Stefanwest

What do people think is next?

If they made some new real life engines I would like to see german engines. But I think the american market is bigger so they alwas make american engines. You can see it also in the architekture series only one european building. Some of the buildings aren`t even well-known in europe.

If it will be an AFOL model (or S@H exclusive) I would expect it to be characteristic of a well known locomotive series. EN was 'made up', but has a background in many well known steam locomotives. MT was modified from EMD series; so not quite a model of a real locomotive, but highly distinctive. These seem to come every 2-3 years.

If it will be a KFOL model (somehow 3677 is, but the Locomotive appeals to more people) then expect things with play features. But.. TLG will need to keep 'inventing' to make the series distinctive. We have had a 'Passenger' style... a 'Cargo style' (mixed AFOL / KFOL), a second 'Cargo Style' (not sure why)... Hogwarts express is more licensed than for play...

What would be really nice is perhaps a 'branch' out from the Train theme into System... a second older style tram? (although one would need to know sales figures from 8404 Public Transport to know if this is viable).

Side buildings will probably be harder to do, as who is the market? Train Children who like pushing their locomotives around... but dont care too much about signaling boxes (but AFOL's do)... Or people who like building 'towns and cities', in which case train layouts may not have much play factor.

A locomotive shed (either modern for 3677 or classic for EN) may have good market potential... but I somehow suspect the massive success of the Winter Themes may overlap for 2012; a small Winter Train (mini- steam) with a carriage and a simple snow covered country station fits very very well for both KFOL and AFOL.

I was curious what would people think the next release of a train or rolling stock could possibly be released next or maybe wishing what would be released. Personally I would like to see individual cars or track equipment. But I am afraid that we might not see anything new for a year or two.

Let's see... what do I think is next?

Last time I tried to answer was probably after the 7939 cargo train of 2010. What was next? Another cargo train, the Maersk exclusive. And then what was next? A City cargo train, just one year after the previous.

I don't really think the next train set will be a cargo train, but then this is what I thought the last two times. I just cannot figure it out :laugh:

If they made some new real life engines I would like to see german engines. But I think the american market is bigger so they alwas make american engines. You can see it also in the architekture series only one european building. Some of the buildings aren`t even well-known in europe.

The American market according to Jim Foulds is third or fourth biggest behind Germany in first place. It may be that AFOL/exclusive sales are better in the US since they have more Lego shops but that is pure speculation on my part. All the current city trains have designs close to real world European prototypes, the EN is clearly European, and the Mearsk train while being a US prototype, has appeal in Europe because it is a Danish company.

Over the history of Lego trains I think it is clear they've made more European trains. They did have a spate of US trains but they coincided with TLG getting into financial trouble and I doubt the Santa Fe carriage sales are viewed as successful, since they were clearenced here very cheaply. I'm pretty sure TLG are now following a policy of selling complete trains only now, so that indicates the My Own Train line, wasn't seen as the best method to get sales either.

If I had to guess I'd say we may see more German like engines in the future.

I would be highly annoyed if we see yet another city train i.e. cargo train and passenger train. They are boring.

I want steam trains (kids'll love 'em) and some nice simplified steam trains would look lovely. People might reply that they are too hard to make simplified enough for a kid, but the Toy Story train and the Hogwarts trains were highly accessible for children. This gives LEGO a chance to make medium sized wheels with holes in for pistons (obviously)

As for AFOL sets I would love a Mallard set.

Realistically, I think TLC will make yet another cargo train line. :sick:

Some coherence in style between the trains, related vehicles and trackside structures would be nice too. (like in the 12v era :D)

Well I hope they give us a new train engine shed next and a new Super Chief set with two passenger cars. For the next AFOL model.

Or something a bit different... a Indiana Jones track scaled minature railway as part of a childrens theme park for the city line (one can dream)... Or even a 'mine / colliery'

Edited by roamingstudio

Over the history of Lego trains I think it is clear they've made more European trains. They did have a spate of US trains but they coincided with TLG getting into financial trouble and I doubt the Santa Fe carriage sales are viewed as successful, since they were clearenced here very cheaply. I'm pretty sure TLG are now following a policy of selling complete trains only now, so that indicates the My Own Train line, wasn't seen as the best method to get sales either.

If I had to guess I'd say we may see more German like engines in the future.

I completely agree. Most Lego trains are based on European models except for a handful. I think we are going to see more European models in the future as well. I would like to think that Lego is going to put more focus into American models but I'm sure it won't happen. I think the Maersk sales in the end will be the deciding factor on how soon the next American loco model is released.

i hope tlg will release some kind of a tram set.

8404 tram is a good one.

but it needs a rail and pf

not normal train tracks.

not 6 wide wheel

Edited by legOZ

Completely agree. The flex track is not one of Legos best moments.

I agree too. While the flexi tracks are bumpy when a train goes on 7 speed [high speed] and they are bad for making level crossings, they do make sharper turns than curved tracks can.

What I would LIKE to see is a locomotive, train, and/or station that is one the same level as the Townhouses (Cafe Corner, Firehouse, Green Grocer, etc). Something that looks really good, is a challenging but fun build, and still has a good amount of playability.

Unfortunately I don't expect to see anything like this come out. The Maersk train set is the best thing I've seen since the BNSF and TTX cars, and is probably thing we'll get for at least a while.

I agree with Sokratesz with the fact that the newest train station is just bad. I don't think all of the current train sets are this horrible, but LEGO has gotten lazy and repetitive with their designs.

I'm willing to be optimistic, but I don't expect to see anything like I described any time soon...

Edited by caldwellb734

What I would LIKE to see is a locomotive, train, and/or station that is one the same level as the Townhouses (Cafe Corner, Firehouse, Green Grocer, etc). Something that looks really good, is a challenging but fun build, and still has a good amount of playability.

Unfortunately I don't expect to see anything like this come out. The Maersk train set is the best thing I've seen since the BNSF and TTX cars, and is probably thing we'll get for at least a while.

I agree with Sokratesz with the fact that the newest train station is just bad. I don't think all of the current train sets are this horrible, but LEGO has gotten lazy and repetitive with their designs.

I'm willing to be optimistic, but I don't expect to see anything like I described any time soon...

Yes sadly that is probably true from what we have seen from the large releases, EN 2009, MT 2011. Every two years or so we get a new large exclusive so not until 2013. But the good news is I have plenty to catch up on so I am in no rush. :grin: There are currently 5 Train sets on the market + 2 side structures and track! unheard of since 9v! :thumbup:

However I would not put it above TLG to sneak a new set in most likely a side structure like an Engine Shed.

also I must admit flex track is very useful for my layouts and I thank TLG for making it.

Edited by Macoco

This is one of my favorite sets:

10027-1.jpg

I sat down one afternoon and built this with my big sister. Happy memories.

If LEGO does bring out a new shed, I hope it is at least half as good as this set...

Edited by caldwellb734

Given the recent release of the red cargo train, I reckon the next train set will have to be a new passenger train, perhaps with a more American look as a change from the last couple.

Hard to guess at the next exclusive set to follow on from the EN and the Maersk. Something iconic. Maybe a US streamliner like the Hiawatha from the 50's.

I'd like to see an engine shed but it would either not be long enough for the Emerald Night or too expensive for the general Lego market.

A re-release of the set above is unlikely because the doors are only 8 wide but you need 10 wide for the EN (which is 9 wide at the piston rods) to get inside, aside from it not being long enough to fit inside completely.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Given the recent release of the red cargo train, I reckon the next train set will have to be a new passenger train, perhaps with a more American look as a change from the last couple.

Hard to guess at the next exclusive set to follow on from the EN and the Maersk. Something iconic. Maybe a US streamliner like the Hiawatha from the 50's.

I would LOVE to see a classic American streamliner! I'd buy it if it came out!

Edited by caldwellb734

Other nice add-ons could be larger rolling stock sets, like a variety pack along the lines of 2126. A big British or Continental auto carrier would work too. That way, it'd be a set with enough content for AFOLs, enough playability for KFOLs, and a minimum of additional SKUs for TLG's bottom line.

I would love to see a seperate Locomotive(s) and various cars and wagons, as well as track-side structures such as a Train Shed, and Buffers :thumbup:

I would LOVE to see if Lego came out with a tan pullman car to go with the Emerald Night.

If its got to be a full passenger set, I would hope it would be based on a 7740 Intercity Trainset.

Im getting tired of seeing Lego put out ICE-stylled train sets. Then if not 7740, then

maybe a metroliner-type set.

Edited by medib