Sign in to follow this  
Cpt. Tristan

Does Lego know about Bricklink?

Hey I was just wondering if TLG knows about Bricklink. Im guessing they do, seeing as its the 5th site on the second page when you search "lego" in google, but if they do know does anyone know what they think about it? I'm sending an email to TLG and I'm wondering if it's safe to mention Bricklink.

That's like saying you shouldn't mention Ebay to LEGO. TLG would have to have its fingers in its ears screaming "I can't hear you!" for quite a while not to know that Bricklink exists.

But Bricklink does nothing illegal. It's simply a secondary market for Lego bricks. TLG probably understands that the first person who buys an unopened set in a store isn't going to necessarily hold on to the pieces forever. If anything they should probably be honored that the need for a site that sells LEGO in the the way Bricklink does exists. It means they must be doing something right. What other toy has that large of a following?

I'm pretty sure that even if you call customer service for a missing part, if they do not have it or a part not in production anymore, they mention that you go to bricklink.

Yes I called customer service a couple months ago and asked about a part. The rep said they don't make it in the color I wanted anymore, and doublechecked the computer - then he said I should go to Bricklink where he just bought the same part a couple weeks previous :laugh:

I can't remember the email now but I even had an email from TLG where they recommended going to Bricklink for out-of-production parts.

I'm sorry, but this post made me laugh. :laugh: Lego does know about Bricklink, and recommend it too people. When I was at the PAB wall at Potomac Mills, I asked for a certain part and they said they don't have it in stock. They told me i could get them from PAB online or Bricklink if I was in a hurry for them. :wink:

Edited by The Blue Brick

That's like saying you shouldn't mention Ebay to LEGO. TLG would have to have its fingers in its ears screaming "I can't hear you!" for quite a while not to know that Bricklink exists.

But Bricklink does nothing illegal. It's simply a secondary market for Lego bricks. TLG probably understands that the first person who buys an unopened set in a store isn't going to necessarily hold on to the pieces forever. If anything they should probably be honored that the need for a site that sells LEGO in the the way Bricklink does exists. It means they must be doing something right. What other toy has that large of a following?

I always assumed the "Limit x per customer" was because of the bricklink/ebay resellers.

Funny you should ask this question, read this thread on the Bricklink Forums: http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=570686

It appears Lego does not only know about Bricklink, but in certain situations, they will even make purchases from bricklink. It doesn't surprise me though, Bricklink provides a service Lego never will, or can afford to provide, by having thousands of individual sellers that together has the most complete Lego marketplace, with many parts that haven't been seen in Billund in years or even decades. It's a symbiotic relationship, Lego reaps the benefit of people being able to buy their older products and building their brand reputation, while not having to pay for production of those parts and sets.

Is it too late for me to say, "No I don't think LEGO knows."

You know for the comedic value?

There's no reason for TLG to be threatened by this secondary market. It is usually cheaper to order parts still in production directly from TLG and you can be sure that they will be in new condition. There is an element of uncertainty when you order stuff for Bricklink. You can never be 100% sure about the condition of the parts you order but that is a gamble you face with any secondary market. It is still a useful resource if you are trying to find something that was discontinued.

There's no reason for TLG to be threatened by this secondary market. It is usually cheaper to order parts still in production directly from TLG and you can be sure that they will be in new condition. There is an element of uncertainty when you order stuff for Bricklink. You can never be 100% sure about the condition of the parts you order but that is a gamble you face with any secondary market. It is still a useful resource if you are trying to find something that was discontinued.

More important, whatever Lego does, people that want to sell their bricks remain a fact that cannot be changed, and this fact is the underlying cause for the emergence of a secondary market, if you want to call it like that.

I work as a Part Designer at LEGO in Billund, and use Bricklink often to find part numbers of out-of-production parts (usually only works for the parts where the design number is engraved in the plastic). Bricklink is also handy to check if a brick was produced in a specific colour or to check the years it appeared in sets. But then I'm not that good at using the internal systems to check things like this.