RubeusHagrid

REVIEW: 4644 Marina

Thanks for the review! I've been curious to see this one reviewed. Unfortunately, my opinion hasn't changed much. It just seems like this set is lacking the detail and the charm that we expect from TLC these days. The overall effect is very empty and sterile. And that bridge?? Ugh.

Best set of the summer line-up for sure but still not the best one as for 2011. I think the Bank & Money transfer would be way better.

It seems to me (especially after discussing it on a Russian Lego forum) that it is a bit overpriced for just 294 pieces. However, it has 5 different and interesting minifigs and all of them are not cops / fire fighters etc.

Thanks for those new pictures. default_classic.gif

The café looks abit plain and I should think lego could have done better than that.

however the shop is quite big and hardly has anything inside. I mean that oxygen tank looks so out of place.

They could have included a post card rack just like they did in the public transport set.

Thanks for the new pictures! The shop is a bit too empty I think. Do the cupboards have anything in them? The cafe is too plain. Why do they have a menu, but serve nothing from it :tongue: ? Again, does the cupboard have anything in it?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the new pictures! The shop is a bit too empty I think. Do the cupboards have anything in them? The cafe is too plain. Why do they have a menu, but serve nothing from it :tongue: ? Again, does the cupboard have anything in it?

Thanks again!

Cupboards are all empty default_angry.gif

There are a few nice things in the set like the new boat but..it seems too <insert that tiresome argument>.

It would be nice to have a baseplate also as it looks quite fragile.Still if I could find it reasonably priced

it would be a great addition to any town set up or for parts.

Thanks for this great first review! I like this set, but unfortunately don't like it as much as other, budget blowing sets (cough PotC cough), so I don't think I'll be getting this one. Might have to Bricklink the great dinghy though. :wub:

Again, thanks for the review! :thumbup:

It would be nice to have a baseplate also as it looks quite fragile.

That's what I've been trying to say (not very successfully) = It's a lot more bulky, solid. strong etc etc than it looks...

That's what I've been trying to say (not very successfully) = It's a lot more bulky, solid. strong etc etc than it looks...

Oh yes i followed what you said thanks,I don't mean just for strength..It's always nice to have a baseplate for the asthetic value

and to make it easier to modify.

A lot of sets these days don't have baseplates..perhaps a way to keep the prices down?

Oh yes i followed what you said thanks,I don't mean just for strength..It's always nice to have a baseplate for the asthetic value

and to make it easier to modify.

A lot of sets these days don't have baseplates..perhaps a way to keep the prices down?

Baseplates are indeed quite rare these days, and I agree that this set would look a lot better with one.

This question has popped up a few times lately. Cost cutting seems to be the best guess as to why TLC doesn't use baseplates much anymore. I wouldn't mind it so much if they had a wide variety of baseplates for sale individually. The return of the blue 32x32 plate was much appreciated, but how about tan? White? Maybe brown or gray?

Baseplates are indeed quite rare these days, and I agree that this set would look a lot better with one.

This question has popped up a few times lately. Cost cutting seems to be the best guess as to why TLC doesn't use baseplates much anymore. I wouldn't mind it so much if they had a wide variety of baseplates for sale individually. The return of the blue 32x32 plate was much appreciated, but how about tan? White? Maybe brown or gray?

I have to agree to this point, but only to a certain extent. Keep in mind that baseplates aren't the most widely-stocked items in toy stores, and baseplate packs have by far the least building potential of any sets (even minifigure packs have separate parts that can be interchanged with others in your collection). TLG would probably carry a wider variety of baseplates if they could count on people buying them, but as it is by keeping a smaller variety of these items they can ensure that more of these items actually get bought.

Overall, I don't want to declare baseplates dead. They have a lot of useful attributes that are harder to duplicate with regular plates. But in general, regular plates are much more versatile than baseplates, and I see why TLG so rarely includes baseplates when there are more efficient solutions for the same or a smaller volume of plastic.

Hey thanks for this review!

It has some good parts:

- New civilian fig (windsurfer) a must have for me, I love that torso :wub:

- new sail for windsurfboard

- two surfboards

- nice little dive shop

- Paradise cafe is nice

- the larger zodiac is good

- Fig selection is great, 2 Civilians, 1 Lifeguard and 2 divers (which could be civilian as well)

However some things that aren't great

- looks very <insert that tiresome argument> :sad:

- the whole idea of a marina on a peninsula is incorrect

I think making it modular where you could attach dock sections would have improved it greatly, but oh well.

Looking for this at TRU BOGO or similar sale.

Excellent review, I just wanted to point out something on the divers. If you look at the bottom of the torso on the divers, there is the top of a skull. I think it would fit with the space police legs. You could create more villains.-The Captain

Edited by Captainmorgan

Excellent review, I just wanted to point out something on the divers. If you look at the bottom of the torso on the divers, there is the top of a skull. I think it would fit with the space police legs. You could create more villains.-The Captain

Those torsos are from Space Police. Specifically, from this guy. So this set really doesn't open up any opportunities for that theme that weren't available a year ago.

I am fairly impressed with the selection of this torso for the divers, though. It makes a great wetsuit, and since the logo on it isn't specific to any theme, it works just fine in City.