XimenaPaulina

LEGO Star Wars 2012 Pictures and Rumors

Surely they will preview the UCS R2-D2 tomorrow after all it for sale in 2 weeks!

Wow, that would be awesome! Do you think they will show B-wing and Palpatine's arrest also?

Actually I prefer my older Jabba. I feel like it is the difference between puppet Jabba and CG Jabba. Puppet Jabba being the old lego version and CG Jabba is the 2012 Jabba. Dont get me wrong I will get the new one. I like the waist articulation and that Salacious crumb can sit on his hand.

I'm sure there's a single-pane Star Wars funny in that somewhere, which justifies the existence of the new figs if anything does.

"In thirty years, look as good you will not." :yoda:

Edited by AndyC

I'm surprised people have singled out the Gamorrean as an example of excessive detail. For one thing, its face fulfills a requirement I have of many LEGO animals, minifigures, and aliens, which is that it has simple dot eyes with white sparkles. This is a preference that the new Jabba, Watto, and other figs fail to fulfill. Note that this preference applies to regular minifigures, not Clone Wars figs. I don't like the Clone Wars figs but have no more problem with the decision to make them different than I had with the Avatar: The Last Airbender or Exo-Force themes.

Furthermore, the main thing the Gamorrean fig has changed since the previous version is that, in terms of printing detail, he's now more consistent with human minifigures. And I think that's a positive change. If you take issue with the specially-molded face, then by all means criticise that, but don't treat it as something TLG has changed, since the Gamorrean and various other alien figs have had that since the early days of LEGO Star Wars. The printing just eliminates some of the inconsistency present in the older version.

As for the helmets Leia/Boussh and Lando are wearing, they're detailed, but not tremendously more so than a Stormtrooper helmet or Captain Panaka's hat. I can see the reasons they look like action figure helmets, but that doesn't inherently make it out-of-place in LEGO Star Wars.

I also don't see the reasoning behind the detailed pieces. I love the new prints! Would you rather have the old Gamorean?

The old gamorrean with slight printed bits would do good for me, and the vizla fig seem to be just a placeholder, including its "dark sabre"

The new Gammorrean is okay, but I prefer the shape of the last one.

I'm surprised people have singled out the Gamorrean as an example of excessive detail. For one thing, its face fulfills a requirement I have of many LEGO animals, minifigures, and aliens, which is that it has simple dot eyes with white sparkles. This is a preference that the new Jabba, Watto, and other figs fail to fulfill. Note that this preference applies to regular minifigures, not Clone Wars figs. I don't like the Clone Wars figs but have no more problem with the decision to make them different than I had with the Avatar: The Last Airbender or Exo-Force themes.

Furthermore, the main thing the Gamorrean fig has changed since the previous version is that, in terms of printing detail, he's now more consistent with human minifigures. And I think that's a positive change. If you take issue with the specially-molded face, then by all means criticise that, but don't treat it as something TLG has changed, since the Gamorrean and various other alien figs have had that since the early days of LEGO Star Wars. The printing just eliminates some of the inconsistency present in the older version.

As for the helmets Leia/Boussh and Lando are wearing, they're detailed, but not tremendously more so than a Stormtrooper helmet or Captain Panaka's hat. I can see the reasons they look like action figure helmets, but that doesn't inherently make it out-of-place in LEGO Star Wars.

Hear hear! For sure the new Gamorrean is more accurate in every way, color, detail and form and for the better I say, the old Gamorrean head is a little sunken into the body and never protruded enough from the body to look articulated and being mono-tone worked in it's favor to hide the inaccuracy. Despite that I still love the old Gamorrean and I should as I've spent a small fortune collecting an army of them. It's a good thing these figures a nicely detailed to justify the hihg price point, any less I suspect there would be an AFOL Rebellion against TLG

Hear hear! For sure the new Gamorrean is more accurate in every way, color, detail and form and for the better I say, the old Gamorrean head is a little sunken into the body and never protruded enough from the body to look articulated and being mono-tone worked in it's favor to hide the inaccuracy. Despite that I still love the old Gamorrean and I should as I've spent a small fortune collecting an army of them. It's a good thing these figures a nicely detailed to justify the hihg price point, any less I suspect there would be an AFOL Rebellion against TLG

This I agree on. The new Gamorrean is superior in every way possible, despite the old one being perfectly adequate.

