Hey there!

I'm Binx and recently I have started my own Lego Great Ball Contraption. Since this is my first attempt, the contraption isn't that complex and I also had limited resources (now resolved with a visit on bricklink). The great ball contraption consists of 3 modules in series:

1. Archimedes screw

2. Jigsaw

3. Sweeper

There is currently no "bring back" as I am developing one now. The parts I have purchased will make up for a spiral lift module, a lift and a ramp that will be the "bring back". I also bought more balls since I could only find two in my Lego boxes (never really was a fan of Lego football/basketball).

Just one more thing. I once saw people frequently asking how to reduce the motor speed of the electrical motors used in GBC's. This is done by gears. Speed can be both increased and decreased by editing the gears. For example, we have a PF motor and want to decrease the speed. We insert the axle and then the smallest Lego gear, the 8 tooth. From then we can vary the speed by applying other gears. The more teeth the second gear has the slower it goes. The reverse action increses the speed, i.e. attaching a 40 teeth gear to the PF motor and then connecting it to a 8 tooth gear (torque ratio 1:5 {1 turn of the big gear makes the small one turn 5 times}).

So please rate, give feedback and share your ideas. I am really planning to expand this GBC to at least 6 modules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8U82ydYj48

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!

I love Great Ball Contraptions! Your's looks nice too.

Would love for Lego to make a starter kit with two or three contraptions and then offer lots of extra sets. Would make a nice serie.

Edited by Gekke Ted

Well, thanks for all the positive feedback so far. I am currently planning four more modules:

- spiral lift module

- chain link lift

- perpendicular connector lift

- marble tower/shovel/two layer sweeper

The latter is still undecided and I will go for what will fit in to the whole thing perfectly.

@ LegoBNX: If you want some ideas, you can see Alban's downloadable PDF building instructions for three Great Ball Contraption (GBC) modules here. Although his website is in French, if you click on the "Notices" (instructions) hyperlinks, you will get the PDF files. If you want to read the "Articles", use the online translator http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ to translate the entire webpage from French to English.

GBC-mod1_d.jpggbc-module2-10.jpg000.jpg

Welcome mate

I have just built a small Zamor GBC, I must post the video to youtube.

Your one is looking good, I kept to more simply stuff except the Zamor launcher!

akiyuki posted this

of a Lego Technic Great Ball Contraption (GBC) module that passes Lego balls cup to cup:

akiyuki posted this

of a Lego Technic Great Ball Contraption (GBC) module that passes Lego balls cup to cup:

akiyuki just posted this

of a loop of 17 of his own GBC modules, the one more crazy than the other. He is a god among men when it comes to GBCs default_wubnew.gif

akiyuki just posted this

of a loop of 17 of his own GBC modules, the one more crazy than the other. He is a god among men when it comes to GBCs default_wubnew.gif

*huh* I never thought he had all of his creations assembled at the same time!

x85

Please don't bump an old topic just to answer a question posed in 2012. He's probably found the piece by now :hmpf_bad:

Hello Uefchen,

This topic is about Great Ball Contraptions. Please don't post other MOCs in this topic.

Feel free to create a new topic, but don't use this topic for other purposes than GBC's.

Thanks!