Since I like to build and my four year old son likes cranes I decided to build a tower crane. Building the tower was easy and took some evenings to complete to my satisfaction. After that it got harder. It took me a while to build a rotating system that I liked. This was good practice to learn studless building.

I build the crane's arm upside down to create a nice flat surface to move the hoisting system back and forth. An XL motor is used to rotate the boom, using a clutch gear for smooth starting and stopping. 2 m motors are used for lifting and moving the hook back and forth.

I'm quite satisfied with the result. The crane is 97cm high and the arm extends about 65cm from the tower. Lifting big loads is a bit too much, because the whole system balances on one turntable. Smaller loads are no problem.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Robert1969/Towercrane/10-01-2010_020.jpg

See my brickshelf folder for photo's and movies.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=473607

Greetz,

Robert

Nice. Upside-down is an interesting method to avoid using smooth tiles.

Thank you for posting the picture. It didn't work when i tried.

Robert

Edited by robert

Good MOC! I agree that the upside down method is a good way to make the surface flat without using tiles. :thumbup:

Well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Looks nice! But can we get some more pictures? I would really like to se the bottom.

An XL motor is used to rotate the boom, using a clutch gear for smooth starting and stopping.

This is a very nice idea that I haven't seen in any other MOC so far. This will be helpful for many big machines, Thank you!

Edited by grindinggears

Looks nice! But can we get some more pictures? I would really like to se the bottom.

My brickshelf folder contains a lot of pictures. However, I just created it before starting this topic. It should be public soon.

Well, my folder is not public yet. So, some deeplinks to my pictures:

Robert

It does not matter if the folder is public or not.

All you have to do is to upload smaller pictures as described in Tutorial in link that Fuzzylegobricks provided.

Nice crane, btw.

robert can you let me see the push and pull mechanism of the crane because i mayby want to built wan

Looks a bit like mine ;)

Philo

That's true, you inspired me. And then I tried to find my own solutions for building the tower, boom, rotation and hoisting mechanisms. I saw that my Brickshelf folder is now public, including detail pictures.

Robert

Looks a bit like mine ;)

Philo

But it looks nothing like mine :P

Parax.

007.jpg