Derfel Cadarn

A Guide to building a Medieval Village

This is so great Derfel!

Two questions.. One that Teabox asked a little earlier... is there a reason to have tiles under the river instead of plates?

What part have you used to build the tree in the pic? I would love if you could give me a bricklink number. They look so awesome! :)

6241911368_e272cac2bd.jpg

Guide to building a detailed medieval village 084 by - Derfel Cadarn -, on Flickr

Thank you. Well, the main real reason I used tiles instead of plates is because I've always used tiles for water, and so i've built up a large collection of blue and medium blue tiles to the point where I have more of those then I do of plates in those colours. That's it really, although I think that plates would make the water look slightly more blue because the studs would be pushed up into the trans plate making the colour show through more. You don't just have to use blue underneath either, I experimented with some other colours, and If you put green plates under the trans pieces you get a great turquoise type colour that would be perfect for sea.

As for the part used in the tree, those pieces originally came from the Lego Viking ship, as they where used for holding the sail. I bought a 2nd viking ship off ebay that came with these but some were snapped and broken, which was handy as I then had different lengths. They are 3mm hose on bricklink and are availible in different lengths. Black is more common and ive used that for trees as well, plus grey is another good colour, as you then can have different types of trees with all the different colours.

I will post some other useful tips with my next installment tomorrow.

Thanks

DC

Edited by Derfel Cardarn

the latest stuff has been awesome. the only downside is that I've recently started a medieval house and you guide has given me so many new ideas/techniques that im thinking of scrapping the whole thing!

Great new instalments, and at what a speed! I'm impressed by how fast you manage to build/photograph/write these posts. :thumbup: The excessive use of plants starts to grow on me (for instance near the shore), it looks so much more natural and lovely than just green plates. I also love to use plant pieces, but I never went so far. I think I just might give it a try in my layout I'm working on. :wink: Those tree ideas are very nice, especially the tree with levers: very effective, yet low on parts. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with next.

This is Derfel's guide, but in the spirit of sharing... another little tip when building lattice work on corners like Defel is showing below...

6222735710_266b912a93.jpg

Some times it is simply not possible or not as secure to use the brick with one knob when building the lattice work on a corner. When this is the case, I use one of these 4733.gif with two of these 6541.gif attached to the "internal" knobs.

In addition to having both knobs on the same brick, it will also make the wall much stronger.

This is Derfel's guide, but in the spirit of sharing... another little tip when building lattice work on corners like Defel is showing below...

6222735710_266b912a93.jpg

Some times it is simply not possible or not as secure to use the brick with one knob when building the lattice work on a corner. When this is the case, I use one of these 4733.gif with two of these 6541.gif attached to the "internal" knobs.

In addition to having both knobs on the same brick, it will also make the wall much stronger.

You do realise that's officially an illegal technique Z, you can get in trouble from that! :laugh: I only just recently read Jamie Berard's illegal brick technique list. I went back and tried it again and those bricks do actually not sit level once connected, but it's such a small difference it's hardly noticeable. I've used it many times and it's never caused a problem. You should check out that JB list, it's in the EB tutorials somewhere. Interesting what Lego counts as an illegal move.

You do realise that's officially an illegal technique Z, you can get in trouble from that! :laugh:

Hall me off to jail!!

Even funnier is LEGO has actually used it before! It was used in this set mini AT-ST.

That was before this piece 47905.gif existed. Maybe they did something I didn't in there, but I use this technique ALL the time, often out of necessity.

Another thought then... if one uses this 6541.gif and this 4274.gif in place of this 87087.jpg... and then mixes the two, again, any lattice work would probably technically be illegal as well.

I will have to check out Jamie's list, but I am going to keep using it (I feel like such a rebel right now)!

Edited by ZCerberus

I only just recently read Jamie Berard's illegal brick technique list.

Wow that was hard to find. I had to eventually use Google since the EB search function never got me close.

For those who might want to read Jamie's "list" it is available as a .pdf file of a presentation he made (from this thread.)

At a point where most of us would have either ran out of bricks, ran out of patience, given up an started to cry or just plain sat back and been satisfied with our awesome work, this quote made me chuckle

I will cover this part in the next post. Once this area is complete we can finally get down to building the main village...

I thought that WAS the main village. Astounding. *jaw drops*

Wow that was hard to find. I had to eventually use Google since the EB search function never got me close.

For those who might want to read Jamie's "list" it is available as a .pdf file of a presentation he made (from this thread.)

I want to start out by saying Jamie is a great builder and is responsible for some of the most awesome sets Lego has produced recently.

Not only is the technique I use "illegal", it is the a #1 illegal technique in the guide! Maybe the AT-ST model is one of the ones that was built before the design stuff came up and the "only the best" approach was king.

Apparently using the technique may stress your bricks. However, since I am not designing a set, I will continue to do it in MOCs as it sometime is the best (and only?) way I know of to make a corner work. The rest of you have been warned. MOCers, however, feel free to join my rebel (or pirate?) alliance and use this illegal technique anyway!

Edited by ZCerberus

Apparently using the technique may stress your bricks. However, since I am not designing a set, I will continue to do it in MOCs as it sometime is the best (and only?) way I know of to make a corner work. The rest of you have been warned. MOCers, however, feel free to join my rebel (or pirate?) alliance and use this illegal technique anyway!

I did not know that either! :laugh: I've used it a couple of times with 1x2 tiles to make a nice "stone" corner. It looks very nice, but I really didn't know it stressed the bricks. I didn't even notice the difference in height, I'll definitely have to check that out.

Thanks for the link to the illegal-guide! :thumbup: And I'm looking forward to the next instalment. I'm away from my collection five days a week, but I manage to maintain my addiction of the brick thanks to your regularly updated guide. :classic:

Glad to hear you are all finding the guide useful in some way or another. I apologize for not posting any updates over the last few days, but i have been doing late shifts at work and have not had the time. The next post will hopefully be Thursday and will focus on laying out some more of the landscape and how to make it more interesting by adding marshy areas, ponds, ruins etc. Like I've always said, I will do my best to post as regularly as I can. Ive still got a ship gathering dust that I havn't posted either yet :cry_sad:

At a point where most of us would have either ran out of bricks, ran out of patience, given up an started to cry or just plain sat back and been satisfied with our awesome work, this quote made me chuckle

I thought that WAS the main village. Astounding. *jaw drops*

Well, the part I have built at the moment would make a nice stand alone scene, but that is just the mill. The main village will be to the left of the mill, as I hope to cover various other medieval buildings like a Forge, Inn, Windmill etc. That's the aim, to try and cover all the main parts that go into creating this sort of setting.

I want to start out by saying Jamie is a great builder and is responsible for some of the most awesome sets Lego has produced recently.

Not only is the technique I use "illegal", it is the a #1 illegal technique in the guide! Maybe the AT-ST model is one of the ones that was built before the design stuff came up and the "only the best" approach was king.

Its weird as I've been using that technique for many years now, when ever I've needed to, and I never noticed that there was a difference in height untill I actually read about the whole 'Stress' thing. But it doesn't bother me, if I need to use that technique I will. Someone once said "if you're not stressing the bricks, then you're not using them to their full potential" I like that :thumbup:

I did not know that either! :laugh: I've used it a couple of times with 1x2 tiles to make a nice "stone" corner. It looks very nice, but I really didn't know it stressed the bricks. I didn't even notice the difference in height, I'll definitely have to check that out.

Thanks for the link to the illegal-guide! :thumbup: And I'm looking forward to the next installment. I'm away from my collection five days a week, but I manage to maintain my addiction of the brick thanks to your regularly updated guide. :classic:

Thanks Matn, and the difference between those bricks is ever so slight, that's why you don't tend to notice, but take a closer look. I was off to a good start with the guide with daily updates, but then late shifts at work have slowed down. At least I can get back to building tomorro!

I love all your builds Derfel, so it's a great thing to see how you build your mocs. :classic:

I don't think anybody does such a superb job with landscaping, which really brings the whole creation to another level.

And this village is coming along nicely. :thumbup:

I can't stop looking at those pictures you made. :wub:

It might be interesting to know that this guide made it to the Dutch newspaper yesterday! :thumbup:

Here is a translation of the article:

Building lessons by a "Grand Master"

For advanced builders, with a rich arsenal of bricks the international internetforum Eurobricks.com is offering a nice challenge.

The British Grand Master Luke Watkins, known as Derfel Cardarn is revealing his secrets. Step by step it is explained how to build a medieval village from scratch.

Followed by a link to this thread.

Congratulations! :thumbup: This is a fantastic achievement!

It might be interesting to know that this guide made it to the Dutch newspaper yesterday! :thumbup:

Here is a translation of the article:

Building lessons by a "Grand Master"

For advanced builders, with a rich arsenal of bricks the international internetforum Eurobricks.com is offering a nice challenge.

The British Grand Master Luke Watkins, known as Derfel Cardarn is revealing his secrets. Step by step it is explained how to build a medieval village from scratch.

Followed by a link to this thread.

Congratulations! :thumbup: This is a fantastic achievement!

"British Grand Master" :laugh: I wouldn't go that far. Still, that is really cool and good to know, plus a good bit of advertisement for EB. Thanks for finding this Blackmoor.

Wich newspaper?

Leeuwarder Courant. :wink:

"British Grand Master" :laugh: I wouldn't go that far. Still, that is really cool and good to know, plus a good bit of advertisement for EB. Thanks for finding this Blackmoor.

No problem! I just had to share. :blush:

I just skimmed through it, and I must say...I'm out of my league! :tongue:

Seriously though, very creative. I wish I had the money to invest in something like this, and the ingenuity to bring it to life. I'll definitely use this as a guideline for the future castle custom I planning on doing, however I doubt if I'll be able to get them this detail.

I think Derfel Cardarn will be responsible for singlehandedly tripling LBG, DBG, and reddish-brown 1x1 round plate prices on BrickLink as we all rush out to place orders for several thousand each!

Could we modify the thread title or subtitle to something with "Discussion Thread" or "Discuss Here" or something similar? It would really help to keep the two threads distinct when looking at the list of threads.

Thanks.

Thanks all!

I have finally got round to posting another update, and will hopefully be adding some more this week. The new section covers some more rock work, landscaping and a weeping willow. Work will soon start on the main village.

Could we modify the thread title or subtitle to something with "Discussion Thread" or "Discuss Here" or something similar? It would really help to keep the two threads distinct when looking at the list of threads.

Thanks.

Thanks, I will try and change the thread tittle to make things easier.

DC

I've been following this closely for a while now, and just wanted to add to the comments to say well done. :thumbup: I've never seen your work before, but it's really great stuff and I'm really glad you decided to make this guide for us. I've always been a noob MOCer, but hopefully I can take some of these ideas for inspiration for future creations.

My favorite parts are the river and the waterfall. The way you layered the tiles and plates to give an organic effect is really amazing. I tried something similar with a table scrap a while ago, but I'll definitely need to invest in some of those trans light blue plates. I also really like the willow tree, and how you achieved the drooping effect. That's not something you see very often in Lego MOCs.

Keep up the great work, I'll be watching with much anticipation and interest. :sweet: