iDave

WIP: A Lego City Street

Hi Guys,

I recently got out of my dark ages and started buying and building again.

Only problem I have is the lack of space I have, but I wanted to build a little town anyway.

So I cleared of a shelf and started building on a space of 48x232 nops!

But I also wanted to add a little transportation in the city, that's why I build in the train level crossing and the monorail in the background.

I also ordered some parts for a few MOC building i'm planning to build to fill in the background and gaps I have.

I hope you will enjoy watching this topic and see this little street grow!

5810878095_27bc76398e.jpg

5810878047_2b66b81a39.jpg

5810877973_70088b97c8.jpg

That is a nice start! Just keep building and adding!!

(Leuk begin, en weer een nederlander die de Lego gevonden heeft... (kijk voor mijn stad op Flickr.com en zoek op LegoSjaak)

Groeten, LegoSjaak

Edited by LegoSjaak

Excellent start to your city 'iDave', yours will have an AWESOME public transport system...might I suggest 8404 so you will have another bus and a tram....oh, and a street sweeper. :wink:

Keep going and Brick On 'iDave' ! :grin:

That is a nice start! Just keep building and adding!!

(Leuk begin, en weer een nederlander die de Lego gevonden heeft... (kijk voor mijn stad op Flickr.com en zoek op LegoSjaak)

Groeten, LegoSjaak

Thanks! Already rebuilding some parts and trying to add some MOC buildings :sweet:

(terug gevonden zal iets beter kloppen :wink: erg gave stad wat jij hebt gemaakt!

Excellent start to your city 'iDave', yours will have an AWESOME public transport system...might I suggest 8404 so you will have another bus and a tram....oh, and a street sweeper. :wink:

Keep going and Brick On 'iDave' ! :grin:

Thanks, 8404 is still on my wishlist to add to my city! But also the modular houses, I still haven't decided which one to get first next month or so :)

Already building on, got a whole package from bricklink in today!

Here's some of the work I done to improve this little street.

5811785498_a3d888c8b7_z.jpg

I started adding little tile's to improve the walkway so it looks a lot smoother.

5811785608_651bfe380e_z.jpg

Added a little parking space next to the train station.

5811222037_9515cab1ca_z.jpg

Give the shop something to sell, it now sells Lego :laugh:

5811785724_6c1f66e816_z.jpg

I Also changed the layout of the monorail, After the Pizza store it makes a turn into a station, due lack of space I only build the beginnen of the platform.

I decided that two large stops for the monorail was to much for this little street, thats why is stored the airport stop in its box again

Edited by iDave

The pavement looks excellent 'iDave', but the position of the pizza shop cutting into the road is a worry for me. :blush:

Still it's great work, so keep on going and Brick On ! :grin:

Not so sure too... Think i will place it on the other site of the monorail.

Hi iDave! Welcome to Eurobricks!

Nice little street, you have there, and already making some changes. An inspiration for me - I don't have much space either, so it's good to see some will to build anyway. You have some great models, I especially envy you the motorcycle shop.

When you build your town, try to consider the sizes of the buildings. When you look around in a town, different neighbourhoods often have buildings more or less of the same size. It can also show where you have your city centre, and what is further out towards the outskirts.

Laka

EDIT:

By the way, maybe you can get some more space, but putting the small buildings (burger bar, bike shop) under the monorail. And maybe you should put the railway station and the monorail station together for easy connections :wink:

Edited by laka

You're off to a good start iDave. Nice integration of classic town and City sets and I love the use of the classic roadplates, these are my favorites! :wub:

The pavement looks excellent 'iDave', but the position of the pizza shop cutting into the road is a worry for me. :blush:

The 7746 Single-Drum Roller could really come in handy here. :laugh:

You're off to a good start iDave. Nice integration of classic town and City sets and I love the use of the classic roadplates, these are my favorites! :wub:

I agree on that. Though the real classic must be the ones without the biking lanes :wink: but these will definately do! The only problem - nowadays - with the classic roadplates (with or without biking lanes) is that they are too small for the many wide and long vehicles. But even with the modern roadplates, one can have problems when the Octan tanker or longer vehicles go down the street.

welcome and well done iDave. This is a very acurate street, looks realistic. Very good methods have been used the is looking really good :thumbup:

Edited by Jedi master Brick

Thanks for all the nice comments guys! This is a really warm welcome for newcomers :classic:

@Laka I don't want to put the shops to far from the street, I think I'm just gonna build some scenic behind the monorail but not doing much underneath it, but i took your advise to re-locate the train station next to the monorail station! Still thinking to take out the little burgershop there and build a terminal there, otherwise its space that doesn't get used...

@lightningtiger I re-located it to the other side of the monorail, still have to work out what i'm going to build there, thinking of a small shopping street with apartments above it.

Here's what i've done:

5815299315_9f7b3b2f79_z.jpg

The train tracks are now right next to the monorail station.

5815865522_f7c6cdde89_z.jpg

I also made a little pedestrian crossing.

5815299383_68e6ab2e0e_z.jpg

The Pizza shop is now across the street, but like i said, still have to work out what to build around that corner...

A nice start- I like the half-train loco at the crossing, although you might want to increase the height of the monorail as the pantograph and therefore the electric cable wouldn't get under. Raising the monorail would also keep it well clear of the buildings below, to reduce visual clutter.

Look forward to seeing how it progresses. :thumbup:

@Laka I don't want to put the shops to far from the street, I think I'm just gonna build some scenic behind the monorail but not doing much underneath it, but i took your advise to re-locate the train station next to the monorail station! Still thinking to take out the little burgershop there and build a terminal there, otherwise its space that doesn't get used...

Some scenic behind the monorail sounds interesting.

But great, you moved the railway station next to the monorail station. I always like improvements for public transport, also in a LEGO town :laugh: I like the idea about making a terminal, it would be a great improvement :thumbup: and you can always include the burgershop in the terminal, unless you want to move it to another part of the town.

Looking good 'iDave', that building on the far left......either an office block or department store or even a furniture/electrical store.

Oh, piece of advice - safety fencing for humble people crossing the train track on either side so they don't stray onto the wrong part of the tracks or road ! :devil:

Still it's wonderful seeing how you are assembling your city streets.....Brick On 'iDave' ! :sweet:

Great start! I really like the use of old and new sets, you've made it work out very nicely. I always though that the shop building from 7633 Construction Site looked a bit bleh, but now that I've seen yours in a layout, it doesn't look half that bad

Great work here, the airport shuttle is prime, if only they would make an updated one.

I also spot a rouge Patrick key chain in the city too. :rofl:

The shop from the Construction site has also been put to good use carrying a good product.

A nice start- I like the half-train loco at the crossing, although you might want to increase the height of the monorail as the pantograph and therefore the electric cable wouldn't get under. Raising the monorail would also keep it well clear of the buildings below, to reduce visual clutter.

Look forward to seeing how it progresses. :thumbup:

That was the plan tho, but I'm short on a few bricks to raise the monorail station. It's just a matter of time.

I've already raised the monorail on the other side of the town to clear some buildings.

Some scenic behind the monorail sounds interesting.

But great, you moved the railway station next to the monorail station. I always like improvements for public transport, also in a LEGO town :laugh: I like the idea about making a terminal, it would be a great improvement :thumbup: and you can always include the burgershop in the terminal, unless you want to move it to another part of the town.

Already started on the terminal beneath the station and placed the burgershop in the terminal, its a pitty that it is a little bit out of sight now.

Looking good 'iDave', that building on the far left......either an office block or department store or even a furniture/electrical store.

Oh, piece of advice - safety fencing for humble people crossing the train track on either side so they don't stray onto the wrong part of the tracks or road ! :devil:

Still it's wonderful seeing how you are assembling your city streets.....Brick On 'iDave' ! :sweet:

That was a start on a little office block for the background scenery :)

Still need some ideas for a pedestrian fence on the crossing, but I think I will have that in order this weekend!

Great start! I really like the use of old and new sets, you've made it work out very nicely. I always though that the shop building from 7633 Construction Site looked a bit bleh, but now that I've seen yours in a layout, it doesn't look half that bad

Had my doubt at first to because of the dark gray bricks in it. But love it how it fits in the city :)

Great work here, the airport shuttle is prime, if only they would make an updated one.

I also spot a rouge Patrick key chain in the city too. :rofl:

The shop from the Construction site has also been put to good use carrying a good product.

they really should make an updated version or release it in a legends version with the track expansion set ;)

You spotted correctly ;) also got the spongbob version of it :laugh:

Also bought the 7642 garage today in a local shop and already fitted it in the town.

Will post an update of my street later this evening :)

A little update from my side :grin:

Couldn't resist today when I saw the 7642 Garage in a local shop here today! That's my newest addition to my street and it's now located in the corner at the end of the street.

Also relocated some other buildings... AGAIN! :p

5819111358_34eb7cd66c_z.jpg

My newest adition :grin:

5819111604_6079316620_z.jpg

5818546325_600d4bb5a2_z.jpg

5818546605_be078a7d44_z.jpg

The work I've done on the terminal, the burgershop is no to the far right underneath the bridge, still have to think how I can add a waiting room and a place for selling tickets.

I will remove the stairs on the front of the platform for the trains so they can only can be accessed from the terminal and lengthen the platform by a few studs.

5818546405_c0deb21f1f_z.jpg

A little view down the street :)

@Macoco:

5818546685_875ea48431_z.jpg

Patrick and Spongebob next to Lego Fabrik brick I got at the Lego DiscoverCenter in Berlin 2 years back :)

A little bump :classic:

I've been collecting a lot of sets the past month, guess I got 30 sets since the beginning of june.

My girlfriend is going a little crazy about it, but I'm in luck that she like's Lego too :laugh:

unfortunately I got a few big sets that can't add in my little street, but I could get some work done on the pavement and re-arranged some buildings.

First of I redit the transportion hub. I added the the shop and a few other things from the 8404 transportation station.

5934479264_2ab3ae8f2a_b.jpg

I also got the 3661 City Bank. It was the only new addition I could make in the street due lack of space.

5934409624_1e92fb7421_b.jpg

Also I got lot's of tile's to continue on the pavement, but I still came short, so that will be another Bricklink order :tongue:

5933849543_15074ba7c0_b.jpg

Still a little sad that I can't add the 7208 firestation, 8403 City house of the the modulair buildings I got.

Guess I need a little patience till we move and I have a bigger space for al the sets...

But for now, enjoy the pictures :classic:

Very nice pavement, great street scape work 'iDave' ! :classic:

Now a piece of advice, it's about the bank, more to the fact it's side windows - they are mean't to let the light in. :blush:

You reversed the positioning of the pizza bar....doing the same to the bank and leaving a 4 to 6 wide gap between the bank and the other structure to use as an alley way...the crook has to break in and escape somehow ? :blush::grin:

Brick On 'iDave' ! :grin: