Sign in to follow this  
1980-Something-Space-Guy

Your favorite part of building a set?

Whenever I got a set, there was always a part I enjoyed the most when building it. When I was a kid, my favorite parts were building the minifigs and putting the tires at the end of construction. :grin: To this day, my favorite part is building the figs in the beginning. What is yours?

I firstly like opening the box and tipping all the bags of joy out, as well as opening the bags, sorting them, and smelling them :wub_drool:

I just find the general build of any LEGO set entertaining, regardless of the difficulty :classic:

Whenever I got a set, there was always a part I enjoyed the most when building it. When I was a kid, my favorite parts were building the minifigs and putting the tires at the end of construction. :grin: To this day, my favorite part is building the figs in the beginning. What is yours?

It's interesting to hear that. My son always first dugs up the minifigs/accessories and is very entertained with building them. I was never so thrilled about it, but it always makes me smile to see him focusing on the assembly. (I forgot to mention, but we always build the new sets together for the first time, except the hero factory ones that he is able and proud to build alone.)

As for me, I like to see the new parts in a set and the new bulding techniques involved in the original building. Once assembled, the original sets quickly end up being disassembled and rebuilt into MOCs.

Edit: And yes, he enjoys putting on the tires to the wheels too :)

Edited by Zeon

I'm not a massive fan of building minifigs, but it's a special part of the build for me - probably because it's the first step, so you've got the satisfaction of knowing that you've already sorted the bricks (if sorting was needed), you've got the whole build ahead of you but you have finally started to put it all together!

My favourite bit is usually somewhere in the middle, when you see the first few steps (which aren't clearly one thing or another) turn into something that closely resembles the finished product...that moment when it becomes clear to someone who hasn't seen the instructions what it is that you're building.

I really like stacking plates, unless of course it's just a 1x2 on top of another 1x2. :hmpf: It makes the build feel more substantial. For example, I was building Shuttle Expedition (albeit virtually) and I really liked the build of the shuttle, with all the stacked and interlocking plates :wub:

I'm not weird, am I? :look:

I particularly enjoy when they have me build an incomprehensible little feature of some sort, and it's not until I finish the feature and/or attach it to the main construction that I'm able to figure out what the feature was supposed to be, and why it had to be constructed that way.

This doesn't happen with many sets though, sadly...

Probably playing with it. I didn't do this as much before, but through nine RA reviews I've learned how to appreciate the playability of a set.

I particularly enjoy when they have me build an incomprehensible little feature of some sort, and it's not until I finish the feature and/or attach it to the main construction that I'm able to figure out what the feature was supposed to be, and why it had to be constructed that way.

I know that feeling SO well! :sweet:

I like completing sets, and displaying them with other sets in such a way that they become more then the sum of their parts, the Modular buildings do this, but I recently purchased the Medieval Market Village and Mill Village raid... there is now a wonderful medieval village set up some distance away from the military sets.

I particularly enjoy when they have me build an incomprehensible little feature of some sort, and it's not until I finish the feature and/or attach it to the main construction that I'm able to figure out what the feature was supposed to be, and why it had to be constructed that

This is the most enjoyable part of most any build. I try to learn something from every build, and I usually do.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Two parts: Finding that LEGO inserted unneeded parts into a set, probably just because they are new (2X4 white tiles under towers in Tower Bridge set) and dumping the parts out from a huge set all over the floor.

Oddly my favourite part is hunting the parts down before building! I really enjoy spending hours on Bricklink finding instructions, mainly old space stuff. I have a massive collection of parts that I sift through first them move on to Bricklink to find those odd parts that I dont have. Obviously building the set afterwards is fantastic knowing that ive spent so much time collecting the parts rather than just buying the set outright. Im often amazed at the amount of sets ive built from my spares box alone!

HAH...I just had that experience a few minutes ago after doing the 8190 - Claw Catcher Power Miners set. Seeing the claw grabbing and minifig launching mechanism in action was pure jaw-dropping action. If you get a chance to try out the mechanism and see how this thing works...DO IT...it's FANTASTIC!!!

Whoever designed this is BRILLIANT!

There's a definite turning point in any given set build where the main structure tips from being "meaningless structure" to "ah, I can see what it is now, that's really cool!" One finds oneself saying that a lot of the time... That would be my favourite part, I think.

On the flip side, least favourite part? Technic pins. I spend ages making sure the grooves are all perfectly positioned horizontally...