUUSOO 空想 - Turn your model wishes into reality

Yeah, it will easily make the September deadline (and doubtful the competitor will).

Which is only fair since a prominent Ghostbuster's message board initially prohibited Brent from posting about his project since the other GBs project belonged to a mod and was heavily promoted. Cuusoo politics, baby!

Other cult 80's films that should be CuuSooed

The Blues Brothers

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

E.T.

Teen Wolf

The Goonies

Top Gun

Rocky

Personally, I'd only be interested in The Goonies, and E.T.

-Sci

Personally, I'd only be interested in The Goonies, and E.T.

-Sci

I vote we put up a LEGO ET The Video Game project, and then sit back and watch the Internet melt down in hellfire. (Maybe a model of a shipping container filled with concrete?)

Some of the others you mention might be possible, but I suspect these two are too adult / "kid-unfriendly" for TLG to want to do.

The Blues Brothers would have received a PG rating but for language. Fortunately, minifigs can't speak.

There's nothing "adult" about Teen Wolf.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

The Blues Brothers would have received a PG rating but for language. Fortunately, minifigs can't speak.

But nor is their anything iconic in it hat would really work for a Lego build? The main thing with Teen Wolf is the character. Not really a place, scene vehicle or something otherwise build able? It would make for a great action figure. But I am not sure how good a match it would be for Lego?

Other cult 80's films that should be CuuSooed

The Blues Brothers

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

E.T.

Teen Wolf

The Goonies

Top Gun

Rocky

FBDO might be possible, and I would love that. It's much more inappropriate than BTTF, but not the raunchiest thing ever. Someone needs to make Cameron with his dad Ferrari. Include a Ferris figure and BAM! $35 set! :sweet:

Also, LEGO UHF... Weird Al's 80's film- a huge cult classic so many of y'all probably haven't heard of it. My friend and I are working on it. :wink:

Edited by just2good

Which is only fair since a prominent Ghostbuster's message board initially prohibited Brent from posting about his project since the other GBs project belonged to a mod and was heavily promoted. Cuusoo politics, baby!

You can't imagine the politics that's part of the Ghostbusters fandom. The site I saw is usually at odds with the you mentioned. Regardless, less than 200 votes to go!

There's plenty for TLG to object to (sniffing out the pot stash, multiple scenes of adolescents buying beer or trying to do so, sex, etc.). If by "nothing 'adult'" you mean "not exactly brimming with maturity" then I can see your point, but there's plenty there for TLG to object to.

It's not enough for the property to not be truly adult (hard-R-rated, abundant profanity / sex and/or nudity / extreme violence and gore, etc.); it has to be actually "kid friendly." You may remember "non-kid friendly" as a term I paired with "adult" in my original post specifically to try to cover everything that might not fall squarely under "adult" but to which TLG would object on the same grounds. The Blues Brothers is great (and I do enjoy Teen Wolf), but... they're just not viewed as "family-friendly" entertainment in the same way or to the same extent as, say, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Back to the Future, Dora the Explorer, Spongebob Squarepants, Cars, the Marvel and DC universes and other entertainment properties on which TLG has created sets.

The Blues Brothers is just not a kids' movie. Teen Wolf is... well, really a teen movie, certainly, but not a kid one. Some of the other movies TLG has done like the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Indiana Jones adventures certainly do contain darker elements, but are still movies that a pretty fair number of families will take kids to, and which probably the majority of consumers in the countries in which TLG sells its products consider okay for kids in the age range generally targeted by TLG's products. The Blues Brothers and Teen Wolf just aren't.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and frankly I'd be happy if I were (since I'd certainly dig having an official LEGO Bluesmobile set myself); I'm just calling it the way I think TLG is likely to. I also fully intend to propose and/or support some LEGO CUUSOO projects that I don't think are particularly likely to get approved (though more for reasons of relative obscurity than content), just in case, so I'm certainly not telling you you shouldn't try to get a Bluesmobile or a Wolfmobile or whatever. I just think it's profoundly unlikely to pass review, and here are the reasons why.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Has anyone really listened to the jokes in the Shrek movies? They are downright adult.

Also, the Ghostbusters kit has surpassed the 10,000 mark!

Thrilled about the Ghostbusters Project.... :thumbup:

Agree with you in principle. If you look close enough BttF also has plenty of objectionable material -- person gunned down, incestuous kiss, girl getting felt up, gambling, more guns, alcoholism, etc

I agree, but it's all tempered by circumstance (Doc's death is prevented by Marty's meddling, etc.), and the overall tone is one of a family movie, even if there are elements that might raise eyebrows out of context. I also suspect the movie's status as an enduring classic makes it a little more palatable to TLG than it might otherwise have been (which is something that really can't be said of, say, Teen Wolf).

I do think the Ghostbusters proposal(s) has / have some chance, though, now that they've hit the magic number of votes to qualify for review. Ghostbusters might be seen as perhaps just a wee bit more "adult" than Back to the Future, but not so much to be able to say outright that it won't happen - in fact, I'd guess it's fairly likely to pass TLG's review, just so long as there aren't any unknown licensing constraints (it could be that an existing active GB toy license out there somewhere already covers construction toys, even if there aren't actually any GB construction toys being made just now/yet).

There is something that I must point out about the Ghostbusters projects that I don't think anyone has mentioned on here yet.

I do think the Ghostbusters proposal(s) has / have some chance, though, now that they've hit the magic number of votes to qualify for review. Ghostbusters might be seen as perhaps just a wee bit more "adult" than Back to the Future, but not so much to be able to say outright that it won't happen - in fact, I'd guess it's fairly likely to pass TLG's review, just so long as there aren't any unknown licensing constraints (it could be that an existing active GB toy license out there somewhere already covers construction toys, even if there aren't actually any GB construction toys being made just now/yet).

I actually think that Ghostbusters is quite likely to pass the review and become a product, and maybe a theme. If no one has mentioned this yet; the Lego Group themselves has asked about the Ghostbusters specifically in one of their quarterly surveys. Take a look at the results:

poll-grab.JPG

Remember though, that the Ghostbusters had a very successful cartoon series during the 80s/90s and that it appeared again in the 2000s. So unlike the other mentioned 80s cult films, this one has had a specific kids approach and has had a continued screen presence over the decades. So in theory if TLG is unhappy with the content of the ghostbuster films, they could just base it on the cartoons.

Which makes for some interesting approaches, because Robocop had a "very" kid friendly TV series in the early 90s. So if a project based on the TV series were to reach the 10,000 mark I wonder if it would pass.

Edited by Legoofmyleg

There is something that I must point out about the Ghostbusters projects that I don't think anyone has mentioned on here yet.

I actually think that Ghostbusters is quite likely to pass the review and become a product, and maybe a theme. If no one has mentioned this yet; the Lego Group themselves has asked about the Ghostbusters specifically in one of their quarterly surveys. Take a look at the results:

poll-grab.JPG

Mmm, very interesting; thanks for sharing. Indeed, it's worth noting a whole slew of those individually-listed Marvel and DC comics characters have now made it into the Superheroes theme/themes, and The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings has also become a theme (or a pair of linked themes).

On the other hand, Alien is also listed, and I'm pretty sure that's one theme they'd absolutely never, ever do; it's interesting and peculiar that it was mentioned there at all. I'm guessing they included it to gather some contextual data about what other franchises AFOLs enjoy, whether they'd ever become LEGO themes or not.

Anyway, as noted, I do think LEGO (CUUSOO) Ghostbusters has a darn good chance. :classic:

Edited by Blondie-Wan

If my calculations are correct, there's a pretty good chance the other Ghostbuster's project will sneak into the same review period. (It's getting about 200 votes/ day) .

Anyhow, here are my views on the next review period:

Land Rover Defender 110 -- ~3500 pieces and expert build means this has no chance.

The Legend of Zelda - The first LoZ project was rejected because it used non-standard pieces. This doesn't apparently.It's a beautiful model, however non-physical build will hurt its chances. It will be rejected but may open the door for LoZ theme in the near future.

Android Andy - why anybody would want a model of a corporate logo is beyond me?

Exo suit -- Can't think of any reasons why this will be rejected. The model is quite amazing actually and there's tons of playability.

For "nostalgia" themes, why not Muppets? Kid friendly, parents remember them growing up, kids may have seen the 2011 (or was it 2010?) film and there's a sequel on the way.

There's

For "nostalgia" themes, why not Muppets? Kid friendly, parents remember them growing up, kids may have seen the 2011 (or was it 2010?) film and there's a sequel on the way.

Muppets will be tricky because of the need for special-purpose molds. There's a Muppets project on CuuSoo, can't say i'm blown away by it, since it's only LDD.

On the subject of nostalgia, the 75th anniversary Wizard of Oz project is smashing it. 6,145 votes in one month.

poll-grab.JPG

Thanks for posting! This makes me hopeful that the Lord of the Rings line may continue for another year or two.

It looks like Poptropica only has about 120 votes to go, so they will probably hit 10k by Friday. This will be an interesting review group.

Update: The Poptropica Bunny Bot set has hit 10k. Congrats to all involved.

Edited by Faefrost

Projects do seem be reaching the required threshold at a regular rate right now. I wonder if that will have an impact on the length of time needed to conduct a thorough review for each quarter.

Projects do seem be reaching the required threshold at a regular rate right now. I wonder if that will have an impact on the length of time needed to conduct a thorough review for each quarter.

It's more likely to impact their policy of one model from each review period (although not sure how official this policy is). This quarter will test their resolve more than any other (Poptropica, FTL and the 2 Ghostbusters projects -- probably )

Part of me thinks they might bend the "one-per-quarter" rule if there were models approved that used only basic elements they already regularly produce / stock anyway, and no unique prints or funky colors. But maybe not...