Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Ah, that has to do with relativity and near-lightspeed travel. Basically, if you travel at the speed of light, time will pass normally for you, but everyone else around you would appear to age extremely rapidly. Meanwhile, from an outward observer's perspective, you'd barely seem to age at all.

time dilation is a crazy thing, though, so I understand how you could be confused. Just know it has nothing to do with biological and psychological aging, and probably won't come into play in a fantasy setting. :wink:

Well, depending on how everyone reacts to what just happened...your heart might not be the only one that stops. :devil:

Light-speed certainly does that, but gravity also warps space, which warps time as well.

:oh: OMG, my blood pressure just spiked again.

Skrall seems to get stuck with all the nutcases. :tongue:

First it was the love-struck Haldor, then it was the eccentric Althior, then it was the swordpossessedd Tensi, when will it end :sing:

In other news, that was a great stretch of role-playing, hurry up Doc so we can see what Flipz cooked up.

In other news, that was a great stretch of role-playing, hurry up Doc so we can see what Flipz cooked up.

That pleading won't work. I saw him logged on a few minutes ago. He's forcing us to roleplay, he's obviously as intrigued as we are. :laugh:

What's all this talk about light-speed? And gravity? I don't see how going faster than the speed of light would actually even through you back or forward in time, it would just appear to be going faster (Much, much, much faster) than normal, and when you slow down, it'd go in reverse, but you wouldn't actually go back or forward in time. If we want to talk about this though, it is a nice subject.

Why does our party keep getting dropped with the riddles? :laugh: I think Zepher can take the trophy for them, there's been more in his quests than every other one put together.

Sorry if I'm revealing too much, I just have to point this out. :grin:

What's all this talk about light-speed? And gravity? I don't see how going faster than the speed of light would actually even through you back or forward in time, it would just appear to be going faster (Much, much, much faster) than normal, and when you slow down, it'd go in reverse, but you wouldn't actually go back or forward in time. If we want to talk about this though, it is a nice subject.

First, let's start with gravity. Time and space are intertwined, and the same according to Albert Einstein. And also according to Al, gravity and mass distorts space. So depending on how close to a gravitational field you are, time changes.

Now for light-speed, light is the fastest thing, correct? So to go forward in time, you have to go faster. For an example, Earth will be represented as E, and someother place a long distance away is Z.

E---------Z

Suppose each dash is a light year. It takes 18 LY to get to Z and back to Earth. If you could go faster, you get to Z and back before light did, so you went faster than a year. The longer distance you travel, and the faster you go, the more years you skip.

Well, that's the theory or something like that.

Why does our party keep getting dropped with the riddles? :laugh: I think Zepher can take the trophy for them, there's been more in his quests than every other one put together.

Feel free to role play while you solve riddles! ALSO: I make up ALL my own riddles, so the answers aren't out there on the internet. I hate the idea that you can look it up. It's a pain in the megablocks, but makes you guys think, even out of battle. :tongue:

Light-speed certainly does that, but gravity also warps space, which warps time as well.

:oh: OMG, my blood pressure just spiked again.

I know, all this talk of physics has me freaking out!

...Oh, you are talking about whatever crazy things Arthur is doing in Quest 31 right now. I am almost sad the groups split back up, though this situation might not be occurring if that hadn't happened. Plus we have a mission to do and all that.

I know, all this talk of physics has me freaking out!

:laugh: I'm not talking about the physics, I'm at home talking about this stuff. It's the EPIC roleplaying that's causing me to be hyper, I wish you could actually read the quest, it is so epic. :tongue:

It's the third quest he puts all the riddles in, drat knew I should have signed up for that one... :laugh:

Feel free to role play while you solve riddles! ALSO: I make up ALL my own riddles, so the answers aren't out there on the internet. I hate the idea that you can look it up. It's a pain in the megablocks, but makes you guys think, even out of battle. :tongue:

That would be the boring/easy way, even if it didn't work. I use the classic method of endless trial and error. :tongue:

It's the third quest he puts all the riddles in, drat knew I should have signed up for that one... :laugh:

Well, yeah. It's called ambassadors to Dastan, I don't think it would contain that much fighting. :tongue::wink:

That pleading won't work. I saw him logged on a few minutes ago. He's forcing us to roleplay, he's obviously as intrigued as we are. :laugh:

I do have to finish editing the pics, but, yeah, that's one of the reasons that I'm taking my time. :laugh: I'll get the battle up in a couple hours at the longest.

First, let's start with gravity. Time and space are intertwined, and the same according to Albert Einstein. And also according to Al, gravity and mass distorts space. So depending on how close to a gravitational field you are, time changes.

Now for light-speed, light is the fastest thing, correct? So to go forward in time, you have to go faster. For an example, Earth will be represented as E, and someother place a long distance away is Z.

E---------Z

Suppose each dash is a light year. It takes 18 LY to get to Z and back to Earth. If you could go faster, you get to Z and back before light did, so you went faster than a year. The longer distance you travel, and the faster you go, the more years you skip.

Well, that's the theory or something like that.

If you are not interested in time-travel or anything about this subject, you can just skip all this. I don't want to go on and spam this topic with things about time-travel and I'm sorry if you think I'm just crapping on and on.

I've heard all this, but you are getting confused about the gravitational field stuff. Here is what they mean.

Imagine poking a hole in a soda can and then poking a hole in a Sherbet container (Wider cylinder).

C1=center of soda can

C2=center of sherbet container

H=holes poked in

C1---H

C2-----H

Now imagine Poking a hole through the centers of each and placing a stick through them and taping them to the stick. Then imagine rotating the stick so that the cylinders are rotating at the same speed, the hole on the larger circle will move faster because it has a farther distance to travel, but it is not actually traveling through time quicker.

The analogy of time travel with the space man goes like this:

An astronaut travels in a ship at nearly the speed of light. When he is in the space shuttle, light bouncing up and down between the top and bottom of the ship appears like it would if you dropped a tennis ball on a train, but instead, people on earth see the shuttle and the light would be zig-zagging instead of going just up and down, so when the astronaut returns to earth after only a year in space, he finds that his family has long passed away. There are many problems with time-travel and paradoxes about them, that String theory appears to answer, but some people just believe Einstein and don't think time-travel is possible.

String theory:

Basically, this theory is that anything can happen, and that there are an infinite amount of universes, each different. For example in one universe I may be wearing different pants or a different shirt, some I may not exist, some Humans don't exist, and some a mother's unborn son comes from the future and kills her. This seems to have the solution of just one universe where you can't go back in time because you may in some way or another end up causing your mother to die before you were born. I personally think that this explanation is a little silly, but I don't really believe in String theory either. I think that time-travel needs more information before we try anything radical, I think that Einstein is actually given more credit than needed, he never really tested any experiments, they were all just things he thought about in his head.

Just my 2 (More like 200) cents on the subject.

And also according to Al, gravity and mass distorts space.

Wait, where did Artificial intelligence come into this? I'll admit I haven't heard this. Please tell me and/or post a link to what you are talking about.

No, that's like saying that if a man can walk 1000 miles/year and a car goes 2000 miles/year then the car is traveling in time faster. This is the main flaw in why I don't believe in time-travel. The theory of why you go faster than the speed of light you go back in time has multiple flaws. The main is that the only thing special about light in this case is seeing. If you went faster than the speed of light the change of what you see would be happening faster for the time you were faster than the speed of light, not forever, so you could see into the future, because the light traveling from the object in the distance would be traveling to you slow than you were traveling.

Sorry if I missed it but what's the reason behind Flare/Benji's text color change to purple?

Sorry if I missed it but what's the reason behind Flare/Benji's text color change to purple?

It's on his profile, I guess he just likes the color plum.

If you are not interested in time-travel or anything about this subject, you can just skip all this. I don't want to go on and spam this topic with things about time-travel and I'm sorry if you think I'm just crapping on and on.

I've heard all this, but you are getting confused about the gravitational field stuff. Here is what they mean.

Imagine poking a hole in a soda can and then poking a hole in a Sherbet container (Wider cylinder).

C1=center of soda can

C2=center of sherbet container

H=holes poked in

C1---H

C2-----H

Now imagine Poking a hole through the centers of each and placing a stick through them and taping them to the stick. Then imagine rotating the stick so that the cylinders are rotating at the same speed, the hole on the larger circle will move faster because it has a farther distance to travel, but it is not actually traveling through time quicker.

The analogy of time travel with the space man goes like this:

An astronaut travels in a ship at nearly the speed of light. When he is in the space shuttle, light bouncing up and down between the top and bottom of the ship appears like it would if you dropped a tennis ball on a train, but instead, people on earth see the shuttle and the light would be zig-zagging instead of going just up and down, so when the astronaut returns to earth after only a year in space, he finds that his family has long passed away. There are many problems with time-travel and paradoxes about them, that String theory appears to answer, but some people just believe Einstein and don't think time-travel is possible.

String theory:

Basically, this theory is that anything can happen, and that there are an infinite amount of universes, each different. For example in one universe I may be wearing different pants or a different shirt, some I may not exist, some Humans don't exist, and some a mother's unborn son comes from the future and kills her. This seems to have the solution of just one universe where you can't go back in time because you may in some way or another end up causing your mother to die before you were born. I personally think that this explanation is a little silly, but I don't really believe in String theory either. I think that time-travel needs more information before we try anything radical, I think that Einstein is actually given more credit than needed, he never really tested any experiments, they were all just things he thought about in his head.

Just my 2 (More like 200) cents on the subject.

Wait, where did Artificial intelligence come into this? I'll admit I haven't heard this. Please tell me and/or post a link to what you are talking about.

No, that's like saying that if a man can walk 1000 miles/year and a car goes 2000 miles/year then the car is traveling in time faster. This is the main flaw in why I don't believe in time-travel. The theory of why you go faster than the speed of light you go back in time has multiple flaws. The main is that the only thing special about light in this case is seeing. If you went faster than the speed of light the change of what you see would be happening faster for the time you were faster than the speed of light, not forever, so you could see into the future, because the light traveling from the object in the distance would be traveling to you slow than you were traveling.

I have heard of the rotating cylinder, and string theory.

Artificial intelligenc? :wacko: Oh, sorry, that's not AI, it is Albert Einstein. :laugh_hard:

This is interesting, but now that we kind of said everything and explained it all, we shouldn't spam this topic up anymore.

EDIT: Wait! I think your string theory is wrong. I thought string theory was about cosmic strings. What you're thinking of is some part of Quantum Physics. (I forget the name.)

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

. . . some a mother's unborn son comes from the future and kills her. This seems to have the solution of just one universe where you can't go back in time because you may in some way or another end up causing your mother to die before you were born.

Wait, where did Artificial intelligence come into this? I'll admit I haven't heard this.

1. The problem with this is that if you killed your mother before you were born, you would not be born, so you would not go back and kill your mother, but (as she is now alive) then she would give birth to you, so you. . . Round and round (at least theoretically.)

2. I think that he was saying Al(bert), not A(rtificial) I(ntelligence). :wink:

1. The problem with this is that if you killed your mother before you were born, you would not be born, so you would not go back and kill your mother, but (as she is now alive) then she would give birth to you, so you. . . Round and round (at least theoretically.)

2. I think that he was saying Al(bert), not A(rtificial) I(ntelligence). :wink:

1. Not if you accept the mutiple universes theory. Basically, if that theory is true, then if you go back in time and kill your mother before you are born, you have started an alternate universe in which the "you" of that universe will never be born. You will continue to exist (since you came from a universe where you WERE born), but you will be forever trapped in an alternate universe that is different from your own.

1. Not if you accept the mutiple universes theory. Basically, if that theory is true, then if you go back in time and kill your mother before you are born, you have started an alternate universe in which the "you" of that universe will never be born. You will continue to exist (since you came from a universe where you WERE born), but you will be forever trapped in an alternate universe that is different from your own.

But how do you get to that universe? And then, why couldn't you go back?

Nevermind.

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

But how do you get to that universe? And then, why couldn't you go back?

As far as getting back, if you wanted to, you could go back to before the alternate reality was created and prevent yourself from creating the alternate reality. (which could be considered creating another alternate reality which is identical to the original reality)

You gotta think fourth-dimensionally, Marty.

As far as getting back, if you wanted to, you could go back to before the alternate reality was created and prevent yourself from creating the alternate reality. (which could be considered creating another alternate reality which is identical to the original reality)

You gotta think fourth-dimensionally, Marty.

That settles it, SOMEONE has to do a Quest involving temporal mechanics, alternate timelines, and all that goodness. :head_back:

Also, regarding current Quests: :poke::wink:

That settles it, SOMEONE has to do a Quest involving temporal mechanics, alternate timelines, and all that goodness. :head_back:

Also, regarding current Quests: :poke::wink:

Sisco's unfinished quest did involve time travel so you never know.

Sisco's unfinished quest did involve time travel so you never know.

True, true. Also, Tanma had an AWESOME idea a while back that I might capitalize on in the future, but I can't do anything with it until I manage to collect all the parts I'd need to build EVERY active Hero (or at least their face/hair combos, costumes are easy easier to fake. :laugh: )

Also, I wonder if/where Miracle Max (or even an Expy) lives in the Heroica realm? And if that location is close enough to Dastan to [REDACTED]?

Although, Baba Yaga DOES have that sort of vibe going on, albeit an evil flavoring, but still... :look:

Hmm... :devil::wink:

EDIT: AND given the recent suggestions... hmm...

Unintentional, but... :devil:

Edited by Flipz

When the Wren Quests finish, I do have plans for a trilogy of short surreal quests. I may start them over the summer, if Sandy okays the first concept. It would involve me running the 4th Wren Quest and the 1st of the Trilogy at the same time, but I think I might consider it.