Wait, you built an ARMY of old Gamorreans?! :drool:

The new Gammorrean is okay, but I prefer the shape of the last one.

I completely disagree. The new Gamorrean is :drool: and the old Gamorrean is :sadnew: in comparison IMHO.

I completely disagree. The new Gamorrean is :drool: and the old Gamorrean is :sadnew: in comparison IMHO.

I prefer the shape of the old one; the new one looks too slim and like he's on diet. I prefer the detailed printing of the new one though.

I prefer the shape of the old one; the new one looks too slim and like he's on diet. I prefer the detailed printing of the new one though.

Yeah, I suppose the new one sort of does look too skinny, but otherwise he's perfect.

I also don't see the reasoning behind the detailed pieces. I love the new prints! Would you rather have the old Gamorean?

Erm yes :laugh:, as long as it had a two tone print not the one colour green.

The old gamorrean with slight printed bits would do good for me, and the vizla fig seem to be just a placeholder, including its "dark sabre"

Because I don't remember him having a blank helmet and legs with print written on them in the show :tongue:.

I'm pretty certain the Darksabre is a prelim, though it looks like it may still be a lightsabre assembly not a katana (because they didn't use a non printed katana for the fig).

The differences between the old and new Jabba, and the Gamorrean Guard as well, is comparable to old vs. new Ewoks. The molds were great, no question about that, but they were all monochrome, which gave them the illusion of being incomplete. Especially when standing next to figs with multiple accessories, such as Endor Luke or something like that.

Bring on the paint jobs, if you ask me... That's the least Lego can do for $119.99 USD!!!

Well as for prints, I say heck yes like the Gungans last year. But I do prefer the old molds to the new ones (as for Ewoks and Gamorreans) the the printing is absolutely awesome but the molds aren't as nice in my personal opinion and they could've saved something by keeping the old molds.

This I agree on. The new Gamorrean is superior in every way possible, despite the old one being perfectly adequate.

Wait, you built an ARMY of old Gamorreans?! :drool:

Well not a large army, just had a quick count around 14 at the moment, still a formidable force :wink:

I think we can safely asume that Lego is going for more detailed printing and colouring of minifigs, especially within the Star Wars line. Would like to see more leg and arm prints in the future.

Leg prints and rear torso prints are surely here to stay.

I think I heard at my last visit to the factory that printing legs and both sides of torsos isn't as expensive as it used to be.

They (TLG) have invested in new printing machines and thus it only gets "better" from now on.

Not sure about the overly detailed figs coming in 2012 though - as someone mentioned, it's getting too "action fig like" for it to be LEGO as we romantically memorize it from our childhood.

Not sure about the overly detailed figs coming in 2012 though - as someone mentioned, it's getting too "action fig like" for it to be LEGO as we romantically memorize it from our childhood.

I don't know... I rather like detailed minifigs (even overly detailed ones). Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's got to do with the fact that I don't collect normal action figures.

However, in this case with the Gamorrean, I'd say the old one's head was better. I don't know, this version looks weird. :sceptic:

On another topic, the Striker can open? Okay, that completely justifies the thinness for me now. I didn't know it could before. :classic:

The new one is great!

*Before/after*

I just don't like the proportions on the new one. The head just looks too big for my tastes.

Edited by CallMePieOrDie

Got it!

*Snip*

Exactly. In LEGO form, the thing's head is as big as its body... :wacko: Given that in the movie the body is bulky and the head seemingly small, the proportion should be smaller in the head area. Not that it's to say they didn't do a lovely job of capturing the detail. :thumbup:

The new one is great!

Gamorrean.png

It's not, it doesn't look any where near as piggish as the old one, it's to well shaped for how it should look.

It's not the right proportions, but that's because minifigures just can't be stocky. They're not slim either, but since we perceive minifigures as being normal humans, the Gamorrean will of course look too skinny. Still, I think it's better with the taller head. The old one looks like somebody squashed the head down, which just makes the arms and legs of the minifigure look lanky on it. The mould of the old one also isn't based on any source material, specifically the torso area. It's like somebody just kind of went from memory and not actual material. Perhaps the head could be a little less tall, but besides that I think this is pretty spot on.